1. Post #1
    July 2009
    5,881 Posts
    Basically my computer has started slowing down and the crappy little DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3800+ I have currently can't keep up with my growing number of files and advanced game technology. Thing is, I'm not sure of what sort of new processor would be compatible with my Motherboard, or if I can even switch out the processor from it. I did try Googling a couple of things, but I didn't understand what I was looking at. I have an Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM) motherboard and I know next to nothing about it.

Can you guys offer me any tips as to what sort of processor I can buy that's good for a heavy amount of files and good for today's games? Or if this old little motherboard is even compatible with today's processors.

Just for reference, my computer could handle games such as Skyrim and Black Mesa on the almost highest setting, but games like L.A Noire and Borderlands 2 lag like a motherfucker.

2. Post #2
    July 2010
    3,822 Posts
    You are effectively at the best processor your motherboard can support. AM 2 socket processors on newegg

What is your budget. Nearly everyone here will suggest some flavor of LGA 1155 board, and recommend an i5-3570k or perhaps an i3 ivy bridge if you are on a tight budget.

3. Post #3
    July 2009
    5,881 Posts
    Balls. I work at a grocery store on student wage. I've racked up a bit of cash, but I'm going to have to work a bit longer then...

4. Post #4
    July 2010
    3,822 Posts
    It may not be as much as you think. What is a budget you want to work with, and what could you stretch it too if you had to? We can provide solutions into the low 200 dollar range that offer upgrade paths down the road, and for around 400 you can get a processor, mobo, and ram that while not top of the line are all extremely solid. Even the bottom line solution would be a very substantial upgrade.

5. Post #5
    July 2009
    5,881 Posts
    Well, after I work off another shift tonight, I'll have 500 dollars to use for computer upgrades. In that case something could probably be worked out.

6. Post #6

7. Post #7
    July 2010
    3,822 Posts
    Get an unlocked processor.

Mother Board $135
    CPU + Ram Combo $259

Total cost is 400 dollars, give or take 10 dollars, including shipping. If you want to overclock, get an h212 evo for ~30 dollars more.

EDIT:

To cut down on pricing and get into mid 200 dollar land, the i3s are very good little processors. Not as strong as the i5s obviously, and you cannot overclock them, but they are rock solid little performers. The ivy bridge 3220 is 130 currently.

I assume you have all of the other components neccessary, such as a case, dvd drive, hard drive, psu, etc, and are only buying RAM, a motherboard, and a processor.

8. Post #8
    I'M A MASSIVE FAGGOT AND LOVE COCKS
    June 2007
    4,991 Posts
    you can get the Asrock Z77 PRO3 motherboard for under 100 bucks if you want to redirect some cash towards graphics

9. Post #9
    July 2009
    5,881 Posts
    For graphics I already have an ATI Radeon HD 5750, so I'm good for that.

Thanks for the advice guys.