1. Post #1
    September 2012
    5 Posts
    This is my first time trying to make a model from scratch, so my knowledge doesn't go too far from tutorials.

I downloaded the MLP Source Pack and the Source Male Pack to make my own custom model by using Dr. Whooves mane and tail.

The problem is that if I use the template of the Source Pack, the mane is caved inside the head (Making it look like spikes are appearing from his brain) and the tail floats on the left side. On the other hand, I edited the Dr. Whooves.qc file and it worked. I also added the code for new expressions and the "flexcontroller eyes range -45 45 eyes_updown" and "flexcontroller eyes range -45 45 eyes_rightleft" commands for the eyes slides like the others MLP models that can be used for SFM.

Now, the problem is that the eyes aren't looking as they should like the other models when I load it in SFM (I haven't tried GMOD because it only crashed it all the times, so if anyone can help me to fix that too, it woudld be helpful).

This is how it looks:

And this is how it should look:

If it helps, I could upload the files into a single folder so that it cand be easier to find the problem. Aside from that, I wanted to call the model "Brownie", but if I do it the problem with the hair and tail reappears, yet if I use another name (Even if it uses the same exact number of characters) it works as intended. Pretty weird problem.

I hope that anyone can help me with this, because I would like to have my own custom model, as I can add more expresions from the other MLP models instead of using a reskin of another model with few expressions that can't be updated unless you have the original one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Spain Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Funny Funny x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    March 2011
    1,234 Posts
    The male ponies, on their own, aren't SFM compatable, which is why their eyes are breaking in SFM's model viewer. It's a sign of how they work in the tool itself.

I'm betting the model will work fine in GMod. If you can't get that to work, just use the Source SDK model viewer (with GMod mounted, there's tutorials for doing that online), and it should look okay.

Worse comes to worse, you can simply talk to the guy who made the male models: http://poninnahka.deviantart.com/

3. Post #3
    September 2012
    5 Posts
    The male ponies, on their own, aren't SFM compatable, which is why their eyes are breaking in SFM's model viewer. It's a sign of how they work in the tool itself.

I'm betting the model will work fine in GMod. If you can't get that to work, just use the Source SDK model viewer (with GMod mounted, there's tutorials for doing that online), and it should look okay.

Worse comes to worse, you can simply talk to the guy who made the male models: http://poninnahka.deviantart.com/
    I talked with him, but he told me that the SFM Male models were done by this guy and can be found here: http://blackarmsgeneral.deviantart.c...-SFM-323187898

Since the models have been already made for SFM, the original author told me that he wouldn't change the code to allow them to be used with SFM. So unless blackarmsgeneral releases the source files to make a custom male model for SFM, I will get stuck with this problem.

Edit: Maybe it could be easier to fix the hair problem with the "official" MLP source models? The template of the male pony can move the eyes perfectly, so maybe it could be easier and faster to do it that way.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,891 Posts
    Just make the eyes from scratch. SHouldn't take too long.

5. Post #5
    September 2012
    5 Posts
    Just make the eyes from scratch. SHouldn't take too long.
    I'm a real noob about modeling things, and all I know is how to edit textures for reskins. Is there any tutorial that could help me with that?

6. Post #6
    Resi wouldn't listen to me so he gave me a title about how I make love to cartoon midget horses. <3
    October 2008
    1,767 Posts
    I can only assume that this will be an fucked up fanfiction that you'll make there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,995 Posts
    I can only assume that this will be an fucked up fanfiction that you'll make there.
    you're more predictable than a clock with two cogs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

8. Post #8
    September 2012
    5 Posts
    Well, as far as I think this problem goes, the only solutions I can come up with are these:

-Wait until the author releases the source code to make custom pony males for SFM.
    -Changing the eyes for the model so that they work right (Gmod model).
    -Modify the right files so that the hair and tail are placed correctly (SFM model).

I would thank all those who posted in this thread to help me. I expected lots of comments and hate because I was asking help for a My Little Pony model, but looks like I've been proved wrong.

9. Post #9
    September 2012
    5 Posts
    Sorry for the double post. I wanted to say that I finally managed to solve the problem. The code lines that control the eyes were in the wrong place and thus worked weird. Fortunately, the author told me where I should place them, and it's finally fixed. Thanks for you help, and I'll be back if I have any problems with other models.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,529 Posts
    Looks like you may need to change the location of the pupils. They are X, Y, and Z axes respectively. So I guess you can try raising the Y axis by a unit or so.

These numbers right here for example:

Code:
    eyeball righteye "head" 12.80 -18.26 197.16 "eyeball_r" 1.00 4 "pupil_r" 0.63
    Also if you have Photoshop, you can open up the pupil .vtf textures and save them with all the "clamp" options for the vtf when saving to allow only 1 pupil per eye to be seen.

Oh oops, thread was open for awhile and didn't notice you got it fixed.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,891 Posts
    I'm a real noob about modeling things, and all I know is how to edit textures for reskins. Is there any tutorial that could help me with that?
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Eye_Position_Setup

considering how the head is differently shaped though you will want a different angle to 4 degrees. Probably something like 10 or 15.