1. Post #1
    Video is from AP,
    Iran has unveiled what it says is a new "indigenous" long-range unmanned drone capable of flying over most of the Middle East, state media report.

The Shahed (Witness) 129 had a range of 2,000km (1,240 miles) and could be equipped with bombs and missiles, the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps said.

It is reportedly capable of carrying out reconnaissance and combat missions.

Last year, the Iranian authorities displayed a US drone which they claimed to have brought down electronically.

The US insisted that Iran neither shot down the the RQ-170 Sentinel nor used electronic warfare or cyber-technology to force it from the sky. They blamed a malfunction.

Later, the head of the IRGC's aerospace programme, Amir Ali Hajizadeh, said it was trying to build a copy of the drone. It is not clear whether the Shahed 129 bears any resemblance.

Defences 'ready'
    The unveiling of the drone follows a major naval exercise in the Gulf by the US and its allies.

Thirty countries participated in the manoeuvres designed to test the international community's capacity to deal with mines that could hamper shipping in the Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz, through which a fifth of the world's oil supply is transported.

The exercises took place amid heightened tensions between the West and Iran over the Islamic Republic's nuclear programme.

On Monday, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said he was not concerned by the threat that Israel could launch a military strike on Iran's nuclear facilities.

"Fundamentally we do not take seriously the threats of the Zionists," he told reporters in New York. "We have all the defensive means at our disposal and we are ready to defend ourselves."

He also ignored a plea by UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon for both sides to avoid "incendiary rhetoric" by saying the modern state of Israel had "no roots" in the Middle East and would eventually be "eliminated".

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu recently warned that Iran was only six or seven months from having "90%" of what it needed to make a nuclear bomb, and urged the US to draw a "red line" which if crossed would lead to military intervention.

Iran insists its nuclear programme is solely for peaceful purposes.
    BBC News
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 18Winner Winner x 9Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    probably just copied the one they hijacked
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 39Funny Funny x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    probably just copied the one they hijacked
    They're entirely different designs though. One is a stealth drone with jet propulsion and this is a conventional drone with a prop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    17,004 Posts
    Watch as America condemns it...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,979 Posts
    Lets shoot it down and show pictures of it in our hands
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 32Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,437 Posts
    Soon we'll have Far Wars: The Drone Wars. Coming to a theater near you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 19 (list)

7. Post #7
    C47
    January 2010
    968 Posts
    Oh cool. So now they can launch strikes against (what they think are) terrorists in Syria who are destabilizing the government. With the Syrian governments blessings ofcourse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Arab Emirates Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 3 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,052 Posts
    why does every US military news story get winners, and every iranian or chinese one get funnies?

next one will be 'iran detonates underground hydrogen warhead; unveils long-range ICBM' and you guys will still be all 'heh copied america '
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 25Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,182 Posts
    It's because they still think they have inferior technology where it's only behind by a few years in some cases and in most it's equal to U.S. tech. They like to feel safe.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Agree Agree x 5 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    457 Posts
    why does every US military news story get winners, and every iranian or chinese one get funnies?

next one will be 'iran detonates underground hydrogen warhead; unveils long-range ICBM' and you guys will still be all 'heh copied america '
    Because I assume this board is predominantly occupied by American users. National pride and shit you know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    25,778 Posts
    Because I assume this board is predominantly occupied by American users. National pride and shit you know.
    Last poll I saw, only a third of the forum, at most, were American.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    SPQR
    August 2011
    2,050 Posts

I doubt Iran will get the chance to create either

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    457 Posts
    Last poll I saw, only a third of the forum, at most, were American.
    A poll isn't exactly an accurate figure seeing as I've never voted on one nor have I even seen one on here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

14. Post #14
    SPQR
    August 2011
    2,050 Posts
    A poll isn't exactly an accurate figure seeing as I've never voted on one nor have I even seen one on here.
    They arn't too uncommon. Most of them are on fast threads

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,168 Posts
    that's pretty anecdotal
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

16. Post #16
    June 2010
    6,265 Posts
    Garry released a few user statistics a while back IIRC, including traffic by country and by device / OS.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    1,342 Posts
    The aircraft looks horrendously unstable in flight. On one of the final clips where I presume it was on a takeoff run, it was nosing down towards the runway. Give that thing a bit of wind and it'll tip over almost definitely.

18. Post #18
    This probably isn't a good idea
    October 2007
    3,401 Posts
    It's because they still think they have inferior technology where it's only behind by a few years in some cases and in most it's equal to U.S. tech. They like to feel safe.
    Because Iran is capable of producing the same military tech as the US, a country who's defense spending is equal to half of the world's defense spending as a whole? Really?

19. Post #19
    No such thing as overkill.
    January 2007
    7,999 Posts
    They don't say whether that range is the combat radius or maximum range. There's a pretty important distinction between the two.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    4,374 Posts
    Iran does generally have a much lower technology level than the U.S

21. Post #21
    They don't say whether that range is the combat radius or maximum range. There's a pretty important distinction between the two.
    They said it can strike Israel.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,846 Posts
    OKay cool so you made an RC plane with a 2000KM range. Do you have the radio infrastructure to run it at those ranges?

Plus I hope those drones are cheap, cause good luck getting anyone over there to allow you to fly potentially armed drones with the Iranian Flag through their airspace.

Edited:

Then again they allow us to so its anyone's game.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,717 Posts
    so you're basing how good military technology is on looks

"the drone looks pretty close to the US one, must have identical technology too!"

edit:

Unless you really think Iran's military is really comparable to the capabilities of the US. Yes Iran has a capable military but it doesn't have anywhere near the strength or reach that the US military does.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    OKay cool so you made an RC plane with a 2000KM range. Do you have the radio infrastructure to run it at those ranges?

Plus I hope those drones are cheap, cause good luck getting anyone over there to allow you to fly potentially armed drones with the Iranian Flag through their airspace.

Edited:

Then again they allow us to so its anyone's game.
    They have a space program and a Navy so I assume so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,846 Posts
    Iran has a space program? o.O
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    June 2008
    1,183 Posts
    Iran has a space program? o.O
    Yeah, it's called "Knock knock on Allah's door".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    September 2005
    40 Posts
    It looks like a copy of the Hermes H450

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbit_Hermes_450

28. Post #28
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

29. Post #29
    Clops with bisousbisous daily <3
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    Netherlands 6th place, nice.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,075 Posts
    Let's assume that curiosity is global.
    Let's further assume that curiosity is equally shared amongst all peoples of the world.

Here is the first-visit-only traffic to my title. Facepunch is more or less half American, and that's a HUGE majority.
    Let's assume only idiots click links in titles.
    Facepunch's idiots are primarily American.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,405 Posts
    Let's further assume that curiosity is equally shared amongst all peoples of the world.

Here is the first-visit-only traffic to my title. Facepunch is more or less half American, and that's a HUGE majority.
    I don't think it really counts as much when you start assuming things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

33. Post #33
    January 2012
    984 Posts
    Garry released a few user statistics a while back IIRC, including traffic by country and by device / OS.
    I had a quick Google and found this:

The United States makes up 33.9% of visits to the site whereas the United Kingdom makes up 8.3% of all visits. Many other locations are heavily underrepresented at Facepunch.
    http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1064727

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,846 Posts
    Starting statistics with assumptions usually makes said statistics... somewhat invalid.

35. Post #35
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    15,896 Posts

Because anything from that part of the world is not known for its "superiority" with technology

36. Post #36
    According to the info Alexa has, it's true, Americans make up the majority of visitors.

THEY'RE WATCHING US
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    RAPISTS ARE OPPRESSED
    April 2011
    12,403 Posts
    According to the info Alexa has, it's true, Americans make up the majority of visitors.

THEY'RE WATCHING US
    Doesn't alexa count people using their toolbar or something?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member

June 2005
    1,071 Posts

This is the dumbest post ive seen in all 7 years ive been on this forum.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    9,689 Posts
    Watch as America condemns it...
    The fuck are we supposed to do? Congratulate them on a job well done?

40. Post #40
    Starpluck? More like StarFUCK!!
    September 2008
    11,378 Posts
    The fuck are we supposed to do? Congratulate them on a job well done?
    No, just say nothing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Bahrain Show Events Useful Useful x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)