1. Post #1
    Unmetered VPS
    June 2010
    1,247 Posts
    This post is out of date, please see our site (http://afterburst.com) for details; PM me for the 5% Facepunch discount :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 16Programming King Programming King x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    3,016 Posts
    Can't seem to load the ordering page currently

3. Post #3
    Moderator Illuminati
    June 2006
    5,091 Posts
    Having the same problem, most of your pages are timing out.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,740 Posts
    I suppose a 30% discount for existing clients is too much too hope for? When I signed up a good while back, I only found out about the 30% for life discount a week later.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,253 Posts
    I suppose a 30% discount for existing clients is too much too hope for? When I signed up a good while back, I only found out about the 30% for life discount a week later.
    Try upgrading to the next package up, I did the same and it worked out cheaper than what I was paying before. I guess you could then downgrade again.

6. Post #6
    Unmetered VPS
    June 2010
    1,247 Posts
    Having the same problem, most of your pages are timing out.
    Can't seem to load the ordering page currently
    Unfortunately some asshole has decided it's the perfect time to attack our website/billing panel server (which is only on a 100mbit connection) :(

Try upgrading to the next package up, I did the same and it worked out cheaper than what I was paying before. I guess you could then downgrade again.
    The order is only available on new VPS orders and also upgrades/downgrades (which do, as Sc00by22 said, work out cheaper).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #7

September 2011
    142 Posts
    Unfortunately some asshole has decided it's the perfect time to attack our website/billing panel server (which is only on a 100mbit connection) :(

The order is only available on new VPS orders and also upgrades/downgrades (which do, as Sc00by22 said, work out cheaper).
    Hey mate,

Would you mind taking the time out to read a PM I sent you,

Cheers.

8. Post #8
    Unmetered VPS
    June 2010
    1,247 Posts
    Hey mate,

Would you mind taking the time out to read a PM I sent you,

Cheers.
    Replied :)

9. Post #9
    Moderator Illuminati
    June 2006
    5,091 Posts
    That sucks... :(

Change the IP and hide it behind CloudFlare perhaps?

10. Post #10
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    2,995 Posts
    Why the rebrand? I honestly liked the old site + name better.

Not that there is anything wrong with afterburst, it's just before it felt more unique and personal.

Edit: Sorry, I'm dumb - just read the OP again. That really sucks dude.

11. Post #11
    August 2012
    177 Posts
    That sucks... :(

Change the IP and hide it behind CloudFlare perhaps?
    We managed to get a dump of the attack today, was simply a large HTTP flood from China. A little PHP later and everything's running (more or less) normally.

12. Post #12
    I paid $2 for this
    October 2010
    788 Posts
    How long until this offer ends? I'm thinking about getting a vps when my shared ends somewhere December/January.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,691 Posts
    God damnit I ordered my VPS just before this sale came on.

14. Post #14
    Unmetered VPS
    June 2010
    1,247 Posts
    Why the rebrand? I honestly liked the old site + name better.

Not that there is anything wrong with afterburst, it's just before it felt more unique and personal.

Edit: Sorry, I'm dumb - just read the OP again. That really sucks dude.
    Yup, it's sad to see such a huge company forcing a small business to change name because they're vaguely similar (I get they want to protect their IP, but I really don't/didn't see any conflict in the brands - which is the legal issue).

God damnit I ordered my VPS just before this sale came on.
    How close? Submit a billing ticket and we'll see what we can do :)

How long until this offer ends? I'm thinking about getting a vps when my shared ends somewhere December/January.
    A few weeks only (basically 1 week after the US nodes launch). - We will be (of course) having a Christmas sale though - but that's normally just a quick week-long sale, probably similar percentages though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    1,355 Posts
    These guys are great - used to have them as my VPS host. Had financial problems at one point (absolutely no money) and they extended the billing period by a few days for me. Would recommend these guys if you need a VPS for anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

16. Post #16
    I paid $2 for this
    October 2010
    788 Posts
    A few weeks only (basically 1 week after the US nodes launch). - We will be (of course) having a Christmas sale though - but that's normally just a quick week-long sale, probably similar percentages though.
    So would it be better to get one now and pay 3 months extra for 30% lifetime discount or wait for christmas sale?

17. Post #17
    Unmetered VPS
    June 2010
    1,247 Posts
    So would it be better to get one now and pay 3 months extra for 30% lifetime discount or wait for christmas sale?
    Obviously my opinion is to buy now! But from your point of view:

I'd wait for the Christmas sale, if it's not 30% just give me a shout and I'll sort it out :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

18. Post #18

September 2011
    2 Posts
    Previously you could submit a sales ticket and request to have your promo code change to whatever is the current one (assuming it's better than your previous one). It doesn't stack it just changes it, so if you previously had a 20% off lifetime promo and a 30% one was release you could ask to be updated to the 30% one, not 20% + 30% for 50% off.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    3,016 Posts
    Used to be with Fanatical for a while, great hosts - would always let you know of updates/problems on their end.

Would recommend them to anyone. :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 3 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    How good are you guys at giving a detailed incident report after downtime or something like a security breach happens? This is pretty important for me.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,740 Posts
    How good are you guys at giving a detailed incident report after downtime or something like a security breach happens? This is pretty important for me.
    One time the node my VPS was on was taken offline by the datacenter because someone on it was doing SSH brute-force attacks. They kept me updated a couple of times, and they linked me to a thread on a webhosting forum about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    August 2012
    177 Posts
    One time the node my VPS was on was taken offline by the datacenter because someone on it was doing SSH brute-force attacks.
    To clarify; the VPS was trying to brute-force the datacenter's core router which is why they were mad. After we found out, we wrote some iptables rules to make that impossible to reoccur.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Unmetered VPS
    June 2010
    1,247 Posts
    We always try our best to keep everyone updated when downtimes occur and with as much information as possible post-downtime. The same applies to security breaches, though we've been fortunate/secure enough to avoid those so far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    To clarify; the VPS was trying to brute-force the datacenter's core router which is why they were mad. After we found out, we wrote some iptables rules to make that impossible to reoccur.
    Ahah damn, that's pretty ballsy coming from a customer.

Anyway, I setup a node over there, seems fast so far.

I'm not super familiar with OpenVZ, how come you had to reboot my VPS to enable the VPN/rDNS stuff? I don't mind I'm just curious. Thanks for the fast response on that ticket by the way.

25. Post #25
    HTF
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    525 Posts
    Signed up for a huge node, you guys manage to have better specs etc than linode (the main one that made me switch was storage space, linode are super stingy with it) and you are $10 per month cheaper. Congrats!

26. Post #26
    Unmetered VPS
    June 2010
    1,247 Posts
    Anyway, I setup a node over there, seems fast so far.

I'm not super familiar with OpenVZ, how come you had to reboot my VPS to enable the VPN/rDNS stuff? I don't mind I'm just curious. Thanks for the fast response on that ticket by the way.
    Enabling TUN/TAP in a container (required for VPN's) needs a reboot to work completely.

Signed up for a huge node, you guys manage to have better specs etc than linode (the main one that made me switch was storage space, linode are super stingy with it) and you are $10 per month cheaper. Congrats!
    Thank you!

----

Over the next two weeks we'll hopefully be deploying our US nodes and completing the final phase of our German server upgrades.

27. Post #27
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    yeah linode charge a hefty premium

28. Post #28
    HTF
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    525 Posts
    I would like to report back now I have my vps up and running.

Migration from linode was easy enough as I know what I am doing.

Server was set up fast and info emailed promptly.

The server is speedy, everything in terms of spec is as advertised, amount of available distros is good (using debian 6 64bit for the interested).

The control panel they use is great, not as powerful as linode's in terms of options but a lot easier to use and less ugly.

Actual performance difference on my sites is negligible which is great considering how well everything ran on linode. Time to first byte is actually lower despite the increased distance (I am in the UK so germany is further than london) which shows the server has some grunt.

So really no reason to go to linode when you can go to these guys :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

29. Post #29

June 2012
    137 Posts
    shit dude, your site is wicked sick. really nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    Enabling TUN/TAP in a container (required for VPN's) needs a reboot to work completely.
    Ah I see, surprising.

Since my last message I acquired a Huge node as well to host my development work. I have cancelled my two servers from VPS6 and will eventually cancel my Linode.

I tested the performance of the box and I'm getting better numbers than Linode. About 1.0MB/s more for the hard drive, better CPU benchmarks, better network speed. Keep this up!

Right now I'm working with support to get L2TP IPSEC working as there seems to be some missing kernel modules (either that or I'm doing really wrong).

Curious, how many employees are part of this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,691 Posts
    Holy shit Fanatical is AWESOME!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Sweden Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    HTF
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    525 Posts
    Holy shit Fanatical is AWESOME!
    *Afterburst
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    I paid $2 for this
    October 2010
    788 Posts
    *Afterbust
    *Afterburst
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 6Zing Zing x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    2,995 Posts
    Ordered a huge, I needed a system for zenoss - might as well support these guys since I think they're great and I've been following them around for ages now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

35. Post #35
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    2,995 Posts
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenRRD/zencommand.py", line 980, in <module>
    daemon = CollectorDaemon(myPreferences, myTaskSplitter)
    File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenCollector/daemon.py", line 147, in __init__
    super(CollectorDaemon, self).__init__(name=self.preferences.collectorName )
    File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenRRD/RRDDaemon.py", line 61, in __init__
    PBDaemon.__init__(self, noopts, name=name)
    File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenHub/PBDaemon.py", line 132, in __init__
    ZenDaemon.__init__(self, noopts, keeproot)
    File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenUtils/ZenDaemon.py", line 68, in __init__
    self.becomeDaemon()
    File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenUtils/ZenDaemon.py", line 262, in becomeDaemon
    raise Exception( "%s [%d]" % (e.strerror, e.errno) )
    Exception: Cannot allocate memory [12]
    Daemon: zenprocess starting...
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenRRD/zenprocess.py", line 971, in <module>
    daemon = CollectorDaemon(myPreferences, myTaskSplitter, ConfigListener())
    File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenCollector/daemon.py", line 147, in __init__
    super(CollectorDaemon, self).__init__(name=self.preferences.collectorName )
    File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenRRD/RRDDaemon.py", line 61, in __init__
    PBDaemon.__init__(self, noopts, name=name)
    File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenHub/PBDaemon.py", line 132, in __init__
    ZenDaemon.__init__(self, noopts, keeproot)
    File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenUtils/ZenDaemon.py", line 68, in __init__
    self.becomeDaemon()
    File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenUtils/ZenDaemon.py", line 262, in becomeDaemon
    raise Exception( "%s [%d]" % (e.strerror, e.errno) )
    Exception: Cannot allocate memory [12]
    time to ask for a custom package!!!

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,691 Posts
    Does anyone know if it is possible to host an ArmA 2 server on one of these VPS's?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

37. Post #37
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    well it runs on linux so of course

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,691 Posts
    well it runs on linux so of course
    I was thinking about the processing power and that kind of stuff.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    1,214 Posts
    I had a package with you guys for a few months at the end of last year\start of this year. I didn't end up using it much so I dropped it, but with this kind of sale maybe I'll sign up again. I had a pretty big gripe with the pings though, 300ms+ makes it pretty painful to do anything with ssh. I guess that's just australia for you

40. Post #40
    August 2012
    177 Posts
    I had a package with you guys for a few months at the end of last year\start of this year. I didn't end up using it much so I dropped it, but with this kind of sale maybe I'll sign up again. I had a pretty big gripe with the pings though, 300ms+ makes it pretty painful to do anything with ssh. I guess that's just australia for you
    You might have better luck with the (upcoming) US, Miami location. I'd expect around 150-200ms.

Have a test - ping 96.47.230.81