1. Post #1
    January 2012
    359 Posts
    It does happen, and it is important to handle the situation properly as to not make a bad situation worse and possibly even avoid a problem all together.

I got caught in an abandoned school on Monday. It was in the middle of being demolished but I still entered the construction site and snuck into the school. I kept my eye on the bulldozer driving around outside as we walked around. There were so many holes in the walls that landscapers outside must have seen us inside taking pictures. Not too long after a police officer was standing nearby yelling in at us to come outside.

Best not to run, unless you are 100% positive you will get away. In this case, we were pretty beat no matter what so I approached the officer calmly and waved to him. I told him we were simply taking pictures. He yelled at us, said we were crazy, its so dangerous blah blah blah. He was ready to charge us with defiant trespassing and all these things, but another cop pointed out that there wasn't a single no trespassing sign on the property so they didn't have a case against us. We got off without even a ticket. If I was a dick to the cop or tried to escape, I'm sure things would've turned out differently.

But police are really the least of my worry while exploring. I worry most about wild animals and hostile homeless people. Here are a few videos of mine where I encountered people while exploring.

Let's start with a crackhead in philly. He is smoking his crackpipe at 2:23, look at the monstrous amount of smoke he blows out, crackpipe in hand. This was pure luck, the fact that we run into the friendliest crackhead in the world, but there were others down there too, and the situation could've easily turned dangerous.

Again I got lucky with this guy. He had been squatting in this house for a few months and I finally got the opportunity to invade his privacy for an interview.

Don't want to overload you with videos, but also at an abandoned amusement park we scared away some scrappers who were there stealing a few items. As soon as they saw us they packed up the trucks and left in a hurry.

Also while in the abandoned AC electric control center a truck came flying down the loading dock ramp and someone violently tried shaking open the door. We happened to be standing on the other side of the door at the time, frozen in fear by the loud banging sound. Luckily he didn't get it open and we had time to leave without running into them.

At a abandoned luxury hotel resort there was a guy outside cutting up pieces of metal and loading them into his truck. We checked out one of the buildings without being seen, though he prevented us from checking out a very cool indoor pool! Bastard!

And I just posted this video a few hours ago. Had a shady encounter towards the end of the video.

Anyway.... what are your stories? Who have you run into while exploring? What are your strategies for dealing with these situations?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 100Informative Informative x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    December 2009
    2,150 Posts
    Really cool videos man, it gives a kind of insight into their lives.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,421 Posts
    Awesome videos. On a somewhat related note, the intro to the first one is really well made. How did you get that floating text effect?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

4. Post #4
    January 2012
    359 Posts
    Awesome videos. On a somewhat related note, the intro to the first one is really well made. How did you get that floating text effect?
    animation in 3d space, x,y,z axis. thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 6 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    58 Posts
    I liked your videos; got my subscription.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

6. Post #6

July 2007
    17 Posts
    My first thoughts after seeing the bus and lab coat would have been that there was some sort of meth-lab in there and I would've been shot if I got caught. But then two women with children show up?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    On a regular basis I like to go to furry conventions and yiff with my friends. I also love MLP
    October 2012
    923 Posts
    Love your videos man, so interesting! Some of the best urban exploration footage I've seen a while. Best of luck.

Got no stories, hope to urban explore some day. It seems dangerous but full of adventure. Some people I see are pretty friendly, but I doubt you met many like that. Nice videos.

8. Post #8
    Dolphin Hugger
    April 2010
    1,597 Posts
    My first thoughts after seeing the bus and lab coat would have been that there was some sort of meth-lab in there and I would've been shot if I got caught. But then two women with children show up?
    It's surprising how many children you see around drugs and stuff. I once bought weed from a guy holding a baby
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3Friendly Friendly x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #9

July 2007
    17 Posts
    It's surprising how many children you see around drugs and stuff. I once bought weed from a guy holding a baby
    Pretty strange existence we live! But you have to admit, whatever these women were up to and if it did involve a clandestine drug-lab, it's far fetched shit.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    154 Posts
    I LOVE abandoned buildings. Unfortunatly there aren't many around where I live. Grats on your vids man they are very good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    June 2010
    229 Posts
    Anyone here ever get attacked by squatters?

Edited:

Ah man this reminds me of condemned so much

12. Post #12
    shrek yourself before you shrek yourself
    March 2012
    875 Posts
    Great videos, got my sub :3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    7,151 Posts
    As there are very few abandoned houses here or anything that is worth urbexing and as a casual urbexer I really dig your videos.

14. Post #14
    Dog
    What's worse than biting into an apple and finding a dick?
    March 2011
    3,770 Posts
    How big is your crew?

15. Post #15
    That dude living in the abandoned house because his girlfriend cheated on him...wow

What an absolute bitch, fucking his friend and forcing him to sleep in a shack for 3 months, what the hell do you do in that situation?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 43 (list)

16. Post #16
    August 2009
    1,046 Posts
    The people in your last video looked like gypsies. The main reason why you probably got kicked out is because they store their drugs there or do shady stuff.

17. Post #17
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    I have played enough condemned to know how to deal with them

I am kidding, I would be scared shitless   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Luxembourg Show Events Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 5 (list)

18. Post #18
    November 2011
    439 Posts
    You just got a new subscription. This stuff is pretty high quality too, and has nice editing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

19. Post #19
    A six sided fish cube of the Flounder variety
    March 2010
    3,224 Posts
    I'm curious. Since you live in Pennsylvania, have you been to Forest Haven Asylum in Maryland? (39.09884200, -76.78598800)

Me and some buddies are going to check it out and I'd like to know if anyone's got any advice or stories.

20. Post #20
    May 2010
    167 Posts
    Squatters / crackheads pose a serious threat to others as most of the time they pass out with burning-hot crackpipes which cause massive fires.

I live in Worcester, MA where a similar incident happened back in '99. I happened to be driving home and saw the building on fire, a enormous blazing inferno that could be seen for miles around. I could feel the heat and saw burning embers at least a half-mile away while approaching it.

This particular fire was reportedly from a knocked over candle, ended up killing 6 Worcester Firefighters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worcest...Warehouse_fire

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 28Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,288 Posts
    isnt it like the first rule of urbex to not go alone anyway. i always go in a pair, absolute minimum, cause you just never know whats gonna happen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    January 2012
    359 Posts
    I'm curious. Since you live in Pennsylvania, have you been to Forest Haven Asylum in Maryland?
    Haven't been, but I can check it out this week and I'll let you know how it goes.

How big is your crew?
    Sometimes just me... usually with 1 other person.

23. Post #23
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,491 Posts
    You're brave, I would never go alone. When going in a group, at least if something does go horribly wrong you have someone to call for help or in a worst case scenario, break the bad news to others.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    A six sided fish cube of the Flounder variety
    March 2010
    3,224 Posts
    Haven't been, but I can check it out this week and I'll let you know how it goes.
    Me and my friends are heading there this weekend (I won't say when unless your interested). Seems like a pretty good find.

Edited:

Also, why do you go by yourself? Seems awfully dumb. In case something happens, how will help find you? (in b4 cell phone)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,128 Posts
    I've always wanted to do this but I'm a bit afraid of getting some sort of hazardous material on me and causing myself or people I come into contact with health problems due to that. I'm aware that many of these abandoned buildings can be full of asbestos or other such things.

26. Post #26
    May 2010
    5,408 Posts
    I've always wanted to do this but I'm a bit afraid of getting some sort of hazardous material on me and causing myself or people I come into contact with health problems due to that. I'm aware that many of these abandoned buildings can be full of asbestos or other such things.
    I wouldnt worry too much about asbestos, the kind of health problems you encounter with it are generally after long term contact.
    Tho there are other problems, poisons, acids, radio activity residue...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 3 (list)

27. Post #27
    I wouldnt worry too much about asbestos, the kind of health problems you encounter with it are generally after long term contact.
    Long term or not.. you don't want to contract a nasty disease that will kill you in 5-30 years just for one trip. It's best to do some research as to whether the building you're about to enter is dangerous. Even if you are dedicated to enter you could at least wear a mouthcap or something like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    March 2012
    1,368 Posts
    I wish I lived in a big city like Philadelphia.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Hello, my name is Penis. Please refer to me as such. I'm totally cool with it.
    November 2009
    4,820 Posts
    There is little research into exactly what level of exposure can cause long-term health problems. In theory, as little as a few hours of exposure could cause serious health problems. A P100 asbestos-rated respirator should always be worn if you think or know there could be asbestos (the rating system is set by OSHA, so it could be a different rating system outside of the US. Also, dust masks WILL NOT FILTER ASBESTOS!)

Edited:

Squatters / crackheads pose a serious threat to others as most of the time they pass out with burning-hot crackpipes which cause massive fires.

I live in Worcester, MA where a similar incident happened back in '99. I happened to be driving home and saw the building on fire, a enormous blazing inferno that could be seen for miles around. I could feel the heat and saw burning embers at least a half-mile away while approaching it.

This particular fire was reportedly from a knocked over candle, ended up killing 6 Worcester Firefighters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worcest...Warehouse_fire

Wow, I live in Massachusetts, and I remember that being all over the news for weeks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    January 2012
    359 Posts
    I wear a respirator with p100 filters and try to always wear gloves. Be aware of what touches your skin or clothing, especially your arms, butt, and knees from crouching or crawling through places. Remember this gets on the seats in your car and whatever else. Try to shower and put your clothes in the wash as soon as you get home. If possible, invest in cheap disposable painters coveralls to wear while exploring the dirtier locations.

Simple precautions now may cost about $20-30. Health bills from the long term effects due to negligence.... easily over $100k. Not worth it.

I haven't explored alone in a while, but it usually is the result of being the only one who wants to go in. There is at least someone in the car waiting for me to return. I'd never explore alone without anyone knowing where I was.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Dennab
    November 2009
    1,941 Posts

I live in Worcester, MA...
    Hey neighbor!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    December 2010
    6,435 Posts
    Bring a gun with you or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 21Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

33. Post #33
    May 2011
    1,855 Posts
    Bring a gun with you or something.
    No, that is the worst 'precaution', imagine what the cops would think if you DID get caught. Your best defense is Common Sense and Knowledge, the most 'weapon' I would take is a pocket knife.
    "Are there any animals or dangerous squatters/druggies/scrappers in the building?"

Regarding health dangers and physical injury ask/research the following:
    "What did this building belong to? Like what was made or stored?"

For example if it was abandoned well before regulation in asbestos was implemented then its best to prepare/expect asbestos(Bring P100 filters ATLEAST). Samething with chemical plants, especially with places older than the 60s.

Radiation is probably a unlikely encounter unless your investigating something like Chernobyl. Even then its best to avoid it entirely unless you have a fucking RadSuit/Geiger Counter. (Hell that's probably not even a good idea...Cops: "OH THESE GUYS ARE CLEARLY MAKING DIRTY BOMBS WITH THEIR RAD SUITS..etc")

Look into city records to find out the building's structural status(E.g. "Will the floor give out?", "Bad walls, etc?")

Precautions to take:
    -Wear long pants
    -Wear long sleeved shirt, permitting temperature and other factors
    -Wear gloves, even basic work gloves will help you ALOT.
    -Wear Boots if possible (Personal Preference, however I find them to be very useful)
    -Bring some sort of particulate respirator or dust mask
    -Flashlight & batteries (Duh!)
    -A walking stick or something to poke the floor (Its like mine-sweeping for loose flooring)

Hell there's alot more things I could go into, but that's just the bear necessities.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 11Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Dolphin Hugger
    April 2010
    1,597 Posts
    Hell there's alot more things I could go into, but that's just the bear necessities.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 29Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    I eat your tears
    Dennab
    May 2006
    497 Posts
    Weed doesn't make somebody a bad person, cigarettes are much worse. I've been given a cigarette by plenty of people who have kids.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Agree Agree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Dolphin Hugger
    April 2010
    1,597 Posts
    Key phrase "drugs and stuff"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    May 2011
    1,855 Posts
    That song was going through my head when I wrote that post heeh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Fluttershy Enthusiast
    June 2011
    6,141 Posts
    Guess this is where a conceal carry license could be useful. I bet a lot of people could be warned off by telling them you have a gun, But I wouldn't stay for long.

39. Post #39
    January 2012
    359 Posts
    You should never speak of it or reach for it unless you are going to use it. Not a great idea to "warn" people that you have one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    I fought the bet and the bet won.
    October 2012
    9,125 Posts
    What a friendly crackhead.

Edited:

Good videos man, you got some balls to actually talk to the people you meet in these places.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)