1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    249 Posts
    After two years, this map has been released : http://sarethen.weebly.com/breadman-...unt_3-released

A monumental thank you to you all.

Ladies and nerds.

I would like to announce Gm_ghosthunt 3.

I have spent months mapping. Literally. Working on Hartley and this... christ. I am finally beginning to feel comfortable with this project. I've been through three iterations. Three different scenarios and environments. Thats THREE FUCKING WHOLE MAPS. Months and months of work and finally I can feel confident enough to say that yes, this will indeed be Ghosthunt 3. It's perfect in every way.

Plenty of room for your mates to come with you too. This time I have widened corridors to ensure we can all fit. No more pesky rubble to get your skulls stuck in (Spike 'n Barley I really do apologise for that injustice.) and a ton of other improvements.

Before I show you, you need to know a few things. It aint finished. And it won't be done by halloween. I've got a baby on the way and shits busier than ever.

Feast your eyes on these TEASERS. THESE ARE TEASERS. DON'T SHIT YOUR PANTS. DO NOT PRAISE ME. IT IS STILL A WIP. I AM OPEN TO CRITISISM.

You'l get a camera and ghost detector again. Loads of events all random as usual. It's pretty big, lots of long corridors. I kinda got the inspiration from that shit awful film Hostel. A random eastern-european place wherein people get tortured to death and then 'disposed' of. Threw in some ouijja and some 666 too for bad juju.

I apologise for not being able to center the images and make them look nice, I did try but I am mildly drunk and have no time to mess around with this forum tonfoolery.

I wish you all the very best and will continue to update you.

-Bread
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner x 61Mapping King x 31Friendly x 2Late x 1Agree x 1Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,817 Posts
    YES

also congrats on the baby
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 19Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    It's time to unban Banshee Friend
    Dennab
    April 2011
    4,280 Posts
    Well shit I can't wait to play this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,186 Posts
    Oh god, I remember when Spike, Barley, and RennyB played the other two... Good Luck broskie
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

5. Post #5
    CJF
    August 2006
    18,136 Posts
    I was just thinking about these maps yesterday. Loaded them up to play but didn't have CS:S installed.

It looks awesome, keep it up!

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,726 Posts
    Oh god, I remember when Spike, Barley, and RennyB played the other two... Good Luck broskie
    the gm_ghosthunt 2 video's were awful though. Just RennyB being stupid and Barley exploding with rage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    June 2010
    1,644 Posts
    the gm_ghosthunt 2 video's were awful though. Just RennyB being stupid and Barley exploding with rage.
    But that's what made them memorable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    476 Posts
    For this one, can we revert back to the more eerie and atmospheric ghosthunt 1 style, rather than the deadly and constantly occurring events of ghosthunt 2? That's what I loved about the first one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 15Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    2,539 Posts
    Been watching this since you announced it back on your website man. Glad to see some progress! Congrats on the baby.

As for criticism, you should look into lua, and customize the HUD a bit. -snip I read that wrong-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #10
    April 2009
    465 Posts
    As with the first two Ghosthunt maps in the series, I'll be sure to keep my eyes on this one as well.

Also, congratulations on your baby!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    Dennab
    August 2010
    7,138 Posts
    For this one, can we revert back to the more eerie and atmospheric ghosthunt 1 style, rather than the deadly and constantly occurring events of ghosthunt 2? That's what I loved about the first one.
    You mean the one that had GMOD 9.04 bleeding out of the walls?

12. Post #12
    The Silent Rater
    November 2009
    3,185 Posts
    Wow, I remember following the development of Ghosthunt 2 and I'm just as eager to see this done.
    Congrats on the baby.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    November 2009
    193 Posts
    Very excited! The patience game has begun.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    249 Posts
    If anyone here would be willing to help me with something I'd really appreciate it.

You see, I need bodies.

Not real ones. Already got plenty of those - I'm talking about the props from Left 4 dead 1 and 2. I'm a busy man and I can only devote so much of my time to mapping each night. If someone could grab those models (Dead bodies... I think the folder is named 'deadbodies'), convert them so they can be used in EP2 I would be very greatful and will credit you.

BREADMAN THANKS YOU!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    2,032 Posts
    Nice. I loved the first two, can't wait for this one. Mapping seems like the coolest thing, but with all of the schoolwork and drama I have, my hands are tied already.

I've got a baby on the way and shits busier than ever.
    Congratulations, and enjoy sleep while you can.

Edited:

Looking at some of the images, I would recommend you try and furnish the place up a little, be it actual furniture props or even the HL2 paper waste texture being put here and there. What was so gloriously eerie about the first ghosthunt was the plethora of props and things that looked like they belonged there, and were quite dangerous when you had kinesis events going on.

In addition, for the "spirits," I would recommend some that continue to stalk the player, and when looked at, absorb into the walls or fade away, and continue to stalk when the player does not have line of sight on them (yes, sort of like SCP-173, but less apparent that you are being followed). Maybe even have them appear on reflection textures.

As for lighting, dim enough to make sight difficult, but bright enough to make it still possible to see.

Finally, try and have as little ambient background noise as possible. Pure silence messes with the human mind, and sounds become thousandfold times more startling if they are unexpected.

/wall of text

Just my opinions on how you can improve from the last two (again, they were great, but there is always room to improve).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    570 Posts
    I'm hoping it's going to improve from the mistakes of gm_ghosthunt 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,672 Posts
    Im also hoping you use different models than the HL2 zombies, they've lost their fear factor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

18. Post #18

May 2011
    28 Posts
    Breadman:Did you completely use New garrysmod function? :D.
    We have luck than Garry, Just Optimation Whole Garrysmod.that very good for Players
    Than we are able to Max it,

Ps Is GH3 Bigger than GH1/2
    And How advanced is Event system this time?

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    2,539 Posts
    Breadman:Did you completely use New garrysmod function? :D.
    We have luck than Garry, Just Optimation Whole Garrysmod.that very good for Players
    Than we are able to Max it,

Ps Is GH3 Bigger than GH1/2
    And How advanced is Event system this time?
    Well GH2 was a pretty massive step up in events because he started tinkering a LOT more with random events. I'd imagine GH3 would be THAT much bigger.

Also, (I'm pretty sure) Breadman optimizes his maps. They are probably just cpu/graphics intensive, a detailed map can do that (even though GH2 wasn't all that intensive to cause FPS drops on max).

20. Post #20

October 2011
    3 Posts
    Could you try to make light a huge lightstream that zooms through one of the corridors and hits you taking away health? I think that would be pretty cool and scary
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    8,100 Posts
    If you improve on only one thing from 2, let it be this:

Dying in Gmod is not scary. It's just annoying to have to run back to where we were for another go. This is especially true if there's no way to prevent the death, or no way to see it coming, it's just breaking the flow and immersion, two things that help make things more scary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

22. Post #22
    Glod Menber
    June 2008
    6,913 Posts
    If you improve on only one thing from 2, let it be this:

Dying in Gmod is not scary. It's just annoying to have to run back to where we were for another go. This is especially true if there's no way to prevent the death, or no way to see it coming, it's just breaking the flow and immersion, two things that help make things more scary.
    I don't know about you but I definitely had a lot of scary moments with GH1 and 2, with friends too. The best part about dying was the fact that you had to find your friends to regroup, walking by yourself through the darkness is p scary. Unless you make a mental note of all the potentially scary things on the map, but that just ruins the whole point of the map.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    8,100 Posts
    I don't know about you but I definitely had a lot of scary moments with GH1 and 2, with friends too. The best part about dying was the fact that you had to find your friends to regroup, walking by yourself through the darkness is p scary. Unless you make a mental note of all the potentially scary things on the map, but that just ruins the whole point of the map.
    I'm not saying it wasn't scary, I love these maps, it's just that it was more scary to me when my friends and I turned on god mode to avoid that. There are better ways to split people up than dying, which is why I've always thought that people are wrong when they say making horror games coop makes them not scary. That's not true, it changes what it takes to scare them, but there are still opportunities to do so. Use multiple people against them, split them up, make one see something the others don't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    249 Posts
    Hey guys. Small update. Still working on the map - looks great. It's important to me to make sure that this map 'feels' atmospheric.

It's alot quieter - at least until you turn on the heating system. More on that later. I really could use help with custom models so if you have any ideas inbox me or whatever. I need bodies still!

About the dieing. In hindsight GH2 was alittle overkill in this regard. I've been on few actual vigils since the second release (For those of you that don't know, I do actually ghosthunt. I live in an extremely creepy area.) But the vigils I remember the most are the quieter ones. GH2 was more of an attempt at the cliche 'in your face' horror.

For example -

Load up GH1. Go and stand in the first corridor at the top of the stairs and just listen. You'l hear all these small ambient sounds.

Then go and do the same in GH2. You'll hear a louder more intrusive ambience. You'll probably die too. By interrupting the atmopshere I effectivley ruined the experience. We all need a jolt from time to time but when you're idling you need to be able to listen.

It's also important to have variation. Gh1 had randomized sound events whereas GH2 has a stream that replays over and over. Your subconcious can get used to that and it'l just dim the atmosphere. In GH1, you couldn't always anticipate what you were going to hear making you more alert.

-Bread
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 9Mapping King Mapping King x 6 (list)

25. Post #25
    February 2009
    1,539 Posts
    May I suggest implanting some kind of NPC?

While the ghost zombies/dark kleiner models are scary, I think an NPC that will follow you in a slow fashion will be great for GH.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    8,100 Posts
    May I suggest implanting some kind of NPC?

While the ghost zombies/dark kleiner models are scary, I think an NPC that will follow you in a slow fashion will be great for GH.
    In the likely event that its path finding is interrupted it'll just be a laugh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    November 2012
    10 Posts
    I loved ghosthunt One and Two, so I'm readying my shit bags as you read this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    249 Posts
    Some of the folks from yogscast played GH1 a few days ago. It's a pretty funny video too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMuOC...feature=relmfu
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 8 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    2,539 Posts
    Some of the folks from yogscast played GH1 a few days ago. It's a pretty funny video too!

Please don't endorse them in your maps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    8,100 Posts

Yeah, again, that'd be a good scare if you could see something behind you on a camera or mirror and it's gone when you turn.

Edited:

Does facepunch not like them or something?

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    2,539 Posts
    Yeah, again, that'd be a good scare if you could see something behind you on a camera or mirror and it's gone when you turn.

Edited:

Does facepunch not like them or something?
    I lean towards the opinion their community is generally worse in comparison and make things that are supposed to be scary...a LOT less scary...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

32. Post #32
    March 2008
    1,789 Posts
    I like the Yogscast but yeah don't endorse them in the map. It'll cheapen the experience.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

33. Post #33

May 2011
    28 Posts
    maybe an idea, for scarty part, that someting is chasing you. in a long room,.
    Hm i wish i can help you with your maps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 4Mapping King Mapping King x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Facepunch Resident Alcoholic!
    July 2007
    7,045 Posts
    maybe an idea, for scarty part, that someting is chasing you. in a long room,.
    Hm i wish i can help you with your maps.
    ~2spooky~
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    February 2011
    12,728 Posts
    On a different note, how's Hartley going

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    249 Posts
    Hartley is in half dev at the moment. I've kind of taken on GH3, Hartley and another project all at the same time. I've never been good at time management so I sorta add to Hartley whenever I feel like it at the moment. My priority at the moment is GH3.

I'd love to show you the other project I've got but its soooo alpha right now.

Also point taken on the Yogscast. I don't really watch them much because I'm not hip like you internet folk. I'm from hill folk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

37. Post #37

January 2012
    56 Posts
    its time to shit my pants in fear once more
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,931 Posts
    I never got the yogscast hate. Sure their fans are occasionally retarded but they're pretty funny.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Facepunch Resident Alcoholic!
    July 2007
    7,045 Posts
    I never got the yogscast hate. Sure their fans are occasionally retarded but they're pretty funny.
    They originally started off as being pretty funny but now they're just letting the fame go to their heads, which also results in crappy new videos.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    249 Posts
    I can thumbnail this if it's bigger than Xbox for some of you.

The maps getting pretty big now. It has two levels but it's kinda hard to see them both from top down. It's all bare bones atm. Props and lights. Got one more section to add before I start adding events.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 8Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)