1. Post #1
    October 2012
    50 Posts
    I am new to this whole site and I love the different threads about everything. I am just starting to try and make music with ableton live and here is what I use...
    If there is a thread for this sorry I could not find it anywhere especially since I cannot search...literally.

Pretty basic I do not even know how to play that keyboard well yet I just got it last week and the launchpad about two months ago but I do love messing with ableton to try and create something I know it will probably take me a while though.

Really curious to see what everyone uses especially since a lot of the music on here is good!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    equalize, distort, equalize
    March 2007
    5,063 Posts

Plus a Roland Gaia SH-01, that I only really use as a MIDI keyboard anymore. Planning on selling it. (any Dutchies in here that are interested?)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    I once watched a girl get eaten by a horse and it was bad
    December 2008
    5,708 Posts
    I am new to this whole site and I love the different threads about everything. I am just starting to try and make music with ableton live and here is what I use...
    If there is a thread for this sorry I could not find it anywhere especially since I cannot search...literally.

Pretty basic I do not even know how to play that keyboard well yet I just got it last week and the launchpad about two months ago but I do love messing with ableton to try and create something I know it will probably take me a while though.

Really curious to see what everyone uses especially since a lot of the music on here is good!
    Nice to see new people around here taking interest in music! I think you should keep this in your head : It's not all about gear. You could easily make a no.1 hit without a midi controller, and just a laptop instead. But it's nice you've got yourself set up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    October 2012
    50 Posts
    yeah I was already messing with fl studio without any of these a long time ago but I wanted to learn to play keyboard.

5. Post #5
    I once watched a girl get eaten by a horse and it was bad
    December 2008
    5,708 Posts
    yeah I was already messing with fl studio without any of these a long time ago but I wanted to learn to play keyboard.
    I'd consider taking piano lessons then. Or at least a little research/study on musical theory in general, just to get the gist of how to make melodic stuff/etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,815 Posts
    Heres all my gee-tars

The B.C. rich is what I mostly use
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,851 Posts
    I have an attraction to strange, stupid musical instruments

latest acquisition. Basically a glorified melodica but I reckon it might be nice with a lo-fi plugin and some reverb or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    466 Posts
    Alright. Here we go:

Alesis Micron (Top one) is used for polyphonic stuff, Moog Little Phatty on the bottom is used for leads and basses.

Casio on top is used to run midi to my modular (see below). The Fender Rhodes is for.. Well... Fender Rhodes things.

Modular is used for any weird shit I need to do, or for experimenting, or for amazing anything else.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

9. Post #9
    April 2010
    7,682 Posts
    Holy Modular! Batman! I am jealous!

Do you have any songs that use your modular?

10. Post #10
    October 2012
    50 Posts
    What exactly do you use a modular for that just seems like a shit ton of inputs but I am scrub with all of this so I was just kind of wondering. Looks legit though.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    466 Posts
    The modular can do anything a regular synthesizer can do (computer or hardware). It just allows you control the sound so much more through various hard-to-understand ways. If I ever have a sound in mind and want something unique, I go to the modular. Shit-tons of fun are to be had with experimentation.

12. Post #12
    July 2009
    1,708 Posts

Blackstar HT-5RH - My guitar amp. Absolutely love this thing, particularly because it sounds amazing. The emulated output is also great for recording with.

Westfield Les Paul - My first guitar that I got when I started 2 years ago. It sounds and plays like shit but it makes a nice wall decoration.

Squier Jazz Bass - Picked this up about a month ago because I needed my own bass for recording songs. It plays nice but it's a little beat up because I got it used. It was really cheap though, so for the price I can't complain.

Fender Mustang - My pride and joy haha. Looks, feels, plays and sounds absolutely awesome.

Also my Line 6 UX2 is on my desk. I run my amp into that via the lineout then record into Reaper. I also use the UX2 for my Bass guitar because I don't have room for a proper bass amp.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    5,459 Posts

All I use. I might buy a audio interface and start experimenting with my guitars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Dennab
    March 2010
    2,002 Posts
    I luh my Edirol PCR-800

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,746 Posts
    I luh my Edirol PCR-800

Oh dude, I had the PCR-500(sold it due to it taking up like half my room). These things are so fucking great; cheap and the sliders and keys are so nice. Only real shame is the knobs not being endless encoders.

Edited:

Alright. Here we go:
    Oh my fucking god. I'm jelly enough about your moog and modular synth, but fuck me I WANT THAT RHODES. Electric pianos are like my favorite instruments.

How much did you pay for the rhodes?

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    5,459 Posts
    Alright. Here we go:

Alesis Micron (Top one) is used for polyphonic stuff, Moog Little Phatty on the bottom is used for leads and basses.

Casio on top is used to run midi to my modular (see below). The Fender Rhodes is for.. Well... Fender Rhodes things.

Modular is used for any weird shit I need to do, or for experimenting, or for amazing anything else.
    Aren't you like 14? Where did you get all that sweet gear?

unless you found it in a attic or something.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    466 Posts
    Long story. My dad has been a musican and musical instrument collector all his life. He had a bunch of guitar gear away in-case I wanted to play guitar, but I never got into it. I got into keyboard, piano, synth, etc. Turns out it was worth $2,600 dollars. The Moog was from a music store in Brooklyn for $1,300. The Micron was cheap from Ebay, works great and was a really good deal. The modular was the rest of the money from the gear, and the Rhodes was another amazing deal from nearby. Someone was selling it for cheaper then you would usually see, and so we (me and my father) decided to jump for it. Works perfect.

18. Post #18
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,287 Posts
    Alright. Here we go:

what the shit

19. Post #19
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    woah that's some cool gear
    the rhodes looks like it's in excellent condition which is rare for rhodes'

20. Post #20
    August 2010
    2,632 Posts

My two guitars. The MH-400NT (right one) is the one I record with (for cheesypoop and all that). The left one is a EC-401VF

Blackstar HT-20 and a Harley Benton G212 with v30s

I record with a Zoom R16 going into Cubase 6. I also use a Blackstar HT-5 at home and a Squier 4 string for recording.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    9,478 Posts
    Repping the computer keyboard music-makers here.

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    January 2012
    480 Posts

I just plug this in with a midi thing and use vsts

23. Post #23
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,834 Posts
    I play bass:

But I also do live recording and live sound and other such services for other bands, so here's my live recording rig:

(Along with mic splitters and other tools)

24. Post #24
    July 2010
    3,443 Posts
    (Sorry for the shit quality, it's an Ipod.)

Here's my set up right now, it's pretty horrible right now. Well anyways, starting off we've got my guitar. A (garbage) Squier Bullet Strat, but it sounds better than it did stock, so I guess hothodding it was a plus.
    I've got some dog leash and eye hole screws for a cheap locking nut, mostly removed/pained pickguard, a singe volume knob, reflectors, stickers, and tape.

Here's a closeup of the bridge/pickups. The pickups are stock, but I removed the middle one cause I never used it, and now I have a kill-switch. Under the bridge is the flattened piece of metal (it's covevered in tape) from a aluminum tube I used to make 2 homemade slides, which actually work. It's there to help keep the bridge from moving to keep it from going out of tune. On the left side of the humbucker, there is a piece of wood that's used to have the pickup screwed down into. The piece of wood is wedged to the guitar (and glued in, using a glue stick) to keep the wood from moving. All of that is taped down also.

Under the pickguard. There is a fuckton of tape to keep another block of wood (on the right side of the pickup, for the screw) from moving. The two pots are still in there too.

Now for my bass.

This is a Jackson Concert xt professional. It has volume pot problems, and the wiring is horriby resoddered by some idiot past-owner. I bought it from a music consignment store. It's also missing a tone knob, it didn't come like that, I think it came off in it's case and fell out when I wasn't looking. The "bass" written on the duct tape is a band thing. (Yes, that's my chicken scratch.)

Here's the headstock. The nut snapped in half a while ago, so in the meantime I taped that fucker together real tight. Works like new. The neck is also splitting near the headstock too .

Another view of the tape/nut.

And now for my amp. It's a piece of shit Line 6 spider 2. This thing is complete garbage, the only thing I can get out of it that's worth playing with is an 'okay' brown sound. It's hooked up to a four way channel foot switch, and all the tools on top are for fucking with my guitar.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    7,314 Posts

Edited:

you poor soul :c

26. Post #26
    October 2012
    50 Posts

Edited:

That is a pretty high end keyboard there.

27. Post #27
    Alright. Here we go:

rhodes and moog

fuck you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    A launchpad and a midi keyboard. The only reason I haven't made any actual music is that I was concentrating on my studies. But now I have 2 months free time so maybe I can make a song or two.

Old pic and old setup, changed position and much cleaner now. Wanted to get me a mobile synth so that I can take it anywhere since I do not have a laptop but then I won a laptop in a lucky draw.

And when I feel I need to chill.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    how can you love some-one if you can't eat a brick
    July 2011
    1,320 Posts
    A computer.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    April 2011
    1,044 Posts
    19th century German-Czech violin
    Sorry for wonky angle, the upload site rotated the picture.

For the price I got it for it has wonderful sound.
    As for music writing:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    January 2011
    831 Posts

My bass, that I love

I bought this as just a midi keyboard since I don't own an iphone or ipod.

And my recording interface.

32. Post #32
    Antichristian Heathen Icelandic Bastard
    June 2008
    5,700 Posts
    I should have a few pics here

+

Don't have any pics of my M-Audio keyboard though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Iceland Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    October 2012
    50 Posts
    All these people and their amazing guitars and keyboards. I really like seeing everyone's different gear looks nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    August 2008
    148 Posts
    Crosspost from the Hip-Hop beats thread.

35. Post #35
    Antichristian Heathen Icelandic Bastard
    June 2008
    5,700 Posts

Got myself a mini djembe
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Iceland Show Events Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    equalize, distort, equalize
    March 2007
    5,063 Posts
    Aww yeah, got my uncle's old taperecorder. And it worked pretty much straight away.

(Pic is kinda big, so I thumbed it)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    566 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    mrawr~
    November 2009
    3,633 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    STUPID PEANUT EMPEROR
    September 2006
    526 Posts

Starting at the top and going clockwise: Horugel 12-string that has a broken tuning knob so I only put six on it, my Dad's old Memphis, an approximately 45 year old Gibson Eb-3, a decent Ibanez Rx, and the highlight, a Schecter Omen-6.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)