1. Post #1
    Dennab
    July 2012
    5,027 Posts
    A little Mac Vs. PC has been missing from here. It's perhaps the only flame war that will never end.
    I believe that both brands/OS's can be used for the same purposes, but preference is based solely on what you're more used to.
    I prefer PCs because I grew up with them, and also because they have much more variety in manufacturer.
    When people complain about PCs crashing too often and needing to be replaced after a month, it's usually because they bought a shitty Dell and overestimated its hardware capabilities.
    Macs are limited to one hardware manufacturer that really doesn't have much variety, both visually and economically. They're always treated as "designer computers", which isn't exactly a false statement, but I just think they should make a wider range of computer specs, especially laptops.
    Go ahead and kill each other, this debate has no right answer.

Also why the fuck does it say I used Windows 98

(User was banned for this post ("No debate presented, asking for opinions" - Megafan))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,161 Posts
    A little Mac Vs. PC has been missing from here. It's perhaps the only flame war that will never end.
    I believe that both operating systems can be used for the same purposes, but preference is based solely on what you're more used to.
    Neither of those are operating systems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #3
    Dennab
    July 2012
    5,027 Posts
    Brands, whatever. You get the point.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    15,080 Posts
    Brands, whatever. You get the point.
    Both are personal computers. With a mac you have a certain guaranteed level of build quality which you need to look for on the PC side a bit - with a few good brands like thinkpads holding up the torch.

If you are referring to the difference between OSx and Windows, then the difference is fairly small these days in a lot of ways.

Osx - better menu implementation (fixed corner menu is somewhat better than a window tied one) worse software compatibility, folder structure obstruction, good support, finder is terrible compared to explorer
    Windows - far better fullscreen, quick update rollouts, better software compatibility.

But in general, the difference between the fact if you have OSx or Windows is less huge than it might seem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,689 Posts
    I see no reason to buy a Mac. Ever. They're so laughably overpriced it boggles my mind that people buy them. You're spending a fortune on the badge alone, under the hood they're equivalent to a dell 3/4ths as expensive and a homebuilt half the price.

Now, that's not saying you should never use one. There's plenty of reasons why you would want one, and if you do have a reason to use a Mac, just build a PC to the same specs and install OSX instead of Windows. Bam. You have a Mac and you didn't throw a fortune at a logo on the case. You can even use actual Mac keyboards, mice, cases and whatnot if you really insist. You get the same exact computer, so there's no issues with your Mac-exclusive software working, but you spend maybe half as much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    2,818 Posts
    I have always seen Macs/ osx as something you might use for work. Doing 3D work, working in photoshop, music editing, movie editing, and just things like that. I have viewed PCs or windows as something where you can do everything. Both can pretty much do the same things but one does something better than the other.

My only experience with Macs was for 2 semesters in highschool when I was taking intro to java and website design. The Macs had windows 7 and osx on them and I always worked with windows 7 since I have always used windows. Whenever I did use osx though, it was like being reborn or something and I didn't know anything. I tried to do my work on them but I was just more of a hassle since I did not know what I was doing.

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    July 2012
    5,027 Posts
    I wasn't expecting everyone to agree with me...
    This thread proves that Facepunch is lacking in opinionated fanboys.
    That's a good thing.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    9,017 Posts
    This thread proves that Facepunch is lacking in opinionated fanboys.
    Let's not jump to conclusions now (I kid, I kid)

At this point, most of the conflict regarding Apple is about their business policies and less about their hardware.

Edited:

I have always seen Macs/ osx as something you might use for work. Doing 3D work, working in photoshop, music editing, movie editing, and just things like that. I have viewed PCs or windows as something where you can do everything. Both can pretty much do the same things but one does something better than the other.

My only experience with Macs was for 2 semesters in highschool when I was taking intro to java and website design. The Macs had windows 7 and osx on them and I always worked with windows 7 since I have always used windows. Whenever I did use osx though, it was like being reborn or something and I didn't know anything. I tried to do my work on them but I was just more of a hassle since I did not know what I was doing.
    Mac/PC are pretty much identical when it comes to 2D graphics work, but I believe PC is the industry standard when you get into 3D.

9. Post #9
    i love everyone
    Dennab
    December 2010
    2,531 Posts
    my macbook pro was purchased for music production and DJing. the build is superior and it's sturdy and just looks great.

10. Post #10
    Dennab
    July 2010
    6,113 Posts
    It's all a matter of preference, I doubt one is better than the other at any area in question. A common argument I see for using Macs is that "they are good for multimedia work", I don't doubt that but they are no better than PCs used for the same purpose. Photoshop on the Mac is no better than Photoshop on PC. However, I suppose that OSX and Windows might each have their own exclusive programs which might make one more suited to something than the other.

I'd use a Mac if it was given to me, just like I would use a PC if it was given to me. There would be little difference to me. The programs I use are available on both Windows and OSX.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

11. Post #11
    Guru mediation error
    Dennab
    July 2012
    10,544 Posts
    Well, since Mac hardware is identical to PC hardware I'll skip right onto operating systems.

In short. Windows runs nearly all the software that mac does and more.
    Both operating systems are horrifically ugly for different reasons, but OSX is far more consistant. OSX technically has the better backend since its UNIX based but ultimately suffers due to having a poor game and program library and a hotkey fetish.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #12
    Ask me about my Zimmerman fetish

March 2005
    4,150 Posts
    In the case of laptops, I think Apple computers are often better than their pc counterparts because their industrial design is more innovative. Features like the magnetic lid, magnetic charging port, glass track-pad, mouse gestures, and unibody construction are huge pluses for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Show Events

13. Post #13
    I gotta say the only thing I'd want a mac for is the sexy case for the Mac pro
    shame they use proprietary designs which make it near impossible to fit normal PC parts in one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,328 Posts
    Just a heads up, don't fall for the "mac vs pc" bullshit apple is using.
    mac is a pc
    "pc" is a pc

They are both personal computers.
    If you wanted to compare the two, you would use Mac PC vs Windows PCs

Personally, I find absolutely no reason to ever own a mac. Everything I could possibly ever want to do, I can do with a machine that I build, for a much lower price.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    19,797 Posts
    This hasn't been the way for at least a decade now, back when Adobe focused mostly on building for Mac OS/ OS X maybe, but today a Windows PC is usually exactly the same as a Mac if they are similar spec. The software available is greater on Windows, functions the same on both systems and usually costs the same. There are no benefits to using a Mac for work other than being used to them or using what little OS X only software that has no Windows alternatives.

Ever since Apple moved to Intel based x86/64 PCs, the differences between OS X and Windows have dwindled, OS X has some nice touches from being UNIX-like and runs a lot smoother on shitty hardware (my brother bought a 2008 Macbook recently, it's still quite a smooth machine), but other than different interfaces and the (noticeably) less shit file system, OS X doesn't really have many advantages in the work place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

16. Post #16
    April 2011
    1,138 Posts
    The only thing I have towards this debate is to choose what you like and shut up. However I will agree that Macs do tend to have better build quality. And I prefer pc simply because its what I grew up with personally.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events