1. Post #1
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,906 Posts

What is it?

A team of soldiers must hunt down a powerful, nearly invisible creature known as The Stalker. The Stalker has a number of abilities:

Scream - A powerful scream that causes nearby soldiers to lose their hearing temporarily, and causes their vision to become disoriented slightly. This attack uses 25% of your energy. This ability is very useful for making quick escapes.
    Mind Flay - This attack invades the mind of the targeted player. They are heavily disoriented and take some damage from the attack. Perfect for picking off stragglers or confusing players who are very good at figuring out where you are. This attack uses 50% of your energy.
    Telekinesis - Control a prop with your mind. You can choose the direction in which the object is thrown. A useful tool for distracting soldiers or causing damage with larger objects. This uses 75% of your energy.
    Regeneration - Replenish a fraction of your health. While regenerating you are more visible for a small time span. Uses 100% of your energy.
    ESP - This ability is enabled/disabled by toggling your flashlight button as the stalker. When ESP is enabled, you can see where soldiers are through walls. However, while ESP is active, your energy will not replenish and your overall vision becomes darker.

The energy used by psychic attacks will slowly regenerate over time. In addition to having psychic abilities and being invisible, the Stalker is also very agile. It can jump to high areas, run faster than soldiers, and cling to walls. The Stalker's health slowly drains over time but it regains health with each kill.

The soldiers have their own tools for hunting the Stalker. There are 4 different, equally balanced primary weapons to choose from, as well as 4 different secondary weapons and 4 utilities. Their flashlight runs off battery power and if your battery reaches 0% charge then there is a small delay before it starts recharging. The recharge rate for the battery is slower than its drain rate so you have to manage your flashlight use.

Primary Weapons:
    The SG 552 - A highly accurate scoped rifle. Magazine size of 20.
    The FN P90 - A SMG with a large magazine and a high rate of fire. Magazine size of 50.
    The SPAS 12 - A powerful close range semi-automatic shotgun. Magazine size of 6.
    The FAMAS G2 - A 3-shot burst rifle. Magazine size of 30.

Secondary Items:
    Portable Sensor - A laser tripwire alarm which can be planted on any solid surface.
    USP Compact - A backup pistol with unlimited ammo.
    Stim Injector - Heals 30 health on the user. Can be used only once.
    NV Range Scanner - A handheld scanner which augments your vision.

Utilities:
    Improved Recharger - A battery recharger which replenishes power faster.
    Laser Module - A laser pointer attachment that fits any weapon.
    Extra Ammunition - Additional ammunition for your primary weapon.
    Flashlight Augment - A flashlight amplifier which provides a wider, brighter beam.

Where can i download it?

ON THE WORKSHOP.

Alternatively, via SVN.

Get this too if you're using SVN

Credits

Me - Pretty much everything.
    Chessnut - Made the scoreboard.
    SteveUK - Helped improve SWEPs, spectator mode, some other fixes.

Hosting

Some tips for server hosts:

This gamemode uses a map cycle file. If you don't have yours configured then you'll end up having the map change to cs_italy.
    Use sv_pure if you want to ensure nobody is using any sort of material hacks.

Media

I just searched youtube for recent gameplay footage.

Some pics taken during development:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Lua King x 12Winner x 7Dumb x 4Useful x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    metromod.net
    April 2010
    2,211 Posts
    probably one of the best gamemodes, good to see it back!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Optimistic Optimistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    May 2012
    400 Posts
    Yep it's a very good gamemode played it in gmod 12 it's scary, but fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,906 Posts
    I'm planning on making corpses controllable by telekinesis. So you can kill a guy then toss his corpse at his friends. If you smack a corpse with your claws it explodes into a gory mess.

Some ideas for the 4th soldier perk:

- Some sort of damage reduction? I don't know about this since tampering with the health of soldiers would be a balancing issue.
    - Maybe a movement speed perk? Might also cause balancing issues.
    - An automatic one-time-use stimpak when your health gets low. Currently, your screen starts to wobble slowly and your vision blurs a little when your health is low, so this could lessen that.

5. Post #5
    moo
    November 2006
    4,825 Posts
    Utility idea: Tinfoil hat - lessens the effects from Scream, and Mindflay. Also makes it so the stalker has to be within a certain distance to see him on ESP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Useful Useful x 1Lua Helper Lua Helper x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    May 2012
    94 Posts
    For maps you might be able to use some Morbus maps. They are quite dark and most of them are indoors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,906 Posts
    Utility idea: Tinfoil hat - lessens the effects from Scream, and Mindflay. Also makes it so the stalker has to be within a certain distance to see him on ESP.
    I was thinking of this, but i don't know if it'd be very balanced. I don't want to mess with ESP or the effects of mind flay/scream since they are so important to the Stalker, especially when there are lots of players.

8. Post #8
    moo
    November 2006
    4,825 Posts
    I was thinking of this, but i don't know if it'd be very balanced. I don't want to mess with ESP or the effects of mind flay/scream since they are so important to The Stalker, especially when there are lots of players.
    I guess if all the players pick it then it would kind of suck for the Stalker. Maybe instead of a passive, it has to be activated, while held down it uses battery rather quickly and gives you the buffs(and of course you wont be shooting any guns while its activated). Or maybe it could stay a passive but also make your battery recharge much slower, so you'll get the buff but have to be very careful with battery life and having an EV scanner would be a terrible idea.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    1,683 Posts
    -Bonus movespeed
    As a 4th perk
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,906 Posts
    Bonus movespeed would work if the bonus amount is fairly small, just enough to give a slight movement boost.

The battery is a very fragile element of the gamemode too, i dunno if i'd want to make it recharge any slower. I think i might just test a variety of different options for the last perk and see which works best.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    February 2009
    1,415 Posts
    Glad to see this returning. Good luck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    7,624 Posts
    A decoy/flash grenade.

Goes off and will create a flash and some smoke for the soldiers, a small vision thing. For the stalker it will cause a temporary disruption with vision and esp. Like when you look at the sun, for a short time the stalker cannot see things in that direction.

Could be used by a soldier to avoid a tough scrape.

13. Post #13
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,906 Posts
    Ok finally got telekinesis working like i wanted it to. When you select a prop to control, it starts to hover upwards.

Once you've selected a prop to control it will hover for 5 seconds. If you right click again before 5 seconds is up, the prop will fly in the direction you clicked. If you leave it, the prop just randomly spazzes out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,906 Posts
    And now it works on ragdolls but i need to fine tune it. The ragdolls are serverside but this gamemode is really simple so i think i can get away with a handful of expensive ragdolls. They don't collide with players directly so it's not that bad.

edit: holy crap this is great.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    4,088 Posts
    And now it works on ragdolls but i need to fine tune it. The ragdolls are serverside but this gamemode is really simple so i think i can get away with a handful of expensive ragdolls. They don't collide with players directly so it's not that bad.

>Images<
    I think it would be awesome if there was gibbing in the gamemode (for deceased players, the stalker, etc). It would be awesome if you could toss a body towards a squad of people and have it explode into blood and gibs on the floor infront of them (or the ceiling/walls)

16. Post #16
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,906 Posts
    I'm going to do that eventually because gore is always fun and ragdolls are expensive so that's a good way to remove them.

I got a pile more finished. The HUD is working for humans and the stalker.

As a human, you see halos on teammates (colored depending on how low their health is) and you also see halos on dropped weapons/corpses. You can pick up dropped weapons but your ammo is limited to the ammo in the weapon you pick up. So if i have a P90 and i empty it completely, i can swap it for another weapon on the ground. You can't hold more than one primary weapon at any time.

As a stalker, you can see halos on humans. I am going to remove that feature though since it makes ESP redundant. You also see halos on any prop that can be interacted with (ie. ragdolls, props).

Bonus thug life screenshot

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,906 Posts
    the game is pretty much playable now.

todo list:

- help menu
    - make corpses gibbable
    - make heavy props instagib you if they hit you

The EV Scanner turned out to be really cool. When you equip it, you get an overlay on your HUD. It makes things slightly lighter but also makes it a bit harder to see normally. Primary fire makes your HUD temporarily light up brighter and also makes the Stalker visible to you for a moment if he's close. Primary fire uses almost half of your battery power in one use so it takes a bit of planning to use the scanner properly. You also have to swap back to your weapon once you find the Stalker which makes it a bit risky to use as well.

You only get one tripmine alarm but as a bonus you are able to move it whenever you want. It has a 5 second arming time.

Flashlights work as intended too, you have about 12-15 seconds of life before your battery runs out. If you empty your battery to 0% then it will freeze at 0% for a few seconds before it resumes recharging so you need to manage your battery use.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    July 2011
    24 Posts
    Wow, I remember playing this a long time ago. Glad to see it being revamped.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,906 Posts
    Everything is working.

You can smack ragdolls as the Stalker to explode them into a gory mess. You also gain 3 health from it, because i felt like giving a tiny incentive.

All i need to do is make a nice scoreboard and this game is what i would consider finished. I also need to make a sick icon/logo for the gmod main menu. If anyone here wants to try, feel free. Make sure you make these images .PNGs and use background transparency though.

Edited:

come play on the betatest server you stinky bitches
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Lua King Lua King x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    metromod.net
    April 2010
    2,211 Posts
    cum play stalker on the server: 66.150.121.215:27016

Edited:

also twoski, maybe make the ability selection use the weapon selection keys for the stalker? slot1-4

21. Post #21
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,906 Posts
    Yeah i've been meaning to fix that, it's clunky as fuck. Doing it that way would require several SWEPS though wouldn't it?

I wanted to do some sort of radial menu like how L4D did vocalize menus.

22. Post #22
    moo
    November 2006
    4,825 Posts
    Some things I noticed while playing earlier:

I get this clientside error when scrolling though my weapons as a marine:
    Code:
    [ERROR] lua/includes/modules/draw.lua:74: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'w' (a nil value)
      1. SimpleText - lua/includes/modules/draw.lua:74
       2. unknown - gamemodes/stalker/entities/weapons/ts_base/shared.lua:29
    As of right now the EV scanner is kind of useless, I can see the stalker easier, cheaper, and without any screen effects by just using my flashlight with high shader detail, because it makes the stalker cast a dark black shadow.

It's hard to target things when playing as stalker because of there being no crosshair, but maybe that's not such a bad thing.

I have no idea what I'm doing when using mind flay, or how much damage I'm doing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,906 Posts
    Mind flay was bugged, it now disorients your target a lot more.

I fixed the draw bug with weapons. I can't really fix the shadow bug since there's no way to disable shadows on players to my knowledge. I posted a therad about it in the beta forum.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    July 2011
    24 Posts
    Hey everyone,

We have two servers running the gamemode. Make sure to check them both out!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,906 Posts
    Okay so i made the ability menu easier to use. Just hold down your USE key and move your mouse around to choose like you do in the L4D radial menus. Your screen freezes when you hold your USE key too so it's not intrusive at all really.

Also fixed that bug where spectators could pick up props... That was an interesting thing to watch.

26. Post #26
    Dennab
    October 2012
    10 Posts
    I Originally Wrote This For My Community SubAtomic Gaming For The Release Of Gmod I Guess Twoski Somehow Found My Old Code On Pastebin And Decided To Paste It All Together To Make This
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 10Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    July 2011
    24 Posts
    I Originally Wrote This For My Community SubAtomic Gaming For The Release Of Gmod I Guess Twoski Somehow Found My Old Code On Pastebin And Decided To Paste It All Together To Make This
    ...or he actually coded the gamemode himself for Garry's Mod 13 from scratch, just like he did.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,083 Posts
    man, Twoski, you're really throwing out the updates

I don't get why people write like this. You force yourself into a habit that is completely inapplicable in the real world AND it makes your writing harder to read anyway
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    February 2009
    1,415 Posts
    This guy has posted things like this in several other threads. He is clearly just a troll, so just ignore him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,906 Posts
    Made a few big changes to the gamemode. After watching some rounds i concluded that telekinesis is extremely fucking powerful so i'm swapping it with mind flay on the menu. Mind flay is now 50 mana to use and telekinesis costs 75 mana. I did some tweaking on the mind flay effects so now it's actually useful for distracting a player. I also added player names and descriptions in the loadout menu. I just need a nice scoreboard now.

It looks like the beta testing server has been fairly full for the time it's been up so i guess people are enjoying this gamemode.

31. Post #31
    Dennab
    October 2012
    10 Posts
    This guy has posted things like this in several other threads. He is clearly just a troll, so just ignore him.
    Im Not A Troll I Just Want To Know What I Did To Deserve All Of This Hate I Try To Be Nice And I Get Flamed I Try To Help People And I Get Flamed I Try To Motivate People And I Get Flamed It Just Makes Me Mad That I Do All The Work And Somebody Else Gets Credit For It
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 5Dumb Dumb x 2Friendly Friendly x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    July 2008
    822 Posts
    Nice work twoski, I'm very impressed how this turned out. I'll admit that at first I wasn't sure if anything was going to come out of this, but it seems you've proven otherwise.

33. Post #33
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,906 Posts
    So using SetNoDraw on players disables them drawing dynamic shadows... Dynamic shadows have been a problem from a start because it means that players with their settings set to high will be able to see the stalker better. This is definitely a bad thing.

So i'm going to mess around with this and see if i can still draw the stalker in some hook without drawing his dynamic shadow too.

Also, if you are a good mapper then i need your help in improving the map i made for this.

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1218755

I am looking for menu screenshots too.

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1219358

34. Post #34
    "The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell"
    August 2011
    3,671 Posts
    Added a new scoreboard.

If the list of players overflows, it'll add a scrollbar.
    If you click on the avatar of a player, it'll give you a little menu option.
    Ping will go from green to red based off how bad your ping is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Lua Helper Lua Helper x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,906 Posts
    Did a big update today.

- I'm now using a new method to draw the stalker's model. This should in theory remove the flashlight shadows. I can't tell if it worked or not so if you're in the beta server, tell me what happens if you shine your light on him. Some people are telling me that they keep seeing the stalker in the christ pose. Need more information on that as well.

- When you're disoriented by scream/mind flay, your HUD goes wonky for a brief time.

- Added effects to the medikit.

- Footstep sounds are now changed. The soldiers play appropriate sounds, and the stalker has new footstep sounds for when he's walking on concrete.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    moo
    November 2006
    4,825 Posts
    I'm liking the updates. One little feature that would be nice is having your loadout saved in the data folder, instead of getting a random loadout each map. Sometimes I forget to change it, or I join without enough time to change it and I get things that I don't want.

37. Post #37
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,906 Posts
    I've been meaning to make the loadout use client convars, that will be for next update.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    October 2011
    718 Posts
    twoski, do you need any background for the loading screen? I can make some for you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Thailand Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,906 Posts
    Yes please. I also need an icon/logo for the gamemode as well.

Todo list for next patch:

- Add client convars for weapon choices.
    - Change how the next Stalker is selected. I think i'll do a weighted lottery system.

You get 2 "tickets" for killing the stalker (this only happens if a player actually kills the Stalker).
    You get 1 "ticket" for dealing the most damage to the stalker.
    You get 1 "ticket" for being a player with the lowest score. This ticket is only handed out if the Stalker dies of natural causes, or if the Stalker wipes out all of the humans.

So basically, you have a 33% chance to become the Stalker if you deal the most damage, and 100% chance to become the Stalker if you damage him the most and he dies of natural causes. You have a 66% chance to become the Stalker if you kill him, and a 100% chance to become the Stalker if you dealt the most damage too. You have a chance to become the Stalker if every human is killed and you have the lowest score (this chance is determined by how many players have the same low score).

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,384 Posts
    The last ticket idea is a bad idea.
    The stalker is getting too noob friendly. Stalkers who dont know what they're doing are no fun at all, and generally get killed quickly/dont do much.
    The thing that made the old the stalker great was that it was merciless to unskilled players.
    Also you're making too many gameplay changes from the original The Stalker, and its starting to feel like The Hidden.
    Also the games kind of losing its fun, since the stalker is now 100% invisible, impossible to see, and all the gadgets are useless in finding him, and he now has 400HP on average, its impossible to really kill him, and most of the time its come down to luck. So i suggest either beefing up the laser sight/making it more sensitive to the stalker, or lowering the stalkers HP drastically, because it feels like you're trying to make it where the stalker wins the round most of the time, and its working. Its hard to see him, hard to kill him, he has tons of advantages, the only advantage the Unit 8 crew has is numbers, and its pretty much nullified. Its gotten to the point to where the stalker wins every round. Please fix this.
    I think you could fixs this by doing any one of these things alone, and only alone. Doing two or more would throw it all off again.
    1: bring back shadows on the stalker but make the flashlight an addon that takes up 2 addon slots, so its not overpowered
    2: lower the stalkers HP, instead of 125+25x (x being the players) to create the current stalkers health, make it 125+5X instead.
    3: beef up the lasersight. A LOT, its useless pretty much in aiding to spot the stalker right now.