1. Post #281
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    4,724 Posts
    My take on the storyline:

First off let's start with the main character's name. It's Richard. We're introduced to Richard when he starts talking to the three masked men.

The horse represent's Richard's past.

"Oh you don't know who you are? Perhaps we should keep it that way" this is Richard being unaware of what he's done.

"But I know you." The Rooster mask which is named Richard. This represents you/the present.
    "Look at my face. We've met before. Haven't we?" Yes because you're the same person.

The Owl represents Richard's future/conscience.
    "I don't know you! Why are you here? You're no guest of mine!" Richard's conscience is upset with the fact that he's taken to murder.

"Do you really want me to reveal who you are? Knowing oneself means acknowledging one's actions" This is a major clue. The first part of the game is Richard's memory. You aren't present. Since this occurs before you actually murder anyone, Richard doesn't realize who he is. "As of lately, you've done some terrible things" like kill people.

"You don't remember me? I'll give you a clue. Does April 3rd mean anything to you? I believe that was the day of our first encounter. You look like you might be remembering something" Then you start.

Richard does his first mission. Which is interesting. You get your package which contains your mask and a letter. You automatically know where the drop off zone is. You've been told where it was before. That or you were hypnotized. Either way, you know. You go kill, get the briefcase and deliver it. Notice, when you're doing the killings, music is playing. This means that Richard is in his hypnotic state. Once you kill the homeless man, you're normal, old Richard. This is why he vomits after the kill. Richard as himself is not used to this.

After "saving his girlfriend", Richard consults his mind.

"Oh it's you again" says his past. Referencing that Richard is revisiting his past. "It looks like you've been busy since we last met." Busy remembering.

"I see that you remember me now. Don't you? But you still don't know who I am." Richard remembers how he began killing. But he doesn't realize where he is presently. "You don't know who introduced us, do you?" You really don't.

"Why did you come back here? You're not a nice person are you? You make me sick!" This is Richard's conscience scolding him for remembering his killings.

"A picture is starting to take form here... I wonder if it's accurate. Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks." Richard's past realizes that Richard is misremembering. Or constructing his memories how HE wants. Richard DIDN'T save his girlfriend. She's dead. That's not all but we'll get to that.

"I think our time is up. But we'll meet again. Before you go, here's four questions to ponder.
    Question one:
    Do you like hurting other people? (No. Richard is hypnotized)
    Question two:
    Who is leaving messages on your answering machine? (We'll get to this)
    Question three:
    Where are you right now? (Richard is in the hospital. We'll get to this)
    Question four:
    Why are we having this conversation? (Because Richard is in a coma. This is his mind's construction to help him make sense of his world.)

That's all for now. See you soon..."

Richard then goes on to kill some more. Notice here that you start seeing other bodies who are from your organization. The men in white are the Russian mafia. In one level you see a masked man being tortured for answers, you fine one dying in the sewer (probably killed by your handlers), and one on the dance floor in one of the missions. Richard is the clean up man. He goes and does jobs that others aren't capable of.

Richard's handlers call him to deal with the problem at Phone Hom. This is where things get fucked up. Richard recalls walking into a building full of dead bodies and killing the helmet wearing man. This memory is unreliable. Afterward, Richard consults his mind. This time he is covered in blood and his mind is radically deteriorating.

"So, you came back?" asks his past. "How are you feeling? You look ill." Yes, because Richard is in the hospital. He lost that fight. "Maybe you should see a doctor?" Indeed. He needs medical attention.

"I told you not to come back here! I see that my opinion of you doesn't matter..." Richard's conscience scolds him. This is basically his conscience saying "The more you remember these events, the worse your state is... But I see that doesn't matter. Go ahead. Go psycho." He goes on "If you insist on returning here, then I should leave!" Which is Richard's conscience's way of saying "Why should I stop you from murdering people? Obviously you relish these memories!"

"Have you thought about what I asked you last time? I'm not here to give you any answers..." Richard's present says. This is because he genuinely doesn't know the answers. Not now anyways.

"Questions are all I have to offer a man like you." That's because Richard is questioning himself. That and because he is questioning the present.

"If you're not feeling well, maybe you should rest? Some thing work out best when you don't try so hard. No matter who you are, bearing too much weight inevitably leads to the collapse of everything." Richard's past is telling him to stop remembering these events. He has no real reason to. By constantly reminding himself of what he's done, he risks going psycho.

"Next time we meet will be the last." Says Richard's present self. "I can see it in your eyes." Richard is beginning to wake up. "Before you go I'll leave you with three predictions:
    Someone you know is not who you think he is. (I believe this is referring to helmet guy. In other words: he's not dead. He's also not a bad guy.)
    Something will soon be taken from you. (Yes, your girlfriend, your life and your sanity.)
    On July the 21st you will wake up in a bigger house. (On July 21st, the mission Trauma takes place. You wake up in the hospital)
    That is all"

It is after Richard's encounter with the helmet guy that he starts to hallucinate and see dead people talking. It's AFTER Trauma that the hallucinations go away. The rat is in your apartment and when you walk in you see that your girlfriend has been murdered.

"Ah, there you are! I was wondering when you'd be getting back." Richard is not under hypnosis right now. The rat is. "Well, let's get this over with then." B

BLAM!

Richard is shot.

Richard comes back to see his present projection sitting on the couch. The atmosphere changes to the same one as when you consult your mind other times.

"Looks like it's only you and me left now. I'm sure you know by now, that this won't end well. Soon you will be all alone. But that's okay." This is referencing the fact that Richard will wake up in the hospital without any friends. His girlfriend will have been murdered.

"Before we say goodbye, I'll let you in on a secret... What you do from here on, won't serve any purpose. You will never see the whole picture... And it's all your own fault. Now it's time for you to leave. There's a warm bed across the hall from here."

This is in reference to one of two things. You can argue that Richard died. The ending is all his imagination. But I'd like to think the game isn't THAT grim.

Richard says to himself "You'll never see the whole picture." There's one reason for that.

"And you look like you can use some rest."

Richard wakes up on July 21st. He isn't psycho. In fact, he's far from it. He's "waking up" at this point. He desperately wants answers. Having been trained to be a killing machine, Richard does what he does best, he kills all the police to get answers from the rat man. Upon being disappointed, Richard kills him.

Richard finally confronts the boss of the Russian mafia. Once killing him, Richard finally feels liberated. No longer bound to kill. He doesn't seek answers because he is satisfied. The ending is bitter sweet. Richard's life is destroyed but he is no longer a puppet. Unfortunately he'll never know the full story.

~Rewind sequence~

But Helmet guy, on the other hand, never fell for the tricks. While he had joined up with the same movement as Richard, Helmet guy wanted to get to the bottom of who was calling the shots and why this was happening.

Helmet guy goes to Phone Hom. Here (in my opinion. Depends on how you play/interpret it) Helmet guy DOES NOT kill anyone at Phone Hom. In fact, Helmet guy tries not to kill anyone unless they're armed. Helmet guy only kills the Phone Hom CEO cause he knows that they're the hub for where the calls are coming from.

"Interesting..." Helmet guy finds an address. "So that's where you've been hiding..." Richard walks in. Wearing the Rooster mask. This is why present projection Richard is wearing a rooster mask in the mind consultation sequences. That's what he was last wearing before the coma.

"Get out of here if you don't want to die!" Unfortunately Richard can't talk or fight it. He's hypnotized to kill everyone at the address he was given. It was Richard who killed the employees. It was Richard's mission to kill helmet guy. His fucked up memory made him remember it differently.

"Okay have it your way!" Helmet guy slices Richard. "You had your chance." Just like that, Richard is hospitalized. This is further alluded to when you play as Richard and do this mission. The bartender says "I have a feeling something terrible happened tonight... There's something in the air" this is in reference to Richard's injury.

The rat killed Richard's girlfriend.
    Helmet guy hospitalized Richard.

In the end, Richard doesn't find out why these things were happening. He killed the Russian mob boss and was liberated by completing his mission rather than destroying the source.

Helmet guy DOES find the answer. He finds the base of operations in the sewer with the cleaning people. If you input the password, Helmet guy discovers that the cleaners' plan was to ruin Russia and America's relations through the destruction of the mafia.

That's it. The final conclusion of whether or not they succeed or what helmet guy and Richard do next is to be determined. Perhaps there will be a sequel or DLC!  

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events Winner Winner x 20Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #282
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,863 Posts
    Thinking of getting this, should I?
    Only thing that puts me off is the flashing and bobbing visual which might be irritating.
    The visuals don't really flash or bob.

It's just the trailers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

3. Post #283

August 2012
    21 Posts
    I would also like to add something:    the area the protagonist goes to in chapter 14 is the area mentioned in the police files, relating to the answering machine messages. Now, look at that area and the area in Chapter 19, the resolution chapter. They are EXACTLY THE SAME. The Biker got to that area in chapter 19 because he got information, but unlike the Jacket dude, he went into the correct room. It's why the Biker says that the two cleaners are setting up in the enemy's base.

I would however, say that Jacket was a puppet, albeit unknowingly, till the end. He never confirmed whether the russian mob was sending the messages - he just assumed it. By doing that, he carried out what the two cleaners wanted, and killed the boss of the mobsters, probably ending the Ruso-American Coalition.

I also believe that the two timelines are separate and that they are both possible timelines. It's why the chickendude tells the Jacket dude that he will "never see the whole picture, and it's all his fault". It's because he killed the Biker dude, who would have uncovered the two cleaners' plot. Because he killed the Biker dude, nobody would uncover the plot and he would think that he had his revenge by destroying the Russian mob. It's also why the chickendude says that from then on, nothing he does would have any meaning. It doesn't have any meaning, because even though he thinks he's avenging his girlfriend's death, he's just mindlessly killing people with no real purpose. 

Oh yeah, also
       If you look closely at the cutscenes, owldude is wearing the russian mobster suit, chickendude is wearing jacket dude's suit, and the horsedude is sitting how the girlfriend sits. Also, the poster clearly shows that horsedude is a female.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events

4. Post #284
    IDIOT WHO IS NEVER FUNNY AND CANT UNDER STAND WHEN NOT WANTED
    September 2006
    5,482 Posts
    Thinking of getting this, should I?
    Only thing that puts me off is the flashing and bobbing visual which might be irritating.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #285
    DANK
    July 2011
    9,496 Posts
    I already own a horse head
    And a realistic looking shotgun

I KNOW WHAT I'M GOING AS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

6. Post #286
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,762 Posts
    Gonna get it then. At worst, it still won't be anywhere near Beat Hazard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

7. Post #287
    IDIOT WHO IS NEVER FUNNY AND CANT UNDER STAND WHEN NOT WANTED
    September 2006
    5,482 Posts
    Ho-ly shit. From start to finish, I couldn't stop reading your post. By far that is the most awesome depiction of events, and I can honestly say I think you're right.

Awesome, man. The way you laid it out was so easy to follow. Your post was indescribably brilliant. Good job! Seriously, I couldn't stop reading your post, it was all clicking in my head and made so much sense, in such a genius way.

Fuck me, man. Thinking outside the box, you took it to an all new level. Thanks for posting that, it's really made a lot of things slide into place for me. I was too much of an idiot to figure that out myself haha

Good job, buddy <3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #288
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    4,724 Posts
    I would also like to add something:    the area the protagonist goes to in chapter 14 is the area mentioned in the police files, relating to the answering machine messages. Now, look at that area and the area in Chapter 19, the resolution chapter. They are EXACTLY THE SAME. The Biker got to that area in chapter 19 because he got information, but unlike the Jacket dude, he went into the correct room. It's why the Biker says that the two cleaners are setting up in the enemy's base.

I would however, say that Jacket was a puppet, albeit unknowingly, till the end. He never confirmed whether the russian mob was sending the messages - he just assumed it. By doing that, he carried out what the two cleaners wanted, and killed the boss of the mobsters, probably ending the Ruso-American Coalition.

I also believe that the two timelines are separate and that they are both possible timelines. It's why the chickendude tells the Jacket dude that he will "never see the whole picture, and it's all his fault". It's because he killed the Biker dude, who would have uncovered the two cleaners' plot. Because he killed the Biker dude, nobody would uncover the plot and he would think that he had his revenge by destroying the Russian mob. It's also why the chickendude says that from then on, nothing he does would have any meaning. It doesn't have any meaning, because even though he thinks he's avenging his girlfriend's death, he's just mindlessly killing people with no real purpose. 

Oh yeah, also
       If you look closely at the cutscenes, owldude is wearing the russian mobster suit, chickendude is wearing jacket dude's suit, and the horsedude is sitting how the girlfriend sits. Also, the poster clearly shows that horsedude is a female.   
       Hmm you make a good point. Biker's discovery of that building is in May. Richard's is in July. I really want to believe that it's all one timeline. I'm just far too lazy to get the dates from every mission. I'll have to look further into it.

Also I thought about arguing their appearances. It still makes sense. Owl dude, the mobster, represents Richard's future. Which is to kill the mob boss. The horse represents Richard's past because his girlfriend is no longer part of his life.

You really do bring up a good point though. Mindlessly killing the mafia wouldn't help him and I can see that being a viable interpretation. I'm hoping the devs speak out on it. It's really interesting to think about.  

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #289

August 2012
    21 Posts
       Hmm you make a good point. Biker's discovery of that building is in May. Richard's is in July. I really want to believe that it's all one timeline. I'm just far too lazy to get the dates from every mission. I'll have to look further into it.

Also I thought about arguing their appearances. It still makes sense. Owl dude, the mobster, represents Richard's future. Which is to kill the mob boss. The horse represents Richard's past because his girlfriend is no longer part of his life.

You really do bring up a good point though. Mindlessly killing the mafia wouldn't help him and I can see that being a viable interpretation. I'm hoping the devs speak out on it. It's really interesting to think about.  

They have, actually, there's a story thread on the steam forums where they give out hints about the story.

Like how there are two beds at the very beginning of the game, even before the first killing, and how calling the physical hotline will result in you learning about a previous girlfriend leaving Jacket. I think this implies something similar to this has happened before (without so much killing), that there is an inherent flaw in Jacket's personality that causes bad things to happen to those around him.   

10. Post #290
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    4,724 Posts
    They have, actually, there's a story thread on the steam forums where they give out hints about the story.

Like how there are two beds at the very beginning of the game, even before the first killing, and how calling the physical hotline will result in you learning about a previous girlfriend leaving Jacket. I think this implies something similar to this has happened before (without so much killing), that there is an inherent flaw in Jacket's personality that causes bad things to happen to those around him.   
        Ah see I didn't know about any of this meta game stuff :v: I did notice there were two beds at the start. But the theory in my head is that until Trauma, all the events are either memories or hallucinations. So if it's in his mind, he may be remembering that he has a girlfriend. But its unclear where she is. So he "rescues" her in his memories but lost her in reality. I'll have to call up the hotline so I can hear it for myself. But we really don't know how long things have been happening like this. It's entirely possible that Richard has been doing this since the start and it's only now that the cycle is broken cause he completed his mission.

Or maybe its some crazy, never ending loop like Memento  

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Show Events

11. Post #291

August 2012
    21 Posts
        Ah see I didn't know about any of this meta game stuff :v: I did notice there were two beds at the start. But the theory in my head is that until Trauma, all the events are either memories or hallucinations. So if it's in his mind, he may be remembering that he has a girlfriend. But its unclear where she is. So he "rescues" her in his memories but lost her in reality. I'll have to call up the hotline so I can hear it for myself. But we really don't know how long things have been happening like this. It's entirely possible that Richard has been doing this since the start and it's only now that the cycle is broken cause he completed his mission.

Or maybe its some crazy, never ending loop like Memento  

Well I mean he did vomit after killing that hobo, and he did only get that 50 blessings welcoming letter at the start. So I doubt that he's been doing this since forever. I think he does start to get used to it, as can be seen from how he starts cutting out newspaper articles of his crimes. He may even be liking the carnage, and just needed an excuse to cause more violence, thus explaining why he didn't properly avenge his girlfriend by making absolutely sure of the facts before killing tonsa dudes.   

In any case though, I absolutely love the storyline. The game wouldn't be the same without it!

12. Post #292
    PHD IN SUCKING DICK
    June 2008
    6,948 Posts
    Am I the only one getting errors when launching the Steam version? The music doesnt seem to work either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

13. Post #293
    May 2007
    1,894 Posts
    Am I the only one getting errors when launching the Steam version? The music doesnt seem to work either.
    Disable Steamworks when it asks you at the start. Seemed to fix it for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #294
    July 2007
    1,354 Posts
        Still doesn't explain who the rooster, owl and horse were. They gave you orders but you still don't fully learn their roles.    
       The masks are parts of your psyche, the character is slowly going insane after the brutal murders.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

15. Post #295
    November 2008
    1,351 Posts
    Does using Carl's drill not let you keep your scores? I played through two levels and used the drill but my score wasn't saved.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events

16. Post #296
    PHD IN SUCKING DICK
    June 2008
    6,948 Posts
    Disable Steamworks when it asks you at the start. Seemed to fix it for me.
    I've tried that, didnt seem to work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

17. Post #297
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,024 Posts
    Only 1 small problem I have with this game- lethal doors don't kill dogs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #298

August 2012
    21 Posts
    I've tried that, didnt seem to work.
    I got your problem and fixed it by reinstalling the game, then restarting my computer.

19. Post #299
    Fuck Arnold Palmer
    April 2011
    8,499 Posts
    how to get the puzzle pieces? i havent unlocked any of them and the puzzle option is greyed out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

20. Post #300
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    15,212 Posts
    how to get the puzzle pieces? i havent unlocked any of them and the puzzle option is greyed out
    They're small purple like 3x3 pixel dots you can find around levels.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Lithuania Show Events

21. Post #301
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,431 Posts
    Okay, got every mask and puzzle piece now. Seen the extra ending, whee.

The game did crash a couple of times leaving the levels though. When I got the last puzzle piece it crashed so hard that even ctrl+alt+del failed. Had to hard restart and then get the piece again.

22. Post #302
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,667 Posts
    Gah, the Batman achievement is such a pain. I still haven't gotten it because I just can't figure out which level gives you a bat on the start. I tried 'Push It' which has a dude at the beginning with a bat, always, but that doesn't seem to be it, or maybe I'm just missing something here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

23. Post #303
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    6,827 Posts
    The music in this game is fucking amazing
    It's helped me find an awesome artist, too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #304
    DANK
    July 2011
    9,496 Posts
    Wow this site is great for Hotline Miami masks

Happy Halloween
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

25. Post #305
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    9,715 Posts
    This game would make an awesome film.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

26. Post #306
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,863 Posts
    yep, minimal plot and shitloads of brutal killing.

oh wait we already have a million of those
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14 (list)

27. Post #307
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    15,212 Posts
    Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #308
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,213 Posts
    Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn
    more like M. Night Shyamalan for the twists this shit has

29. Post #309
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    19,630 Posts

Any good director or storywriter could have a field day with this game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

30. Post #310
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts

Get out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Luxembourg Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #311

July 2012
    2,890 Posts

Happy Halloween
    Oh I've seen this one somewhere before...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #312
    January 2010
    2,251 Posts
    Damn, I haven't had so much fun with a game for years !
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #313
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    15,212 Posts
    By the way I've been working on a model hack of the main dude for garrysmod:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Lithuania Show Events Winner Winner x 7Disagree Disagree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

34. Post #314
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    9,898 Posts
    A coop mp version would own
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

35. Post #315
    March 2010
    5,013 Posts
       Oh! Perhaps Richard didn't witness his girlfriend's murder at all. He formed his own conclusions. Remember that he overheard hospital staff and an officer discussing about the guy wearing the rat mask?   

36. Post #316
    beep
    January 2006
    6,891 Posts
    Wow this site is great for Hotline Miami masks

Happy Halloween
    You got to carefully cut out the eyes though. The souless eyes make it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

37. Post #317
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    9,898 Posts
    you look through the mouths in those masks anyways

Edited:

or the nose

38. Post #318
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,874 Posts

umm ok later dawg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

39. Post #319
    DANK
    July 2011
    9,496 Posts
    Oh I've seen this one somewhere before...
    That's because they are all from the same shop ;o
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

40. Post #320
    YOU ARE DUMB AND NOBODY LIKES YOU
    January 2010
    5,819 Posts

umm ok later dawg

i've seen things like that happen before too. the dogs just warp through glass panels and walls
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)