1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    8,374 Posts
    OK I just collected all puzzle pieces/letters and I can confirm that the owl mask does indeed make the purple pieces pop out more, as in they're bigger and more prominent, and slightly rotate a bit.

The puzzle solution is    I WAS BORN IN THE USA    which will be the    password for the 19th chapter, which you can enter on the computer before the sewer manhole   

It'll be revealed as you go down and talk to the 2 cleaners that they're actually Nationalists doing secret work to manipulate people into breaking the Ruso-American coalition, and they work for a bigger foundation and stuff. The 2 themselves did volunteer and plan the whole phone thing by themselves but it's still all part of something bigger from the foundation, which motorcycle guy is apparently a member of too as well, at least from what I understand   

Edited:

Here's a video for those who can't be bothered finding them all, heavy spoilers of course so just click if you're really that lazy

dunno why it looks super retro VHS artifact-y on YouTube, the raw FRAPS looks cleaner but eh w/e it still looks cool lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Philippines Show Events

2. Post #42
    November 2010
    10 Posts
    I organized the music into a soundtrack in .flac with nice cover art and all. If you bought the game and you want it, PM me and I'll send it to you.
    Also, if you guys really like the music you should check out the official soundtrack (and, also check out the contributing artists because their stuff is rad).
    (Also also, they're planning to sell the soundtrack soon.)

While I'm being all excited for the game and stuff, this guy made some promotional photos for the game that make for neat desktop pictures, and I feel the thread could do with the full version of the art used for digital storefront backgrounds/ads:

(It was made by El Huervo, who also did music for the game.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 13Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #43
    June 2010
    1,813 Posts
    Got this game today and I finished it in one day. God damn that was good. Got the puzzle ending. I have all the masks except the crocodile silhouette one. How do you get that one?

Edited:

Also what's up with that guy who seems to work at every store?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,213 Posts
    Got this game today and I finished it in one day. God damn that was good. Got the puzzle ending. I have all the masks except the crocodile silhouette one. How do you get that one?

Edited:

Also what's up with that guy who seems to work at every store?
    Apparently the crocodile mask gives more gore in the game... Did anyone find it?

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    8,374 Posts
    Apparently the crocodile mask gives more gore in the game... Did anyone find it?
    Yeah, his name is Jones, he makes gibbing and stuff easier even on relatively light objects, and more blood and gibbing usually while shooting as well, notably shotguns.

Sorry to say though I kinda forgot where I exactly found the mask

It may had been in chapter 8 or 9 floating above a dead body's head.

Edited:

thanks!

Jones is on chapter 5. First complete the chapter then use the crowbar that always spawns in the first room on the manhole cover on the bottom right of the level.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Philippines Show Events

6. Post #46
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    God, the art direction in this game is so sweet. I love the masks, I love the levels, the sound, the filters, everything.

I really do hope this is an ongoing project. I'd hate to only have the content we have now; it's a rather short game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

7. Post #47
    March 2010
    7,606 Posts
    I don't know about the game but the soundtrack is amazing.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    11,240 Posts
    I made an mp3 version of the soundtrack if that's your bag. PM me if you'd like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,213 Posts
    Ok so I think I figured out the "alienware" mode in the options menu. I'm guessing that it has to do with the alienware "AlienFx" stuff. I guess it makes the keyboard or whatever the hell it lights up light up in sync with the music or how many people you kill or something. I'm just taking a guess from the Alieninmiami.dll in the game folder.

10. Post #50
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    Ok so I think I figured out the "alienware" mode in the options menu. I'm guessing that it has to do with the alienware "AlienFx" stuff. I guess it makes the keyboard or whatever the hell it lights up light up in sync with the music or how many people you kill or something. I'm just taking a guess from the Alieninmiami.dll in the game folder.
    fuck me, that sounds awesome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

11. Post #51
    insert long title here
    January 2009
    15,144 Posts
    Carl is in chapter 8 above the dead body in the disco.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,106 Posts
    Isn't this made in Game Maker? Pretty cool looking!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #53
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    I just completed the game, holy fuck. What the christ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Luxembourg Show Events

14. Post #54
    December 2009
    1,990 Posts
    i fucking love it

i preordered retro city rampage in like may and was really bummed out at how lame it is, but hotline miami has me hooked. i've beaten it already and have to keep playing through to unlock more masks

tbh the character himself is an absolute badass. there should be a sequel to this or something because i feel like this is the game version of the movie Drive

Edited:

Edited:

in fact, a hotline miami/kane & lynch 2 style 80s retro brawler shoot-em-up would be intense as hell. FORGET HATS; WE NEED MASKS
    I like every single damn thing you said in this post. It's like a perfect combination of awesomeness.

Seriously though, I was only able to play 10 minutes of the game yesterday... but god damn, 2 minutes in and I already knew it was fucking awesome. The soundtrack, the visuals, the theme, the actual concept, THE MASKS!

It's allll so good.

I have to admit though, like you mentioned Kane and Lynch... imagine if this game was a TPS. Like, an actual full thrown third person shooter. Wow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    11,240 Posts
    I don't think this game would be as fun in third person shooter perspective or first person.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

16. Post #56
    November 2009
    1,035 Posts
    Is it worth buying this on Steam or on GOG? Kinda went through the SPUF and found people having problems with the Steam version
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events

17. Post #57
    December 2009
    1,990 Posts
    I don't think this game would be as fun in third person shooter perspective or first person.
    I guess it's just personal preference.. but if they did something similar like the club with its combo system, I could see it working out quite well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

18. Post #58
    YOU ARE DUMB AND NOBODY LIKES YOU
    January 2010
    6,304 Posts
    to me, if this was a game that was anything other than over-the-top, it HAS to be first person

for starters, the focus is obviously melee combat and getting combo kills so that would have to be implemented. the best way of doing it is having gritty in-your-face-combat, but on top of that there just has to be no hud at all. how does one check to see how wounded they are? bam. look down and see for yourself by looking at your own wounds (think dark messiah with visible wounds appearing on your body) plus they should make it unforgiving as hell and fuck you over so you're stuck with the wounds you have as you progress throughout the level, so if you screw up right at the beginning and become a gimp then shame on you

honestly the game itself just leads to an amazing amount of ideas that could be implemented and people will still love it. co-op gameplay and even multiplayer would be awesome since you could have two teams with different highschool-style jacket colors go head to head with different masks

i REALLY hope these guys expand on it because this game has a diehard fanbase already. to me, this thing could blow up to be practically the next fight club if they play their cards right. every form of media on this has the potential to really blossom in to an absolute mindfuck masterpiece
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    15,747 Posts
    Is it worth buying this on Steam or on GOG? Kinda went through the SPUF and found people having problems with the Steam version
    GOG version is kinda simplier to use, just download an installer, install and play.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    November 2009
    1,035 Posts
    GOG version is kinda simplier to use, just download an installer, install and play.
    What about updates/patches?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Singapore Show Events

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    15,747 Posts
    What about updates/patches?
    You just download a new installer. It's not like it's a big game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events

22. Post #62
    January 2010
    6,304 Posts
    i'm mad because the devs disabled steamworks so you have no achievement gain or anything. you can't even get better scores on your levels so all of my replaying is about useless (not that i care much about achievements, but I want to get A+ on all of the levels and I can't because it doesn't save)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #63
    December 2009
    1,990 Posts
    i'm mad because the devs disabled steamworks so you have no achievement gain or anything. you can't even get better scores on your levels so all of my replaying is about useless (not that i care much about achievements, but I want to get A+ on all of the levels and I can't because it doesn't save)
    They'll probably fix it eventually... hopefully.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

24. Post #64
    January 2010
    6,304 Posts
    i think it's supposed to be patched today but who knows

25. Post #65
    August 2010
    877 Posts
    to me, if this was a game that was anything other than over-the-top, it HAS to be first person

for starters, the focus is obviously melee combat and getting combo kills so that would have to be implemented. the best way of doing it is having gritty in-your-face-combat, but on top of that there just has to be no hud at all. how does one check to see how wounded they are? bam. look down and see for yourself by looking at your own wounds (think dark messiah with visible wounds appearing on your body) plus they should make it unforgiving as hell and fuck you over so you're stuck with the wounds you have as you progress throughout the level, so if you screw up right at the beginning and become a gimp then shame on you
    The game kinda relies on being able to see what's ahead of you and being able to plan around it though. And being able to take several hits seems like it would kill some of the intensity and speed. Honestly, I just don't see how the game could really work the way it does in any other perspective than top-down.

26. Post #66
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    What is flexibility? I always get a 0 on that rating. How can that be influenced?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Luxembourg Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #67
    August 2010
    877 Posts
    What is flexibility? I always get a 0 on that rating. How can that be influenced?
    If I remember correctly, it's supposed to relate to the variety of weapons you used during the level, but it's currently bugged and always gives you a score of 0.

28. Post #68
    January 2010
    6,304 Posts
    The game kinda relies on being able to see what's ahead of you and being able to plan around it though. And being able to take several hits seems like it would kill some of the intensity and speed. Honestly, I just don't see how the game could really work the way it does in any other perspective than top-down.
    i'm thinking more along the lines of the game requiring some planning ahead. i mean, honestly, you could add so much more to the game by being able to scout on the location you're going to bust in to (at least the immediately exposed areas such as windows). It'd be cool as hell. Like, before every job you should be able to look at your desk and see a written down floorplan with [probable] enemy locations and so when you execute it, you have to memorize what is where.

You could really make the game blossom and become a really great masterpiece because obviously the game in its current state is to be a quick-reflex quick-thought game, but since the enemy positions don't randomize or anything the replayaybility is going to become fairly dull

Edited:

If I remember correctly, it's supposed to relate to the variety of weapons you used during the level, but it's currently bugged and always gives you a score of 0.
    that's exactly it, but according to the devs it hasn't been fully implemented (which is weird since it's a full release game. what)

29. Post #69
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    Firefights in this game are so fucking intense, especially at that stage where you can get the Uzi machine guns.

30. Post #70
    insert long title here
    January 2009
    15,144 Posts
    I hate it when the game forces me to use a gun. Feels like cheating.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Austria Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

31. Post #71
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    Guns are really not that great, well they attract a shitton of mobsters. I usually shoot several shots to attract some enemies and then wait a door with a knife. Well, they all die due to the fast slashes.

32. Post #72
    January 2010
    6,304 Posts
    yeah, you usually get shot as soon as you miss

33. Post #73
    insert long title here
    January 2009
    15,144 Posts
    Thats just gay. Why would you not play the game?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Austria Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

34. Post #74
    January 2010
    6,304 Posts
    the best gun moment is when you're on the lobby floor of like level 9 or something like that, with the waiters throwing down their trays and unleashing skorp fire right at the door while other dudes try to rush in to the lobby room to kill you. it's intense

Edited:

and then you realize if you strafe up and down you can just make them all empty their guns and stand there with no way of fighting back

35. Post #75
    ktr
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    298 Posts
    Yeah, his name is Jones, he makes gibbing and stuff easier even on relatively light objects, and more blood and gibbing usually while shooting as well, notably shotguns.

http://i.imgur.com/qQc4e.png
    http://i.imgur.com/yJgUG.png

Sorry to say though I kinda forgot where I exactly found the mask

It may had been in chapter 8 or 9 floating above a dead body's head.
    Jones is on chapter 5. First complete the chapter then use the crowbar that always spawns in the first room on the manhole cover on the bottom right of the level.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #76
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,305 Posts
    Is this game as good as it looks?

37. Post #77
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    It is a fucking blast!

38. Post #78
    Rude member.
    August 2010
    4,783 Posts
    The music is fucking amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,213 Posts
    Man if they made a sequel it would be amazing if it were open world and there were side missions and shit. I would play for hours on end.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

40. Post #80
    August 2010
    6,943 Posts
    How about randomly generated missions?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Luxembourg Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)