1. Post #1
    September 2006
    50 Posts
    Starting this sketchbook with the hopes of some crits and advices on how to improve. Just planning on keeping this updated as long as possible really. Hopefully, im also gonna be able to do daily updates here, unless all my school stuff takes to much time.

I got another sketchbook on Conceptart.org as well. You can watch my progress the latest year there: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...etchbook/page5

So here are some of my personal stuff:

Edited:

Some studies:

Edit: Seems like all the pictures went MIA for some reason ...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10Winner Winner x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    7,296 Posts
    Pretty consistently I'm seeing the palm/"body" of the hands being too wide and the thumbs being too small. All of your figures are extremely stiff and lifeless, and the top picture (being the only one with a discernible background) has a really horrid composition. The bottom right study is nice, though the face might be a bit overworked.

Edited:

Your CA sketchbook has quite a few nice things on it. Most of your facial work is very nice.

You should really cut down on those nasty soft brushes you use for anything in colour, e.g the guy in the blue robe up there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    September 2006
    50 Posts
    Thank you for the crits MakoSkyDub. I am going to focus on the poses this week, especially 30, 60, and 120 second poses. Trying to get some more life into my figures atm. Im also going to adress the other crits about the composition, color and such.

Also, thanks for the compliment on the facial work. Actually put some time and effort into getting the faces down.

4. Post #4
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    7,296 Posts
    I need to do likewise!

5. Post #5
    September 2006
    50 Posts
    Some recent stuff. I am no planning on practicing the poses and similar. So much stuff to do ...

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    January 2011
    7,296 Posts
    Fuck I need your work ethic.

Do you flip your canvas when you work on longer pieces? The girl's face is pretty wonky in the first study
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    September 2006
    50 Posts
    I flip my canvas yes. Here is the ref for the girl btw:

Im thinking about starting to upload my real pencil sketchbook pages. Just gonna get my scanner fixed.

8. Post #8
    January 2011
    7,296 Posts
    Well I grant you she looks pretty wonky in the photo as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

9. Post #9
    September 2006
    50 Posts
    Wow, been a while since I updated here ... Just got scared off having to upload all the images to tinypic and stuff ...

Anyway. Conceptart.org seems to be down for good atm, so I've basically lost most of my work such as studies and wips and stuff. Here's some recent personal work and studies tho:

Personal work:

Anyone know of any other good image host sites btw? I've checked out imageshack and Photobucket, but they don't seem that good tbh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

10. Post #10
    Bought a special coat hanger just for her fedoras
    June 2010
    224 Posts
    Whow, these are pretty great. I especially like your landscapes. Keep doing what you're doing, you're heading the right way.

As for image host sites, I use filesmelt.com

11. Post #11
    July 2009
    4,168 Posts
    These are perfect
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

12. Post #12
    September 2006
    50 Posts
    These are perfect
    Nah. But maybe in the future if I keep working hard!

Some stuff from yesterday. Two studies and thumbnails from imagination.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

13. Post #13
    September 2006
    50 Posts
    Recent stuff. First some enviroments and a really quick speedpaint from imagination.

Then some stuff from an awesome online class about female anatomy. Did this today and was told not to go crazy with the rendering ... Will update with personal work tomorrow. Cya then.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,821 Posts
    the texture work gives me this really eerie uncanny valley sorta vibe where it all looks very real and familiar and yet creepily not quite right
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

15. Post #15
    September 2006
    50 Posts
    the texture work gives me this really eerie uncanny valley sorta vibe where it all looks very real and familiar and yet creepily not quite right
    Thanks for the crits. Gonna see if I can improve the texture work.

Here's some stuff from today that I did after school. Some studies and a refless girl face ...

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,821 Posts
    it's weird that the refless painting looks way more natural than the others, especially the master studies. also don't worry so much about having perfectly clean edges - the lasso'd(?) face in this new master study is jarring and looks 2D, especially when the hair is so blurry. on the subject of the hair, try to capture the flow and style of it a bit better; the reference has a woman with curly bushy hair but your painting sorta looks like a sponge headdress. i can understand that if you start with the face and head and then move on to the hair it can get pretty boring but try to persevere
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    September 2006
    50 Posts
    Forgot about this thread ... Anyway, here's some personal work and sketches. All the studies and similar are in my CA sketchbook ... To much trouble uploading it all here.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    January 2011
    7,296 Posts
    Something is not quite right with your faces but I'm having a hard time putting my finger on it idk
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,524 Posts
    I feel like maybe there's an issue with arbitrary lighting, where some spots are darker or lighter but it doesn't really make sense why, or perhaps it's over exaggerated. I think anatomically your work is amazing but stylistically they just seem...yeah hard to find words for it. Maybe soft describes it for a start. Or maybe it's the jarring contrast between occasional razor sharp spots while the majority of the image is soft. Still keep up the amazing work, you're going places.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    September 2006
    50 Posts
    Hey everyone. The last few months have been really something ... I graduated school ... I vent on a 5 week amazing roadtrip to USA ... When I got back home, I found out that my life had collapsed on itself ... but thats a diffirent story!
    Now im left with nothing but time (atm anyway, I guess you can never know what to expect next), so I decided to come back to updating all my threads. I will really do all I can to just produce as much art as possible and improve as much as I possibly can. Any critiscism or advice would be really apreciated! Maybe this time, I can actually succeed in doing updates pretty much every day.
    I've been doing tons and tons of studies and art during this long break from the internet, but i'll just go ahead and show you some really recent stuff (only some sketches and personal work). The last image of the swamp dude is a WIP btw, so crits here would be extra nice. :

W.I.P:

21. Post #21
    February 2010
    7,928 Posts
    I like the way you draw, but the way you paint needs a ton of improvement. Right now, the lack of texture and the lack of tonal range makes your work feel like an airbrushed painting on a carnival ride.

Another thing is that your painting seems to mess with the drawing. Everything feels kind of...flat, if you understand what I mean.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    September 2006
    50 Posts
    Thanks for the crits man. I don't really know how to solve it except continuing to study and practice.

One of the things I will do for my next painting is not to rush it so much. Im always eager to start painting the lineart, and I think thats what messes it up.

Anyway, heres some more stuff:

2 sketches from imagination to relax before bed, kinda messy, but im kinda sleepy so ...:

Finished swamp guy:

23. Post #23
    February 2010
    7,928 Posts
    this is kind of a badly drawn example, but I hope you understand what I mean by it

the shadowing in #1 is done in a manner that shows depth, that the arm is slightly apart from the torso

#2 is an exaggerated example of what you do. The shadowing stays consistent and lacks depth, and interferes with the anatomy, making it look awkward.

I suggest you do some shadow study with primary shapes for a quick start, then move onto complex objects.