1. Post #1
    Pedobear Escape 2
    December 2010
    341 Posts
    Using the precision tool you can crash a server by putting a prop really far out side of the map. Gmod has a fix for this by removing props, but a prop put too far crashes the server.

To see this exploit you can do it one of two ways, the first is using the push or pull. Set the number of the push/pull really high and right click or hit reload on a prop. The second is to use the move tool and set the snap distance really high. Then move the prop.

See an example image and the fix here: http://www.douglashuck.com/garrys-mo...crash-and-fix/

Rotation fix is here (Thanks to unrezt): http://www.douglashuck.com/garrys-mo...-and-fix-pt-2/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Friendly Friendly x 2Useful Useful x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    JamieH is a retarded bitch <3
    July 2008
    2,201 Posts
    As much as I'm happy when people give out fixes for crashes.

Don't you think multiple spamming on multiple servers of your link is stupid? I get helping people, but joining random DarkRP servers to spam your links into OOC is going a bit too far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Pedobear Escape 2
    December 2010
    341 Posts

Don't you think multiple spamming on multiple servers of your link is stupid? I get helping people, but joining random DarkRP servers to spam your links into OOC is going a bit too far.
    I haven't put my link anywhere aside from on Facepunch and on a workshop comment thread. You can hold me responsible for other people trying to get the message across.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

4. Post #4
    January 2013
    41 Posts
    lol pantho go fix your servers instead of complaining its awful how they all keep crashing ...
    i never saw him spam anything on your server.

FIX IT NOW
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 15Dumb Dumb x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    July 2008
    2,201 Posts
    I haven't put my link anywhere aside from on Facepunch and on a workshop comment thread. You can hold me responsible for other people trying to get the message across.
    Some guy claiming the link is his website and spamming it like hell, and you posting here shortly after made me think it's probably related.

Either way if it is you then stop being annoying. If it isn't then stop your friends being annoying. Since it was before you posted this page, and has been happening for 3-4 days I'd assume it's someone you gave the link to. Or are there other ways to find this website?

Anyway to be helpful you should add the stacker exploit to the list of popular crash exploits, same as easy precision really with setting offsetx/y/z.
    Capping those will fix it easily enough. Just throw something like:

if offsetx >= 300 OR offsetx <=-300 then return end
        if offsety >= 300 OR offsety <=-300 then return end
        if offsetz >= 300 OR offsetz <=-300 then return end

Into tool left click.

Edited:

lol pantho go fix your servers instead of complaining its awful how they all keep crashing ...
    i never saw him spam anything on your server.

FIX IT NOW
    Also Mr Troll, I fixed 3 crash exploits today. Although I'll be honest they where stupidly stupid and shouldn't have worked on the server in the first place.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,222 Posts
    Don't mean to offend but I checked the file with diffchecker before I uploaded the fix to my server, it looks legit. Thanks for the heads-up, we need more white-hat gents like you.

Edit: Thanks above for pointing out the stacker crash. Assuming the crash is caused by spawning a prop in a ridiculous place, fix it by changing line 84 in the stacker tool from

if !Ent:IsInWorld() then
    	return false //Who put just break here? Seriously? Giving the player no hint he/she's not supposed to do that?
    end

to

if !(Ent:IsInWorld() and util.IsInWorld(NewVec)) then
    	return false
    end

Edit2:

lines 53-55 as well, just to be safe;

local OffsetX		= math.Clamp(self:GetClientNumber( "offsetx" ), -300, 300)
    	local OffsetY		= math.Clamp(self:GetClientNumber( "offsety" ), -300, 300)
    	local OffsetZ		= math.Clamp(self:GetClientNumber( "offsetz" ), -300, 300)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    August 2009
    1,180 Posts
    Another bug with precision tool (the one on the workshop anyways); if you check the rotation box and set the rotation amount to zero it will crash.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Pedobear Escape 2
    December 2010
    341 Posts
    Another bug with precision tool (the one on the workshop anyways); if you check the rotation box and set the rotation amount to zero it will crash.
    Ill try this out, if it checks out ill update. Thank you.

Pantho. Your just acting dumb now. Stop talking. If someones spamming your server you can just ban them, problem solved, its not me. Also there are two threads the second is on another exploit from 3 days ago. The site did not exist 4 days ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member

November 2012
    327 Posts
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, and thank you more. I've been searching for how these fucks have been crashing my server. <3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Divinity Roleplay
    August 2011
    518 Posts
    Is it possible to crash the server just by somehow spawning props outside of the world? If so, I'm adding protection against that now, good that these things see the light of day.

11. Post #11
    Pedobear Escape 2
    December 2010
    341 Posts
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, and thank you more. I've been searching for how these fucks have been crashing my server. <3
    Make sure you use v2.

Is it possible to crash the server just by somehow spawning props outside of the world? If so, I'm adding protection against that now, good that these things see the light of day.
    The key is really far out. Garrys mod handles props spawned just outside the map by deleting them. Go to far and it crashes. I don't think it would be easy to protect against that with lua because you would have to run checks on any prop being moved not just spawned. The tool here moves a prop far outside the map not spawning it. Well made tools are the only protection we should need.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member

November 2012
    327 Posts
    Please post your fix, when you make it.

Edit: Faceguy, Did you fix the rotation error?

and, are you fixing stacker too? :P

13. Post #13
    Pedobear Escape 2
    December 2010
    341 Posts

Edit: Faceguy, Did you fix the rotation error?

and, are you fixing stacker too? :P
    Ill fix stacker tmrw. If someone could link me to the workshop most people use, that would be awesome.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member

November 2012
    327 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Divinity Roleplay
    August 2011
    518 Posts
    The key is really far out. Garrys mod handles props spawned just outside the map by deleting them. Go to far and it crashes. I don't think it would be easy to protect against that with lua because you would have to run checks on any prop being moved not just spawned. The tool here moves a prop far outside the map not spawning it. Well made tools are the only protection we should need.
    Eh, still added a little protection, just in-case.

Little simple one line that may or may not help. Like faceguydb said, the values are quite high.

Code:
    if not util.IsInWorld(trace.HitPos) then return false end
    Replace trace with whatever your hooks use.

The productivity in this thread astounds me, for some reason.

I'll try to contribute any crash that I can help fix as well.

16. Post #16
    Pedobear Escape 2
    December 2010
    341 Posts
    Eh, still added a little protection, just in-case.

Little simple one line that may or may not help. Like faceguydb said, the values are quite high.

Code:
    if not util.IsInWorld(trace.HitPos) then return false end
    Replace trace with whatever your hooks use.

The productivity in this thread astounds me, for some reason.

I'll try to contribute any crash that I can help fix as well.
    I am not trying to come off as a douche but from what I found testing the crash is in the engine and only happens when a crazy far value is chosen. I think the only way to prevent this is to never move it there and the only way to do that with lua is to do a check when running setpos if that is even possible. I am not sure but I think the set position function isn't a function written in lua, only called by lua.

This might be something garry could easy fix but I wouldn't hold my breath on it, all of the default gmod stuff doesn't have a problem only the crap we make.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,222 Posts
    You could possibly overload SetPos with another function which checks the position before moving the entity - this would be a blanket fix for the issue but this would likely conflict with addons like Gravity Hull which rely on the same trick. If you're not running any addons like that then the fix would look something like; (not tested)

local oldsetpos = Entity.SetPos
    Entity.SetPos = function(self, pos)
        if not util.IsInWorld(pos) then return false end
        oldsetpos(self, pos)
    end

Might want to overload the setpos function for physics objects too - i think they have a separate function for the same thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Useful Useful x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    5,577 Posts

Uh I'd thank the person that came on to my server and told me there was a critical exploit and how to fix it but that's just me.

Edited:

Some guy claiming the link is his website and spamming it like hell, and you posting here shortly after made me think it's probably related.

Either way if it is you then stop being annoying. If it isn't then stop your friends being annoying. Since it was before you posted this page, and has been happening for 3-4 days I'd assume it's someone you gave the link to. Or are there other ways to find this website?

Anyway to be helpful you should add the stacker exploit to the list of popular crash exploits, same as easy precision really with setting offsetx/y/z.
    Capping those will fix it easily enough. Just throw something like:

if offsetx >= 300 OR offsetx <=-300 then return end
        if offsety >= 300 OR offsety <=-300 then return end
        if offsetz >= 300 OR offsetz <=-300 then return end

Into tool left click.

Edited:

Also Mr Troll, I fixed 3 crash exploits today. Although I'll be honest they where stupidly stupid and shouldn't have worked on the server in the first place.

Oh, shut up. Why can't you appreciate that someone brought it to your attention.

ByB servers are shit now anyway last time I checked. constant lag and crashes, paid admins, and the ones that dont pay are just plain shitty admins period.

I think you have a lot more to worry about than someone telling you how to fix something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    July 2008
    2,201 Posts
    Uh I'd thank the person that came on to my server and told me there was a critical exploit and how to fix it but that's just me.

Edited:

Oh, shut up. Why can't you appreciate that someone brought it to your attention.

ByB servers are shit now anyway last time I checked. constant lag and crashes, paid admins, and the ones that dont pay are just plain shitty admins period.

I think you have a lot more to worry about than someone telling you how to fix something
    And yet I'm the one posting productively inside this thread, instead of trying to bring up the same old repeated shit stirring to try and destroy a decent thread? Hope you're proud of yourself.

Also, I know this is widely known and fixed in most gamemodes. A lot of these tools are used on other servers (As in, not DarkRP servers), so you might want to mention the removing constraints before a prop breaks.
    I'll just dump Falcos hook below.

hook.Add("PropBreak", "drp_AntiExploit", function(attacker, ent)
    	if IsValid(ent) and ent:GetPhysicsObject():IsValid() then
    		constraint.RemoveAll(ent)
    	end
    end)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Pedobear Escape 2
    December 2010
    341 Posts
    And yet I'm the one posting productively inside this thread, instead of trying to bring up the same old repeated shit stirring to try and destroy a decent thread? Hope you're proud of yourself.

Also, I know this is widely known and fixed in most gamemodes. A lot of these tools are used on other servers (As in, not DarkRP servers), so you might want to mention the removing constraints before a prop breaks.
    I'll just dump Falcos hook below.

hook.Add("PropBreak", "drp_AntiExploit", function(attacker, ent)
    	if IsValid(ent) and ent:GetPhysicsObject():IsValid() then
    		constraint.RemoveAll(ent)
    	end
    end)

I believe he was referring to the false accusations of me spamming your server because I fixed some exploits. However, enough with the bashing from both of you, it is not productive no matter who it is coming from.

The previous hook is in the workarounds lua for darkrp if I am not mistaken. If we find a gamemode where that exploit is a problem it's better off having the gamemode developer fix it then server owners. There's fewer gamemode's with building and constraints then servers.

With that said if anyone does know of a gamemode exploitable in that way, making it know would help to get the developer to patch it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member

November 2012
    327 Posts
    I believe he was referring to the false accusations of me spamming your server because I fixed some exploits. However, enough with the bashing from both of you, it is not productive no matter who it is coming from.

The previous hook is in the workarounds lua for darkrp if I am not mistaken. If we find a gamemode where that exploit is a problem it's better off having the gamemode developer fix it then server owners. There's fewer gamemode's with building and constraints then servers.

With that said if anyone does know of a gamemode exploitable in that way, making it know would help to get the developer to patch it.
    Using your precision fix v2, if you "move" an entity, it crashes the server. Not sure what you broke.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    July 2008
    2,201 Posts

My point was a lot of non DarkRP servers use these type of stools and these exploits work on them, like sandbox for example. I wasn't aware your exploit fixes where just aimed at DarkRP servers.

Although I'm surprised this exploit fix wasn't done by Garry in the GM13 updates.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    Pedobear Escape 2
    December 2010
    341 Posts
    Using your precision fix v2, if you "move" an entity, it crashes the server. Not sure what you broke.
    I just retested it on weapons, vehicles and random entities. Could you give me some more details about what you did to cause the crash?

My point was a lot of non DarkRP servers use these type of stools and these exploits work on them, like sandbox for example. I wasn't aware your exploit fixes where just aimed at DarkRP servers.

Although I'm surprised this exploit fix wasn't done by Garry in the GM13 updates.
    The fixes for these tools is not related directly to darkrp, these fixes work though all the gamemodes and don't have any conditional statement checking for the gamemode.

The exploits fixed here are issues with mods made by developers other then garry, garry wouldn't and shouldn't have to fix the problems with them. As it is now none of the vanilla gmod stuff has a problem with these types of issues. The developers simply need to be made aware of issues with their stools so they might fix them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #24

The exploit wasn't fixed with the gmod 13 update, most likely because most don't think of certain "what if" problems like this. And you know DarkRp is literally sandbox, just in a different form. So any exploit on sandbox would be an exploit on darkrp, and visa versa. Same goes for fixes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member

November 2012
    327 Posts
    I just retested it on weapons, vehicles and random entities. Could you give me some more details about what you did to cause the crash?

The fixes for these tools is not related directly to darkrp, these fixes work though all the gamemodes and don't have any conditional statement checking for the gamemode.

The exploits fixed here are issues with mods made by developers other then garry, garry wouldn't and shouldn't have to fix the problems with them. As it is now none of the vanilla gmod stuff has a problem with these types of issues. The developers simply need to be made aware of issues with their stools so they might fix them.
    Simply, spawn a prop, -> precision tool, -> move mode, click prop, move it a few inches, crash. Every time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member

November 2012
    327 Posts
    Fixed the crashing bug with the Move tool.
    http://www.filedropper.com/precision

or you can wait for faceguy to release his version fix.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Divinity Roleplay
    August 2011
    518 Posts
    Fixed the crashing bug with the Move tool.
    http://www.filedropper.com/precision

or you can wait for faceguy to release his version fix.
    Sorry for my laziness and not wanting to compare side by side the original and yours, what exactly was causing the crash?

And that will be useful for a lot of people, thanks, Lerpaderp.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member

November 2012
    327 Posts
    Sorry for my laziness and not wanting to compare side by side the original and yours, what exactly was causing the crash?

And that will be useful for a lot of people, thanks, Lerpaderp.
    There's about 6 rotations in there where it checks it, they left one out (which happens to be for the move tool) and it wasn't being checked if it was 0 or not.

29. Post #29
    Best VPN

May 2011
    49 Posts
    not only did I fix this on my server almost 9 days ago, I also did it in less code.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    899 Posts
    not only did I fix this on my server almost 9 days ago, I also did it in less code.
    Either post the fix or nobody's gonna care.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    April 2011
    26 Posts
    Not exactly on topic with the OP, but thought I would post anyway. (Since it has to do with an "exploit")

Anybody have a script that stops prop collision spam? FPP helps a bit, but can easily get around the anti-spam (Even with strict settings)

I'm talking about something like this:

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=932953

or

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1114486

Those probably still work, but there might be a better way now in GMod 13 or something. (Since that was posted more than a year ago)

32. Post #32
    January 2013
    71 Posts
    Well, the fun had to end sometime..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

33. Post #33
    Divinity Roleplay
    August 2011
    518 Posts
    Not exactly on topic with the OP, but thought I would post anyway. (Since it has to do with an "exploit")

Anybody have a script that stops prop collision spam? FPP helps a bit, but can easily get around the anti-spam (Even with strict settings)

I'm talking about something like this:

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=932953

or

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1114486

Those probably still work, but there might be a better way now in GMod 13 or something. (Since that was posted more than a year ago)
    Small shitty fix, set the collision group when the prop is spawned, and unghost it, when they physgun?

34. Post #34
    July 2008
    2,201 Posts
    Relative bump, but add this to the SetBounds() function

local rotation = self:GetClientNumber( "rotation")
       if rotation <= 0 then RunConsoleCommand("precision_rotation", 0.02) end
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    December 2011
    1,137 Posts
    Relative bump, but add this to the SetBounds() function

local rotation = self:GetClientNumber( "rotation")
       if rotation <= 0 then RunConsoleCommand("precision_rotation", 0.02) end
    I hope you check that serverside, or else someone could use the command?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    April 2010
    79 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 2 (list)