1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,343 Posts

(map has yet to be updated)

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa...220731532.html

French-led Malian troops have recaptured the al-Qaeda-linked rebel stronghold of Gao, the biggest town in northern Mali, and troops from Niger and Chad "will now take up the baton," the French defence ministry said.

A statement said the town's mayor Sadou Diallo would arrive in Gao from the capital Bamako later Saturday.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 18 (list)

2. Post #2
    January 2013
    286 Posts
    Man, those are so difficult to pronounce names.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    2,382 Posts
    The military campaign is supposed to take weeks, I hope the French don't get bogged down.

4. Post #4
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    I'm gonna be honest, I was expecting things to take a lot longer than they have. This bodes pretty well, might not be as difficult as everyone first though.

5. Post #5
    I fought the bet and the bet won.
    October 2012
    8,754 Posts
    Great that African countries are chipping in to help out fellow African countries.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    23,359 Posts
    Goundam sounds like it has giant mecha defending it

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,091 Posts
    I almost feel bad for the MNLA. Their entire war for independence was hijacked by the Ansar Dine, who betrayed them.
    Now the Ansar Dine are trying to take over the entire country, and any credibility the MNLA had was completely lost.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    June 2009
    439 Posts

9. Post #9
    Facepunch armorer
    February 2010
    3,978 Posts
    I almost feel bad for the MNLA. Their entire war for independence was hijacked by the Ansar Dine, who betrayed them.
    Now the Ansar Dine are trying to take over the entire country, and any credibility the MNLA had was completely lost.
    The MNLA has allied itself back with the government. Its come full circle

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,091 Posts
    The MNLA has allied itself back with the government. Its come full circle
    Only out of desperation. Clearly they would have preferred their independence were it possible.

I'd imagine they're also likely to face punishment once the conflict ends.