1. Post #1
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,101 Posts
    Gamemode is now open source if people want to contribute or test what we have so far: https://github.com/finalfrontier/finalfrontier

THE GAMEMODE IS NOT IN A PLAYABLE STATE, AND SHOULD BE CONSIDERED PRE-ALPHA

Edited:

Waiting for Jon to wake up and design a nice looking thread so have a fictional Q&A for now:

Q: If you were to arrange some words and maybe some punctuation into a paragraph or two to describe this thing what would it look like?

A: Final Frontier is our attempt to make a unique and novel Garry's Mod gamemode centred around the teamwork involved in controlling and maintaining a starship doing space things. Each individual on a ship should be allocated to one or more of the tasks required to keep the ship running, and in times of battle to assist the war effort as best they can. There is no strict job / roll system in the game, players should decide where they would be of most use. The players are also not divided into discrete teams, in fact anyone may defect to another ship or mutiny at any time, so crews should be wary of moral and look out for traitorous crewmen.

The main gameplay will probably be PvP ship on ship battles, featuring boarding and looting the losing vessel at the culmination of the conflict. If we are able to, we would like to implement a simple randomised quest system (like ship this cargo to sector X-Y, or kill this player on an enemy vessel for a reward). We will also try and implement automated but unboardable vessels for filler combat for when a server is underpopulated or if the various player ships want to play cooperatively.

Q: Isn't this like a multiplayer FTL: Faster Than Light?

A: This game is (heavily (blatantly)) inspired by FTL, a game we all enjoyed playing but felt would be improved with multiplayer. Unlike FTL, you control a single crewmember in first-person perspective, and must manually perform the tasks that FTL characters carried out by standing at their posts mashing keyboards. How well you perform your job is entirely dependant on the skill of the player at that task; there will be no in-game skills to grind that make a progress bar move faster, rather the efficiency at which actions are performed depend on the experience of the player in deciding how to carry out the activity.

Q: What tasks will there be in a ship?

A: Each room in the ship may contain a system, which governs some aspect of the ship as a whole. The planned systems are:

* Life Support (Implemented)
    * Shield Control (Implemented)
    * Door Control (Implemented)
    * Reactor Control (Implemented)
    * Sensors (Mostly Implemented)
    * Piloting (Implemented)
    * Transporter (Implemented)
    * Engineering (Implemented)
    * Weapons
    * Medical Bay

Systems are controlled through terminals, which are interfaced through an in-game cursor (think Doom 3). This means other players can see what you are doing, and there are no annoying GUI windows popping up on your screen.

Q: What will the ships be like?

A: We hope to have a few varieties of ships with different sizes, layouts and themes. At the moment (for testing purposes) we just have two ships that have different paint jobs. We might look for a mapper to help with the other ships, as neither of us are any good at Hammer. We won't look for outside help until everything else is done though.

Q: Long term plans?

A: To be honest we are only prototyping the project in Garry's Mod, and if we manage to finish it we hope to port it to a more flexible environment.

Q: Can I try it?

A: Until the main gameplay elements are implemented, we are only testing internally. A public server will probably be set up for testing after that.

Q: I am illiterate and therefore unable to read any of the previous questions / answers. Can you ignore my surprising ability to type this question, and gimme screen shots and videos?

Video 1: Introduction and system overview

Video 2: Console walkthrough

Video 3: Life Support

Video 4: Transporter

Video 5: Reactor

Video 6: Room Modules
    [HR][/HR]

Video 7: Engineering

Video 8: Q&A Part 1

Video 9: Q&A Part 2

If you have any questions, feel free to ask; I'll add any major ones to this post.

Thanks for reading, wish us luck in finishing this project!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Winner x 105Lua King x 22Lua Helper x 3Agree x 3Informative x 2Dumb x 1Zing x 1Funny x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    July 2009
    568 Posts
    Looking good!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,846 Posts
    ohmygod yes. Multiplayer FTL.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

4. Post #4
    Dennab
    November 2011
    362 Posts
    I've been following the project since you first posted it on the WAYWO. It's coming along great!
    Bookmarked the page and I look forward to future updates; You're a credit to coders 'round.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Lua Helper Lua Helper x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    October 2008
    454 Posts
    This is just amazing. You have done a very nice job I think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6

January 2012
    69 Posts
    Gotta love the moonwalk in the second video!!!!

7. Post #7
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,101 Posts

Transporter room is mostly working, just need to integrate it with the power system.

8. Post #8
    March 2011
    56 Posts
    When I looked at the thread name, wild thought appeared "whaddafuk, is Frontier being developed again?" (You know, the dead, SB-like gamemode with animated LS entities etc. etc.). But when my eyes saw the contents, I was like "OMGOMGOMGMOG FTL IN GMOD YEAHHHHHH". So, keep up the great work and don't abandon it like Frontier or Horizon :D
    Also, it would be really awesome if final version would include every single mechanism from FTL - breaches, fires, drones, name it. It doesn't exactly has to be FTL-style though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #9

May 2010
    1,127 Posts
    if this is only a proof of concept thing are you going to release it? it looks like it'd be sweet to get together 6 or so friends and play it together

10. Post #10
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,101 Posts
    if this is only a proof of concept thing are you going to release it? it looks like it'd be sweet to get together 6 or so friends and play it together
    We're prototyping it in GMod but if we manage to finish it without any major roadblocks then we'll release it. While we are testing we'll probably just have a private server, but then release the gamemode after that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,101 Posts

Piloting is functional enough for now. You can also right-click to head in a direction without stopping.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 5Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,101 Posts
    New video in the OP showing life support.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    A living example of an OCD programmer
    June 2009
    3,746 Posts
    Abbandon the ship, abbandon the ship

14. Post #14
    May 2013
    139 Posts
    Looks great!

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    75 Posts
    cant wait for this

16. Post #16
    November 2007
    3 Posts
    WHEN IS ETA? I WANT TO STAR TREK

17. Post #17
    My Scriptz
    December 2009
    1,111 Posts
    Very nice!
    Also, my OCD says change the KW to MW or like 134.19Kw
    as 1.34Kw is like... less then the power of a hairdryer

18. Post #18
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,101 Posts
    Very nice!
    Also, my OCD says change the KW to MW or like 134.19Kw
    as 1.34Kw is like... less then the power of a hairdryer
    Uh... in the future everything is really efficient. Yeah. Nah you're right, I'll fix that.

Edited:

WHEN IS ETA? I WANT TO STAR TREK
    My plan is to have it playable within 3 months from now. Don't nobody quote this or I'll be mad.

Edited:

Only got the weapons and medical systems left to do, but then there's adding extra content apart from PvP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    March 2011
    56 Posts
    Whoa, I was thinking I'll won't play Final Frontier this year probably... Then a surprise appears. Hope nothing gets in your way, and you'll finish it when planned/when it's most comfortable for you. Cheers!

20. Post #20
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,101 Posts
    I've got some more free time, so back to work. Jon just designed some icons:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Winner Winner x 4Lua King Lua King x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    September 2010
    492 Posts
    looks like FLT
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Late Late x 3 (list)

22. Post #22
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,101 Posts
    New vid in OP of transporter room.

23. Post #23
    April 2011
    2,133 Posts
    Okay, this is the best thing i've seen this week, i don't know why but i have a fetish for gamemodes/games with such consoles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,035 Posts
    Saw a small tech demo at Durham uni. It's looking pretty awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    This gamemode looks amazing. I can't wait to see it in full action in multiplayer. One question though, If it were to be put on a multiplayer server with say 32 slots, what would be the maximum amount of ships and how would players go about acquiring one without being blown to sh**.

26. Post #26
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,101 Posts
    Saw a small tech demo at Durham uni. It's looking pretty awesome.
    You are now contractually obliged to apply to Durham.

This gamemode looks amazing. I can't wait to see it in full action in multiplayer. One question though, If it were to be put on a multiplayer server with say 32 slots, what would be the maximum amount of ships and how would players go about acquiring one without being blown to sh**.
    We're hoping to have quite a few ships in the default map with different layouts / styles etc. If you run your own server, you can use your own map with as many ships as you like.

The way new players join ships is a little fuzzy at the moment, but what we will probably have is a space dock or something that players spawn in, where ships spawn at when the game starts / they get blown up / left idle for too long. If no ships are at the dock, you'll be able to hail other ships to request a position in their crew. I'm aware that this has some problems, like if everyone rejects your hail, so hopefully we'll think of something better later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    I'd be interested in hosting a 32 slot official server for this if you would allow it. I'd give you guys full access to the server files etc so you can actively develop it. Plus you will be able to use our forums or I may be able to procure a new one specifically for this gamemode.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Also just to bump the thread up abit, how do you plan on a ships weapons damaging an enemy ship?

Will it be different types of weapons like FTL where missiles have more chance of breaching the hull thus draining oxygen as opposed to laser weapons whire are more likely to heat up the room and damage its components? Or will we be expecting an alternative to this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Dennab
    June 2013
    53 Posts
    That ship console looks really bad tbh

I mean coding wise it seems great but I think your could make it look better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    April 2011
    2,133 Posts
    That ship console looks really bad tbh

I mean coding wise it seems great but I think your could make it look better.
    It's nice and organized, what do you want, pretty flowers on it?
    You're not geeky enough for it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Croatia Show Events Zing Zing x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Dennab
    June 2013
    53 Posts
    It's nice and organized, what do you want, pretty flowers on it?
    You're not geeky enough for it!
    Maybe I should have worded that differently.

I think since the gamemode takes such a heavy influence from FTL, that the console should resemble something from FTL. I can see in places where it does, but I'm not getting that FTL feel from it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    May 2013
    232 Posts
    Awesome, awesome, awesome,

Multiplayer Co-op at it's finest!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

33. Post #33
    Maybe I should have worded that differently.

I think since the gamemode takes such a heavy influence from FTL, that the console should resemble something from FTL. I can see in places where it does, but I'm not getting that FTL feel from it.
    I kind of get what you mean. How this looks more like a modern day space ship console (Like a touch screen tablet) and its housing is a full steel block. This kind of suits the gamemode as its more original than copying directly from FTL and it does look nice and is coded well.

However, judging from this image of a FTL ship layout, the consoles do take on different sizes and shapes and have wall mounted additions (Like in HL2). But hey, its your gamemode so make it how you like it :)

EDIT: Also another thing that sprung to mind from that image. Airlocks! :D

34. Post #34

June 2013
    8 Posts
    It's funny, because the consoles, to me, kind of look something from Star Trek: The Next Generation. anyone else get that? I like them, anyway. They look functional.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,101 Posts
    Also just to bump the thread up abit, how do you plan on a ships weapons damaging an enemy ship?

Will it be different types of weapons like FTL where missiles have more chance of breaching the hull thus draining oxygen as opposed to laser weapons whire are more likely to heat up the room and damage its components? Or will we be expecting an alternative to this?
    We'll have a video up soon describing how damaging rooms works, but basically it is similar to FTL in that you can target specific rooms.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,070 Posts
    I do hope for something like explosive decompression between rooms without enough oxygen or when there are hull breaches.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    3,300 Posts
    I've got a few questions:

1. Have you got any plans for any kind of trading system? Buying things from merchants or other ships and selling them for profit seems like it would be fun. Especially if you had to store the cargo around the ship in crates and boxes so it could be nicked by invaders.

2. What are the purpose the hatches that were on the ground in the teleporter video?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    I've got a few questions:

1. Have you got any plans for any kind of trading system? Buying things from merchants or other ships and selling them for profit seems like it would be fun. Especially if you had to store the cargo around the ship in crates and boxes so it could be nicked by invaders.

2. What are the purpose the hatches that were on the ground in the teleporter video?
    Also I agree with your idea of having resources stored around the ship to be stolen or traded.

I have no actual idea but I think those metal things on the ground were just the teleporter pads that you stand on to be teleported. (Think of star trek).

Also in other news:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...%3A+Steam+RSS)

You got reviewed by RPS!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    (User was banned for this post ("Reaction image"))
    September 2011
    4,705 Posts
    Jesus christ this looks fantastic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    May 2008
    4,753 Posts
    Maybe being able to sap power (either for your own power systems, or just to mess with them).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)