1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,579 Posts
    Study finds the Simpsons has encouraged gay men to 'come out' with its sympathetic attitude to same sex couples

The Cologne-based librarian has spent years analysing nearly 500 gay scenes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...x-couples.html
    http://www.thelocal.de/national/20130630-50603.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Optimistic x 67Friendly x 12Funny x 11Dumb x 8Winner x 5Useful x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    I thought the show got really irrelevant long ago but... the more I hear about open gays being open gays, the better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 52Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    3,983 Posts
    -snip-

4. Post #4
    I stopped watching the simpsons awhile ago (they became mediocre) but I always remember positive attitudes about gay characters on the show, humorous stereotypes notwithstanding.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 75 (list)

5. Post #5
    February 2010
    7,915 Posts
    The Cologne-based librarian has spent years analysing nearly 500 gay scenes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Canada Show Events Funny x 95Agree x 5Winner x 2Optimistic x 1Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,569 Posts
    No matter what, the Simpsons will always be relevant to me. I still enjoy the show, even if it may not be as 'good' as it used to be. It's still better than Family guy anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 55Disagree Disagree x 9Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,029 Posts
    No matter what, the Simpsons will always be relevant to me. I still enjoy the show, even if it may not be as 'good' as it used to be. It's still better than Family guy anyway.
    Both shows have gone on too long, in my opinion. Family Guy really lost its luster between seasons 6 and 7 I'd say, and they're on 11 now. I know Seth MacFarlane wanted to end the show a while back but Fox wouldn't let him; maybe it's the same for The Simpsons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 27Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    June 2010
    4,753 Posts
    Granted, that's not a very difficult task.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 22Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,451 Posts
    Didn't they already do this before?

I recall an episode where one of the characters gets gay marriage in Springfield legalized so Selma can marry her new lover.

Not to say that this is pointless (Really, more shows should try to follow suit.), it's just I'm instantly reminded of another episode.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Arab Emirates Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

10. Post #10
    You're saying you like dos more than me, right?
    April 2011
    4,667 Posts

I recall an episode where one of the characters gets gay marriage in Springfield legalized so Selma can marry her new lover.

Not to say that this is pointless (Really, more shows should try to follow suit.), it's just I'm instantly reminded of another episode.
    so the simpsons did it before the simpsons
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 50Zing Zing x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,335 Posts
    I still watch their treehouse of horror every year
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,579 Posts

They aren't referring to one particular episode, the article even mentions the one you're talking about:

In the 2005 episode, the town of Springfield legalises gay marriage in a bid to ramp up tourism and Homer - seeing it as an opportunity to make some extra money - performs several gay marriages. Even his sister-in-law Patty Bouvier turns up to marry her girlfriend.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 India Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    June 2013
    542 Posts
    Come on, people. Family Guy's early episodes were fucking great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20Disagree Disagree x 16Late Late x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Yeah, but as for their more recent episodes, I feel they drag shit out too much...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

15. Post #15

January 2012
    283 Posts
    Yeah, but as for their more recent episodes, I feel they drag shit out too much...
    I agree, Family Guy for me started to decline around seasons 4 or 5 and seriously went down the crapper around seasons 6 or 7. All the characters have been flanderized to hell: Peter being forcibly stupid, Meg just being the punching bag, Stewie being forcibly gay and almost literally explaining every joke he's in on, Quagmire having an intense hatred for Brian and just generally an unlikable douche now, Brian being a stereotypical liberal douche, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

16. Post #16
    September 2011
    798 Posts
    I agree, Family Guy for me started to decline around seasons 4 or 5 and seriously went down the crapper around seasons 6 or 7. All the characters have been flanderized to hell: Peter being forcibly stupid, Meg just being the punching bag, Stewie being forcibly gay and almost literally explaining every joke he's in on, Quagmire having an intense hatred for Brian and just generally an unlikable douche now, Brian being a stereotypical liberal douche, etc.
    Since when did Quagmire hate Brian?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,579 Posts
    There was a whole episode on it, Brain stole his girlfriend or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 India Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

18. Post #18
    itty bitty silly pretty little pony
    September 2011
    7,021 Posts
    I've analysed plenty of gay scenes but you don't see me bragging
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 25Optimistic Optimistic x 3Winner Winner x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    11,608 Posts
    he fucked his dad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18Funny Funny x 3Informative Informative x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    March 2007
    418 Posts
    i want my simpsons episodes to be silly, ridiculous and unrelated to cultural and political issues.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    October 2007
    1,170 Posts

I think The Simpsons permanently influenced my views ever since I was a child.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Mexico Show Events Funny Funny x 28Optimistic Optimistic x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    41,826 Posts

I think The Simpsons permanently influenced my views ever since I was a child.
    I immediately thought of the steel mill as well

Old Simpsons was the best
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

23. Post #23
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    13,957 Posts
    Both shows have gone on too long, in my opinion. Family Guy really lost its luster between seasons 6 and 7 I'd say, and they're on 11 now. I know Seth MacFarlane wanted to end the show a while back but Fox wouldn't let him; maybe it's the same for The Simpsons.
    Yeah, Seth felt the show should have ended about five years ago and that it was being drug on for too long.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,998 Posts
    i want my simpsons episodes to be silly, ridiculous and unrelated to cultural and political issues.
    it was good when they just had them as a little aside joke because they didn't try too hard, so it was subtle and funny. now their idea of staying relevant is to just reference shitty memes every twelve seconds and hope that's enough
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,825 Posts
    Yeah, Seth felt the show should have ended about five years ago and that it was being drug on for too long.
    The irony is it was cancelled after its first season when it first aired and was only brought back due to DVD sales.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

26. Post #26
    March 2007
    418 Posts
    it was good when they just had them as a little aside joke because they didn't try too hard, so it was subtle and funny. now their idea of staying relevant is to just reference shitty memes every twelve seconds and hope that's enough
    thats a better way of explaining it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    July 2011
    84 Posts
    stupid sexy flanders.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 12Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28

January 2012
    283 Posts
    There was a whole episode on it, Brain stole his girlfriend or something
    Actually it was earlier then that. It was the Season 8 episode "Jerome is the New Black".

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    zzzzzaaaap
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    9,369 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    that was amazing

I need to watch it on netflix until it gets boring. The more recent South park had that happen to it, it lost its beauty and points while still being 'alright'.

32. Post #32
    Oh no, what have I done!
    November 2007
    21,764 Posts
    Y'know. I'd rather have the Simpsons drag on too long and become a bit stale than end when it was still good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Agree Agree x 4 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    9,369 Posts
    Y'know. I'd rather have the Simpsons drag on too long and become a bit stale than end when it was still good.
    "A bit stale" is putting it lightly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    14,629 Posts
    Simpsons might have dragged on, but at least it doesn't have that feeling of an almost cynical level of laziness from Family Guy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,671 Posts
    stupid sexy flanders.
    Feels like i'm wearing... nothin' at all

nothin' at all

nothin' at all

nothin' at all
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 25 (list)

36. Post #36
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,166 Posts
    not really tbh. Have you recently seen that old Y2K episode where the world is nuked and they go find the twinkie factory? That shit was so genuinely unfunny and cringe worthy, such as the E.T. scene

Edited:

it aired in late 1999 I believe
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    August 2009
    222 Posts
    South park, Family Guy and The Simpsons are all kind of mediocre now.. American dad is funny for the moment, but the best of those kind of series was Futurama, never got old and it was funny as hell! Shame its getting canceled..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gratuitous Penis Exposure Moderator
    September 2005
    4,229 Posts
    I actually like Family Guy just because it's stupid and easy to watch with anyone.
    Though the latest seasons are all filled with dragged out jokes and lame references no one outside the states get.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

39. Post #39
    8==== ===== ===== ===== ===D
    Dennab
    April 2008
    4,831 Posts
    not really tbh. Have you recently seen that old Y2K episode where the world is nuked and they go find the twinkie factory? That shit was so genuinely unfunny and cringe worthy, such as the E.T. scene

Edited:

it aired in late 1999 I believe
    um i dont know what you find funny but that episode was pretty good..??

40. Post #40
    July 2011
    907 Posts
    The real tragedy is that these series are still going on while Futurama is on its final season.
    RIP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)