1. Post #1
    CISC MASTER RACE.
    January 2008
    5,333 Posts

Over the past several years, TELUS has invested millions, if not billions of dollars into enhancing their HSPA+ and LTE networks, and doesn’t even list the now-outdated CDMA network on its coverage map. And now they’re set to to begin shutting it down.

According to an internal doc we received, “CDMA technology is reaching the end of its service life,” and TELUS will start a “CDMA Migration Campaign” to transfer customers off this old technology. March 31, 2014 is when “TELUS will be discontinuing EVDO data service on the CDMA network in all of BC and AB (excluding Edmonton and Calgary).” There’s no indication of how many wireless customers are still using CDMA devices, but “to ensure their service is not disrupted,” TELUS will be sending a letter to them offering an upgrade to a 4G HSPA+ compatible device.
    **SOURCE**

Although a “relatively large piece” of Telus’s more than 7 million wireless subscribers still uses old-fashioned CDMA cellphones, that number is expected to tumble fairly quickly as customers take advantage of upgrade opportunities.

“There are certain people that will just not give up what they’ve got. They’ve had it for a long time and they like it, they’ve got all their accessories. For whatever reason, they don’t want to give up their CDMA phone,” said Mr. Gossling.
    **SOURCE**

I'm fucking pissed. I love my StarTAC. No bullshit, no performance issues and just about unbreakable not to mention I have enough spare parts to keep it alive for another decade. My parents just got an iPhone 3g as well.
    Suddenly BOTH of our phones are unuseable. Telus is offering free replacements. Either the LG A341 or the Huawei Y210. Both are about the shittiest phones you can get. I can understand shutting down AMPS but CDMA is still very much relied on up north where the newer services have far shittier reception. Hell, we still have UHF/VHF broadcasting in my area because DTV won't work and about an hour west you can't even get satellite phone reception.

Edited:

Dammit. Because certain characters completely break the edit box, here's the URL for the second source.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle14407069/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 16Winner Winner x 8Funny Funny x 3 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,718 Posts
    Hell, we still have UHF/VHF broadcasting in my area because DTV won't work and about an hour west you can't even get satellite phone reception.
    Don't be dissing rabbit ears, they're fucking amazing, free HDTV, and you can build your own antenna out of coat hangers, a 2x4, and the connection wire, and get far better reception then anything you can get in a store
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    haha oh boy here we go again
    November 2011
    569 Posts
    I don't really get this. The GSM 3G standard (UTMS) is technically older and yet is all you can get here in most of the US. Even the original CDMA is much newer than GSM 2G, which I still catch in some rural areas.

Although on the other hand, they won't be shutting it down for another 2 years, and in that time it's likely they will be able to upgrade most (if not all?) of the towers. At least it gives a good incentive to do so, kind of like how nobody really wanted to invest in IPv6 until we were warned that IPv4 is going to run dry soon.

4. Post #4
    August 2011
    126 Posts
    Pentium, I seriously think it's time to upgrade your phone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Funny Funny x 3 (list)

5. Post #5
    CISC MASTER RACE.
    January 2008
    5,333 Posts
    Pentium, I seriously think it's time to upgrade your phone
    No god dammit, I like that phone!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 11Dumb Dumb x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    August 2011
    126 Posts
    When I saw it the darn thing was soooooo slow. You can't stream media on it. At least not easily.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,432 Posts
    I hope you at least have one of the ones that can send text messages.

8. Post #8
    October 2011
    2,585 Posts
    Does this mean the end for my nokia 3310 .

9. Post #9
    oh shit, it really says i payed 10.00. Im so fucked. im crying. we are gonna be poor.
    April 2005
    9,655 Posts
    Oh god, I remember the horror in rural areas when Telstra (Australia's larger mobile provider) shut off it's CDMA network (in 2008), which was being used in rural areas. The amount of bitching and complaining, despite UTMS doing better in the rural areas because of the much lower frequency band it was operating on, was astronomical.

Why are you pissed that they're shutting down? The technology is slow, outdated, and the spectrum could be better used for other technologies. And also, lol you're trolling about the StarTAC right? I swear I used that phone back in the DigiAMPS days.

10. Post #10
    Cmx
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,440 Posts
    Why are you pissed that they're shutting down?
    Generally when people have things they like and works fine for them, they dont want to change.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,731 Posts
    Would be pretty great if the US did the same, there's no advantage for the end customer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    CISC MASTER RACE.
    January 2008
    5,333 Posts
    Why are you pissed that they're shutting down? The technology is slow, outdated, and the spectrum could be better used for other technologies. And also, lol you're trolling about the StarTAC right? I swear I used that phone back in the DigiAMPS days.
    Up until VERY very recently, all of Telus' phones were CDMA. The shutdown so soon after the switch to SIM based phones means that very few phones will actually survive the switch and everyone else will be forced to either upgrade or pay to break from their contract and go to someone else.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,473 Posts
    CDMA really isn't found anywhere other than North America AFIAK, GSM is basically the world standard. CMDA only really works because of Verizon being so far invested in it while T-Mobile and AT&T are expanding further than Verizon and Sprint has thus far despite just starting recently.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    ''just wondering''
    December 2008
    2,864 Posts
    Would be pretty great if the US did the same, there's no advantage for the end customer
    It's slowly coming for Verizon. They're planning on dropping CDMA from all their phones in 2014 and switching to just LTE for voice, text and data instead of just data.

Edited:

You still have Sprint, and all the other smaller carriers based off their network like MetroPCS though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    oh shit, it really says i payed 10.00. Im so fucked. im crying. we are gonna be poor.
    April 2005
    9,655 Posts
    Up until VERY very recently, all of Telus' phones were CDMA. The shutdown so soon after the switch to SIM based phones means that very few phones will actually survive the switch and everyone else will be forced to either upgrade or pay to break from their contract and go to someone else.
    That's pretty silly. Sounds like a poor business decision. I can understand if people have only signed contracts in the last year or so for their CDMA service.

Telstra gave something like 3-4 years notice that the CDMA network was to be shut down, and kept offering new phones and discounts off peoples contracts to switch over to the newer UTMS network. Eventually the last few thousands were forced off with compensation, but this all took a long long time.

16. Post #16
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,151 Posts
    It's slowly coming for Verizon. They're planning on dropping CDMA from all their phones in 2014 and switching to just LTE for voice, text and data instead of just data.

Edited:

You still have Sprint, and all the other smaller carriers based off their network like MetroPCS though.
    That's going to suck for my sister and mom. They both have the iPhone 4S which doesn't support LTE on Verizon. They won't have a choice.

Makes me wonder though, do all Verizon LTE phones have VoLTE capabilities already? Is the only thing that Verizon has to do is enable it for the network? It seems like they are realistically very close to being able to deploy it, since I very rarely ever fall back to CDMA on my Galaxy Nexus, even in rural areas, and when I do, I have such a poor signal that 3G is barely usable.

17. Post #17
    ''just wondering''
    December 2008
    2,864 Posts
    That's going to suck for my sister and mom. They both have the iPhone 4S which doesn't support LTE on Verizon. They won't have a choice.

Makes me wonder though, do all Verizon LTE phones have VoLTE capabilities already? Is the only thing that Verizon has to do is enable it for the network? It seems like they are realistically very close to being able to deploy it, since I very rarely ever fall back to CDMA on my Galaxy Nexus, even in rural areas, and when I do, I have such a poor signal that 3G is barely usable.
    No they should be fine Verizon will keep the CDMA network running for years after they switch to all LTE phones for all the phones that don't have VoLTE or any LTE capabilities in them.

I'm hoping they increase their coverage near my house, on their coverage map I'm 50 ft from being in a LTE area vs an "extended" LTE area, I only get 1 bar (3g) on my phone usually, not even enough to send a damn text.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    I can't think of a good title.
    May 2010
    16,835 Posts
    Pentium, was it you or Mips that was still running Windows 2000/2002?

19. Post #19
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    8,151 Posts
    Pentium, was it you or Mips that was still running Windows 2000/2002?
    Pentium and MIPS are the same person.

Looks like he's running XP as of now. Wouldn't shock me if he was using 2000 (and probably does on one of his machines).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

20. Post #20
    I can't think of a good title.
    May 2010
    16,835 Posts
    Pentium and MIPS are the same person.
    Hmm. I thought it was just another guy mocking MIPS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

21. Post #21
    CISC MASTER RACE.
    January 2008
    5,333 Posts
    Hmm. I thought it was just another guy mocking MIPS.
    What if I just have multiple personalities?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

22. Post #22
    I like to constantly remind everyone that I do illegal drugs. I squeeze it into all posts.
    Dennab
    October 2006
    4,044 Posts
    Meanwhile I'm in Michigan with a 4g phone stuck on EDGE networks that can't even stream a YouTube video. I pay good money for pretty much unusable internet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    i love everyone
    Dennab
    December 2010
    3,351 Posts
    Meanwhile I'm in Michigan with a 4g phone stuck on EDGE networks that can't even stream a YouTube video. I pay good money for pretty much unusable internet.
    That's cool, dude. I have a 4G LTE iPhone 5S that I get maximum reception everywhere I want and anywhere I want AND I get to stream and watch everything I want when I want. It's pretty radical!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    3,002 Posts
    CDMA really isn't found anywhere other than North America AFIAK, GSM is basically the world standard. CMDA only really works because of Verizon being so far invested in it while T-Mobile and AT&T are expanding further than Verizon and Sprint has thus far despite just starting recently.
    CDMA still functions sort of in pakistan.

Pentium come to pakistan i promise you wont get blown up

25. Post #25
    CRAP AT GEOGRAPHY
    Dennab
    June 2005
    6,789 Posts
    Sucks that LTE is a GSM technology otherwise CDMA would have taken off. It's a superior network backbone but because it's got compatibility issues with the older networks no one wants it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,525 Posts
    Sucks that LTE is a GSM technology otherwise CDMA would have taken off. It's a superior network backbone but because it's got compatibility issues with the older networks no one wants it.
    And it's awful for consumers because ESNs for identification and very little common frequencies make it difficult to bring a phone from carrier to carrier. I don't know a single CDMA carrier anywhere who was able to have foreign ESNs work on their network. I'm sure Bell will follow suit, since the last real CDMA device we sold was the Palm Pre and all of those things should have gotten broken oreo twist sliders or died by now.

Edited:

I'm fucking pissed. I love my StarTAC. No bullshit, no performance issues and just about unbreakable not to mention I have enough spare parts to keep it alive for another decade. My parents just got an iPhone 3g as well.
    Suddenly BOTH of our phones are unuseable. Telus is offering free replacements. Either the LG A341 or the Huawei Y210.
    There is no possibility that an iPhone within the borders of Canada will be affected by any CDMA shutdown. That iPhone 3G is EDGE/UMTS, Apple didn't even make any CDMA iPhones up until midway through the iPhone 4's lifespan and it was only for Verizon USA.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)