1. Post #1
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,932 Posts
    Logo by TheBlackViper

Half-Life. Sure, we all know what it looks like now, and we all know that, supposedly, a shit load of work went into it, but do any of use know how much effort Valve actually put into it? Well, I do, and so, I'm going to educate you in the ways of Half-Life. Namely, the models in the game, and how they were constantly being improved upon. Basically, we'll be taking a look at the evolution of Half-Life. Mainly, the Beta, and how drastically different it is from the final version.

You may notice the, well, 'strange' scientist and barney models. That's because the game originally wasn't going to be that serious. It just, well, evolved into what it is now.

Oh, for the HD models, click here: steam://installaddon/halflifehd
    To get rid of them, click here: steam://removeaddon/halflifehd

Well, here goes nothing:

Character Evolution:

Gordon Freeman:

Name established by Gabe Newell, while driving with Marc Laidlaw to their favorite Japenese Restaurant.

Stage 1:

Ivan the motha-fuckin' space biker...

Stage 2:

Almost looks just like the current Gordon, Except for the red suit and those... eyebrows...

Final Stage:

All fixed up and ready to kick some ass.

Barney:

Stage 1:

Flat-out ugly. Notice the eyes, and the 'scared' expression, that was used in the early models for both the barney's and the scientist's.

Stage 2:

The detail is a bit nicer, but the eye's seem to be bulging out. Course, that could just look odd, cause we're used to the way it is now. But still, the detail on the suit could use improvement.

Stage 3:

The eye's are fixed up, and the helmet now has the 'reflectiveness' feature. Still, the uniform needs work...

Stage 4:

The uniform is fixed up a bit, and all-together it looks pretty good. But not good enough!

Stage 5:

Yay, it's now complete! Of course, before going to the final stage, the face get's a bit of a make-over, before finally turning into the barney we all know:

Final Stage:

Yay!

HD Stage:
    http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/2...ney24hwrp1.jpg
    Lookin' sharp.

Scientist:

Stage 1:

Just like Barney's stage 1, the eyes are... creepy, and the quality is shitty. Still, I kinda like the scratches all over him. It's a nice touch.

Stage 2:

Once again, just like Barney's stage 2, the eye's are bulging, and the uniform is pretty poor quality. Still, it's an improvement over Stage 1!As far as I can tell, this is when different kinds of scientists were introduced. Notice the red-haired one, who aparently didn't make it into the final game.

Stage 3:

Note the gloves he's wearing. Now it's really looking good! But not good enough for the good folk at Valve, so...

Final Stage:

All polished up and ready to go! Though I doubt he'll live long... Especially if I'm playing.

HD Stage:

Looking even better. The tie even sways from side to side while he's moving!

G-Man:

G-Man is just a fucking codename. No, it doesn't mean he's a 'government man'. That's what 'Raising the Bar' says, so just deal with it. :P

Stage 1:

Notice the different symbol on his briefcase. Also, the face is slightly different.

Final Stage:

HD Stage:

New tie.

Hound-Eye:

Stage 1:

Like most of the other stage 1's, this guy is devoid of any real detail. So, that had to be changed, naturally...

Stage 2:

Looks much better. Still room for improvement.

Stage 3:

Pretty much done. But still, Valve decided to add a few more details to it, thus leading to...

Final Stage:

Ah, perfect.

HD Stage:

Just an increase in overall quality.

Bullsquid:

Stage 1:

Notice how freaking huge it is. Also, this version is called the 'bullchicken'.

Stage 2:

Fucking trippy. Size is changed to the current size. Nothing really wrong with it, but I guess it was changed due to how much of an attention grabber it is.

Final Stage:

And now, after just 3 stages, we finally arive here, and the final stage.

HD Stage:

Notice the hook on the tail, the third, back-claw thingy on it's feet, and the white tips on the tentacles. Also, the eye quality was increaed a bunch.

Headcrab:
    Stage 1:

Fucking ugly. Looks like it's covered in vomit.

Final Stage:

Huge improvement over the last one.

More pictures in the main thread
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative x 87Winner x 8Funny x 5Dumb x 3Friendly x 3Late x 2Zing x 1Useful x 1Optimistic x 1Disagree x 1Artistic x 1Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    February 2006
    4 Posts
    bracket post to continue
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb x 73Funny x 18Useful x 9Winner x 7Agree x 6Friendly x 6Optimistic x 5Disagree x 4Artistic x 4Zing x 4Late x 4Informative x 3Bad Spelling x 3Bad Reading x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,932 Posts
    Zombies:

Stage 1:

Pretty freaking ugly. Though, surprisingly, the head-crab doesn't look that bad...

Alternate Final Stage:

Alternate final stage. Looks fucking awesome.

Final Stage:

Creepy... But very nice looking!

HD Stage:

Twice as good as it used to look.

Alien Grunt:

Stage 1:

Notice the lack of a hivegun.

Tentacle:

Stage 1:

Not too shabby, for a stage 1. Though it looks like it was made when everything was at stage 2, though. Still, plenty of room for improvement.

Final Stage:

And there you go. All nice and perfect.

Gargantua:

A truly wicked concept art stage:
    Go buy 'Raising the Bar'.

Stage 1:

Not too different, except for the yellow stripes.

Final Stage:

Finished.

Controller:

Main difference, aside from the slight lack of detail, is what appears to be a blue loincloth of some sort on him.

Assassin:

Stage 1:

Really, the only noticable difference, is that she's packing a crossbow, instead of a silenced pistol. That and the night-vision googles are a different color.

Final Stage:

Yep. Very nice.

Human Grunt:

Stage 1:

The detail is fine, except for the horrible looking hands and guns. Not to mention, they do seem a bit skinny, but that might just be me. Also, just one model.

Final Stage:

All fixed up and looking good. Hooray!

HD Stage:

Fucking awesome looking.

Osprey:

Basically it's just lacking in details.

Alien Slave:
    Multiple concept stages.

Nihilanth:
    One wierd concept stage. Has it suspended by hooks and such. Also, the name means 'Nihilish' and 'Anth', which means 'flower', refering to the way it's head 'opens up like petals.'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative x 20Winner x 3Friendly x 2Dumb x 2Late x 1Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    February 2006
    4 Posts
    second Bracket post
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb x 50Funny x 14Useful x 9Winner x 5Friendly x 4Informative x 3Late x 3Artistic x 2Zing x 2Agree x 2Optimistic x 2Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,932 Posts
    NPC's that were cut:

The Charger:

Dunno anything about it, except it's from Xen and probably doesn't care much for you. Credit goes to astirk.sega for finding it.

The construction worker:

Made many appearances in several Half-Life 1 Mod's, such as Point of View, and USS Darkstar.

Robo:

Don't know shit about this one.

Unknown:

Hm, weird. It was most likely just some sort of temporary model, until they made the real ones.

Walking Mech:

I think it's been said, that this beast was replaced with the Gargantua.

Archer:

Don't really know a whole lot about this guy, except he's aquatic.

Chumtoad:

The Chumtoad was originally going to be used as a sort of 'bait', to use as a distraction to help you take out the enemy. Alternate names: Chubtoad, Chumtoad, and... Choad... Has made many appearences in many Half-Life 1 Mods. Heart of Evil, Sven-Coop, Point of View, Azure Sheep, and USS Darkstar, to name a few.

Rat:

The Rat has also appeared in a few, such as Heart of Evil (I think...) USS Darkstar, Half-Life: Invasion, They Hunger, Azure Sheep, and Point of View.

Kingpin:

Appeared in several Half-Life Mod's, such as Sweet Half-Life, USS Darkstar, and Rocket Crowbar.
    Massive brain, 'disabling psionic attack and psionic defense attack to block weapon', and '4 eyestalks enabling 360 degree vision."

Mr. Friendly:

Appeared in a few Half-Life Mod's, such as USS Darkstar, and Rocket Crowbar.
    Has an absolutely fucking priceless story behind it in the "Raising the Bar" book. Basically, it involves a big, alien, penis.

Heavy-Weapons Grunt:

Stage 1:

Horrible looking. Very skinny, too.

Final Stage:

Stukabat:

Appearances: Point of View (As a weapon), Rocket Crowbar (As a 'player-morph'), and USS Darkstar.

Snapbug:

Floater:

It's held afloat by the poison gases that it's filled with. It would've floated around in groups.

Boid:

Although they aren't completely cut from the game, and can be seen flying in the background, their original purpose, of being an enemy, was removed.

AFlock:

Not to sure about this one. Probably same as Boid.

PANTHER-EYE!!:
    My favorite half-life enemy that was removed.

Stage 1:

Fucking bad-ass. Plain and simple.

Stage 2:

Same as above. Personally, I like this version better than the blue version.

Weapons

357:

Not much different, except it's a bit more grey, and has a laser sight.

Unknown beta gun:

Tau Cannon/Gauss Gun:

Looks alot like the Tau we're familiar with. Except for that strange handle-bar on the side.

Crossbow:

VERY different.

Shotgun:

Much more silver looking.

MP5:

Really lacking in detail. Also, when shooting, it either sounds like it's silenced, or like a turret. Depending on what stage the beta is in at the time.

Pistol:

Lacking in detail. Kind of looks like the HD version...

The promotional stuff:

This peice of art was drawn by the same guy that did all the Half-Life 2 drawings, box-arts, and posters. Bottom-line: This guy rules. Click the picture to go to his homepage.

VIDEOS:

Beta Trailer:

Beta Gameplay 1:

Beta Gameplay 2:

Short Clip:

Video, compiled by me, from all the different videos on the Nostalgia website:

You may have noticed the scene where the player shoots Barney, and where Barney throws a scientist to a 'Panther-Eye'. That's because Barney was originally going to be a sort of 'ineffectual bad-guy'.

Voice acting differences movie:

Interview with Marc Laidlaw:

The original Valve Opening scene:

Un-used dialouge from Half-Life 1:

CONTINUED IN POST 9
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 22Winner Winner x 4Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    October 2005
    8 Posts
    Wow, he's pretty damn ugly in some of the pictures (Barney).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    437 Posts
    Are those bitmaps, because they are taking forever to load.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21 Posts
    They might have been going for a wacky kinda game in their beta.

You actually took the time to compile and resize and decribe all the pictures. You deserve something. But the most I can give is a thanks and a 5 rating.

*edit*

Sorry but how would I go about giving a thanks again?

9. Post #9
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,932 Posts
    Alpha/Beta Levels:

The beta test-chamber!

Anyone want a new avatar? :q:

MAN, I have been working on this from 6:30, to 10:00. I'm fucking exhausted. Resizing, and changing the file types of all those pictures was a real pain in the ass. Oh well. Credits go to:

sx_fx: For being the first to find the two Half-Life 1 Beta Game-Play videos, and helping get this thread posted.

Diskless: For providing better versions of several of the Cut NPC's pictures.

TheBlackViper: The logo, and fixing up several of the pictures.

astrik.sega: For providing a whole shit-load of content!

Solidmoos: Hilarious space biker pictures.

Ackart (H.I.T. forums): Providing the link to the site listed below.

This awesome site: For supplying most of the pictures.

This later version of the above site, for providing the videos used in the big video I made.

Half-Life 2 Raising the Bar: For providing information, and NOT SCANS.

Stealth House, for just being a really cool site. Got loads of information about everything Half-Life.

PM me if you think something should be added. I will be replacing some of the shitty pictures tomorrow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative x 11Friendly x 3Winner x 2Dumb x 1Late x 1Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    February 2006
    4 Posts
    It would've been kickass to play it with those cut models still in it and it'd be longer.

11. Post #11
    August 2005
    44 Posts
    I really like your threads , postal . Very good work.

Also , if you want to see a better looking blue panthereye , well here it is :D

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Winner Winner x 3 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    437 Posts
    Wow, it looks like the beta was far more violent (referring to the panthereye ripping the scientists guts out from the stomach)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 21 (list)

13. Post #13
    March 2006
    53 Posts
    Best thread ever!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    247 Posts
    Great, I didn't know about this stuff. Pretty neat. I knew Valve scraped the earily verisons because they thought they sucked.

15. Post #15
    August 2005
    44 Posts
    Oh and by the way , the first tau cannon picture is actually the early RPG.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    September 2005
    46 Posts
    I read it's going to be in sven co-op 3.5 & maybe 2 YA!!

17. Post #17
    September 2005
    19 Posts
    That is fucking awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,932 Posts
    TheBlackViper posted:
    Are those bitmaps, because they are taking forever to load.
    No, I converted them all to .png's. Ha, 50 MSpaint windows open at once. Funny stuff.

Fire_cube posted:
    Oh and by the way , the first tau cannon picture is actually the early RPG.
    You sure about that? Meh, I suppose it is. I was just going by looks. Fixed.

19. Post #19
    August 2005
    44 Posts
    gtaiiilcs posted:
    I read it's going to be in sven co-op 3.5 & maybe 2 YA!!
    No. You obviously know nothing about 3.5 , and nothing was said about new npcs for sc2 (except the Super Combine Soldier).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    September 2005
    46 Posts
    Fire_cube posted:
    No. You obviously know nothing about 3.5 , and nothing was said about new npcs for sc2 (except the Super Combine Soldier).
    And the combie assassin.(I have pics!)

21. Post #21
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,932 Posts
    Fire_cube posted:
    I really like your threads , postal . Very good work.

Also , if you want to see a better looking blue panthereye , well here it is :D
    The Panthereye is in Sven-coop? :raise: Oh well, that picture fucking rules. Thanks. :D

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    30 Posts
    Wow. This is amazing. I love the panther thing too. Could you pm me a link to the mod containing it? And I also love that rat npc.

23. Post #23
    August 2005
    44 Posts
    gtaiiilcs posted:
    And the combie assassin.(I have pics!)
    Link ? I've been a member on their forums for almost four years. I think you are just saying random shit.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    25 Posts
    TheBlackViper posted:
    Wow, it looks like the beta was far more violent (referring to the panthereye ripping the scientists guts out from the stomach)
    And the part where the security guard throws the scientist off of him so he can save his own ass. That would have been cool in HL. Kinda sad they cut out parts like that.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    30 Posts
    This made me want to re-instal half life 1 and actually play the game. I never played it because I only heard a few stuff about half life so than when it was the time I went to check it out, they had Half life 2, with half life 1 in it. I will actually play through this and find this bullsquid thing. I can't wait!

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    5,159 Posts
    Awesome thread! I like the scared look on the scientists and the old Bullsquid.

27. Post #27
    September 2005
    46 Posts
    Fire_cube posted:
    Link ? I've been a member on their forums for almost four years. I think you are just saying random shit.
    Here's the link HA! http://www.gamemaker.nu/index.php?id=207

http://www.gamemaker.nu/upload/image/assassiness.jpg

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21 Posts
    More videos, some links probably don't work: *removed*

Hmm, seems non of them work anymore.

29. Post #29
    August 2005
    44 Posts
    Actually , the page has been edited and the words "for sven co-op 2" have been removed.

30. Post #30
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,932 Posts
    Rayne posted:
    More videos, some links probably don't work: *removed*

Hmm, seems non of them work anymore.
    Hm? Seem to work fine for me. Try the 'click here to download' link.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21 Posts
    postal posted:
    Hm? Seem to work fine for me. Try the 'click here to download' link.
    No, I had another link up there that had about 30 videos from the alpha and better versions of HL1.

Non of them seem to be working anymore though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,932 Posts

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21 Posts
    postal posted:
    Nope, not those ones.

34. Post #34
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,932 Posts
    Holy shit, this video sounds awesome:
    "If you can only download one of these MPEGs, this is the one to get. Action, music, scenes that never made it into the release, and pure brilliance. If this doesn't get the hairs on the back of your neck standing, you've obviously shaved them off."

http://www.fileplanet.com/hosteddl.a...flife_orig.mpg

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    5,159 Posts
    postal posted:
    Holy shit, this video sounds awesome:
    "If you can only download one of these MPEGs, this is the one to get. Action, music, scenes that never made it into the release, and pure brilliance. If this doesn't get the hairs on the back of your neck standing, you've obviously shaved them off."

http://www.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?...flife_orig.mpg
    Find it somewhere else and post it, then I would gladly get it.

36. Post #36
    February 2006
    10 Posts
    I wonder what stage of the beta did they decided to put in the G-man

37. Post #37
    Stay Rusty
    April 2005
    11,932 Posts
    Gah, forgot to add the Gman. He's on there now.

38. Post #38
    January 2006
    12 Posts
    That...is too cool...

39. Post #39

February 2006
    3 Posts
    Some of the removed enemies are being implemented into Black Mesa: Source.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    5 Posts
    Nice finds!