1. Post #3841

December 2017
    17 Posts
    Jeez, I haven't been on here since all the forums got cleaned up.
    Here's a new track from me. Some atmospheric trap for you all.

Really nice! Only detail that comes to my mind is that every once in a while the sidechain compression becomes a tad bit too forceful and sudden. But otherwise it sounds really clean and well engineered!

Here is one of my latest works. Currently I mainly try to create modern hybrid orchestral soundtrack material in spirit of Two Steps From Hell and similar artists. Mixing is something I still suck at, but otherwise the sound is "getting there".

2. Post #3842
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    3,620 Posts
    Really nice! Only detail that comes to my mind is that every once in a while the sidechain compression becomes a tad bit too forceful and sudden. But otherwise it sounds really clean and well engineered!

Here is one of my latest works. Currently I mainly try to create modern hybrid orchestral soundtrack material in spirit of Two Steps From Hell and similar artists. Mixing is something I still suck at, but otherwise the sound is "getting there".
    I LOVE those choral samples - they are surprisingly realistic! This gives me strong Guild Wars 1 vibes, a very good thing, in my opinion.

I am really quite impressed, friend. I think we shall get on, being that we both write music in the style of a soundtrack.

Are you able to post more? My stuff tends to be piano-centric because I don't have enough patience for software and prefer to improvise a lot on each recording to give each rendition more of spontaneous vibe. :)

I would be interested to know what you think of a few of mine on the last page, but no pressure. Still, I would very much like to hear more of your work.

3. Post #3843

December 2017
    17 Posts
    Thank you! Glad to hear you liked it! Regarding choral samples - yes they have definitely become more and more realistic in the past years. I personally love especially 8Dio. They really know how to make good sampled choirs.

I took a listen to your soundcloud links and left a few comments on the soundcloud! Really nice work! We definitely have similar taste when it comes to music and composition. I have quite a lot of material on my youtube / soundcloud but I don't want to spam the thread too much :) If you want, you can check out for example my post regarding my new Dota 2 music pack release

When it comes to composing - I am actually also really improvisational guy even when I use lots of libraries. After setting up the instrumentation channels, I tend to just push record and play everything on the fly and just tweak the notes slightly afterwards. My skills of composing just on pen & paper is horrible. I have mainly played guitar and focused on jazz / fusion and blocking solos / tunes with ear, so it has become sort of my way to go as a composition technique as well. Usually I have no idea what I'm going to play before I push rec and then it just goes from there.

4. Post #3844
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    3,620 Posts
    Thank you! Glad to hear you liked it! Regarding choral samples - yes they have definitely become more and more realistic in the past years. I personally love especially 8Dio. They really know how to make good sampled choirs.

I took a listen to your soundcloud links and left a few comments on the soundcloud! Really nice work! We definitely have similar taste when it comes to music and composition. I have quite a lot of material on my youtube / soundcloud but I don't want to spam the thread too much :) If you want, you can check out for example my post regarding my new Dota 2 music pack release

When it comes to composing - I am actually also really improvisational guy even when I use lots of libraries. After setting up the instrumentation channels, I tend to just push record and play everything on the fly and just tweak the notes slightly afterwards. My skills of composing just on pen & paper is horrible. I have mainly played guitar and focused on jazz / fusion and blocking solos / tunes with ear, so it has become sort of my way to go as a composition technique as well. Usually I have no idea what I'm going to play before I push rec and then it just goes from there.
    I am also terrible at reading music! When I learnt classical stuff about 9 years ago, I would just use sheet music as a guide if my ear couldn't pick stuff up, but it was normally close enough, assuming it isn't a Chopin ballade or something.

I should check out the sample pack you use then. Would that be compatible with Logic, or do you use something else?

Thanks for writing comments - I didn't notice. :) I will have a listen to your Soundcloud in a bit too. Most of my Soundcloud stuff is super rough, but that's okay, heh.

5. Post #3845

December 2017
    17 Posts
    I use Cubase but nowadays any sample libraries should be compatible with any modern DAWs. Most of my libraries and Native Instruments Kontakt based, so one good way to go about it would be to get the Native Instruments Komplete (basic set, not ultimate) when it's on discount and purchase 1-2 good orchestral library sets for Kontakt. I would pick either Albion 1 from Spitfire or Metropolis Ark 1. For example that tune I posted is mainly Albion 1 with some 8Dio choirs.

6. Post #3846
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,118 Posts
    anyone here ever bought/played a Harley Benton? was considering buying a bass vi clone off them since it's a fraction of the price of a squier even with shipping all the way to nz.

7. Post #3847
    Gold Member
    October 2017
    78 Posts
    I have written quite a few lyrics. Here is a poem I wrote that same girl. She was sexually assaulted by a prolific YouTuber, and I wrote a poem about it because I was bored. I was not flirting or anything- that would have been inappropriate, but I guess it turned out relatively okay. Her name is Pieke.

Here is a song I wrote called Old Man. I have a recording of me playing and singing this one. In fact, it is probably the best song I have written, but I am kinda embarrassed about my singing and am also keen not to exhaust my music too quickly - people are more likely to give feedback on one song at a time than five.
    I really like those song lyrics my man, you should continue writing more.

I forgot that I put this up, but I have an album on Spotify!

http://open.spotify.com/album/6S6cDwkbWZziu3rwu5PIX9

8. Post #3848
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,657 Posts

Congrats bro, saved and followed! What distributor did you use? I don't know what your plans are for the album but I can pass on some tips for promotion that I've learned in the last month since putting mine out.

Edited:

Also this goes out to everyone, let me know if anyone wants mixing (free of course) on your tracks. I want to get more experience with it so feel free to send me a track :D

9. Post #3849
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    3,620 Posts

I thoroughly enjoyed Simon's Cruise. I love the piano at the end. I think it would be better if a few progressive layers built on that piano though. Perhaps a second piano, some percussion and strings? I love it already, but I think that piano riff is well suited to a build up. :)

Here is something else I have written that's very rough. It is something else I imagined for an advert: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l11k2ry1ez...eborn.m4a?dl=0

10. Post #3850
    June 2007
    579 Posts
    This is good, man. I will offer some constructive criticism though, as that's what this is all about! I will mention both the positive and negative (although subjective) impression I get of the piece.
    1. I love the rhythm on the percussion in combination with the guitar. It feels a lot like Command and Conquer music (in a good way) and specifically reminds me of Hell March. However, it would be great if you could put some fills in every 4 bars, especially near the end when the droning sound comes on, which leads me to...

2. I adored the new guitar bit at the end, with what I believe is a pedal effect? It creates much needed evolution of the piece and climaxes well. You even had me dancing a bit near the end.

3. Personally, if a piece is longer than 1:45, it is nice to have a new chord in there somewhere. To keep it simple, you could convert the last major chord in alternate phrases to their relative minor counterpart, for example, what I believe, if my ear is not failing me, to be a C major, you could put in an A minor instead sometimes, or even better - an Am7.

4. Finally, I love dissonance and the counterpoint in the middle section really appealed to me.

Overall, it is good, mate.

Once again, sorry for posting my stuff without adding feedback. I feel like a dick, but I honestly just didn't think about how that can be construed as rude. I blame Asperger's!

I imagine my music won't be much appreciated, because it is mostly inspired by people like Chopin, Debussy, Ludovico Einaudi and Phillip Glass. Still, I would appreciate any feedback from people- I have 6 new things that I am comfortable sharing, if people don't mind the other stuff.

Edited:

I would appreciate it if people listened to the ones in my last post first, but here is something recent I wrote for a girl I like. Please stick around until the end, because I think the last minute is quite pretty. I make a fair few mistakes - I was rushing to get her the file, heh.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjfjuenbdc...Pieke.m4a?dl=0
    Yeah the drums def needs some variation. You were close, the whole piece is in G minor and is mostly in Aeolian. I think switching to the Lydian mode or the Dorian mode would probably create some newness. For the guitar effect were you referring to guitar when the drums cut out at the end?

Your piece was pretty sick man, you've got a good framework I think. There were some bluesy parts too in it I thought were cool.

11. Post #3851
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    3,620 Posts
    Yeah the drums def needs some variation. You were close, the whole piece is in G minor and is mostly in Aeolian. I think switching to the Lydian mode or the Dorian mode would probably create some newness. For the guitar effect were you referring to guitar when the drums cut out at the end?

Your piece was pretty sick man, you've got a good framework I think. There were some bluesy parts too in it I thought were cool.
    I know it is in G minor, lol. I was saying that it goes Gm, F, C, and that mixing it up with a Gm, F and Am sometimes would be pretty cool. :) That's the correct chord progression, right? I haven't tried playing it, so I could be wrong. :o

Thanks for the feedback on mine. It is a kinda classical, blues, neoclassical combination overall, yeah.

12. Post #3852
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    3,620 Posts
    I just wrote this. What do you guys think?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hvioihfd9f...0Life.m4a?dl=0

Edit: WTF, what happened to automerge, lol?

13. Post #3853
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,514 Posts
    I just wrote this. What do you guys think?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hvioihfd9f...0Life.m4a?dl=0

Edit: WTF, what happened to automerge, lol?
    that sounds really interesting. I sensed some dissonance around the third chord in the progression although I think it's on purpose, because the overall track sounded "sad" IMO.

here's a track I was working on and off over a few days. I don't think the quality lives up to a track that was worked on for a few days but whatever.

14. Post #3854
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    3,620 Posts
    that sounds really interesting. I sensed some dissonance around the third chord in the progression although I think it's on purpose, because the overall track sounded "sad" IMO.

here's a track I was working on and off over a few days. I don't think the quality lives up to a track that was worked on for a few days but whatever.

It's a Cmaj7, with the first chord being a C#minor7/9 and it being in the key of E overall. The dissonance was not a mistake, heh. I find it haunting and sad, yeah. Most of my music is sad, although the last thing I posted in post #3849, just above, is quite cheerful.

I really love that snippet you have posted. It kinda gives me a vibe of when hallucinogens are wearing off, like LSD or shrooms, and you're with your mates, in this sorta dream state.

You absolutely must do more with that - I would give it a 9/10 as s premise for a song, and I am not easily impressed.

Here is something of me improvising and singing. The first 2 minutes are instrumental, although I plan to put vocals there later too. I am not much of a singer, and I have a cold, so the final minute sucks.

The basis for it was that instrumental one I posted last, although I made this more complex. Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f1ipngdsf7bkl2v/Test.m4a?dl=0

15. Post #3855

December 2011
    1,041 Posts
    10 downloads and around 600 plays so far on the collab album, not bad! As one might imagine, first track gets most listens and then the longer into the album the less plays you get, but the top 4 has a quite even distribution of plays as well as the rest of the bottom tracks.

16. Post #3856

December 2017
    17 Posts

Damn this is actually really nice, reminds me a bit of Burial and Aphilas, a bit of Nujabes there as well <3 Would love to hear more this kind of stuff! Chill and alternative in just the right way!

Here is one of my latest works. I wanted to go for this kind of soft build up kind of epicness:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #3857
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    3,620 Posts
    Damn this is actually really nice, reminds me a bit of Burial and Aphilas, a bit of Nujabes there as well <3 Would love to hear more this kind of stuff! Chill and alternative in just the right way!

Here is one of my latest works. I wanted to go for this kind of soft build up kind of epicness:

The name of this track feels very appropriate. I imagine some long journey taking place on an American interstate road at the beginning of a post-apolcalyptic film, heh. Perhaps a convoy and some trucks.

The percussion is really great too. Drums are not my strong suit, so I am always impressed when others do it well. It would be cool to make a new section, for which I have an idea, in fact. I will post the chords and a recording in a minute when I have checked if it works.

Edited:

Okay, here is the recording of my idea for what could happen at the end. I have it changing key as soon as yours stops, and it won't work unless it breathes for a second of silence, IMO. I was keen to change the key, although feel free to transpose it back to A minor if you want.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqvhrzi5rpydszj/Idea.m4a?dl=0

Chords are:
    Dm, Am (C note in bass), Am(A note in bass), Bb, Gm7
    Dm, Am (C note in bass), Am(A note in bass), Dm (F note in bass), G major.

18. Post #3858
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    4,014 Posts
    10 downloads and around 600 plays so far on the collab album, not bad! As one might imagine, first track gets most listens and then the longer into the album the less plays you get, but the top 4 has a quite even distribution of plays as well as the rest of the bottom tracks.
    Hm, that must be fun. To actually have the track in there to be heard

19. Post #3859

December 2017
    17 Posts
    The name of this track feels very appropriate. I imagine some long journey taking place on an American interstate road at the beginning of a post-apolcalyptic film, heh. Perhaps a convoy and some trucks.

The percussion is really great too. Drums are not my strong suit, so I am always impressed when others do it well. It would be cool to make a new section, for which I have an idea, in fact. I will post the chords and a recording in a minute when I have checked if it works.

Edited:

Okay, here is the recording of my idea for what could happen at the end. I have it changing key as soon as yours stops, and it won't work unless it breathes for a second of silence, IMO. I was keen to change the key, although feel free to transpose it back to A minor if you want.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqvhrzi5rpydszj/Idea.m4a?dl=0

Chords are:
    Dm, Am (C note in bass), Am(A note in bass), Bb, Gm7
    Dm, Am (C note in bass), Am(A note in bass), Dm (F note in bass), G major.
    Thank you! That idea fits well in the original, I have to see when I have time in the studio to retrofit in!

20. Post #3860
    January 2009
    1,416 Posts

I like it a lot, I really like how warm it sounds. It could use some variation but it wouldn't need much if it had vocals over the top.

This is really nice. I'm not sure how much I like the digital bassline. It sounds a bit out of place, especially in the intro but it'd lose a lot of its drive if it wasn't there. I'm curious what you use for your drum samples.

I've tried working on something at a much lower tempo.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #3861
    Gold Member
    October 2017
    78 Posts
    Congrats bro, saved and followed! What distributor did you use? I don't know what your plans are for the album but I can pass on some tips for promotion that I've learned in the last month since putting mine out.

Edited:

Also this goes out to everyone, let me know if anyone wants mixing (free of course) on your tracks. I want to get more experience with it so feel free to send me a track :D
    Thank's man, I used Tunecore.

I thoroughly enjoyed Simon's Cruise. I love the piano at the end. I think it would be better if a few progressive layers built on that piano though. Perhaps a second piano, some percussion and strings? I love it already, but I think that piano riff is well suited to a build up. :)

Here is something else I have written that's very rough. It is something else I imagined for an advert: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l11k2ry1ez...eborn.m4a?dl=0
    Thank's man, I don't usually write a lot of piano orientated melodies but feel that I did that project justice by including some of my writing. I originally started out with just a paino before I adopted all of this technological stuff. I actually have a few examples of this up, including a track that I made in 2016

I also forgot to mention I went ahead and made a music video for this as I deemed it important for the message behind this project to be conveyed easier.

The message behind the album should make sense now. I kick my self in the stomach everytime with all these unfinished projects though. I didn't end up finishing this music video and only got half way through, before losing all my source material by accidentally clearing my downloads folder, opps. As always, your piano melodies are beautiful, would love to have you write on my next project.

22. Post #3862
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    3,620 Posts
    Thank's man, I used Tunecore.

Thank's man, I don't usually write a lot of piano orientated melodies but feel that I did that project justice by including some of my writing. I originally started out with just a paino before I adopted all of this technological stuff. I actually have a few examples of this up, including a track that I made in 2016

I also forgot to mention I went ahead and made a music video for this as I deemed it important for the message behind this project to be conveyed easier.

The message behind the album should make sense now. I kick my self in the stomach everytime with all these unfinished projects though. I didn't end up finishing this music video and only got half way through, before losing all my source material by accidentally clearing my downloads folder, opps. As always, your piano melodies are beautiful, would love to have you write on my next project.
    This first one has fantastic percussion (I had not heard the first one with headphones last time I listened to the album) Wowza! Have you ever heard of a band called 'The Books'? Your music style and how your video is constructed gives me a strong vibe of some of their stuff.

I would be up for being involved in any future project, sure. I wish you had done more with the first track on the album - It's really very good.

23. Post #3863

December 2011
    1,041 Posts
    Hm, that must be fun. To actually have the track in there to be heard
    I asked you to allow downloads on your track not only earlier a long time ago but also when you mentioned this the last time just hours after I had uploaded the album vOv

I like it a lot, I really like how warm it sounds. It could use some variation but it wouldn't need much if it had vocals over the top.

This is really nice. I'm not sure how much I like the digital bassline. It sounds a bit out of place, especially in the intro but it'd lose a lot of its drive if it wasn't there. I'm curious what you use for your drum samples.

I've tried working on something at a much lower tempo.

Wow, lower tempo really works well for ya! I honestly didn't notice the minute long intro, because it felt so natural and I zoned out because of it.

You've got something really nice here that's for sure, I honestly can't think of anything to add beyond more of those sweet vocals you've got going during 1:26.
    Maybe something sung on top of it all?

I got some drums recorded in my shitty basement studio, I'll have to revisit recording drums after I've done the following;

1) Getting myself a ride cymbal
    2) Change the skins (the middle tom is looking like a teenager with severe acne :V:)
    3) Actually tune the drums
    4) Get some sound treatment in the form of acoustic panels I've got some plans on building.

24. Post #3864
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    21,024 Posts
    I can get a used Cronenwerth CHP 500 for 50, deal or no deal?

25. Post #3865
    Ott
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    6,675 Posts
    I can get a used Cronenwerth CHP 500 for 50, deal or no deal?
    Doesn't look like it has 88 keys, but 50 is 50.

26. Post #3866

December 2011
    1,041 Posts
    Btw to those who contributed to the album ; Don't forget to write a review :)