1. Post #4641
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    932 Posts
    Is there a way to override an NPC's model? Lets say I want a metrocop replaced with a watermelon without replacing game files

2. Post #4642
    November 2014
    1,844 Posts
    you could try setting the npc's Render Mode to don't render and parent the watermelon to the npc attachment point so you only see the watermelon

3. Post #4643
    October 2009
    1,090 Posts
    Is there a way to override an NPC's model? Lets say I want a metrocop replaced with a watermelon without replacing game files
    Why would you want to do that???
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Safari Croatia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4644
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    932 Posts
    Why would you want to do that???
    I just gave a quick example, what I really want to do is add a modded metrocop alongside a regular one, ideally both animated

Just to add an extent of verity

5. Post #4645
    October 2009
    1,090 Posts
    That changes your issue completely because a melon would obviously not be animated.

Heres the only thing you can try:
    - turn off smart edit and add a "model" key value pointing to any test model

This definitely works for citizens and combine soldiers, Im not sure about metro cops tho

Edited:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...alog#SmartEdit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Safari Croatia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #4646
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    476 Posts
    stairs should be 12x8 hu per step you can use the steps dev texture to work things out
    Yes, 12x8 for most textures without resizing. Actual size doesn't matter so long as it fits the VDC Dimensions for maximum height a player can step up on without jumping.

Make a nodraw box below the stairs, and func_detail the stairs.
    You are drawing massive amounts of visleafs with those stairs.

7. Post #4647
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    2,413 Posts
    Also that central landing doesn't need to be made of twelve thousand brushes, just make a cylinder and cut it to fit

8. Post #4648
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    111 Posts
    I'm looking for different maps with high quality shaders that I can load up and walk around in. I know I can do this with HL2 maps I find around, though it has been many years since I have played with the source engine and these things.

I'm wondering if there are similar resources for CSGO that have a higher quality. Also seeking maps that don't have enemies, just something explorable.

9. Post #4649
    October 2009
    1,090 Posts
    Many CS:GO maps have been ported to Garry's mod, those are some of the best maps around for exploring

Also Resistance and Liberation maps
    And neotokyo maps
    Many of the old GMS maps too. They are really chill but not very high quality
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #4650

April 2014
    105 Posts
    Has anyone here done any mapping work for Insurgency? I'm coming across an issue with cubemaps and the glass texture the game uses for everything (usually used for breakable_surf).

When compiling a map with both cubemaps and the ins_glass_02 texture, vbsp stops responding and crashes on "fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides..."; however, the map compiles fine with either cubemaps or the glass texture on their own.

I decided to extract the vmt and vtf and they both seem pretty basic:

Material:
    Code:
    "LightmappedGeneric"
    {
    	"$basetexture" "glass/ins_glass_02"
    	"$envmap" "env_cubemap"
    	"$surfaceprop" "glass"
    	"$envmaptint" "[.2 .15 .15]"
    	"$translucent" 1
    // required for dx6+7 specular
    //	"$multipass" 1
    	"$nocull" 1
    	"$crackmaterial" "glass/ins_glass_02break"
    }
    Texture:

I'm just curious if anyone knows the cause of a crash on this step or if anyone else has encountered this in other games and knows of a solution.

11. Post #4651
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    932 Posts
    -snip works fine-

12. Post #4652

January 2012
    39 Posts

How do I get rid of these weird shadows on prop_static?

13. Post #4653
    December 2007
    371 Posts
    How do I get rid of these weird shadows on prop_static?
    Per-vertex lighting can occasionally cause these oddities. I suggest setting the "Disable vertex lighting" option to Yes on those props in order to use origin-based lighting. It's less accurate, but it should look more uniform.

14. Post #4654

November 2016
    24 Posts
    Are visclusters good to get rid of a lot of the blue lines when hint brushes aren't doing the job very well? Or are visclusters inefficient or something.

Sorry for the bad terminology, don't really know the name for them

EDIT: You wouldn't call the lines themselves visleafs right?

15. Post #4655
    November 2014
    1,844 Posts
    Are visclusters good to get rid of a lot of the blue lines when hint brushes aren't doing the job very well? Or are visclusters inefficient or something.

are you using the skip texture on the face thats touchng a brush and the hint texture on the face thats not ? visclusters are used to tell vvis to skip doing calculations in the area where the func_viscluster brush is, it doesn't offer any opimisation benifits thou like a skip/hint occular or area_potal brush would

EDIT: to see visleafs in hammer do Map > Load Portal File. or to see them in game do Console, mat_leafvis 3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #4656

November 2016
    24 Posts
    I've got the hint texture on where the lines are coming from:

I've basically been trying to OCD away as many of the lines as possible, while keeping a reasonable amount for rendering (I think) and it seemed like viscluster was doing a heaps good job at that

EDIT: Also is there a way to fix the low quality live-rendering?:

is meant to say 'hint' -.-

17. Post #4657
    November 2014
    1,844 Posts
    the quality could be due to you needing to update grx drivers or the scale of the texture isn't 0.25, to stop the blue line coming out from the building put skip/hint on the front and sides and the roofs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #4658
    October 2015
    326 Posts

You should not "get rid of" visleafs. they have a very important task. If you have too many visleafs there is something wrong in the begin with. Hint is for manually telling vbsp where to cut a leaf so you can control how the world is rendered at a given location. func_visclusters should only ever be used for massive outdoor areas where the 1024 fixed visleaf size produces lots of new leafs.

I suggest watching this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swBfUW-Bsxs
    Its a long video but after it everything is covered.

For Visclusters this is helpful:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds5E7HBQ-nU&t=4s

Note that its always more important to respect the previous methods and never trade compile time with a loss of ingame performance

This is a good example of someone cleaning up a map:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrKjmqD8NlA

Hope this helps :)

Edited:
    im a bit late here but assuming youre trying to do this in gmod any working playermodel will work on npcs as far as I can tell :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #4659
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,451 Posts
    -snap nevermind-

20. Post #4660
    September 2011
    703 Posts
    I can't seem to remember how to move a brush by half a unit? I think it was in a big post about a bunch of little-known Hammer shortcuts but I can't find it now.

21. Post #4661
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    2,413 Posts
    Ctrl-m is the transform tool (translate, rotate, scale) shortcut

22. Post #4662
    September 2011
    703 Posts
    Ctrl-m is the transform tool (translate, rotate, scale) shortcut
    That I was aware of, I was just sure there was a button you could hold down while manipulating brushes to move them half a unit.

23. Post #4663
    October 2015
    326 Posts
    It's alt
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

24. Post #4664
    September 2011
    703 Posts
    Is there any way at all to prevent decimal-loss issues on arches and the like?

25. Post #4665
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    363 Posts
    Is there any way at all to prevent decimal-loss issues on arches and the like?
    no

if you use hammerpatch https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1563348
    you can just ignore it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #4666
    October 2013
    299 Posts
    Does anybody have an in depth tutorial on creating realistic looking mountains? Displacement brush tool always make a hilly look rather then a structured mountain.

And texturing to have a realistic look rather then just the 2 textures I am locked to with painting?

27. Post #4667
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    2,413 Posts
    CSGO has four-way blends, in other games you're locked to 2 so you have to alternate textures

28. Post #4668
    October 2013
    299 Posts
    Any way to increase the max clipping plane? Working with a giant terrain taking up the whole grid, need to see everything at once.

Edit:
    Solution: Regedit:

(Not my screenshot)
    http://gamebanana.com/tuts/8935

29. Post #4669
    October 2015
    326 Posts
    Does anybody have an in depth tutorial on creating realistic looking mountains? Displacement brush tool always make a hilly look rather then a structured mountain.

And texturing to have a realistic look rather then just the 2 textures I am locked to with painting?
    You could use "world machine" to create a terrain and convert it to displacements using a program called "dispgen"

I didn't figure this out myself but I saw this map:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=349856780

30. Post #4670
    December 2016
    8 Posts
    Is there a limit of diffrent custom textures in your map? If so, how many can be used until i reach the limit?

31. Post #4671
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,675 Posts
    If I'm not mistaking you can have up to 2048 unique textures in one level. Custom or not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)