1. Post #4521
    December 2014
    217 Posts
    for some reason i have lighting problem in the map iam editing

your images dont show directly, you linked the images pages.

So here they are:

In your log, I can see that you run vvis in fast mode. Usually, it shouldnt cause bad lighting, but did you try running it normally ?
    And if it take too long, you need to func_detail stuffs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome France Show Events

2. Post #4522

June 2016
    33 Posts
    your images dont show directly, you linked the images pages.

So here they are:

In your log, I can see that you run vvis in fast mode. Usually, it shouldnt cause bad lighting, but did you try running it normally ?
    And if it take too long, you need to func_detail stuffs
    in normal the same thing happen so i used fast vvis while testing few thing trying to fix it but couldt do anything
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Jordan Show Events

3. Post #4523
    September 2011
    723 Posts
    How the hell am I supposed to make a structure like the bridge pictured without getting invalid solids or weirdly stretched, thin brushes?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events

4. Post #4524
    November 2014
    1,951 Posts
    create the bridge as normal then rotate it to the angle you need
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #4525
    October 2015
    420 Posts
    create the bridge as normal then rotate it to the angle you need
    That works but it will end up with vertexpoints off-grid. It will be func_detail so it doesn't matter too much but for later editing/ moving it's a pain. Using triangles instead should do the trick:

Sorry I drew this on my phone lol

Edited:
    You probably Want to have it angled from above aswell..

You can just move the bed points in the top view ober. Make sure they share the same diagonal outside line
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App France Show Events

6. Post #4526
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    2,535 Posts
    If your version of source supports instances they're the way to go
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Poland Show Events

7. Post #4527
    November 2014
    1,951 Posts
    That works but it will end up with vertexpoints off-grid. It will be func_detail so it doesn't matter too much but for later editing/ moving it's a pain. Using triangles instead should do the trick:

Sorry I drew this on my phone lol

Edited:
    You probably Want to have it angled from above aswell..

You can just move the bed points in the top view ober. Make sure they share the same diagonal outside line
    try using https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1563348 this should sort out the vertices
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events

8. Post #4528
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    1,719 Posts
    you could always just rotate it and move the vertex points to be on grid size 1 as well.

But yeah instances would work best but if you're doing something for gmod then you'll be sol on that front
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

9. Post #4529
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,561 Posts
    Is it possible to sortof "backwards-port" Source engine .vmfs into whatever file format Half Life 1's GoldSrc Hammer editor uses for uncompiled maps?

I'm really interested in getting into mapmaking for Sven Co-op, but the GoldSrc Hammer is a bit different and hard to get started with after using Source's Hammer editor for 9 years - so I was thinking I could build the level geometry in Source Hammer and then open it in GoldSrc Hammer and put in logic and entities if it's possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Norway Show Events

10. Post #4530
    September 2011
    723 Posts
    I've been trying everyone's suggestions for about an hour, and I still keep getting invalid brushes. The problem arises when I try to angle it to the left so that the top balcony isn't directly across from the bottom one, like in my image.

11. Post #4531
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    368 Posts
    you shouldnt be getting invalid brushes if everything is a triangle like kingpommes suggested
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #4532
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    2,535 Posts
    Here's basically what you need to do - each face of each brush used needs to be a triangle. Working on a nice angle like 1:2 also helps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #4533
    September 2011
    723 Posts
    Here's basically what you need to do - each face of each brush used needs to be a triangle. Working on a nice angle like 1:2 also helps.
    Thank you for the example, I was just not understanding what needed to be done and that helps a lot

14. Post #4534
    Gold Member
    October 2012
    5,446 Posts
    So I was putting Tactical Intervention maps into SFM thanks to TheKins. I did the whole GCFScape thing; installed the game, changed the dir files to vpk, and extracted the data_001_dir to SFM's game (not usermod) folder. Everything seems to work fine, but in mis_innercity map there is a huge chunk of missing textures by the very edge of the map. You won't notice it if you keep the camera low as most of the map is okay, but it could make sweeping shots hard. Wrong file placement perhaps?

Link to maps: https://sfmlab.com/item/416/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events

15. Post #4535

July 2016
    24 Posts
    how do you make it so that when you step into a trigger you have a certain amount of time before you start getting hurt with the time being the same for each person who enters?

16. Post #4536
    October 2015
    420 Posts
    Have a filter_activator_name that the trigger looks at. In that filter type in "hurtable" as the filter target.

Now in the output of the trigger have the following commands:

Onstartouch > !activator > addoutput > targetname hurtable > (how many seconds to delay)

Onendtouch > !activator > addoutput > targetname none > 0
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Germany Show Events

17. Post #4537
    December 2014
    1,260 Posts
    Was trying to get a bumpmap on a prop_static in my map, when I realized it was not working and the wiki said this:
    Warning: $bumpmap will disable prop_static's per-vertex lighting. Not enough data is stored in the vertices for normal mapping, so the engine has no choice but to fall back.
    That sucks. So my question is, is there some way around this or do I have no choice but to make it a prop_dynamic? I am worried about its effect on performance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Waterfox Japan Show Events

18. Post #4538
    October 2009
    1,206 Posts
    That has nothing to do with your bumpmap not working. You probably messed up somewhere in your materials
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Safari Croatia Show Events

19. Post #4539
    December 2014
    1,260 Posts
    Yeah whoops, looks like I messed up somewhere, although I do not know where exactly. I think it was something to do with the combination of it with envmap. It works now. Sorry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8.1 Waterfox Japan Show Events

20. Post #4540
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    5,723 Posts
    i need some insane help. for some reason my texture appears fullbright, only when i disable every shader it works fine, but either of the shaders cause the texture to be fullbright, if i edit the vmt and reload the textures the game crashes

Here's the vmt syntax
    Code:
    LightmappedGeneric
    {
    	$basetexture "mansion/genericwoodfloor"
    	$bumpmap "mansion/genericwoodfloor_normal"
    	$surfaceprop Wood

$reflectivity "[0.90 0.90 0.90]"

$detail "detail/dt_wood1"

$envmap "env_cubemap"
    	$basealphaenvmapmask 1
    	$envmaptint "[0.15 0.15 0.15]"

$phong 1
    	$phongexponent 20
    	$phongamount "[0.6 0.6 0.6 1]"
    }
    and here's the in game screenshot

Edit: fixed it, because having basealpha fucked everything up and i had to split my specular map to a new file
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Lithuania Show Events

21. Post #4541
    Thunderstorm Enthusiast
    February 2009
    568 Posts
    So a friend of mine is having possibly one of the weirdest issues I've seen in hammer to date. Any time they make a new map, no matter how simple it is, the compile log is spammed with the following, and the map loads as a black void in-game.
    Code:
    **** leaked ****

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (1536.0 2048.0 480.0)
    Leaf 0 contents: 
    Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID 
    viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID 
    This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID 
    Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID 
    Candidate brush IDs:
    and I have absolutely no idea what can be causing this issue. When I create the *EXACT SAME* map on my own copy of hammer, same textures, same size, etc. it works fine. I looked in the .vmf file itself in notepad++ and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary, so what gives? Why is this happening on every new map they create?

Link to problematic vmf

Edit: by doing absolutely nothing at all, the issue fixed itself. I'd still like to know what the hell could have been breaking it though, if anyone has any ideas. Broken VMF is still up for anyone to inspect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Chrome Show Events

22. Post #4542
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    4,510 Posts
    Issue regarding AI Nodes:

I've painfully made one AIN file for GMod, but then I've had to recompile the map though for a minor issue that has no effect on the nodes.

But now the game keeps "rebuilding" the AIN file every time, but it deletes all the data on it.

How could I possibly make it seem like it's not outdated so it doesn't rebuild it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Belgium Show Events

23. Post #4543
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    7,366 Posts
    Issue regarding AI Nodes:

I've painfully made one AIN file for GMod, but then I've had to recompile the map though for a minor issue that has no effect on the nodes.

But now the game keeps "rebuilding" the AIN file every time, but it deletes all the data on it.

How could I possibly make it seem like it's not outdated so it doesn't rebuild it?
    Well firstly to test it, you should get rid of the blank AIN files and add ai_norebuildgraph 1 to autoexec. The AI node file has to be edited on the same or later date than the map for it to not be rebuilt on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Vivaldi Finland Show Events

24. Post #4544
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    4,510 Posts
    Well firstly to test it, you should get rid of the blank AIN files and add ai_norebuildgraph 1 to autoexec. The AI node file has to be edited on the same or later date than the map for it to not be rebuilt on.
    Well that's pretty retarded. Also I just made a new AIN file and it still rebuilt it for some reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Belgium Show Events

25. Post #4545

July 2016
    24 Posts
    is there any way to make a one way door? if not then whats the closest way to do it?

26. Post #4546
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    2,535 Posts
    Disable "touch/use opens," instead open it with OnStartTouch from a trigger_multiple placed on one side of the door
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Poland Show Events

27. Post #4547
    Gold Member

December 2006
    234 Posts
    Working on some brushwork in my CS:GO map, getting some weird shadow glitching that I'm not familiar with.

I've tried a few things off the top of my head in attempt to fix, but nothing yet. Any suggestions?

and a direct link to the album if those don't work - http://imgur.com/a/xw1lc

ALSO: Is there a clock tower model anywhere? I remember seeing one in the CSGO files, but I can't identify it by filename.

28. Post #4548
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    2,535 Posts
    The shading issue is because of displacements; you'll have to remake the structure out of world brushes and apply a decal or be smarter with the shape of your displacements (the former is probably easier)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Poland Show Events

29. Post #4549
    Gold Member

December 2006
    234 Posts
    Only reason I made them displacements was to take advantage of the paintable alpha textures. What would you recommend I do to achieve the same results? Is there a way to make the displacements work for this application?

30. Post #4550
    December 2014
    217 Posts
    Have a filter_activator_name that the trigger looks at. In that filter type in "hurtable" as the filter target.

Now in the output of the trigger have the following commands:

Onstartouch > !activator > addoutput > targetname hurtable > (how many seconds to delay)

Onendtouch > !activator > addoutput > targetname none > 0
    If you stop touching it, it will still rename you, after the delay.
    A safer way is doing it with a logic_relay:
    OnTrigger > !activator > AddOutput > targetname hurtable > Delay = WhatYouWant

Your trigger would do:
    OnStartTouch > logic relay name > Trigger
    OnEndTouch > logic relay name > CancelPending > > Delay = 0
    OnEndTouch > !activator > AddOutput > targetname none > Delay = 0

So if you endtouch the trigger, it cancel the relay before it can rename you to hurtable.

Im not sure if it work Client-Sided. So canceling the relay only cancel it for the current !activator, or all players who triggered the relay ? You gotta test, and see if that work correctly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete iPad Safari France Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #4551

November 2016
    31 Posts
    Some weird problem I don't understand. I've tried working on a few maps before and this has never been an issue.

Basically my lighting is completely disfunctional. I've tried creating a small box map, putting a light in it and it's fullbright no matter what. I've tried adding a light_env, a skybox partly covering it etc etc, and the only progress I've gotten is everything turns completely black, and even the light doesn't work.

Definitely no leaks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events

32. Post #4552
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    2,535 Posts
    After a quick test this seems to be the best method (red is displacement, green is world brush)

Just remember not to make any inwards-oriented faces displacements
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Poland Show Events

33. Post #4553

June 2017
    2 Posts
    Hey, I've been trying to make my first map for gmod and ran into an issue with an env_fire. I want to make it so that the fire can be toggled on and off by use of a button. However, when I put "Extinguish" for the "Via this input" option for a func_button, it does not actually extinguish the flame. The only way I've found for it to actually work and extinguish the flame is to do "Disable" instead, however to make it come back on even with a separate button "Enable" will not bring the fire back. I know that the target entity named is correct, so that can't be the issue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events

34. Post #4554
    October 2009
    1,206 Posts
    Hey, I've been trying to make my first map for gmod and ran into an issue with an env_fire. I want to make it so that the fire can be toggled on and off by use of a button. However, when I put "Extinguish" for the "Via this input" option for a func_button, it does not actually extinguish the flame. The only way I've found for it to actually work and extinguish the flame is to do "Disable" instead, however to make it come back on even with a separate button "Enable" will not bring the fire back. I know that the target entity named is correct, so that can't be the issue.
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...nv_fire#Inputs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Croatia Show Events

35. Post #4555

June 2017
    2 Posts
    I've actually looked over that several times, googled the issue, looked up how to use func_buttons, and to no avail. It's like some of the inputs just don't even work. And I've created separate env_fire with a func_button and the output extinguish literally does nothing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events

36. Post #4556
    Gold Member

December 2006
    234 Posts
    After a quick test this seems to be the best method (red is displacement, green is world brush)

Just remember not to make any inwards-oriented faces displacements
    I like this fix! I can't believe I didn't think of that. The world brushes were all going to be the solid color anyways, so it works out great. Great idea man. I ended up destroying the displacements and adding overlays, but this is much better. With this new method, only the front-face will be using displacements.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #4557
    October 2009
    1,206 Posts
    I've actually looked over that several times, googled the issue, looked up how to use func_buttons, and to no avail. It's like some of the inputs just don't even work. And I've created separate env_fire with a func_button and the output extinguish literally does nothing.
    Try disabling it, then later both first enabling it and then start fire
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Croatia Show Events

38. Post #4558
    October 2009
    1,206 Posts
    bump
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

39. Post #4559
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,206 Posts
    Is there a way to delete content within a BSP? I currently have a map that has too much content to upload to the workshop, and I want to pack the materials into a separate addon. Currently, the map is automatically packed using CompilePal, so ideally I'd prefer to pick and choose materials to remove.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Show Events

40. Post #4560
    October 2009
    1,206 Posts
    Most of the standalone content packers can be used to remove content. Also afaik it should be possible to rename the .bsp to a .zip and freely access the files inside, but i'm not sure if it will work properly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Croatia Show Events