1. Post #4641
    December 2014
    218 Posts
    while looking at the VDC entry for Areaportals I noticed this picture:

--

It looks like the Areaportal here is made up of multiple brushes and doesnt actually touch brushes all around. Is this a thing or am I just looking at it wrong ?
    it might just be 3 (or 4) different areaportal around the building. so they probably dont leak
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome France Show Events

2. Post #4642
    October 2015
    420 Posts
    it might just be 3 (or 4) different areaportal around the building. so they probably dont leak
    so if I make a box from areaportals it will work ? i thought they only work when the are inside a hole in a wall.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events

3. Post #4643
    October 2009
    1,211 Posts
    Thats not how area portals work at all. They have to seal an area. This area can be defined exclusively by area portals or in combination with world brushes.

The mistake people often make is they place an area portal for every window etc. This is bad for performance reasons, but the engine fixes this by automatically merging all area portals on the same plane

Edited:

Also don't always trust valve maps. They sometimes did some stuff that can be considered pretty stupid
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Safari Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4644
    Buttes
    May 2005
    836 Posts
    This picture shows a prime example of where using func_detail is a really good idea. Assuming that the building on the left with the rounded windows has 1 giant brush for all of the non-window bits, the rounded windows should be made into func_details. They don't contribute much to visblocking, but they sure do split visleafs horribly, and thus, increase your compile times.

The building on the right has a rounded part too, which also does almost nothing for visblocking, and is a good candidate for func_detail.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #4645
    October 2015
    420 Posts
    Thats not how area portals work at all. They have to seal an area. This area can be defined exclusively by area portals or in combination with world brushes.

The mistake people often make is they place an area portal for every window etc. This is bad for performance reasons, but the engine fixes this by automatically merging all area portals on the same plane

Edited:

Also don't always trust valve maps. They sometimes did some stuff that can be considered pretty stupid
    Yes I know that. That's why I was so confused by that image
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Germany Show Events

6. Post #4646
    March 2014
    1,098 Posts

Ok, so, I know this is a texture compression problem because I've heard of it before in this thread, but I'm wondering if I could fix it by compressing one texture in the same way as the other one.

1: How would I tell what kind of compression it uses.
    2: Would it be as easy to fix as using VTFEdit or do I need to do something more?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events

7. Post #4647
    August 2013
    612 Posts
    Source doesn't like large func_precipitation volumes, it seems. How can I cover a large area with rain without running into issues?
    Cut your precipitation volumes into equal squares if you don't want to make a particle. But you should follow Rocketsurgery's advice, a particle probably would be smarter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events

8. Post #4648
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,719 Posts
    Make a new material for the bottom one, I just called it plasterwall017c_fix

Code:
    "LightmappedGeneric"
    {
    	"$basetexture" "Plaster/plasterwall017c"
    	"$surfaceprop"  "plaster"
    	"$detail" "detail\plaster_detail_01"
    	"$detailscale" "6.783"
    	"$detailblendfactor" .8
    	"$detailblendmode" "0"

"%keywords" "c17downtown"
    }
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

9. Post #4649

July 2016
    28 Posts

trying to use $envmap to make a second skybox in a map but it shows up as missing textures. console says "Error reading material data" for the texture.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events

10. Post #4650
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    11,719 Posts
    I dont think you can use $envmap as a skybox texture. Probably try making a 3d skybox with the textures mapped to a brush near the skybox faces. and utilize the 2d sky texture to differentiate the two skies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Chrome United States Show Events

11. Post #4651
    October 2009
    1,211 Posts
    trying to use $envmap to make a second skybox in a map but it shows up as missing textures. console says "Error reading material data" for the texture.
    Well not a surprise. The envmap command doesn't accept a skybox texture setup. You need to use a cubemap vtf texture for that. Those can be captured as normal and then extracted from the .bsp file
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Safari Croatia Show Events

12. Post #4652

July 2016
    28 Posts
    Well not a surprise. The envmap command doesn't accept a skybox texture setup. You need to use a cubemap vtf texture for that. Those can be captured as normal and then extracted from the .bsp file
    I made a custom cubemap texture by following the tutorial on the VDC $envmap page.

13. Post #4653
    October 2009
    1,211 Posts
    Then you obviously did something wrong while making the texture.

Edited:

You need to post more info if you want people to be able to help you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Croatia Show Events

14. Post #4654
    October 2010
    218 Posts
    relevant :

i encountered the same problem as you and i solved it by using VTEX to convert the skybox images into an envmap instead of VTFedit. try that and see if it works

also something else ... you need two extra envmaps that are the skybox envmap you want to use but with one mirrored and the other rotated upside down. trying to use just the normal envmap for all 6 faces of your skybox will result in it looking fucked. i think its because cubemaps are supposed to look like reflections so they automatically reverse/flip the texture depending on the reflective face's orientation but idk just a guess ..................................
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #4655

July 2016
    28 Posts
    I actually found out I had VTFEdit version 1.2.7 instead of 1.3.3 so I installed that and it works now

16. Post #4656
    May 2013
    241 Posts

Are my stairs shitty? If so anybody got any tips??

17. Post #4657
    November 2014
    1,959 Posts
    stairs should be 12x8 hu per step you can use the steps dev texture to work things out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events

18. Post #4658
    October 2015
    420 Posts
    Im using multiple "filter_activator_class" that disallow certain entity types (prop_physics, func_door etc).
    How would I go about adding multiple filters to one trigger_multiple ?

Edited:

ok its filter_multi.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events

19. Post #4659
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    931 Posts
    Is there a way to override an NPC's model? Lets say I want a metrocop replaced with a watermelon without replacing game files
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Turkey Show Events

20. Post #4660
    November 2014
    1,959 Posts
    you could try setting the npc's Render Mode to don't render and parent the watermelon to the npc attachment point so you only see the watermelon
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events

21. Post #4661
    October 2009
    1,211 Posts
    Is there a way to override an NPC's model? Lets say I want a metrocop replaced with a watermelon without replacing game files
    Why would you want to do that???
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Safari Croatia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #4662
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    931 Posts
    Why would you want to do that???
    I just gave a quick example, what I really want to do is add a modded metrocop alongside a regular one, ideally both animated

Just to add an extent of verity

23. Post #4663
    October 2009
    1,211 Posts
    That changes your issue completely because a melon would obviously not be animated.

Heres the only thing you can try:
    - turn off smart edit and add a "model" key value pointing to any test model

This definitely works for citizens and combine soldiers, Im not sure about metro cops tho

Edited:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...alog#SmartEdit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Safari Croatia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #4664
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    492 Posts
    stairs should be 12x8 hu per step you can use the steps dev texture to work things out
    Yes, 12x8 for most textures without resizing. Actual size doesn't matter so long as it fits the VDC Dimensions for maximum height a player can step up on without jumping.

Make a nodraw box below the stairs, and func_detail the stairs.
    You are drawing massive amounts of visleafs with those stairs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

25. Post #4665
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    2,575 Posts
    Also that central landing doesn't need to be made of twelve thousand brushes, just make a cylinder and cut it to fit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events

26. Post #4666
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    111 Posts
    I'm looking for different maps with high quality shaders that I can load up and walk around in. I know I can do this with HL2 maps I find around, though it has been many years since I have played with the source engine and these things.

I'm wondering if there are similar resources for CSGO that have a higher quality. Also seeking maps that don't have enemies, just something explorable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Chrome United States Show Events

27. Post #4667
    October 2009
    1,211 Posts
    Many CS:GO maps have been ported to Garry's mod, those are some of the best maps around for exploring

Also Resistance and Liberation maps
    And neotokyo maps
    Many of the old GMS maps too. They are really chill but not very high quality
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #4668

April 2014
    114 Posts
    Has anyone here done any mapping work for Insurgency? I'm coming across an issue with cubemaps and the glass texture the game uses for everything (usually used for breakable_surf).

When compiling a map with both cubemaps and the ins_glass_02 texture, vbsp stops responding and crashes on "fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides..."; however, the map compiles fine with either cubemaps or the glass texture on their own.

I decided to extract the vmt and vtf and they both seem pretty basic:

Material:
    Code:
    "LightmappedGeneric"
    {
    	"$basetexture" "glass/ins_glass_02"
    	"$envmap" "env_cubemap"
    	"$surfaceprop" "glass"
    	"$envmaptint" "[.2 .15 .15]"
    	"$translucent" 1
    // required for dx6+7 specular
    //	"$multipass" 1
    	"$nocull" 1
    	"$crackmaterial" "glass/ins_glass_02break"
    }
    Texture:

I'm just curious if anyone knows the cause of a crash on this step or if anyone else has encountered this in other games and knows of a solution.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events

29. Post #4669
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    931 Posts
    -snip works fine-

30. Post #4670

January 2012
    41 Posts

How do I get rid of these weird shadows on prop_static?

31. Post #4671
    December 2007
    400 Posts
    How do I get rid of these weird shadows on prop_static?
    Per-vertex lighting can occasionally cause these oddities. I suggest setting the "Disable vertex lighting" option to Yes on those props in order to use origin-based lighting. It's less accurate, but it should look more uniform.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #4672

November 2016
    31 Posts
    Are visclusters good to get rid of a lot of the blue lines when hint brushes aren't doing the job very well? Or are visclusters inefficient or something.

Sorry for the bad terminology, don't really know the name for them

EDIT: You wouldn't call the lines themselves visleafs right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events

33. Post #4673
    November 2014
    1,959 Posts
    Are visclusters good to get rid of a lot of the blue lines when hint brushes aren't doing the job very well? Or are visclusters inefficient or something.

are you using the skip texture on the face thats touchng a brush and the hint texture on the face thats not ? visclusters are used to tell vvis to skip doing calculations in the area where the func_viscluster brush is, it doesn't offer any opimisation benifits thou like a skip/hint occular or area_potal brush would

EDIT: to see visleafs in hammer do Map > Load Portal File. or to see them in game do Console, mat_leafvis 3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #4674

November 2016
    31 Posts
    I've got the hint texture on where the lines are coming from:

I've basically been trying to OCD away as many of the lines as possible, while keeping a reasonable amount for rendering (I think) and it seemed like viscluster was doing a heaps good job at that

EDIT: Also is there a way to fix the low quality live-rendering?:

is meant to say 'hint' -.-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events

35. Post #4675
    November 2014
    1,959 Posts
    the quality could be due to you needing to update grx drivers or the scale of the texture isn't 0.25, to stop the blue line coming out from the building put skip/hint on the front and sides and the roofs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #4676
    October 2015
    420 Posts

You should not "get rid of" visleafs. they have a very important task. If you have too many visleafs there is something wrong in the begin with. Hint is for manually telling vbsp where to cut a leaf so you can control how the world is rendered at a given location. func_visclusters should only ever be used for massive outdoor areas where the 1024 fixed visleaf size produces lots of new leafs.

I suggest watching this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swBfUW-Bsxs
    Its a long video but after it everything is covered.

For Visclusters this is helpful:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds5E7HBQ-nU&t=4s

Note that its always more important to respect the previous methods and never trade compile time with a loss of ingame performance

This is a good example of someone cleaning up a map:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrKjmqD8NlA

Hope this helps :)

Edited:
    im a bit late here but assuming youre trying to do this in gmod any working playermodel will work on npcs as far as I can tell :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #4677
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,563 Posts
    -snap nevermind-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 10 Chrome Norway Show Events

38. Post #4678
    September 2011
    724 Posts
    I can't seem to remember how to move a brush by half a unit? I think it was in a big post about a bunch of little-known Hammer shortcuts but I can't find it now.

39. Post #4679
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    2,575 Posts
    Ctrl-m is the transform tool (translate, rotate, scale) shortcut
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events

40. Post #4680
    September 2011
    724 Posts
    Ctrl-m is the transform tool (translate, rotate, scale) shortcut
    That I was aware of, I was just sure there was a button you could hold down while manipulating brushes to move them half a unit.