1. Post #4401
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,461 Posts
    It feels like someone read up on Euron between episodes.

He's gone like a full 180 in character to what he's supposed to act like
    Some people have been pointing out that each scene Euron has been in, he's been presenting himself differently.

Bridge intro: Insane and creepy Euron
    King's Moot: Asshole macho man Euron
    Red Keep: Snarky charming Euron
    Ambush: Berserk Euron

I think Euron changing his act each time is intentional, his moot scene sucked but every other scene so far has been good. I wish he was always like the bridge part because that's how book Euron is but I'm cool with chameleon Euron if it keeps up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

2. Post #4402
    November 2012
    6,240 Posts
    It was the exact opposite of that in this episode,    Sansa being against working with Tyrion and Daenerys for stupid reasons, and Jon explaining why it was necessary   
    What are you talking about
    [S07, EP02]

Actually, Sansa brings to the table legitimate political concerns about not going to the meeting. The people of Westeros don't know about Tyrion's face turn yet, so the Northeners have every reason to object their King going to meet with a powerful Lannister figure who could as well be preparing a trap (remember that Jon just recived a very, shall we say, polite message from Queen Cersei LANNISTER about bending the knee before her or perish). At the same time, Danaerys is a Targaryen, and we have been given plenty of reminders that nobles and peasant alike in Westeros still think the Targaryen are tirannical nutjobs with an habit of killing potential rivals and their whole families just for kicks (remember the Mad King, who is the last Targaryen everyone "experienced" in the land before the ruin of his house). By all accounts, meeting one of them wouldn't be advisable.

Jon, on the other hand, keeps insisting that the Great War to come is everything that matters and is worth of pushing aside every political and civil war matters at hand if it means the North can have a powerful ally against the army of the White Walkers (not mentioning the natural resources he needs for his plan out of Dragonstone, which is currently under Daenery's control) 

I understand that me calling Jon's position as "idealistic" may be a big stretch, but it fits nonetheless, in my opinion
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

3. Post #4403
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    13,784 Posts
    Yeah, I don't agree with Sansa, but consider her perspective. Along with the fact that her character is supposed to be, what, fifteen now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

4. Post #4404
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,461 Posts
       Actually, Sansa brings to the table legitimate, political concernes about not going to the meeting: the people of Westeros sure don't know about Tyrion's face turn, so the Northeners have every reason to object their King going to meet with a powerful Lannister figure who could as well be preparing a trap. At the same time, Danaerys is a Targaryen, and we have been giving plenty of reminders that nobles and peasant alike still think the Targaryen are tirannical nutjobs, so meeting one of them wouldn't be advisable either.

Jon, on the other hand, keeps insisting that the Great War to come is everything that matter, and is worth of pushing aside every political and civil war matters at hand if it means the North can have a powerful ally against the army of the White Walkers. 

I understand that me calling Jon's position as "idealistic" may be a big stretch, but it fits nonetheless, in my opinion
    Yeah. Jon's desperate for good reason but the other characters don't know shit.

It'll be like if Trump insisted on meeting ISIS on his own to convince them to help him fight a army of ghosts coming from Greenland, simply because Marcon is with them and sent him a letter saying they are totally not bad guys and that he should come.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 4 (list)

5. Post #4405
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,435 Posts
    anyone else feel like a lot of the buildup & reveals last ep were pretty wonky?

eg
       how to kill dragons: a regular old ballista
    dragonscale: some forgotten ointment
    euron's gift: a bunch of characters i have a hard time giving a fuck about 

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

6. Post #4406
    September 2012
    4,184 Posts

eg

That ballista bolt was fired from what, like 30 meters away at most? And directly into the skull? Those are ideal conditions to say the least in any battlefield, nevermind that a) the skull doesn't have scales on it, which are supposed to be really hard; b) dragons fly, and they fly fast, and they fly high up, good luck landing a square shot on a fast moving, high up target [I]at an angle.[/I] Also, the one time in known history something as mundane as a ballista killed a dragon it was a lucky eye shot.

I agree with you on the ointment, but who knows how much of a stopgap measure that may be revealed to be in the future.

Don't forget that regardless of how shitty they are as characters, it was the Sand Snakes that killed Myrcella, so Cersei has a pretty direct beef with them.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #4407
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,435 Posts
    true, i was convinced he was going to    kidnap tyrion or roofie a dragon or something tho so \_(ツ)_/   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #4408
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    2,090 Posts

eg

But dragonscale is one of those diseases in-universe where (at least in the show, idk much about the books) they don't even bother really curing it, instead they just throw them into the ruins of Valyria to turn into stone men/kill them outright. Shireen is probably the only case I can think of where someone was cured of it

I do feel like they could've handled it better, or explained it more thoroughly instead of just handwaving the    cure because the maester who invented it died of the disease he was trying to cure,   which sort of makes sense because the maesters seem wildly close-minded despite having the worlds greatest library vv

9. Post #4409
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,776 Posts
    But dragonscale is one of those diseases in-universe where (at least in the show, idk much about the books) they don't even bother really curing it, instead they just throw them into the ruins of Valyria to turn into stone men/kill them outright. Shireen is probably the only case I can think of where someone was cured of it
       Also the other cases mentioned in the episode   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #4410
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    8,097 Posts
       I mean it seems really dumb on the surface but when you think back to our own history, some diseases had cures that have been in front of us the whole time, such as mold and penicillin.

Speaking of which, they didn't have antibiotics meaning most people would probably die from bacterial infection by peeling off skin like that on top of the dangers of being infected by greyscale ones self. It just isn't worth it for commoner trash in their eyes. Most people like knights and nobels are secured or well equipped enough that they wouldn't ever get infected by greyscale 

11. Post #4411
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,461 Posts
    People didn't wash their hands before peforming medical shit untill the mid 1800s.

The guy who suggested it might help prevent bad stuff was mocked into suicide before people found out he was right. Medieval medience was also a joke, if you had a headache they'll crack your skull open to try and fix it. It's honestly not that far fetched.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #4412
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    5,604 Posts
    It was a bit of a shame that they wrapped up a pretty significant part of the lore in such an underwhelming manner, though.     Greyscale never played a huge part of the story, but a disease that's so dangerous and at one point prevalent that all the Houses have established a disease-dumping ground for the afflicted for the common good stands out among the rest of the diseases in GoT. I always got the impression that was something more to Greyscale than there was to other mundane infections and diseases. I guess not though, the cure was cracked all along, it was just kept away by those pesky maesters!    

It's a detail I would only put any thought into because I'm sure that it will be different in the books. How the show has handled it already feels like a simplification of a note GRRM left the writers.

13. Post #4413
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,272 Posts
    It was a bit of a shame that they wrapped up a pretty significant part of the lore in such an underwhelming manner, though.     Greyscale never played a huge part of the story, but a disease that's so dangerous and at one point prevalent that all the Houses have established a disease-dumping ground for the afflicted for the common good stands out among the rest of the diseases in GoT. I always got the impression that was something more to Greyscale than there was to other mundane infections and diseases. I guess not though, the cure was cracked all along, it was just kept away by those pesky maesters!    

It's a detail I would only put any thought into because I'm sure that it will be different in the books. How the show has handled it already feels like a simplification of a note GRRM left the writers.
       I think the risk of contracting greyscale while treating it is so great, it's not worth it. You need specialized equipment most houses probably don't have.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #4414
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    3,743 Posts
    I wish the    "Jorah has greyscale"    story went a bit closer to [general books spoilers]    Victarion Greyjoy rather than Jon Connington, maybe ending up with a permanent black, stony arm   

feel like if he comes out just scarred of clean it would be lame,    also I just wanna see jorah walking around with a stone arm lmao   

Edited:

I know that Victarion    gains his arm from a red priest "healing" his wounded hand and not from greyscale, but Jon has been given Stannis' entire story so why the fuck not?   

15. Post #4415
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    22,239 Posts

being as in the books    Jon Connington has the greyscale instead of Jorah, presumably greyscale was set up to be explored in-depth in Aegon VI's plotline. probably the same reason Barristan Selmy was so pointless too, and may be why the Tyrells turned out the way they did. all their resolutions were with a character who never appeared.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #4416
    You're a big guy.
    January 2011
    6,643 Posts
       I think the risk of contracting greyscale while treating it is so great, it's not worth it. You need specialized equipment most houses probably don't have.   
    but you just KNOW that     Sam won't get it lmao, even if he does, he can just cure himself. pointless.    

17. Post #4417
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,272 Posts
    but you just KNOW that     Sam won't get it lmao, even if he does, he can just cure himself. pointless.    
       Why would he be able to cure himself? Fairly sure it's nearly impossible to flay yourself, let alone do whatever comes after it.   

18. Post #4418
    You're a big guy.
    January 2011
    6,643 Posts
       Why would he be able to cure himself? Fairly sure it's nearly impossible to flay yourself, let alone do whatever comes after it.   
    ???
        he could get someone else to peel the dead skin and then pour the salve on it, its not hard lmao. or as the archmaester said, you can cut off the infected limb and it'll stop the spread. it starts off in fingers usually so    

19. Post #4419
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,272 Posts
    ???
        he could get someone else to peel the dead skin and then pour the salve on it, its not hard lmao. or as the archmaester said, you can cut off the infected limb and it'll stop the spread. it starts off in fingers usually so    
       And then you'll have to find a maester that wants to be flayed. It usually starts in the fingers because that's the part that often touches greyscale. Sam is covered from neck to toe, the only part exposed is his head. Good luck cutting off a head and living.   

20. Post #4420
    Gold Member
    July 2013
    1,298 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

21. Post #4421
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    20,506 Posts
    god emilia clarke is not a good actress.

I would've excused it with the role she has to play but I saw her in Terminator too and it was bad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)