1. Post #2681
    May 2014
    389 Posts
    Hello, what is best way to do code multiplayer in Unity? I want multiplayer to be like in CS:GO. I want to do MP, where:
    - server is authoritative,
    - players only send commands where they want to go (WASD), server simulates and corrects players
    - client-side prediction
    - lag compensation, server simulates for each player

Any suggestions? Would appreciate any links to assets/libraries/tutorials.
    It's been a few days so I'm not sure if you've already found a solution, but the built-in Unity networking seems like it would work for you. Have you checked it out much?

2. Post #2682
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,441 Posts
    Hello, what is best way to do code multiplayer in Unity? I want multiplayer to be like in CS:GO. I want to do MP, where:
    - server is authoritative,
    - players only send commands where they want to go (WASD), server simulates and corrects players
    - client-side prediction
    - lag compensation, server simulates for each player

Any suggestions? Would appreciate any links to assets/libraries/tutorials.
    This is basically the 'default' multiplayer configuration. I think you'll find that nearly all popular plugins to be suitable, or simply use Unity's UNET.

3. Post #2683
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    7,745 Posts
    Thinking about doing something like this but open source
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/3931

Wondering about turning a font into a mesh and how much effort that is.

4. Post #2684
    June 2010
    192 Posts
    Just in case anyone isn't aware already, Unite keynote will begin in less than an hour.

5. Post #2685
    June 2010
    192 Posts
    Wow, that keynote. I almost regret posting it. It's been nothing more than "here are some features that will come sometime soon possibly I don't know."

And "This is a $30 game, we need to make it free to play, How can I make money on it?"

They forgot to mention that cloud build and collaborate will not be free anymore (after October it'll be 9$/month).

6. Post #2686
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    2,332 Posts
    The networking solution Forge Networking Remastered became open source a few days ago.
    https://github.com/BeardedManStudios...kingRemastered

So that's neat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

7. Post #2687
    July 2014
    3,927 Posts
    The networking solution Forge Networking Remastered became open source a few days ago.
    https://github.com/BeardedManStudios...kingRemastered

So that's neat.
    sarge997 is this better than Unitys native API?

8. Post #2688
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    2,332 Posts
    I haven't used UNet enough to properly say.
    Only time I've used UNet was a year or two ago, when it was relatively new, and by new, I mean it was full of bugs.

That's not saying Forge doesn't have problems either, I'm sure it has plenty, but at least now since it's open source, it should be improved quite fast?
    I'd say it's worth trying at least, if you're looking for a networking solution.

9. Post #2689
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,837 Posts
    sarge997 is this better than Unitys native API?
    an often forgotten feature is the fact that it's open-source. if you have trouble understanding why something is not working right you'll be able to step line-by-line and possibly modify it if it doesn't work the way you'd like.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #2690
    July 2014
    3,927 Posts
    With open source thing I agree deeply. Also documentation is not that bad at all.