1. Post #4761

August 2013
    26 Posts
    Anyone else got frozen startup menu sometimes after wake up ?

2. Post #4762
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    6,011 Posts
    Came back from a week long trip, with my PC unplugged the entire time.

My PC automagically turned from Windows 10 Pro (migrated from W7 Pro) to Windows 10 Enterprise on a nonexistent workgroup, and then deactivated itself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

3. Post #4763
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    14,184 Posts
    Came back from a week long trip, with my PC unplugged the entire time.

My PC automagically turned from Windows 10 Pro (migrated from W7 Pro) to Windows 10 Enterprise on a nonexistent workgroup, and then deactivated itself.
    Hack the Planet
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4764
    January 2013
    747 Posts
    Alright, I've formatted my computer and I am automatically on the latest W10 update, which is part of the Creator's Update, which causes framerate problems on some games I play. How can I install a previous non-Creators Update?

5. Post #4765
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    14,184 Posts
    Alright, I've formatted my computer and I am automatically on the latest W10 update, which is part of the Creator's Update, which causes framerate problems on some games I play. How can I install a previous non-Creators Update?
    You did remove the game bar right?

Edited:

Pretty sure the only official way to download old versions is with an MSDN account. The usual website and media creator will return the latest version of windows.

Which means finding a source that serves isos, and hasn't been taken down by the legal team
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #4766
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    4,153 Posts
    I have an ISO for 1607, PM me

7. Post #4767
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,078 Posts
    I've uploaded the latest build here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/soft...load/windows10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #4768
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    4,153 Posts
    IMO 1511 was the best version. Anyone have an ISO of that?

9. Post #4769
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,078 Posts
    IMO 1511 was the best version. Anyone have an ISO of that?
    I have 1511 N but that's not going to be much use I imagine.

10. Post #4770
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    4,256 Posts
    It's such horseshit that you need to do the upgrade thing from 8 to 10 all over again when doing a fresh install (also tried phone verification, didn't work). Got a new key via my uni for 10 euros and just used that one, but man this shouldn't be necessary at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #4771
    January 2013
    747 Posts
    I have an ISO for 1607, PM me
    Thanks, but I've found one when looking on google, surprisingly it was one of the first results. No more stuttering for me!

12. Post #4772
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,694 Posts
    It's such horseshit that you need to do the upgrade thing from 8 to 10 all over again when doing a fresh install (also tried phone verification, didn't work). Got a new key via my uni for 10 euros and just used that one, but man this shouldn't be.
    I've reused my license before, it was a different mobo too so Windows saw it as a entirely different computer. During install I just skipped entering the serial key. After install I logged in with my Microsoft account. Sure enough it started complaining about activation errors, but they linked to a troubleshooting tool that showed all machines I have activated, and I could deactivate the old mobo from right there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #4773
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    4,256 Posts
    Oh I see, I googled plenty though and did not encounter anything like that. Seems like they do like to make it as difficult as possible, to a great success because they got me to buy a new key :/

14. Post #4774
    June 2008
    1,374 Posts
    Anyone else with a lumia having tons of issues since the creators update?

• Everything seems to take more memory (or maybe the OS itself is using up more memory, leaving less for the apps), so I'm constantly waiting for apps to resume. Even the start screen has to unload its icons to free up memory.
    • Animations (especially in Edge) seem glitchy, partially rendering frames in random order.
    • Edge likes to randomly reload pages now, and always reloads when playing a video for a few minutes, I'm assuming due to crashing or running out of memory.
    • Edge likes to sometimes break entirely when it runs out of memory, you can't switch tabs or close tabs. Have to just close the app and re-open it, which loses all your open tabs.
    • Full screen video causes the screen to flicker sometimes, and opening and closing the notifications tray seems to fix it, but causes the video to have the same glitchyness as animations for a few seconds.

Really hate that you can't rollback to the previous version like on desktop. The previous version worked perfectly, and the creators update doesn't even have any features on mobile anyway, so all it did was break everything.

15. Post #4775
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,820 Posts
    FYI both Spotify and Soundcloud now have their official apps up in the Windows Store (desktop)

16. Post #4776
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    14,184 Posts
    FYI both Spotify and Soundcloud now have their official apps up in the Windows Store (desktop)
    just having a video splash screen feels so alien
    It feels like good design.

Websites do it a fair bit, but in the minimal interface of UWP, mixed with the pristine colour grading,
    getting a feeling I've never felt from desktop applications before
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #4777
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    3,505 Posts
    Hey guys,

I'm sure you got this question a bunch of times already. Is upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 worth it? Are there any new features or advantages in doing so? I'm perfectly happy with Windows 7 as it is, but I'd like to play some Windows 10 exlusive games (mainly Sea of Thieves) in the future, so I guess it's time to start thinking about it.

18. Post #4778
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,069 Posts
    Hey guys,

I'm sure you got this question a bunch of times already. Is upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 worth it? Are there any new features or advantages in doing so? I'm perfectly happy with Windows 7 as it is, but I'd like to play some Windows 10 exlusive games (mainly Sea of Thieves) in the future, so I guess it's time to start thinking about it.
    If your windows 7 installation works fine and you have no complaints, then changing to Windows 10 would just be a fair amount of extra effort backing data up, reinstalling programs, and et cetera for not all that much tangible benefit.

Basic usage is pretty much exactly the same. The Win10 feature that I feel makes the biggest difference for all people is display scaling, if you have something like a 4k 24" monitor or a laptop with a 1440p screen (Windows 7 is really poor in that kind of setup).

Otherwise it's mostly just more modern aesthetics unless you're a poweruser. Upgrade to Win10 once you get around to upgrading your PC and monitor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #4779
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    235 Posts
    If your windows 7 installation works fine and you have no complaints, then changing to Windows 10 would just be a fair amount of extra effort backing data up, reinstalling programs, and et cetera for not all that much tangible benefit.

Basic usage is pretty much exactly the same. The Win10 feature that I feel makes the biggest difference for all people is display scaling, if you have something like a 4k 24" monitor or a laptop with a 1440p screen (Windows 7 is really poor in that kind of setup).

Otherwise it's mostly just more modern aesthetics unless you're a poweruser. Upgrade to Win10 once you get around to upgrading your PC and monitor.
    Don't forget that Windows 10 is supposed to be more secure than previous versions.

20. Post #4780
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    14,184 Posts
    Don't forget that Windows 10 is supposed to be more secure than previous versions.
    An operating system is as secure as you configure it to be
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #4781
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    4,153 Posts
    What a load of bullshit, Windows is as insecure as ever. 10’s Windows Defender is the same as MS Security Essentials for XP/7. You should ALWAYS back that up with an additional AV, Malwarebytes, adblockers hostfiles etc.

Edited:

We are attempting to push 10 Enterprise out in the next year or two at work, but there’s so much shit in the way. Remember that whole thing with the huge emoji saying Skype is updated? That’s happening on Enterprise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #4782
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    235 Posts
    An operating system is as secure as you configure it to be
    There are certainly security features that must be baked into the OS. An example is ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomization), which is not something you can just configure to be on or off, afaik. Note that ASLR is not something new in Windows 10. I am just using it as an example.

Some of the new Windows 10 stuff is listed here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-in-windows-10

There is a LOT more to OS security than antivirus and adblockers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Vivaldi Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #4783
    ask me for a rust key :~)
    December 2008
    22,618 Posts
    Hey guys,

virtual desktops are fun

24. Post #4784
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    11,785 Posts
    Actually the ability to mount ISOs natively is ballin'.

Technically a Windows 8 feature but still an advantage over 7.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #4785
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    4,153 Posts
    I haven't had a laptop that handles Windows 10's touchpad gestures well, would they ever stack up to, say, OS X, even if the touchpad was good?

26. Post #4786
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    11,785 Posts
    I haven't had a laptop that handles Windows 10's touchpad gestures well, would they ever stack up to, say, OS X, even if the touchpad was good?
    They work mostly fairly well, I only use a few like the 3 fingers swipe up and back/forwards. The ASUS touchpad works well, but the software that drives it has weird stability issues and isn't standard like Synaptics.

27. Post #4787
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    14,184 Posts
    Surface keyboard does it nicely still

28. Post #4788
    FUN
    POLICE
    I am incapable
    of understanding
    anything related
    to humor
    PLEASE IGNORE MY
    OBLIVIOUS POSTS
    November 2008
    24,542 Posts
    Anyone else's edge browser just lock up and not work? I can use the search bar but I can't move the window or do anything on web pages. A restart fixes it but this has happened constantly.

29. Post #4789
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    14,184 Posts
    Anyone else's edge browser just lock up and not work? I can use the search bar but I can't move the window or do anything on web pages. A restart fixes it but this has happened constantly.
    which version of the operating system are you on?
    I remember most version of windows still have Edge versions only update on os upgrades
    I think this is changing (or has already changed..?) when rs3 comes out

30. Post #4790
    April 2017
    112 Posts
    Quick question: can I simply install Windows 10 Pro without a key, use it fully, and then buy the key in 30/90 days if I like the OS? I saw that Enterprise has a trial, but I don't see a way to buy it if I'm not a business. This is confusing. I could just install Win7 and enter product key later.

edit: I originally asked because most google results were from 2016, and I know that Win10 policies change a lot. I now found a thread from 2017 asking the same, and people answering that only some cosmetics and updates are restricted to the trial period. Is that right?

edit 2:
    This is the Pro edition, right?

31. Post #4791
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,078 Posts
    Quick question: can I simply install Windows 10 Pro without a key, use it fully, and then buy the key in 30/90 days if I like the OS? I saw that Enterprise has a trial, but I don't see a way to buy it if I'm not a business. This is confusing. I could just install Win7 and enter product key later.

edit: I originally asked because most google results were from 2016, and I know that Win10 policies change a lot. I now found a thread from 2017 asking the same, and people answering that only some cosmetics and updates are restricted to the trial period. Is that right?

edit 2:
    This is the Pro edition, right?
    Yeah 10 is the installer for 10 Home / Pro / Education, you choose during install. Click "I don't have a key" during install, there's no trial you'll lose OS customisation shortly after first log in (can't change theme colours, taskbar settings, wallpaper etc) but the OS will still function.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

32. Post #4792
    April 2017
    112 Posts
    Yeah 10 is the installer for 10 Home / Pro / Education, you choose during install. Click "I don't have a key" during install, there's no trial you'll lose OS customisation shortly after first log in (can't change theme colours, taskbar settings, wallpaper etc) but the OS will still function.
    Greetings from Windows 10

33. Post #4793
    Gold Member
    February 2014
    224 Posts
    The update bug from windows 8 is still on windows 10 so I had to wait for the next update to be able to update windows 10.

For those that don't understand what the 'update bug' is it's basically when it gets stuck at a certain percent and won't change no matter how long you wait.

34. Post #4794
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,168 Posts
    The update bug from windows 8 is still on windows 10 so I had to wait for the next update to be able to update windows 10.

For those that don't understand what the 'update bug' is it's basically when it gets stuck at a certain percent and won't change no matter how long you wait.
    I think it can happen for a few reasons, albeit the update progress indicator isn't great so definitely give it some time to see if it completes (I've had updates stick for around an hour if not longer). If not, then your best option is probably to do the cliché turn the pc off and turn it back on and try again.

35. Post #4795
    Gold Member
    February 2014
    224 Posts
    I think it can happen for a few reasons, albeit the update progress indicator isn't great so definitely give it some time to see if it completes (I've had updates stick for around an hour if not longer). If not, then your best option is probably to do the cliché turn the pc off and turn it back on and try again.
    I waiting 2 hours and it stayed at 34% the whole time so the only way I could use my computer was to turn it off my pressing the power button on the machine to avoid it starting the update.

It happens randomly for me and has happened on my old laptop as well so it's not an issue with my computer, does anyone else get this bug or know a fix?

36. Post #4796
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    7,436 Posts
    What the fuck is wrong with my taskbar, if it's set on auto-hide, as it always is, it'll appear under windows and is impossible to bring up (with mouse alone) if any program is in fullscreen

Seemed at first that only Firefox was being on top of the taskbar but now it takes the lowest priority always

37. Post #4797
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,078 Posts
    What the fuck is wrong with my taskbar, if it's set on auto-hide, as it always is, it'll appear under windows and is impossible to bring up (with mouse alone) if any program is in fullscreen

Seemed at first that only Firefox was being on top of the taskbar but now it takes the lowest priority always
    Auto hidden task bar is broke as shit, sometimes taking the program out of fullscreen, dragging it partially under the taskbar then right clicking the taskbar fixes. Then again sometimes it doesn't and only restarting the program unfucks it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #4798
    June 2008
    1,374 Posts
    Taskbar is broken as shit in general. Sometimes it will just go on top of all windows, even fullscreen ones. Even when you change it to hidden, the 2px visible bit is still on top of everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

39. Post #4799
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    7,436 Posts
    Auto hidden task bar is broke as shit, sometimes taking the program out of fullscreen, dragging it partially under the taskbar then right clicking the taskbar fixes. Then again sometimes it doesn't and only restarting the program unfucks it.
    It has served me well enough for the past twenty years or so. Even though this sort of issues are familiar, only now I seem to be at an impasse.

40. Post #4800
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    7,078 Posts
    It has served me well enough for the past twenty years or so. Even though this sort of issues are familiar, only now I seem to be at an impasse.
    Been broken ever since I started using it a couple of years ago though never bad enough to go back to less screen real estate.