1. Post #4801
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    11,737 Posts
    I waiting 2 hours and it stayed at 34% the whole time so the only way I could use my computer was to turn it off my pressing the power button on the machine to avoid it starting the update.

It happens randomly for me and has happened on my old laptop as well so it's not an issue with my computer, does anyone else get this bug or know a fix?
    Go through the typical Windows Update solution. Delete the software distribution folder and let it redownload the updates. Windows Update troubleshooter is actually useful too.

2. Post #4802
    Not another server
    August 2013
    1,584 Posts
    So I made a program to disable tracking and remove Windows bloatware if anyone is interested: https://github.com/aStonedPenguin/StopWindowsTracking
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #4803
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    13,910 Posts
    So I made a program to disable tracking and remove Windows bloatware if anyone is interested: https://github.com/aStonedPenguin/StopWindowsTracking
    One of many
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4804
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    4,248 Posts
    It's kinda sad that those programs have to exist in the first place...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Chrome Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #4805
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    19,661 Posts
    It's kinda sad that those programs have to exist in the first place...
    Sad doesn't cut it.

6. Post #4806
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,809 Posts
    OneDrive Files On-Demand. Access your files in the cloud without downloading and using storage space on your device. All your files, even online-only files, can be seen in File Explorer and work just like every other file on your device. (Build 16226)
    About fucking time MS brought this feature back (at least there's the "without downloading" perk now)

7. Post #4807
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    2,805 Posts
    Is there any way to index files without having SuperFecth and Windows Search constantly running in the background? I turned it off for performance but I like having certain hard drives indexed. Do I need to schedule a task to run the services only during certain times?

8. Post #4808
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    11,737 Posts
    Is there any way to index files without having SuperFecth and Windows Search constantly running in the background? I turned it off for performance but I like having certain hard drives indexed. Do I need to schedule a task to run the services only during certain times?
    If you aren't attached to Start menu search, you can use a program like "Everything" that will index entire filesystems very quickly. I use it at work for indexing massive file shares and takes about 30 seconds to go through hundreds of thousands of files.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #4809
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    13,910 Posts
    Changed 75% of my pc parts yesterday
    Windows didn't even bother about activation, it's tied to my Windows account.
    Old machine still works OK, even on different hardware, motherboard retained activation for now I guess

Looks like I was successfully able to abuse the system again

10. Post #4810
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    9,255 Posts
    Whatever Microsoft did in the latest update is fucking horrendous. Windows Explorer crashes all the time, computer doesn't resume from sleep (crashes or something while in sleep mode), random hangups, dramatically reduced write speeds in random folders... I thought my laptop was dying but all of our computers at work started having the same problems after updating.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

11. Post #4811
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    13,910 Posts
    Whatever Microsoft did in the latest update is fucking horrendous. Windows Explorer crashes all the time, computer doesn't resume from sleep (crashes or something while in sleep mode), random hangups, dramatically reduced write speeds in random folders... I thought my laptop was dying but all of our computers at work started having the same problems after updating.
    Blame shitty update procedures, it will work fine on a fresh install

12. Post #4812
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    1,735 Posts
    Microsoft has really fucked up something with one of the latest updates. (KB4032188 or KB4034674) My logitech and zboard drivers has stopped working after it was installed. I've been able to fix logitech drivers by downloading newer version but zboard is old as fuck and there is no new drivers for it. Best thing I've been able to come up with is get rid of this update and use this to make it not install again.

13. Post #4813
    Get your own DarkRP Server!
    January 2006
    7,476 Posts
    A recent Windows update reset my audio drivers to Dell's Realtek ones. I was painfully reminded that I had fucked with the drivers for a good reason.

Shit that the Official™ audio driver (for XPS 15 9530) does:

- Cause an extremely loud high pitched ear bleeding sound to play after basically any loud sound, like a pistol shot or someone shouting in a video. This noise will not stop until all sounds are stopped. Happens both when headphones are connected and on the speaker
    - A really annoying tick every second on headphones after a while of no sound playing.
    - General audio glitches

That shit's been there since the beginning, and I've had the god damn laptop replaced like three times for other stupid issues as well. This bullshit happened on all of them.

None of these audio problems exist on Linux. None of these audio problems exist when I manually override the drivers with generic Windows ones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #4814
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,346 Posts
    Due to all the bad press I am holding back from updating to the new creators update. Is that an ok idea?

15. Post #4815
    Bus Driver
    December 2009
    11,737 Posts
    Due to all the bad press I am holding back from updating to the new creators update. Is that an ok idea?
    The old version is still supported right now, so it's not inherently bad. Though whether or not you will have problems is an entirely different thing. I have had no issues, and many other people haven't either, and I have a PC that is running an install from when Windows 8 came out.

16. Post #4816
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    4,049 Posts
    Clean installs will have no problems most of the time. However that's a huge pain in the ass whenever MS updated it.

17. Post #4817
    October 2012
    234 Posts
    The delivery optimization service is still using 5-10 percent of my network at any given time even though I disabled peer-to-peer updates, are there any other settings I have to change to make it stop?

18. Post #4818
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,809 Posts
    Fluent Design in these preview builds has somehow taken an already inconsistent UI and made it 50x worse

19. Post #4819
    January 2016
    151 Posts
    Fluent Design in these preview builds has somehow taken an already inconsistent UI and made it 50x worse
    That's just how mircosoft works. If it aint broke, break it, then make it worse trying to fix it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #4820
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    4,049 Posts
    I want to see this

21. Post #4821
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    15,218 Posts
    Changed 75% of my pc parts yesterday
    Windows didn't even bother about activation, it's tied to my Windows account.
    Old machine still works OK, even on different hardware, motherboard retained activation for now I guess

Looks like I was successfully able to abuse the system again
    I upgraded to ryzen from an old 1366 socket i7 and windows didn't even bat an eye.

22. Post #4822
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,809 Posts

23. Post #4823
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    4,049 Posts
    I upgraded to ryzen from an old 1366 socket i7 and windows didn't even bat an eye.
    That’s funny.
    I switched from 1151->1151 and it FREAKED, losing activation, blue screen etc
    They were both ASRock

24. Post #4824
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    1,735 Posts
    I'm getting tired of UI inconsistencies in 10. And this is a retail build, I can't imagine what the hell is going on in preview builds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

25. Post #4825
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,087 Posts
    I think the thing that worries me more is it brings up questions as to how well written the code is on the backend if there are three (or more) different types of menu components. It feels like Microsoft build things on top of previous code, rather than rewriting the previous code or removing it and starting again
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Safari United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #4826
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    13,910 Posts
    That's just how mircosoft works. If it aint broke, break it, then make it worse trying to fix it.
    close
    if you want a promotion
    take something, even if it works fine, and update it

27. Post #4827
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,809 Posts
    I'm getting tired of UI inconsistencies in 10. And this is a retail build, I can't imagine what the hell is going on in preview builds.
    they've done a LITTLE more to unify jump lists but they're frustratingly still mismatched

28. Post #4828
    December 2014
    1,247 Posts
    I want to change to using a local account instead of a Microsoft account on my laptop that has Windows 10 Pro, but the "Switch to local account" option in Settings seems to be missing. Any ideas how else to switch to a local account then? I sure hope this is not some "you're here forever" BS.

29. Post #4829
    June 2008
    1,372 Posts
    Go to account settings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #4830
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,644 Posts
    is it normal for win10 update to fuck up my computer by making my video card undetectable?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Indonesia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #4831
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    13,910 Posts
    is it normal for win10 update to fuck up my computer by making my video card undetectable?
    Normal, no
    Will it happen though, YES

32. Post #4832
    December 2014
    1,247 Posts
    Go to account settings.
    What I meant is that "Sign in with a local account instead" is not there, if I was not clear enough...

33. Post #4833
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    13,910 Posts
    What I meant is that "Sign in with a local account instead" is not there, if I was not clear enough...
    Which version of windows 10 are you on?

34. Post #4834
    June 2008
    1,372 Posts
    Are you part of a domain, or otherwise have work/school accounts linked which would limit your settings?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #4835
    December 2014
    1,247 Posts
    Which version of windows 10 are you on?
    Windows 10 Pro, version 1703 (OS build 15063.540).
    Are you part of a domain, or otherwise have work/school accounts linked which would limit your settings?
    No. Just a Microsoft account.

36. Post #4836
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,809 Posts
    if it's a fresh install maybe just reinstall and pick local account during setup
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #4837
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    3,699 Posts
    How do I get my volume to stop getting set to 100 every time I boot? Accidentally deafening myself is getting slightly irritating.

38. Post #4838
    Gold Member
    December 2012
    13,910 Posts
    How do I get my volume to stop getting set to 100 every time I boot? Accidentally deafening myself is getting slightly irritating.
    This usually happens when windows detects it as a new device. I get this when I move my headset from my PC's USB ports to my monitor's ports

39. Post #4839
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    3,699 Posts
    This usually happens when windows detects it as a new device. I get this when I move my headset from my PC's USB ports to my monitor's ports
    I haven't been doing anything with my speaker chord, but this problem started when I bought another monitor w/ displayport, so I'll try disabling its audio and report back later.