1. Post #2921

February 2017
    25 Posts
    I placed my Overwatchmodel.exe next to my folder and tried to run it and I'm only get a command screen that blinks and disappears. ANy ideas?

Also, @CSgets, I love your renders a lot. I used to render game models to enhance them. Allow me to suggest creating SSS shaders for them, using HDR lighting and a Z-Depth pass for blurring and an AO pass. These elements will greatly enhance them. I will render them using Keyshot or Vray ;) and show you.
    my friend... did you read the wiki here: https://owdev.wiki/Tutorial/Extracting_with_OverTool

and also here: https://owdev.wiki/User:Yukimono/Toolchain

Please read them properly and understand it all first.

Wherever your OverTool files are, go to that folder and click in the address bar and type "cmd" to get the command line to open up at that location. Then use the commands that dynaomi posted above to get what you want.

Also make sure you use the updated Casclib otherwise you will get erros. A few posts up i believe.

2. Post #2922
    August 2010
    201 Posts
    my friend... did you read the wiki here: https://owdev.wiki/Tutorial/Extracting_with_OverTool

and also here: https://owdev.wiki/User:Yukimono/Toolchain

Please read them properly and understand it all first.

Wherever your OverTool files are, go to that folder and click in the address bar and type "cmd" to get the command line to open up at that location. Then use the commands that dynaomi posted above to get what you want.

Also make sure you use the updated Casclib otherwise you will get erros. A few posts up i believe.
    Thanks a lot, it keeps telling me cannot find files for language. I put in my command here: overtool.exe D:\Overwatch x D:\OverwatchExtract\OW_Extracted_Characters skin tracer
    and it says: Could not find the files for language enUS. Please confirm that you have that language installed, and are using the names from the target language. I tried typing in OverTool.exe -LdeDE C:\Overwatch t and it crashes

3. Post #2923

February 2017
    25 Posts
    Thanks a lot, it keeps telling me cannot find files for language. I put in my command here: overtool.exe D:\Overwatch x D:\OverwatchExtract\OW_Extracted_Characters skin tracer
    and it says: Could not find the files for language enUS. Please confirm that you have that language installed, and are using the names from the target language. I tried typing in OverTool.exe -LdeDE C:\Overwatch t and it crashes
    have you copeid over the new CascLib in your overtool directory? it can be found a few posts up.

4. Post #2924
    August 2010
    201 Posts
    have you copeid over the new CascLib in your overtool directory? it can be found a few posts up.
    That was the problem. Thank you very much. This is a great community. I have been gone for 8 years from this forum and I'm glad to see it's still a helpful place.

Is there a way to export as .obj?

5. Post #2925
    September 2016
    78 Posts
    That was the problem. Thank you very much. This is a great community. I have been gone for 8 years from this forum and I'm glad to see it's still a helpful place.

Is there a way to export as .obj?
    No, you'll have to open it in Blender (using the importer found on the wiki) and then you can export it to obj. However keep in mind that .obj's lose the skeleton and thus the ability to animate it. If you want to export it to some 'generic' 3d format then I recommend FBX.

6. Post #2926
    August 2010
    201 Posts
    No, you'll have to open it in Blender (using the importer found on the wiki) and then you can export it to obj. However keep in mind that .obj's lose the skeleton and thus the ability to animate it. If you want to export it to some 'generic' 3d format then I recommend FBX.
    Am I able to use the SMD importer for 3DS Max? Also the file I'm trying to import is called 0000000006F2_refpose.smd Does this sound right? Nothing happens when I select import. Thanks for the help

7. Post #2927
    May 2016
    663 Posts
    Am I able to use the SMD importer for 3DS Max? Also the file I'm trying to import is called 0000000006F2_refpose.smd Does this sound right? Nothing happens when I select import. Thanks for the help
    refpose.smd is used for converting animations, at the moment the program does not output valid SMD files on it's own.

8. Post #2928

November 2005
    8 Posts
    I placed my Overwatchmodel.exe next to my folder and tried to run it and I'm only get a command screen that blinks and disappears. ANy ideas?

Also, @CSgets, I love your renders a lot. I used to render game models to enhance them. Allow me to suggest creating SSS shaders for them, using HDR lighting and a Z-Depth pass for blurring and an AO pass. These elements will greatly enhance them. I will render them using Keyshot or Vray ;) and show you.
    I agree with most of what you've said, but I strongly recommend any renderer that natively does bokeh and depth-of-field effects rather than doing it in compositing. You'll get significant and objectively better results.

Here's my latest render, starring the Valkrie Mercy skin and many of the ideas you've mentioned, besides AO which is a hack especially if you're doing HDR or environmental lighting in the first place.

Larger 4K Version

9. Post #2929
    August 2010
    201 Posts
    refpose.smd is used for converting animations, at the moment the program does not output valid SMD files on it's own.
    Okay that's strange then because all I got were refposes. Why didn't the models export?

10. Post #2930
    September 2016
    78 Posts
    Okay that's strange then because all I got were refposes. Why didn't the models export?
    The models are the .owmdl files. You can import those into Blender and Maya (although Maya might not support all features, idk) using the addon found here in the information tab.

11. Post #2931
    August 2010
    201 Posts
    The models are the .owmdl files. You can import those into Blender and Maya (although Maya might not support all features, idk) using the addon found here in the information tab.
    I attempted to open it in 3DS Max with the importer and it gave me an error saying EXCEPTION ACCESS VIOLATION the thread tried to read or write from a virtual address which doesn't have appropriate access. Here is the error log:

macroScript WallWormImportMDLMACRO
    category:"wallworm.com"
    tooltip:"Import Source MDL"
    ButtonText:"Import MDL"
    (
    on execute do (
    if ::WallWormOpenGUIVPKTree != undefined then (
    if ::WallWormCurrentSettings == undefined then macros.run "wallworm.com" "WallWormInitialize"
    if ::WallWormOpenGUIVPKTree() == OK then (
    ::WallWormImportMDLMACROHasRun = true
    local newname = ::WallWormMDLimportInfo.GetLoadedMDLName()
    if newname != model then (
    local tmp = ::WallWormModelCache.getModelByName newname refetch:false dev:false doFetch:true
    if tmp != undefined then (
    local mdl = ::WallWormMDL()
    mdl.model = newname
    mdl.name = getFileNameFile newname
    select mdl
    max modify mode
    true
    ) else false
    ) else false
    ) else false
    ) else (
    if ((maxVersion())[1]) < 17000 then (
    messagebox "MDL IMPORTER: At this time the MDL Importer only works in 3ds Max 2015+.\n"
    ) else (
    macros.run "wallworm.com" "WallWormInstallWWPaths"
    messagebox "The plugins needed for this function require you to restart 3ds Max."
    )
    false
    )
    )
    )

I agree with most of what you've said, but I strongly recommend any renderer that natively does bokeh and depth-of-field effects rather than doing it in compositing. You'll get significant and objectively better results.

Here's my latest render, starring the Valkrie Mercy skin and many of the ideas you've mentioned, besides AO which is a hack especially if you're doing HDR or environmental lighting in the first place.

Larger 4K Version
    Looks very good, especially the bloom effects and staff glow. What did you use for the fur on her shoulders? If you PM me I can get you some great super high res skies to be used with HDR lighting if realism is what you're going for.

You don't like AO? I had thought AO and Overwatch models were made for each other. It compliments their stylized lack in detail quite well I think. To each their own I guess.

12. Post #2932

November 2005
    8 Posts
    Looks very good, especially the bloom effects and staff glow. What did you use for the fur on her shoulders? If you PM me I can get you some great super high res skies to be used with HDR lighting if realism is what you're going for.

You don't like AO? I had thought AO and Overwatch models were made for each other. It compliments their stylized lack in detail quite well I think. To each their own I guess.
    I appreciate it!

The shoulder fur uses Maya's Fur plugin, but I don't remember which preset I started with. With some slight modifications, I used the original fur texture plane geometry to guide the fur and created geometry to grow the fur from. It's rendered with a non-Maya Monte-Carlo based hair shader.

I'd appreciate more HDRIs. I only have one library - I don't remember the source but 'Alexs Apartment' and 'Chelsea Stairs' are a few names - and a few I've taken myself. For this shot, I created a LDR probe from that area in the Eichenwalde map and painted out the sun. Works fine for the idea of 'specular' and with some adjustments it works for the idea of 'diffuse.'

I balance realism with style, so I cannot totally ignore ambient occlusion (I mean, I did write it into my shader). But, AO has been around for a while primarily as a way to 'fake' environmental lighting effects, so it's an 'alternative' to using an HDRI. I think many times just the face normal is used, but the more proper way is to get the dot product of that normal and the world's up vector to see how shaded the area is from the hemisphere above you. Take that as it is or tint it a slightly blue color and now you've faked ambient sky lighting.

That said, the vast majority of the 'faked' area in 3D (or video or image production) is lighting, so use whatever tricks you need to get what you want. I prefer to do most the lighting as realistically as possible, using lights with area and HDR environment maps (for outdoor scenes). Only then will I start to consider 'hacks' like AO to introduce shadows.

13. Post #2933
    August 2010
    201 Posts
    I appreciate it!

The shoulder fur uses Maya's Fur plugin, but I don't remember which preset I started with. With some slight modifications, I used the original fur texture plane geometry to guide the fur and created geometry to grow the fur from. It's rendered with a non-Maya Monte-Carlo based hair shader.

I'd appreciate more HDRIs. I only have one library - I don't remember the source but 'Alexs Apartment' and 'Chelsea Stairs' are a few names - and a few I've taken myself. For this shot, I created a LDR probe from that area in the Eichenwalde map and painted out the sun. Works fine for the idea of 'specular' and with some adjustments it works for the idea of 'diffuse.'

I balance realism with style, so I cannot totally ignore ambient occlusion (I mean, I did write it into my shader). But, AO has been around for a while primarily as a way to 'fake' environmental lighting effects, so it's an 'alternative' to using an HDRI. I think many times just the face normal is used, but the more proper way is to get the dot product of that normal and the world's up vector to see how shaded the area is from the hemisphere above you. Take that as it is or tint it a slightly blue color and now you've faked ambient sky lighting.

That said, the vast majority of the 'faked' area in 3D (or video or image production) is lighting, so use whatever tricks you need to get what you want. I prefer to do most the lighting as realistically as possible, using lights with area and HDR environment maps (for outdoor scenes). Only then will I start to consider 'hacks' like AO to introduce shadows.
    You seem to be a fan of nonbiased rendering. Have you heard of Maxwell Render? Last I checked Maxwell is so unbiased that even the fur effects are made of geometry. AO is best suited for stylized video game graphics, it's cheap like Overwatch. The cinematics are makeshift and rendered in Redshift made up almost entirely of recycled models and textures. If your goal is to make them look more real than they do in the Blizzard cinematics, something like Maxwell would be best suited in my opinion. If I'm correct, there's not much different between the cinematic models and the ingame models, just the hair and they're possibly using higher res textures.

I've been looking for a project to work on which I can use in a portfolio and as tempting as it is to fix Blizzard models, in the end it's all copyrighted. My purpose for extracting the content is to study them. I'm guessing someone like you isn't in it for Gmod screenshots or movies either.

Send me a PM and I'll give you high quality HDRIs if you haven't already

14. Post #2934
    May 2016
    191 Posts
    Here's the source of your files, plus a bunch of awesome, free ones: http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html You can either get the sIBL plugin, or just use the raw images as is.

15. Post #2935
    August 2010
    201 Posts
    Here's the source of your files, plus a bunch of awesome, free ones: http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html You can either get the sIBL plugin, or just use the raw images as is.
    Hey you mind uploading an obj comtess widowmaker for me? It would save me a great deal of trouble. I only need the model

16. Post #2936
    May 2016
    191 Posts
    Hey you mind uploading an obj comtess widowmaker for me? It would save me a great deal of trouble. I only need the model
    I make it a policy not to share game models, especially when the files are easily accessible to anyone.

Simply extract the comtess model by following this tutorial, then follow the "How do I export an OBJ file?" in the Troubleshooting section for instructions on how to convert the model.

17. Post #2937

November 2005
    8 Posts
    You seem to be a fan of nonbiased rendering. Have you heard of Maxwell Render? Last I checked Maxwell is so unbiased that even the fur effects are made of geometry. AO is best suited for stylized video game graphics, it's cheap like Overwatch. The cinematics are makeshift and rendered in Redshift made up almost entirely of recycled models and textures. If your goal is to make them look more real than they do in the Blizzard cinematics, something like Maxwell would be best suited in my opinion. If I'm correct, there's not much different between the cinematic models and the ingame models, just the hair and they're possibly using higher res textures.

I've been looking for a project to work on which I can use in a portfolio and as tempting as it is to fix Blizzard models, in the end it's all copyrighted. My purpose for extracting the content is to study them. I'm guessing someone like you isn't in it for Gmod screenshots or movies either.

Send me a PM and I'll give you high quality HDRIs if you haven't already
    I have used Maxwell before, but I wouldn't use it in production due to time constraints. I'm definitely a fan of 3Delight (now moreso because they expanded their free licenses' capabilities). I developed a RenderMan shader a while ago on their REYES architecture, but recently they've implemented an incredibly fast and pretty path tracer alongside it which works well when you need a lot of ray tracing. The best part is that it's still based in RSL (OSL now, too), so everything studio's were already using in their pipelines was immediately usable in their new engine and with the new benefits.

IMO you can handle fur and hair with curves as long as you have the right shader that makes it look like what you want it to.

After working with their models, I can definitely say that they've used different models and textures for those videos. The types of models and textures you'd put in a game are built around different 'requirements' than the ones you'd make quality art with, like tri's vs. quad's and normal maps vs. displacement maps. You're right that they're not much different, they already had the assets to improve on.

18. Post #2938
    August 2010
    201 Posts
    I make it a policy not to share game models, especially when the files are easily accessible to anyone.

Simply extract the comtess model by following this tutorial, then follow the "How do I export an OBJ file?" in the Troubleshooting section for instructions on how to convert the model.
    I have them extracted, I need to be able to open them in a program so I can convert them. 3DS Max is giving me the error I mentioned above, I don't have Maya and there are literally no instructions how to use the MDL importer with Blender or how to even install it.

19. Post #2939
    September 2016
    78 Posts
    I have them extracted, I need to be able to open them in a program so I can convert them. 3DS Max is giving me the error I mentioned above, I don't have Maya and there are literally no instructions how to use the MDL importer with Blender or how to even install it.
    https://owdev.wiki/Tutorial/Import_O...s_into_blender it's not the best tutorial but it should be enough, and after that you can just File -> Export -> FBX

20. Post #2940

July 2016
    14 Posts
    Hey, i just got the update, and i keep getting this error when i'm trying to extract it:

E:\OverTool>OverTool.exe E:\Overwatch\Overwatch x E:\OW_Extractions\files\Organized skin orisa
    OverTool v1.8.7.6
    Initializing CASC...

Unhandled Exception: System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicExceptio n: Padding is invalid and cannot be removed.
    at System.Security.Cryptography.RijndaelManagedTransf orm.DecryptData(Byte[] inputBuffer, Int32 inputOffset, Int32 inputCount, Byte[]& outputBuffer, Int32 outputOffset, PaddingMode paddingMode, Boolean fLast)
    at System.Security.Cryptography.RijndaelManagedTransf orm.TransformFinalBlock(Byte[] inputBuffer, Int32 inputOffset, Int32 inputCount)
    at System.Security.Cryptography.CryptoStream.Read(Byt e[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
    at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadBytes(Int32 count)
    at CASCExplorer.Extensions.Read[T](BinaryReader reader)
    at CASCExplorer.APMFile.ParseCMF(BinaryReader cmfreader, UInt32 cmfentryCount, UInt32 cmfhashCount)
    at CASCExplorer.APMFile..ctor(String name, MD5Hash cmfhash, Stream stream, CASCHandler casc)
    at CASCExplorer.OwRootHandler..ctor(BinaryReader stream, BackgroundWorkerEx worker, CASCHandler casc)
    at CASCExplorer.CASCHandler..ctor(CASCConfig config, BackgroundWorkerEx worker)
    at CASCExplorer.CASCHandler.Open(BackgroundWorkerEx worker, CASCConfig config)
    at CASCExplorer.CASCHandler.OpenStorage(CASCConfig config, BackgroundWorkerEx worker)
    at OverTool.Program.Main(String[] args)

Is it because the keys for it haven't been found or...?

21. Post #2941

October 2016
    47 Posts
    1.9 (live patch) is not supported. Only 1.10 (PTR, using new casclib) and 1.8 (previous, using old casclib)

22. Post #2942

February 2017
    15 Posts
    The lib is made for 1.10 not 1.9. Each build branch have a unique 512 bytes table that is used to generate the key to decrypt the CMF manifest.
    I have some ideas about reading the keytable from the client itself but there are breaking changes in key generation between 1.9 and 1.10
    For now, we can have a temp casclib until we get 1.10 (Link to 1.9 decryption)
    Note: First 16 bytes are wrong with the 1.9 decryption but we don't even use them.

@dynaomi: Can you do a little "hack" in your code to check if the build is < 1.10 and use this?

23. Post #2943
    August 2010
    201 Posts
    https://owdev.wiki/Tutorial/Import_O...s_into_blender it's not the best tutorial but it should be enough, and after that you can just File -> Export -> FBX
    Thank you very much sir. After two days. This really is a great communitty

Edited:

I have used Maxwell before, but I wouldn't use it in production due to time constraints. I'm definitely a fan of 3Delight (now moreso because they expanded their free licenses' capabilities). I developed a RenderMan shader a while ago on their REYES architecture, but recently they've implemented an incredibly fast and pretty path tracer alongside it which works well when you need a lot of ray tracing. The best part is that it's still based in RSL (OSL now, too), so everything studio's were already using in their pipelines was immediately usable in their new engine and with the new benefits.

IMO you can handle fur and hair with curves as long as you have the right shader that makes it look like what you want it to.

After working with their models, I can definitely say that they've used different models and textures for those videos. The types of models and textures you'd put in a game are built around different 'requirements' than the ones you'd make quality art with, like tri's vs. quad's and normal maps vs. displacement maps. You're right that they're not much different, they already had the assets to improve on.
    For still shots I use all the time in the world provided I'm not pressed for time. Are you rendering Overwatch characters as part of one of your projects? You definitely know more about rendering than I do. I typically use Keyshot so I don't have to know a lot.

Or they were High Poly models before they were optimized for the game. I was mostly just saying the models themselves are rather simplistic and rendering them to look great wouldn't be difficult since the cinematics are speed rendered. It is my opinion that nonbiased renders look more realistic than those more utilizing stuff like post processing.

Allow me to ask, why do you choose to extract ingame overwatch models and render them rather than creating your own content? You definitely seem informed enough, probably one of the most informed that I've talked to on this forum about rendering and CG. My purpose for doing this is to study them and in some ways seeing other artists work in its raw form inspires me. Why do you do what you do?

24. Post #2944

November 2005
    8 Posts
    For still shots I use all the time in the world provided I'm not pressed for time. Are you rendering Overwatch characters as part of one of your projects? You definitely know more about rendering than I do. I typically use Keyshot so I don't have to know a lot.

Or they were High Poly models before they were optimized for the game. I was mostly just saying the models themselves are rather simplistic and rendering them to look great wouldn't be difficult since the cinematics are speed rendered. It is my opinion that nonbiased renders look more realistic than those more utilizing stuff like post processing.

Allow me to ask, why do you choose to extract ingame overwatch models and render them rather than creating your own content? You definitely seem informed enough, probably one of the most informed that I've talked to on this forum about rendering and CG. My purpose for doing this is to study them and in some ways seeing other artists work in its raw form inspires me. Why do you do what you do?
    Curious questions. I've spent much of my life automating things, and naturally I've preferred to reduce rendering times. Using an agile methodology would have you wanting to iterate many times quickly, making progress and trying to do more each time. It kills my process to wait longer, and worse yet, it would roadblock me from other activities during the wait. I don't want to throw thousands of rays if I know I can get the same quality out of a hundred, and you must increase those numbers exponentially as they bounce around the scene spawning more of themselves.

I would say that each of my Overwatch renders are their own project. I have no larger goal with them, and each one is complete whenever I post it.

You are correct that they have a base asset that is not what we get in the game. We are only extracting their 'compiled' results. Wouldn't it be nice to have their Maya files with the original - maybe higher quality - meshes and full animation rigs?

Non-biased renderers are usually biased (forgive the pun) towards 'better' or more 'real' results. It'd be hard to sell something as 'better' if not only were you much slower - almost infinitely by definition - but you also looked worse. It's easy to write a ray-tracing renderer, and there are many on the market. The best work doesn't go into their shaders (what makes you see the scene) either, which makes them look worse. With a non-biased renderer, which is still a ray tracer, a lot more work has to go into the shaders to make the whole system work. It's also truly built for ray tracing, so they can do more 'effects' or light simulations.

I think the problem is that most of the 'default' renderers use older shading models for speed or lack of care, while the non-biased ones use newer ones. I'm also using newer ones in a non-biased renderer, including one as recent as a few years old.

I don't know of any good 'open' non-biased renderer, meaning that its shader scripting language is available to you. With the popular non-biased renderers, you can only use the shaders that they've supplied, and they're usually built to feel more 'real' by giving you 'realistic' controls. So, I can see why they're popular in something like architecture design, but for any 'art' you're basically stuck with what they think looks good, or 'real.' A lot of visual effects in movies look 'real,' but more importantly they look good. They start physically-based, but nearly everything about them is carefully art directed and I promise you that they're focusing on basically every detail about it. They need a lot of control, and saying 'but this looks "real"' is not convincing anyone there.

That said, I frequently use the 'interactive' option in 3Delight's path tracer, which is technically a non-biased renderer in that mode. I wouldn't use it for final results, but it gives me extremely quick results as I tune parameters or move things around. I turn it off and it's back to being a biased renderer with a known render time and end result, actually the same end result as the non-biased version.

It's also built using both the RenderMan Shading Language and the Open Shading Language. So, I can basically do whatever I want with it, although I mostly use my physically-based-rendering shader that can still be tweaked to the artist's delight. I'm a firm believer of seperating the 3D render from the post-processing. I wouldn't call anything in my biased renderer's toolkit post-processing. In fact, they're probably using many of the same algorithms, some better and some worse.

There was a time when I was creating more content myself. I'm doing many more things now than then, so time is more important to me. I'm also not creative individually; I need a lot of external inputs for that to work. It's easier for me to 'remix' something than to start from nowhere. This also combines two of my hobbies, so it's almost double-fun. I do still create in 3D, although they're usually more functional (but sometimes artful) because I print them.

My account here is really old - from 2005 - because I started here in these forums extracting Half Life 2 models and rendering them with HDRIs in VRay. Seeing cool videos or games inspires me. Sometimes I think I can make something look better, and sometimes I wonder how I'd even do something like that.

25. Post #2945

February 2017
    25 Posts
    find the largest .owmdl file in the extracted folder for your particular skin, this is most likely the actual character model. Import that using the maya or blender plugin. Then you can export out as .FBX and import into whatever you want including 3DS Max. I use Maya myself as the Blender plugins dont install for me for some reason. You can get Maya for free from their student website.

26. Post #2946

March 2017
    2 Posts
    hey, i just got the update (and it seems a little update on the 1.10 ptr aswell? ) and ever since then i get this error:

Unhandled Exception: System.NotSupportedException: Specified method is not supported.

never seen the "specified method is not supported" before so im kind of at a loss here.
    ive extracted models before without major problems and getting it to obj fine aswell.
    anybody got an idea on where to look?

27. Post #2947

December 2012
    61 Posts
    hey, i just got the update (and it seems a little update on the 1.10 ptr aswell? ) and ever since then i get this error:

Unhandled Exception: System.NotSupportedException: Specified method is not supported.

never seen the "specified method is not supported" before so im kind of at a loss here.
    ive extracted models before without major problems and getting it to obj fine aswell.
    anybody got an idea on where to look?
    I'm not sure if this error is related to missing keys or not but we don't have the 1.10 keys (or 1.9 keys). I get this error as well when trying to use Overtool on 1.10.
    Overtool currently doesn't support 1.9 and 1.10 causes this error.
    Also Overtool is up to version 1.8.7.16
    https://ci.appveyor.com/project/yuki...atch-toolchain

28. Post #2948

March 2017
    2 Posts
    I'm not sure if this error is related to missing keys or not but we don't have the 1.10 keys (or 1.9 keys). I get this error as well when trying to use Overtool on 1.10.
    Overtool currently doesn't support 1.9 and 1.10 causes this error.
    Also Overtool is up to version 1.8.7.16
    https://ci.appveyor.com/project/yuki...atch-toolchain
    ah thanks for the heads up on the version, updated now.
    i thought that with the old casclib it did actually support the PTR.

anyway, guess i gotta wait for orisa ;)

29. Post #2949

March 2017
    15 Posts
    Just for your information, here's an alternative way to import Overwatch models:
    http://unwrap3d.com/u3d/downloads.aspx

It has an Overwatch plugin that loads both models (.00C) and animation files (.006).
    If you have it, great, if you don't, then there's still Blender. It's just an another way of importing models.

Animation:
    https://gfycat.com/TastyCandidGoral
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #2950

February 2017
    25 Posts
    hey guys just a quick question for you shader pros out there as i'm a bit lost; where do you apply the specular map(the redish maps) for these models in Maya??? they are supposed to be for roughness right? I'm just not so sure where i am to apply these - in the specular colour slot? the reflectivity slot? etc etc

31. Post #2951
    May 2016
    663 Posts
    The lib is made for 1.10 not 1.9. Each build branch have a unique 512 bytes table that is used to generate the key to decrypt the CMF manifest.
    I have some ideas about reading the keytable from the client itself but there are breaking changes in key generation between 1.9 and 1.10
    For now, we can have a temp casclib until we get 1.10 (Link to 1.9 decryption)
    Note: First 16 bytes are wrong with the 1.9 decryption but we don't even use them.

@dynaomi: Can you do a little "hack" in your code to check if the build is < 1.10 and use this?
    I'll see if i can do something

32. Post #2952
    January 2017
    38 Posts
    hey guys just a quick question for you shader pros out there as i'm a bit lost; where do you apply the specular map(the redish maps) for these models in Maya??? they are supposed to be for roughness right? I'm just not so sure where i am to apply these - in the specular colour slot? the reflectivity slot? etc etc
    I have been wondering this as well, but honestly , I tend not to use these.

Also, I had a question on my last post,

Can anyone let me know if Overtook can get Normal maps? I have only been able yo get the Classic Skin normal maps for each hero, but I've never seen normal maps for the other skins, and not thru overtook itself. So if there is a command or a way, let me know!

Edited:

Thanks for the advice but do you mind explaining more what selections and polygon mapping is?
    Ah, so basically with that, I just meant giving a material to each Different texture on the character. So in the case of Tracer, I had selections for her metal objects, her hair, her skin, her pants, her shoes,her straps,etc. All with different variations of specularity,roughness,etc.

It helps to do that rather than count solely on the textures to do this. It also adds more realism :)

Edited:

That is some ridiculous work on Kings Row there, well done. Yeah i was gonna just go ahead and manually texture the whole map myself, i was looking to record video of myself flying round the map in spectator mode and have that video handy while i texture the map. This is gonna be one hell of a ridiculously long task....
    Man, it took me like a straight week or 2 haha.

But honestly, what I was doing is just have a laptop or something playing overwatch is Spectator and use that on a looped match between AIs , then do all the texture matching on ur main PC. This way you aren't limited to ur video

33. Post #2953
    May 2016
    191 Posts
    This has been one of the hardest things to figure out, content wise, and I have yet to build the shader in Maya for it, but I built one in Unreal Engine 4, so I will use that for my demonstration.

First of all, the Red/Turquoise map contains the Specular, Roughness, and the Metallic-ness of the model. So let's take a quick look at how to get that info out:

This is the UE4 function I wrote to split up the SpecMetal texture. Here's how it works:
    First, we take the image, and we take the green channel, and invert it to get the roughness. Inversion may not be necessary, depending on how your software/shader works, but UE4 needs it inverted. Near as I can tell, the Blue channel is 99.9% identical (only some compression differences) so we'll ignore that.
    Next, we take the red channel, and we need to split it in half. 0-127 will be our Specular texture, and 128-255 will be our Metal texture. Once we grab the half images, we need to normalize them so instead of 0-127 or 128-255, they use 0-255. This was the tricky part in UE4. Hopefully your 3D program has an easier way.

When I get around to writing the custom shader for the Maya plugin, I will be automating this functionality.

Can anyone let me know if Overtook can get Normal maps? I have only been able yo get the Classic Skin normal maps for each hero, but I've never seen normal maps for the other skins, and not thru overtook itself. So if there is a command or a way, let me know!
    First of all, not all of the skins need different normal maps. For skins that are basically the same, but just a different color, they can use the same normal map, saving them data.

Second, keep in mind that the normal maps can look strange, because they are inverted:

On the left is the normal map that is extracted by Overtool. This is how they are stored in Overwatch. It is done to reduce file-size, because storing 2048*2048 values of 0 results in a smaller file-size than storing the same amount of 255 values. On the right is the same image, but inverted. This is the normal map we've come to expect.

And as for having to edit the materials for metal and everything:

This is a export of Tracer (without editing) using the texturing method I used above in UE4. As you can see, I've gotten VERY close to the in-game look for most of the materials. (Still working on the hair...)

34. Post #2954
    January 2017
    38 Posts
    This has been one of the hardest things to figure out, content wise, and I have yet to build the shader in Maya for it, but I built one in Unreal Engine 4, so I will use that for my demonstration.
    But as far a getting the normals for the other models thats still not a thing? I've checked all of the casc textures, never saw any normals for the other models besides the classic (and its variations)

35. Post #2955
    May 2016
    191 Posts
    But as far a getting the normals for the other models thats still not a thing? I've checked all of the casc textures, never saw any normals for the other models besides the classic (and its variations)
    What's the exact command you are using, and what version of Overtool and which version of Overwatch? I'll admit I've not used Overwatch 1.9 or 1.10 for data extraction, but following the tutorial, it worked perfectly with 1.8.

36. Post #2956

February 2017
    25 Posts

First of all, the Red/Turquoise map contains the Specular, Roughness, and the Metallic-ness of the model. So let's take a quick look at how to get that info out:

This is the UE4 function I wrote to split up the SpecMetal texture. Here's how it works:
    First, we take the image, and we take the green channel, and invert it to get the roughness. Inversion may not be necessary, depending on how your software/shader works, but UE4 needs it inverted. Near as I can tell, the Blue channel is 99.9% identical (only some compression differences) so we'll ignore that.
    Next, we take the red channel, and we need to split it in half. 0-127 will be our Specular texture, and 128-255 will be our Metal texture. Once we grab the half images, we need to normalize them so instead of 0-127 or 128-255, they use 0-255. This was the tricky part in UE4. Hopefully your 3D program has an easier way.

When I get around to writing the custom shader for the Maya plugin, I will be automating this functionality.

First of all, not all of the skins need different normal maps. For skins that are basically the same, but just a different color, they can use the same normal map, saving them data.

Second, keep in mind that the normal maps can look strange, because they are inverted:

On the left is the normal map that is extracted by Overtool. This is how they are stored in Overwatch. It is done to reduce file-size, because storing 2048*2048 values of 0 results in a smaller file-size than storing the same amount of 255 values. On the right is the same image, but inverted. This is the normal map we've come to expect.

And as for having to edit the materials for metal and everything:

This is a export of Tracer (without editing) using the texturing method I used above in UE4. As you can see, I've gotten VERY close to the in-game look for most of the materials. (Still working on the hair...)
    cheeses crust.... i can honestly say that is way over my head!

seems rather complicated indeed, still wouldnt know how all this would be mapped out in Maya and its slots. I assume to get the different channels from the one image i would use something like photoshop and create separate images?

either way, its way over my head. I think i will patiently await your custom shader for Maya!

37. Post #2957

March 2017
    17 Posts

38. Post #2958

December 2016
    27 Posts
    Download the english version (OW), and set -LenUS after overtool.exe, this should fix it (I think).

39. Post #2959
    January 2017
    38 Posts
    What's the exact command you are using, and what version of Overtool and which version of Overwatch? I'll admit I've not used Overwatch 1.9 or 1.10 for data extraction, but following the tutorial, it worked perfectly with 1.8.
    The regular command tbh.

-- overtool "f:\overwatch\overwatch" x "f:\Update" --

Though Im using a batch converter to Convert my DDS files to PNG, idk if this is not converting them all but imma share some screenshots, and see if someone cant show what their folder might look like.

Maybe I have them but the converter im using isnt converting the normals.

This is my Classic Bastion skin folder made by Overtool 1.8.7 im pretty sure but you can see I have most of the textures. But I get all of my normals from Casc directly, I never see them in here -- But I also use a batch converter.

Its called "Easy2Convert DDS to Image" , and it looked like it was doing it all. There are still more DDS files than actual converted PNGs, so I never really questioned why it cant convert the others. But if its the software, then Ill be able to talk to the developer or find another program.

-- EDIT --

I found this software called "DDS converter" by Soft Sea and it works wonders actually.

Got this result~~~

So if anyone is trying to batch convert and hates using Viewers -- use that ^^ -- Though it is semi auto for any files that it cant convert, u just hit delete and run it again, but it converts practically all of them

40. Post #2960
    June 2012
    79 Posts
    Is OverTool broken with the latest Overwatch patch? I'm getting errors every time I try to use it.