1. Post #4201
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    3,950 Posts
    I still consider myself a sort of newbie, but I'd like to know what you all think of these snaps I took last weekend in London. I only had 2 hours of free time, so I was in a hurry, but I think I might have got something worthwhile out of it.

London 2017 by J.G. Caselli, su Flickr

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #4202
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    653 Posts
    I still consider myself a sort of newbie, but I'd like to know what you all think of these snaps I took last weekend in London.
    So i've been thinking about responses to the general questions of "What do you think of my work?" When I hear/see that I want to ask, "What do YOU like about your work?" Yes, having your work CC'd is a very valuable thing (and I will give some after this) but ultimately its a hobby/art that you want to pursue. This is more an an internal quiestion for you to think about but why did you take those photos? Try to see if you can get your selects down to 5 pictures or even 3. It will help you focus and see where the work wants to go. If you are as new as you say think about your own work for a little bit before posting. On that same note and like i've said before in this thread, look at other artist works and see what you can piggyback on.

So lets start some CC. I do like the more zoomed in shots like this one.

The whole thing is very symmetrical and actually tells a story to a point. The man just standing there looking at what I assume are movies coming out really adds to it so I really think this is one of the best. For the CC, I think you could of let the frame have more breathing room. Zooming out/stepping back could of given us some more of the story and our eyes could have traveled into the moment ourselves. Im not talking about showing the entire block but maybe a foot or two more all around could have let the viewers not feel so crammed in the space.

This one is great in with colors. All I see is the red and that's an awesome picture to grab. Everything from the break light on the right reflecting off the van, the bricks on the roof, and even the window above the kiosk all come together to show us some type of red.

The CC I would have for this is that it's unfortunately just a boring picture once you look past the color. I would of maybe done something closer to the bikes playing with how the seats are all arranged differently.

You've got the signs of a good eye. Just don't be afraid to show us more. You can change a lot later if you want and you should! Try just sliding bars around and seeing what happens. Or again look at other artist work for inspiration.

Hope that helps!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #4203
    April 2011
    34 Posts

Added tons of noise and clarity, going for a 1930's horror feel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4204
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,378 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #4205
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    3,950 Posts
    Hope that helps!
    Thanks, it does! Wasn't really asking for any lengthy CC, just if I got something going or not. I dunno, it's very hard for me to judge my own work, and to know if I'm doing it "right".

6. Post #4206
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,888 Posts

Animal rights activist and public speaker James Aspey at a demonstration on the beach in Vancouver, B.C.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #4207
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,888 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #4208
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    12,484 Posts
    IMG_8223-Pano.jpg by Ngoh shian Bang, on Flickr

Edited:

IMG_8305 by Ngoh shian Bang, on Flickr

Edited:

IMG_8175-HDR by Ngoh shian Bang, on Flickr

A stitched Pano shot of Taipei. 13 shots form into one, turns out its 187 megapixel in total

IMG_8109-Pano-3 by Ngoh shian Bang, on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Winner Winner x 3Friendly Friendly x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #4209
    January 2011
    789 Posts

Some test shoot stuff selecting models for a 2018 calendar or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

10. Post #4210
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,716 Posts
    What kind of calender is it

11. Post #4211
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    6,410 Posts
    A calander with angels ofc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #4212
    April 2017
    134 Posts
    Some random stuff:

Edited:

This is amazing. Teach me your secrets.

Edited:

Added tons of noise and clarity, going for a 1930's horror feel.
    Just buy a cheap DSLR, drop it on the ground accidentally to make sure VR will never work again and shoot at 1/100 & Hi ISO, my man.

Works for me!

13. Post #4213
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    12,484 Posts
    temple of kfc by Ngoh shian Bang, on Flickr

Edited:

IMG_8336.jpg by Ngoh shian Bang, on Flickr

Edited:

IMG_8390.jpg by Ngoh shian Bang, on Flickr

IMG_8379.jpg by Ngoh shian Bang, on Flickr

Edited:

IMG_8357.jpg by Ngoh shian Bang, on Flickr

IMG_8386.jpg by Ngoh shian Bang, on Flickr

IMG_8376 by Ngoh shian Bang, on Flickr

14. Post #4214
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,205 Posts
    I'm really curious how you're doing the colors on this!
    Is it all through lightroom, and if so can you describe the work process?

15. Post #4215
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    10,556 Posts
    he's taking back the highlights -100 for sure
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Internet Explorer 5 Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #4216
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    12,484 Posts
    he's taking back the highlights -100 for sure
    Yes and no, it varies depending on the picture, but generally removing the highlights give you a flatter look.

Edited:

I'm really curious how you're doing the colors on this!
    Is it all through lightroom, and if so can you describe the work process?
    Playing with split toning, RGB Curves (including reds, green and blues)

And colour adjustment, as well as the camera calibrations. I push shadows up, clarity and blacks, highlights down.

But of course this is rough, most of the shots have a range of adjustments.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #4217
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,136 Posts
    I love your photos lately but I don't particularly care for the look of recovered highlights that you've been doing on some of them. It's probably subjective but my taste is for letting them blow out slightly. Seems overprocessed when you try to recover so much detail.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #4218
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    12,484 Posts
    I love your photos lately but I don't particularly care for the look of recovered highlights that you've been doing on some of them. It's probably subjective but my taste is for letting them blow out slightly. Seems overprocessed when you try to recover so much detail.
    Well I upped the highlights a little as per your criticism

IMG_8795.jpg by Ngoh shian Bang, on Flickr

IMG_8495.jpg by Ngoh shian Bang, on Flickr

IMG_8700.jpg by Ngoh shian Bang, on Flickr

IMG_8713.jpg by Ngoh shian Bang, on Flickr

Better?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #4219

January 2014
    420 Posts

Mari by Julian M., on Flickr
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Firefox Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #4220
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,136 Posts
    1st and 3rd yes, but the second leaves me wanting more. Like, I took it really far (maybe too far) and I think it's a good balance of exposure vs nuance that you've found, but I just don't like the look of a photo that isn't hitting the white point in a few places. Season to taste, you know.

21. Post #4221
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    10,556 Posts
    what is going on here?

22. Post #4222
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    8,716 Posts
    Move her over more into the center of the frame - the door isn't as interesting as the wall corner.

23. Post #4223
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    12,484 Posts

24. Post #4224
    Glod Member
    July 2010
    4,588 Posts
    Any chance you could send me the RAWs for these? Dropbox/google drive would work. I'd like try processing them so I can give you my take on it.

Biscuit took it in a good direction but there is only so much that can be done with already processed .jpgs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #4225
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    12,484 Posts
    Any chance you could send me the RAWs for these? Dropbox/google drive would work. I'd like try processing them so I can give you my take on it.

Biscuit took it in a good direction but there is only so much that can be done with already processed .jpgs.
    Sure. PM me your email. I'll wetransfer.

26. Post #4226
    November 2011
    65 Posts
    I figured maybe I could try posting some of my photos on here again tell me what you think.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #4227
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    12,484 Posts
    Great shots, though the bnw is my least fav, feels flat to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #4228
    Just set my homepage to blackass.com
    January 2007
    1,488 Posts
    went west

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Artistic Artistic x 9Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #4229
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,888 Posts
    I think you've done a nice job with those there, my friend.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #4230
    Glod Member
    July 2010
    4,588 Posts
    Sure. PM me your email. I'll wetransfer.
    I probably botched your vision of what you're trying to do here, I don't have much experience with the look you're going for. However, I think I cleaned up some issues.

[Click for full res] - I'm assuming you're using Lightroom, so here's the preset I made which is applied to both of these photos.

With processing photos in general, you will get better results if you work with the existing environment and atmosphere. If you try to bend things too far past reality it just won't look right. However, you can achieve super stylized looks if you carefully balance the heavy processing.

The outrun/cyberpunk thing features a lot of light sources (neon signs) so I'd recommend simply adjusting the white balance slightly too far in the direction of the color cast you want and going from there. This keeps things consistent and more natural looking IMO.

Here's the biggest problem you had. You need to keep light sources from looking so dark and opaque. They should 'radiate' light from an almost blown out point at the brightest part.

Some points I made note of:

- Don't use the shadow tint (under camera calibration) so heavily
    - Clarity shouldn't be used more than ~20 points in either direction, you had it at +100.
    - Avoid split toning and Dehaze. Play with these after you've done most of your processing and see if they help or hurt.
    - Be more smooth with the indivudual RGB tone curves. Generally keep it a subtle S shape.

I didn't do this to your photos, but you should start using the Adjustment Brush to make masks. You can get really creative here as this lets you change nearly anything (exposure, white balance, etc.) about a specific part of the image without bogging down the whole image in crazy artifacts.

Final thought: Until computers can read our minds, we're always going to be fighting with the software. Sometimes you can get better results if you just go with the flow and use what you're getting instead of trying to wrestle a photo into submission.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Useful Useful x 2Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #4231
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,888 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

32. Post #4232
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    10,556 Posts

33. Post #4233
    Starbound Server
    July 2012
    2,281 Posts
    Finally got an off-camera flash

holding the stand because of the wind

34. Post #4234
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    4,018 Posts
    Hey! They look nice! Good white balance and colour. Can't wait to see some more once you do some experimenting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #4235
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    12,484 Posts
    Finally got an off-camera flash

holding the stand because of the wind
    If you're gonna be out shooting more, I suggest getting a sandbag, or if you have a car or good shoulders, a c-stand

A strong gust of wind can knock over and deform whatever light modifiers you have

36. Post #4236
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    10,556 Posts
    If you're gonna be out shooting more, I suggest getting a sandbag, or if you have a car or good shoulders, a c-stand
    agreed. i've sacrificed many, many umbrellas because i keep forgetting to buy sadnbags
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Internet Explorer 5 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #4237
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    10,556 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Internet Explorer 5 Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #4238
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    6,410 Posts
    ^ kinda reminds me of jackson pollock