1. Post #4481
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    31,091 Posts
    depends on what you want to do of course. PS has more modern features, and my Gimp is something like six years out of date anyway. if you use GIMP, try to find good brush packs for things like smoke.

2. Post #4482
    February 2007
    1,556 Posts
    Interesting viewpoint, you make GIMP sound, in some ways, superior to Photoshop, might stick with for a bit longer.
    Ideally I'd try both for a long enough period of time to determine which I like best, and stick with it, but realistically I'll probably never leave Photoshop..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Israel Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

3. Post #4483
    January 2015
    417 Posts
    depends on what you want to do of course. PS has more modern features, and my Gimp is something like six years out of date anyway. if you use GIMP, try to find good brush packs for things like smoke.
    Ok, cheers, I'll take a look

Edited:

Ideally I'd try both for a long enough period of time to determine which I like best, and stick with it, but realistically I'll probably never leave Photoshop..
    Yeah, I personally prefer Photoshop's UI, but I've used GIMP for longer

4. Post #4484
    February 2015
    397 Posts

I still can't learn nice looking lighting. How could I improve this one? I feel that light coming from left is too strong but I want to see what people here will say about it.

EDIT: Also, how's my posing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Lithuania Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

5. Post #4485
    February 2007
    1,556 Posts
    IMO, improving lighting shouldn't be a matter of how to compose the lighting setup as much as solely improving the technical quality of said lighting.

What I mean by that is that it's clear there are about two to three 'shades' of light in this picture; a lamp from the right, a light from the left, and maybe another one. Each source of light is giving your picture a single shade, where shades are additive, so in other words, (say you have two sources) every pixel in your scene can be one of the following: 1. Not lit at all, 2. lit by source A, 3. lit by source B, 4. lit by source A,B. The problem with your light (as it looks like now) is no pixel is 'not lit at all', and so your '100% black' is really just somewhere closer to fullbright, where in real life 100% black is what it sounds like - 100% black.

To suggest a fix, get rid any standard lights or worldmap lights, and stick solely to lamps which cast accurate (relatively) direct illumination shadows. That way pixels (in the appropriate positions) would be 100% black. Additionally, the more lamps you use, the more variance (shades) you're giving your lighting, and the closer it'll be to real scenery, where there are countless 'shades' of light.

If you do this right, you shouldn't even care about where to place lamps and all - literally anything will look good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Israel Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

6. Post #4486

January 2012
    1,525 Posts
    EDIT: Also, how's my posing?
    The posing is great. Only problem is this guy's neck looks like it hurts

And of course the Lighting is a bit strange. Like they have a light set up right on them instead of it blending in to the Environment.
    Shadow angles are weird. And there are multiple shadows. Look in the hole. There is another shadow then to the ones the soldiers are casting. Both completelly different angles. I'll let it slide and say there are just more suns
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

7. Post #4487
    February 2007
    1,556 Posts
    Also, mind posting the exact same frame (with the same lights) when typing 'mat_fullbright 2' and 'mat_bumpmap 0' in console and uploading?

8. Post #4488
    July 2016
    493 Posts
    Your instructions are very good Vioxtar, i'll keep that lighting guide in mind for next time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #4489
    August 2015
    648 Posts

neo rhodesians never die
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Edge Show Events Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #4490
    September 2015
    252 Posts
    Haven't made any content for a very long time so these might be a little rusty.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 9Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

11. Post #4491
    January 2013
    398 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Edge Korea, Republic of Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #4492
    January 2015
    417 Posts

neo rhodesians never die
    Is Ninja still working on these?
    Also, I'd like to know how to add that black border to the pic, I might use it in the future.

13. Post #4493
    October 2014
    654 Posts
    why dont you ask ninja, i'm sure he'll give you an answer

14. Post #4494
    January 2015
    417 Posts
    why dont you ask ninja, i'm sure he'll give you an answer
    Yeah, just unsure how he'll react.

15. Post #4495
    April 2016
    84 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Opera Russian Federation Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

16. Post #4496

April 2015
    47 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #4497
    April 2015
    960 Posts
    How appropriate that a picture featuring our lord and savior Tachanka has godrays.

I watched 28 Days Later again the other day. Then this happened.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #4498
    P-Putin-.. Senpai!
    January 2014
    1,117 Posts

more greenscreen testing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #4499
    December 2012
    376 Posts

more greenscreen testing
    The shadows look way too sharp, in my opinion. However, I do like where the scene is going so far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #4500
    July 2016
    493 Posts
    I have to agree with Subzero, for a moment i thought the image wasn't loading.

21. Post #4501
    February 2015
    397 Posts

Alright, here's my second attempt at lighting scene I posted earlier ago. I think I managed to include that "100% black pixel" thing that Vioxtar suggested and now it looks better in some spots. Also fixed one crusader's weird neck angle. The one thing that irritates me is water bottle near the trash bin not having shadow, but I guess it's a model issue.

22. Post #4502
    February 2007
    1,556 Posts
    (I really would like to still see a mat_fullbright 2 and mat_bumpmap 0 upload)

23. Post #4503
    February 2015
    397 Posts
    Ok, will upload it soon.

24. Post #4504
    February 2014
    1,780 Posts
    Made something

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Argentina Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

25. Post #4505
    February 2015
    397 Posts
    (I really would like to still see a mat_fullbright 2 and mat_bumpmap 0 upload)
    I foolishly forgot to save scene with second attempt lights, so I took this with first attempt lights.

mat_fullbright 2 and mat_bumpmap 0 gave this really interesting picture (thumbed it to make it less annoying for everyone).

26. Post #4506
    January 2013
    398 Posts
    Creatrick, how did u pose the gun sling model?

Edited:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Edge Korea, Republic of Show Events Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #4507
    February 2015
    397 Posts
    That's just two resized and recolored rib models.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Lithuania Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #4508
    February 2007
    1,556 Posts
    I foolishly forgot to save scene with second attempt lights, so I took this with first attempt lights.

mat_fullbright 2 and mat_bumpmap 0 gave this really interesting picture (thumbed it to make it less annoying for everyone).

Thanks, now it's clear seeing what's happening in the scene lighting wise without the albedos and normals.

What I meant by shadow variance was that, ignoring the shading (which is based purely on angles and is very basic in what it grants to the scene), it's visible that all we're left with is (correct me if I'm wrong) three shadow casting lamps in total - a left yellow colored one, a middle, brighter one, and a weaker one to the right - thus the shadows can be categorized into the following categories: A, B, C, AB, AC, BC, ABC, and 1, where: A represents all pixels lit by lights B,C but not A, etc, AB represents all the pixels lit by C but not by both A and B, etc, and ABC all pixels which fall into the shadows of all three sources of light A, B, C (should be completely black), and 1 being completely lit.

These are all the *non-shading related* shadows I found in the scene, highlighted with the magic wand tool. The border of every shadow is quite visible, and there are barely any overlaps between shadows, mainly because there are so little of them. Notice that there are barely any ABC overlaps, thus barely (if at all) actual black or near-black pixels that are not a result of shading but actual shadow usage.

This is an example of what a scene with more shadow variance (shadow categories) should look like. Soft shadows, lots of them, lots of overlap between them, and the bigger the overlap the darker the pixels. I know this requires more lamps, you really can go about with just four to eight by aligning them properly to introduce more overlap between their shadows.

Sorry if I repeated myself, really wanted to get that across because I think it's important.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #4509
    February 2015
    397 Posts
    That's really good advice and explanation, VIoxtar. Thanks! I will redo the lighting by using more soft lamps and will see if it looks better, which I'm sure will.

30. Post #4510
    December 2015
    210 Posts

thanks to frosthunter for fixing the water reflection
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #4511
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    4,134 Posts
    Creatrick, how did u pose the gun sling model?

Edited:

I love the posing on this one. Where are these dudes from? I wanna make a gun pose or a giant firefight with those models.

32. Post #4512
    December 2015
    29 Posts
    Cinematic Experience
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 12Funny Funny x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #4513
    January 2013
    398 Posts
    I love the posing on this one. Where are these dudes from? I wanna make a gun pose or a giant firefight with those models.
    those are ComradIvan's models. u can download it from here https://vk.com/comradivan

34. Post #4514
    April 2015
    960 Posts
    I don't claim to be anything other than a casual 40K fan so please don't lynch me because I gave these guys the wrong gear or armor configurations or something.
    I saw this wargame tabletop map and I was like "AAAAH, I HAVE TO MAKE 40K MINIATURE POSES".

35. Post #4515
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    4,134 Posts
    Why would we lynch you? O_o. Nice poses btw, I made a tabletop prop that's more detailed in my latest pack if you wanna use that.

36. Post #4516
    April 2015
    960 Posts
    In my experience on the internet it's just safe to assume most fanbases are rabid enough to tear you apart for the most minor inconsistencies.

37. Post #4517
    January 2013
    398 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Edge Korea, Republic of Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #4518
    January 2015
    417 Posts
    ComradIvan posted pics of them in ports and hacks thread about a week ago. They're MW2/3 Russians, but made using MWR and R6S parts. Those particular models are meant to be Russian spec ops from MW3. Not sure when he plans to release them.

39. Post #4519
    September 2015
    252 Posts
    ComradIvan posted pics of them in ports and hacks thread about a week ago. They're MW2/3 Russians, but made using MWR and R6S parts. Those particular models are meant to be Russian spec ops from MW3. Not sure when he plans to release them.
    It's on his VK page