1. Post #2081
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    650 Posts
    I use both Mac and Windows and I don't really see a difference in my opinion. Maybe like slight design differences but the programs the same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

2. Post #2082
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    4,011 Posts
    i think most people will use whatever computer they happen to own

3. Post #2083
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    12,246 Posts
    i think most people will use whatever computer they happen to own
    Yea, but within the industry, it seems like mostly macs, and compatibility is annoying especially with HDDs.

4. Post #2084
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    4,011 Posts
    that is industry though

most people in this thread are amateurs?

these are two very different arguments

5. Post #2085
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    650 Posts
    Don't have pictures of it right now but my school just got a Epson 9900 and its amazing. To put it into perspective the biggest printer we had before this was a Epson 4900. I already did a 40" x 30" print. It came out terrible but my boss told me to do it so...

6. Post #2086
    January 2011
    788 Posts
    This, heavy lenses can weigh down your ballhead, if its vertical, your camera might slide slowly.

Also, what os do you guys use for Post processing and DI? Mac or windows?

I know almost everyone in the industry uses Mac, but what's wrong with windows?
    All the adobe programs are exactly the same on osx and windows, also more pro-level stuff like Capture one is exactly the same on both

There's a few odd things that you can only get on either windows or osx but I can't think of any off the top of my head

For hard drive compatability format as exFAT and you can use it on both

Edited:

I have a mac and a pc but I prefer using windows, just feels much faster and more efficient - finder is a really weird piece of software for folder and file management

Edited:

I actually ended up putting windows on my macbook for a bit because osx kept pissing me off lol

7. Post #2087
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    12,246 Posts
    that is industry though

most people in this thread are amateurs?

these are two very different arguments
    Yes, but industry or not, there is a tendency that macs or macbooks are recommended for photography, videography and graphic design

8. Post #2088
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    6,397 Posts
    because mac is plug and play and in general their displays are better than windows laptops.

9. Post #2089
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    6,576 Posts
    for workstations it seems to not matter but for laptops apple seems pretty top notch

10. Post #2090
    Rate Me Dumb

December 2016
    869 Posts
    Aren't Apple's monitors generally more color-accurate long-term? I thought they had fewer issues with drift, but that might be an early 2000s legacy thing. I'm not really up on modern computing hardware.

11. Post #2091
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,674 Posts
    as best as I can tell, the whole mac vs. pc argument (as it relates to designers and photographers) is based in 2000s and early 2010s hardware and nowadays there is functionally little to no difference between the two, unless you're shelling out mad $$$ for a huge retina display or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Opera United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #2092
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,190 Posts
    Hey I remember someone posting that it would be interesting to see how differently people edit images and I thought about it just now and was thinking of making a thread about it. But I only really have my own raw files so if we all post an unedited picture in this thread we can all vote and get a say in what picture we all edit and then we make a thread for it?

I think it's easiest if we only count agree votes so rate agree on the image you think we should edit. Votes on your own pictures doesn't count.
    Let's have a deadline on Tuesday 17:00 GMT +2, the one with the most agrees then will be the one we edit and a separate thread will be created.

This is my unedited contribution:

Here's the link to the raw file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bps48ukvhc..._6186.NEF?dl=0
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #2093
    Rate Me Dumb

December 2016
    869 Posts
    I think that's a great idea.

As an aside, I kind of misread your post and edited the picture you posted. I like how it turned out, and I think there's a lot of creative opportunity in something like this.

Here's my take on yours, if you're interested.

14. Post #2094
    The ButtPunch
    Dennab
    November 2011
    1,066 Posts

ohh pick me pick me

Edited:

why is this being rated funny i worked hard on this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #2095
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    November 2011
    11,899 Posts
    Yeah, did you mean we post before-and-afters of our own photos or how we edit the same RAW?

Because if the latter, here's mine

16. Post #2096
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,190 Posts
    Jesus guys you're supposed to post your own unedited images and then we make a thread jeez, you all get C minus for bad reading.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #2097
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    November 2011
    11,899 Posts
    Hey you weren't being very clear so we're all in the wrong here But I think the idea is good regardless
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #2098
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,190 Posts
    It was probably clearer in my head...
    So if you're up for it post your unedited pictures and then tomorrow we'll make a thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

19. Post #2099
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,122 Posts
    It was definitely clear if you read the whole post instead of just skimming it [/aggression]

I think it sounds like a good idea, though I have no good raw to submit myself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #2100
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    8,907 Posts
    so does anyone here have any experience with b&w photography with old cameras (maybe even a Kodak Vest Pocket camera?), and then the development/printing process for the film?

21. Post #2101
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    6,649 Posts
    Jesus guys you're supposed to post your own unedited images and then we make a thread jeez, you all get C minus for bad reading.
    I remember suggesting that a while ago, but my idea was everyone editing the same photo. What sense would it make for you to post an unedited one without an edited one after that???

22. Post #2102
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,122 Posts
    The idea is for everyone to offer up their own raw images, and then the community decides "we vote that this would be the most interesting photo for everyone to edit" instead of everyone posting a bunch of raw photos and only one or two people editing each one because there'd be so many. If everyone picks one to stick with for a bit, you'd see a lot more edits to compare, I would think.

rip merge btw sorry

23. Post #2103
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    6,649 Posts

http://houseofvanslondon.com/events/...-festival-2017

So anybody here in London the next weeks? I got an email yesterday saying a photo of mine will be exhibited in the IPF Photo Festival 2017. There will be a voting happening besides the Jury's picks, so please come over and bring friends to vote for mine!

if youre curious, here's mine

Also I'll be there a few days, if you want to hang out and shoot, let me know
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #2104
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,190 Posts
    The idea is for everyone to offer up their own raw images, and then the community decides "we vote that this would be the most interesting photo for everyone to edit" instead of everyone posting a bunch of raw photos and only one or two people editing each one because there'd be so many. If everyone picks one to stick with for a bit, you'd see a lot more edits to compare, I would think.
    Exactly!

25. Post #2105
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,674 Posts
    I like this idea. Should we make a thread and then post submissions there or start here?

26. Post #2106
    Rate Me Dumb

December 2016
    869 Posts
    Well, we've already fucked it, so maybe making a new thread wouldn't be a bad idea.

27. Post #2107
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,190 Posts
    Yeah that's true, I can make one in a bit otherwise if you guys feel up to it go ahead

28. Post #2108
    The ButtPunch
    Dennab
    November 2011
    1,066 Posts
    wait so did mine win

29. Post #2109
    Rate Me Dumb

December 2016
    869 Posts
    wait so did mine win
    Yes, Kirby. Yes it did.

30. Post #2110
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,190 Posts

31. Post #2111
    The ButtPunch
    Dennab
    November 2011
    1,066 Posts
    fuk ye, i'd like to thank my parents, my dog, my cockatiel, and my sponsor, rockstar monster energy, for giving me the power to edit that poop-ass photo into something good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

32. Post #2112
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,190 Posts
    Here's your trophy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

33. Post #2113
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,900 Posts
    me checking on the photo threads
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #2114
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    6,397 Posts
    you'll get used to it, there's always a moment when things get heated. usually happens once a year.

35. Post #2115
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    3,631 Posts
    So I've been using a Kogan-branded 64GB SD card ever since I bought my camera from the same site. Unfortunately, it's an un-named brand SD card which has had the tendency of corrupting some of my photos for no reason. I've finally put my foot down and bought another SD card, but I'm not sure this one is good either. So now I have two questions:

1. This is the card. The guy behind the counter basically chose this one and said it was better than Sandisk, which was what I actually wanted. But I digress.

It's called the AMICROE 'Professional Grade' SDXC 64GB Extreme. Apparently, AMICROE just closed its doors and fired most of its staff to transition to cloud computing, so I have no idea what the specs are on this or how good the quality is. I think I still have a receipt if I need to return it...
    Also apparently their SD cards are made by Transcend but I can't get a source on that.

I tested it using CrystalDiskMark, but I only have a crappy China-made USB 3.0 SD card to USB multiport adapter to test it with so results may vary:

Not sure how good this is, can someone let me know please? It's probably way overpriced ($110 AUD)

2. How do I recover or fix corrupted/damaged images? The photo shop that I bought the SD card from said he could do it but I'm pretty sure it can be done for less than $65 dollars. I used an online demo for the first corrupted one I could find and it was perfectly fine except for a big watermark the website put onto the photo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #2116
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    10,516 Posts
    he sold you that because he makes $5 on the sandisk and $50 on that

Edited:

i shoot somewhere around 100,000 raw images a year, probs more. i only use sandisk extreme pro cards
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Internet Explorer 5 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #2117
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    3,631 Posts
    he sold you that because he makes $5 on the sandisk and $50 on that

Edited:

i shoot somewhere around 100,000 raw images a year, probs more. i only use sandisk extreme pro cards
    I'm guessing then that it's terrible compared to the Sandisk. Funnily enough though I saw he only had the 32gb Sandisk extreme, so I suppose he was trying to justify the decision to choose this one....

Anyway, do you happen to know anything about recovering images if they are 'corrupted'?

38. Post #2118
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    3,631 Posts
    Alright it turns out he did just have the SanDisk but in a different form. I went back and slightly haggled and snagged this for the same price because apparently he doesn't do refunds for products (understandable for cameras, not so much for SD cards)

So I got a SanDisk Extreme Pro microSDXC UHS-1 card with an SD card adapter. It was $85 dollars more (!!!)

Results below:

Now all I need to find is image recovery software. Any tips?

39. Post #2119
    November 2010
    248 Posts
    Where the hell are you buying your SD cards?! Officeworks has Sandisk 64GB Class 10 cards for $50, that's about how much I got mine for.

40. Post #2120
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    3,631 Posts
    Where the hell are you buying your SD cards?! Officeworks has Sandisk 64GB Class 10 cards for $50, that's about how much I got mine for.
    That's only 40mB per second but in the end that's probably what I needed so jokes on me for not doing enough research beforehand. Sort of bought the original card in an unecessary rush...