1. Post #2281
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    618 Posts
    Just get what you can afford or already have and take pictures. You will only be a better photographer if you take pictures.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

2. Post #2282
    Rate Me Dumb

December 2016
    869 Posts
    I'll second this. I just replaced my aging DSLR with my Google Pixel, a beastgrip camera rig, and an anamorphic lens/DOF adapter + filters, and it honestly spits out better quality images than I ever got on that DSLR. As long as you know how to use the tools you have available to you and respect their weaknesses the world of photography is open to you.
    Sounds like an interesting setup. Have you posted any of your work recently? I'd be interested to see how that's working for you.

I've got a Pixel myself. Beautiful camera on that thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #2283
    January 2011
    923 Posts
    So today one of the teachers I work with gave me a Canon G10 for free. Now, I don't know much about it (plus battery was dead) but in terms of photographing, how does it compare to modern cameras today? In the photography department they mainly use Canon 400Da and Canon 1100Ds. I would say this though, immediately holding the G10 you can see it was built to last and it is surprisingly compact and light.
    In my opinion, this camera is plenty capable. You might not have the same level of control as you would with a higher end camera, but I loved the G11 (really similar to G10) I used before getting a DSLR. Really felt like a good place to start.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #2284
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    3,215 Posts
    Sounds like an interesting setup. Have you posted any of your work recently? I'd be interested to see how that's working for you.

I've got a Pixel myself. Beautiful camera on that thing.
    Nothing I'm happy enough with to share, but I'll post something good for you soon!

5. Post #2285
    Glod Menber
    June 2008
    4,121 Posts
    I have been borrowing my dad's old Yashica since I started shooting film, and I've been thinking of getting a camera of my own.
    I don't know what to get though, I have a Nikon DSLR but all the lenses for it are gelded so they don't work on most SLRs. I have some m42 lenses but the most expensive one is a $60 Mir.
    Basically, I'm thinking either something like a Nikon F3 or maybe a Pentax Spotmatic (or something that can be adapted to m42 without a correcting lens).

I'm just thinking about all this right now so I have no set budget, but cheap is nice. I guess the plus with a Nikon is that any lens I get for the SLR would work on the DSLR (D7000), right?

6. Post #2286
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,488 Posts
    I have been borrowing my dad's old Yashica since I started shooting film, and I've been thinking of getting a camera of my own.
    I don't know what to get though, I have a Nikon DSLR but all the lenses for it are gelded so they don't work on most SLRs. I have some m42 lenses but the most expensive one is a $60 Mir.
    Basically, I'm thinking either something like a Nikon F3 or maybe a Pentax Spotmatic (or something that can be adapted to m42 without a correcting lens).

I'm just thinking about all this right now so I have no set budget, but cheap is nice. I guess the plus with a Nikon is that any lens I get for the SLR would work on the DSLR (D7000), right?
    Literally any K mount Pentax will work out of the box with a 10 dollar adapter and you can probably find a K1000 for less than 50 USD. I have a K1000 and Canon EOS Rebel 2000 with adapters and they give me no trouble except the Canon's focusing screen isn't designed for manual/I didn't shell out for an adapter with AF confirm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #2287
    June 2007
    1,306 Posts
    In my opinion, this camera is plenty capable. You might not have the same level of control as you would with a higher end camera, but I loved the G11 (really similar to G10) I used before getting a DSLR. Really felt like a good place to start.
    You're definitely right when you say it feels like a beginners camera - which is a great thing for me. Luckily the battery charged fine and there wasn't a single scratch on the screen and lens. I really like how it feels, it's got a very sturdy, rugged and compact build quality to it. (Even when you look through the view finder you can see the lens poking out from the bottom) One nice thing about the G10 it is that you can see your live alterations to iso and f-stop on the screen which isn't apparent on the canon 1100D, oh and that iso wheel is pretty neato. Maybe I'm gushing over it too much as I did get it for free... I'm going to take a few photographs tomorrow with the flash lighting and put it through its paces.

8. Post #2288
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    8,035 Posts
    Literally any K mount Pentax will work out of the box with a 10 dollar adapter and you can probably find a K1000 for less than 50 USD. I have a K1000 and Canon EOS Rebel 2000 with adapters and they give me no trouble except the Canon's focusing screen isn't designed for manual/I didn't shell out for an adapter with AF confirm.
    I'm using a Pentax MX. You can get it for around the same price as a K1000, and I prefer how it handles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #2289
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,098 Posts
    I have been staring at these twelve images for nearly an entire week now, and I just can't narrow it down any further on my own. If any kind souls would have mercy on me enough to pick out your four favorites, and perhaps even 2-3 least favorites, it would really mean a lot, because I feel twelve photos from a shoot is just too many "best" photos.

Obviously any general thoughts or specific critiques would be amazing as well. The mage is a link to the flickr album.

10. Post #2290
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,868 Posts
    I faved some stuff. There's a couple in there that kinda do nothing for me really, like A-4 and A-5. Out of focus and the strand's in her face, both aspects that doesn't really add much to the image. A-6 and A-7 are much better shot imo, clearly see her face and I like how the grass frames her face.

Between A-11 and A-12, these are pretty tough. I like the smile of A-11 better but the look in here eyes in A-12 draws me more to the image honestly. Higlights are a bit hot on her face, idk if u can tone it down anymore.

A-2 and A-3 are both good but I like A-3 better, it's a nice clear portrait. The only thing holding back A-2 is the highlights on her face are pretty hot. A-1 is just kinda meh.

hope this helps
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #2291
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,098 Posts
    Yes that is 100/10 helpful and thank you so much. 4 and 5 I liked because they were "quirky" but it could have gone either way for other people enjoying them. 11 and 12 I was torn as well, but the highlights can definitely come down so I'm more interested in preference content-wise, because I'm just an inconsistent editor and can definitely apply the better edit to the better image.

Thanks again bb <3 If anyone else has addl thoughts let me know, I'd love to hear them <3

12. Post #2292
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    5,374 Posts
    What's a good Canon lens that has as little or no dof as possible?

13. Post #2293
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    10,423 Posts
    What's a good Canon lens that has as little or no dof as possible?
    yeah um we're gonna need more details
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Internet Explorer 5 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

14. Post #2294
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    5,374 Posts
    yeah um we're gonna need more details
    I do stuff for video games and basically I'm going to be taking pictures of objects and surfaces in order to make textures/objects out of them. I'd like to try and get very little dof so that way all the details show up crisp and defined.

15. Post #2295
    Just set my homepage to blackass.com
    January 2007
    1,484 Posts
    I do stuff for video games and basically I'm going to be taking pictures of objects and surfaces in order to make textures/objects out of them. I'd like to try and get very little dof so that way all the details show up crisp and defined.
    You want more DOF, not less. You should prioritize focal length, distortion, and overall sharpness first - most any lens you find will suit you for DOF
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #2296
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    10,423 Posts
    even a 50 1.8 will do it, just stop it down to f/8 and you're golden
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Internet Explorer 5 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #2297
    shatteredwindow's Boy Toy
    April 2010
    5,931 Posts
    Flickr keeps getting stuck on "publishing" is it down or something?

18. Post #2298
    shatteredwindow's Boy Toy
    April 2010
    5,931 Posts
    Flickr keeps getting stuck on "publishing" is it down or something?
    its cool I think its flickr, I just ended up uploading 443 fucking duplicates
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #2299
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    20,508 Posts
    I just deactivated my DeviantArt account. Felt weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

20. Post #2300
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,098 Posts
    eheh

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

21. Post #2301
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    6,549 Posts
    getting those kickass 0 f-stop pics

22. Post #2302
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,098 Posts
    Finally getting to do this shoot after months of planning and worrying, so crazy happy right now, taking more photos tomorrow aw yisss

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #2303
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,144 Posts
    Cool pic!
    Is it a rust promo shoot?
    Why is there an fp logo on the armpatch?

24. Post #2304
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,098 Posts
    Thanks! 393 was the old airsoft subforum. There's very few of us left, I think, we just have an FB group and a discord that I never actually visit, but I have the patches so I'm repping whenever I can.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #2305
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,618 Posts
    Thanks! 393 was the old airsoft subforum. There's very few of us left, I think, we just have an FB group and a discord that I never actually visit, but I have the patches so I'm repping whenever I can. Check it (didn't edit this one)

I have that red and white patch too! Haven't played airsoft in many years though, and rarely visited the forum when I did
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Opera United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #2306
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    11,742 Posts
    Quite cool, though it'll also be cool if you dust her up a bit, make it a bit more gritty
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Singapore Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #2307
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,098 Posts
    I do want to do this, but I also have to be mindful not to make a mess at our location, so it'll probably be pretty subtle.

28. Post #2308
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,144 Posts
    I guess if you do it with make up and not actual dust it will be fine?
    I'm sure there's some stuff to do that for clothes as well but it might not be worth paying for such a thing.

29. Post #2309
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    11,742 Posts
    I do want to do this, but I also have to be mindful not to make a mess at our location, so it'll probably be pretty subtle.
    For sweat and perspiration, a basic spray bottle with a bit of water and glycerine will give that effect.

You can buy from army shops those camo paint, and you can make it look worn off together with your sweat spray.

Or you know, ask her to go run 1 mile

Wait, indoors only?

30. Post #2310
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,098 Posts
    I already committed and dumped dirt all over everything for tonight's photos. It's actually somewhat cathartic.

And yes, indoors only because we don't want someone to call the police on us if people are walking around past our location.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

31. Post #2311
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    11,742 Posts
    I already committed and dumped dirt all over everything for tonight's photos. It's actually somewhat cathartic.

And yes, indoors only because we don't want someone to call the police on us if people are walking around past our location.
    The dirt looks great. And you could also add some poses, like leaning against the wall, sorta like 'I just went through combat and takin a rest' kinda look.

32. Post #2312
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,098 Posts
    Got it covered bb <3 All kinds of cool ideas for today!

(this is yesterday ofc)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

33. Post #2313
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    4,080 Posts
    started out looking for a cheap body (400d/450d) for a friend ended up buying myself a a6000 for 400 in box with kit lens, good choice?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #2314
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    4,080 Posts
    if you have a e mount camera what lens or lenses do you use? i was a bit worried about the 16-50 coming from canon with there poor kit lens but opinions seem split on it it got good reviews from people like ken rockwell but a lot of users shit on it

e mount lenses all seem quite expensive with no must have like the nifty fifty, the SEL16F28 and SEL35F18 stand out as decent options but the 35mm is pretty expensive

35. Post #2315
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,993 Posts
    My girlfriend has just bought an a6000, and I was thinking about getting her a lens for her birthday. So I second what waylander is saying. Looking for a nice prime or something?

36. Post #2316

February 2006
    1,195 Posts
    I still have to recommend the Sigma 30mm 2.8 as best bang for your buck. It's a pretty versatile fov and is plenty sharp at 2.8. The AF is limited to center points and is a bit slower than Sony lenses. My upgrade pick would be the Sony 35 1.8, the OSS and extra speed can make a big difference on the a6k when it starts getting dark.

If you want something wider, I would have the Sigma 19mm over the Sony 20mm pancake unless you are going for extreme portability. For the MF enthusiasts, I recommend the Zonlai 25mm which is microscopic and very fun to use, if not a bit soft.

If you want something longer, the 50mm 1.8 is actualy pretty great (SEL50F18). On the a6k, it's almost impossible to tell the difference between it and the Sony Zeiss 55 1.8 which is stellar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #2317
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    4,080 Posts
    the sigma's look nice you can get the 19 and 30 for the price of the sony 35mm