1. Post #3281

July 2011
    255 Posts
    ~Continued from last page:

Okay, just did a fresh install of Unity, and kept all my existing projects in a completely different folder. I've created a new project from scratch, and now I'm not getting the crashes any more. I'm gonna try loading in one of my previous projects, and see if that breaks everything again.

EDIT:
    Now my graphics card is locking any time I try to open that first, basic project, made on a fresh install. This after updating my graphics drivers, and re-installing Unity about 5 times now. What the fuck is happening?

2. Post #3282
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,583 Posts
    Who was the unity dev in here that was making a game which merged 2d elements in a 3d environment?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3283
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    12,904 Posts
    ~Continued from last page:

Okay, just did a fresh install of Unity, and kept all my existing projects in a completely different folder. I've created a new project from scratch, and now I'm not getting the crashes any more. I'm gonna try loading in one of my previous projects, and see if that breaks everything again.

EDIT:
    Now my graphics card is locking any time I try to open that first, basic project, made on a fresh install. This after updating my graphics drivers, and re-installing Unity about 5 times now. What the fuck is happening?
    Sounds super freaky and best of all it's not happening to me so I can't help.

Anyway here's what I'd do in your situation.

1. File a bug report.

2. Complain on unity answers where people running into bizarre issues with unity is the norm. Or alternatively do so on the forums which is the same thing just with a different format.

3. Bake your graphics card at 375F until it develops a crispy texture.

4. Serve your graphics card with potatoes and tomato sauce to the trashcan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera Czech Republic Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #3284

July 2011
    255 Posts
    Sounds super freaky and best of all it's not happening to me so I can't help.

Anyway here's what I'd do in your situation.

1. File a bug report.

2. Complain on unity answers where people running into bizarre issues with unity is the norm. Or alternatively do so on the forums which is the same thing just with a different format.

3. Bake your graphics card at 375F until it develops a crispy texture.

4. Serve your graphics card with potatoes and tomato sauce to the trashcan.
    TBot Alpha here with the fucked o'clock news. This just in: my graphics card is fucked.

I'm now getting the same lock-up when I try to run any program that uses 3D graphics. Blender, Worldbuilder... even Age of Mythology, a game that came out 15 years ago, causes it to lock up.

It's at least comforting to know this isn't a problem strictly limited to Unity. Seems more like my graphics card has broken somehow. But it first went wrong while running Unity, so I just don't know. And my card should have all kinds of safeties in place to avoid being overloaded...

Anyway, this is more of a tech issue than a game development issue. I'll ask around other places for help. Just wanted to vent. Sorry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6 (list)

5. Post #3285
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    8,584 Posts
    What frameworks do you guys happen to use when making 2D games? Been thinking of trying my hand at making some small games again. I''m familiar with OpenGL and SFML but figured there might be some better combos out there for making 2D games with C++, without using pre-made engines.

6. Post #3286
    March 2014
    3,504 Posts
    Building some POM deformation stuff for surface material examples in an asset pack I'm working on. Particles are placeholder, just stock starter assets.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

7. Post #3287
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    5,372 Posts
    Curious, why are you going with POM over tessellation? Seems like blending between textures is easier with tessellation to me.

8. Post #3288
    March 2014
    3,504 Posts
    Curious, why are you going with POM over tessellation? Seems like blending between textures is easier with tessellation to me.
    In my experience, with big flat surfaces like basic floors and walls, there's typically not enough vertex density, even with tessellation, to yield accurate results with tessellated displacement. I tried but didn't like how it looked, I may give it another go if I can't drive the POM instruction count down.

9. Post #3289
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,045 Posts
    Touched up my title screen again. I feel like it's pretty much done now, this title screen, minus the sub-menus and the missing fade-transition to the introduction.

Anything more and it might just become garish and cluttered.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7 (list)

10. Post #3290

Lit 🔥 Member

February 2011
    21,360 Posts
    why did you go with a pixel font?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

11. Post #3291
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,045 Posts
    To demonstrate it's a (old) physical computer interface. Also trying to intentionally clash with the fantasy elements to help establish the "fantasy world built around the bones of ancient future technology " theme of the setting.

Edit: I'm still not totally satisfied with its look though. Here's the same asset in an in-game context:

12. Post #3292
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,019 Posts
    I don't think the pixel fonts work well here given that the HUD looks more like a typewriter than DOS.
    I'd recommend adding some sort of scanline filter onto the interface.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Vivaldi Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

13. Post #3293
    I'm Better Than You
    August 2008
    7,625 Posts
    crt shader that shit

14. Post #3294
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    2,045 Posts
    Hrm. Not sure how to do that in the context I've got it in. It's being programmatically created by an add-on presently. Tried it out last night and managed to RT-texture the in-game Canvas -- but the RT texture had a black BG and didn't conform well to the screen. I'll look into it though, see what I can do.

15. Post #3295
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,779 Posts
    Vector display!

16. Post #3296

Lit 🔥 Member

February 2011
    21,360 Posts
    heres a little thing i did for fun in the last couple days

https://streamable.com/xinvw
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #3297
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,293 Posts
    http://studenthome.hku.nl/~jesse.van...tor/index.html

Making a Sword Generator for uni :D
    Don't think I can put unity webgl links here right?

Here's a webm, though.
    https://my.mixtape.moe/keehnh.webm
    Made 'em fight eachother

Edit:
    Another one with extra cinematic cameras
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 10Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #3298
    Jaykin Bacon: Episode 3
    May 2005
    2,574 Posts
    Just a general heads up, there are a lot of videos on YouTube pretending to offer free weapon sounds for games and they end up just being rips from other games. One example I've seen today links to a dodgy website where you have to sign in with social media and it gives the site full access to your social media account of choice.

Insurgency seems to be a pretty popular target for this kind of sound effect piracy as there have been a couple of games that ended up on Steam that contained direct rips of sounds from it. Please be aware if you put sounds in your game from those kind of sources.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #3299

July 2011
    255 Posts
    TBot Alpha here with the fucked o'clock news. This just in: my graphics card is fucked.

I'm now getting the same lock-up when I try to run any program that uses 3D graphics. Blender, Worldbuilder... even Age of Mythology, a game that came out 15 years ago, causes it to lock up.

It's at least comforting to know this isn't a problem strictly limited to Unity. Seems more like my graphics card has broken somehow. But it first went wrong while running Unity, so I just don't know. And my card should have all kinds of safeties in place to avoid being overloaded...

Anyway, this is more of a tech issue than a game development issue. I'll ask around other places for help. Just wanted to vent. Sorry.
    I know I said I'd ask elsewhere about this problem, but I think I just resolved it, and want to share.

Turns out it was a hardware problem, but not the kind I was expecting. The inside of my computer was full of several years' worth of dust (having not been opened since I installed my graphics card), and I think things were finally starting to overheat. The fan on my motherboard was choked with dust, and one of my hard-drives was so caked in the stuff that I couldn't even read the label on it.

I spent a few hours today taking my computer apart, dusting off and hoovering every component, then putting it all back together again. It seems stable so far. I can run 3D programs, both old and new, and run Unity. I'm feeling optimistic about this solution.

So, there you go. Don't make the mistake I did: clean out your computer from time to time, and you'll avoid a lot of aggro.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #3300
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    4,436 Posts
    I decided to dust of my old hitman esque stealth game that I started in gamemaker a couple of months ago. I quit the project when I couldn't figure out how to make cones of vision for the enemies. Something like this. Does anyone here know how I could accomplish that?

oh and have some simple door mechanics

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

21. Post #3301
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    6,686 Posts
    I know I said I'd ask elsewhere about this problem, but I think I just resolved it, and want to share.

Turns out it was a hardware problem, but not the kind I was expecting. The inside of my computer was full of several years' worth of dust (having not been opened since I installed my graphics card), and I think things were finally starting to overheat. The fan on my motherboard was choked with dust, and one of my hard-drives was so caked in the stuff that I couldn't even read the label on it.

I spent a few hours today taking my computer apart, dusting off and hoovering every component, then putting it all back together again. It seems stable so far. I can run 3D programs, both old and new, and run Unity. I'm feeling optimistic about this solution.

So, there you go. Don't make the mistake I did: clean out your computer from time to time, and you'll avoid a lot of aggro.
    I clean mine out annually because of dog fur slowly clogging it up. Fortunately I can audibly tell if my computer is heating up because the fans are generally quiet until a certain temp threshold.

22. Post #3302
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,587 Posts
    Who was the unity dev in here that was making a game which merged 2d elements in a 3d environment?
    You're not talking about me, are you?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #3303
    Garb is the dry stuff in the corner of your eyes when you just wake up.
    May 2010
    1,867 Posts
    i had an idea for a pseudo 3d character thing so i whipped up a little protoype

the idea is that I can quickly generate new characters with unique properties in code opposed to hand drawing/animating everything at different angles saving a bunch of time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #3304
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    4,398 Posts
    I haven't given up yet, but my biggest barrier to releasing something is art though so I've been working on that.

I am not very good though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

25. Post #3305
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    12,904 Posts

*video of the player not getting rapidly slapped across the face by a batshit insane door*
    congratulations, your game is officially technically more impressive than both hotline miami games

Edited:

Also, for your question about field of view, I don't know how you'd do it in gamemaker but the rough idea is that you send a bunch of rays from the player towards every corner in the scene, then fill in the parts between them that the player shouldn't be able to see.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera Czech Republic Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #3306
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,583 Posts
    You're not talking about me, are you?
    I think so, how are you handling your environment? I remember seeing a breakdown of it in the past where you'd forced the perspective in Unity to fake it all? Are you still doing that because I know somebody who's interested in the style. I saw you had some issues with it though which made you had to choose a 3d character instead.

27. Post #3307
    Limed00d's bottom bitch
    March 2012
    804 Posts
    Here's a strange turn of events.

We just got Steven Moffat to test the VR game we're making

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 14 (list)

28. Post #3308
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    7,274 Posts
    I haven't given up yet, but my biggest barrier to releasing something is art though so I've been working on that.

I am not very good though.
    Mesh looks great! The texture work will be the hardest part I imagine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #3309
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,587 Posts
    I think so, how are you handling your environment? I remember seeing a breakdown of it in the past where you'd forced the perspective in Unity to fake it all? Are you still doing that because I know somebody who's interested in the style. I saw you had some issues with it though which made you had to choose a 3d character instead.
    We decided to try out redoing everything in a full 3D environment, as doing it 2D like that was giving us more trouble than it was worth.

The biggest issue we had was scaling. For a 3D object's pixels to not be skewed we have to scale the environment and everything in it by ~1.41 in the Z and Y axis. This made a lot of coding more complicated than we'd like, as even generating dungeons had to keep those scales in mind. As well, the way we were doing walls, wasn't optimal, and we actually would have been better off not using a 2D tile editor to design our levels. Don't let this stop your friend though, this style is still very much possible, you just have to keep these things in mind from the start.

If you have any more questions about the in depth parts of how we made this happen, I'll be happy to help. Just shoot me a PM, or add me on steam! (Same name)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

30. Post #3310
    March 2014
    3,504 Posts
    Added object deployment with surface snapping, made an accidentally funny gif.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Informative Informative x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #3311
    October 2016
    1,534 Posts
    I'm struggling to learn Blender. Like, I get the concept of modeling, but every time I try I get really fucking annoyed by just how clunky it feels and I sorta just push it all off and go back to coding or something else productive. Like, modeling is 200% something that just drives me insane with boredom and frustration, not because I can't grasp how to model either, but because it feels so clunky to do even the most simple things. Are there better alternatives to blender and I'm just dumb, or is it something that I just need to suck it up, tough it out and eventually it feels better?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

32. Post #3312
    March 2014
    3,504 Posts
    I'm struggling to learn Blender. Like, I get the concept of modeling, but every time I try I get really fucking annoyed by just how clunky it feels and I sorta just push it all off and go back to coding or something else productive. Like, modeling is 200% something that just drives me insane with boredom and frustration, not because I can't grasp how to model either, but because it feels so clunky to do even the most simple things. Are there better alternatives to blender and I'm just dumb, or is it something that I just need to suck it up, tough it out and eventually it feels better?
    In my experience, I wanted to be able to knock out models really fast when I first started out, and I'd get frustrated with how long it'd take me to do stuff, but over time the grind feels less grindy and now it's more enjoyable for me to focus on details and get lost in what I'm doing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #3313
    October 2016
    1,534 Posts
    In my experience, I wanted to be able to knock out models really fast when I first started out, and I'd get frustrated with how long it'd take me to do stuff, but over time the grind feels less grindy and now it's more enjoyable for me to focus on details and get lost in what I'm doing.
    It's frustrating partially because I feel like I should be able to do stuff with precision but half the time it's like, "move the mouse about and click but fuck you if you want to be precise because that shit isn't going to get precise oh and the cursor isn't bound to the window so you can run off the window and the click won't finalise the thing you're doing" Or "I ctrl-z to undo something and bam literally everything is fucked and you can't redo it, idk why too bad" It's largely user error probably, but I assume there has to be keybinds for this stuff but I haven't found a tutorial set that's actually taught me this kind of important stuff or anything.

Do you have any recommendations for tutorial material?

34. Post #3314
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,684 Posts
    Personally Ive never liked blender because I always found it unintuitive and clunky, but thats probably because I know 3ds max much better and Im used to it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

35. Post #3315
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,587 Posts
    It's frustrating partially because I feel like I should be able to do stuff with precision but half the time it's like, "move the mouse about and click but fuck you if you want to be precise because that shit isn't going to get precise oh and the cursor isn't bound to the window so you can run off the window and the click won't finalise the thing you're doing" Or "I ctrl-z to undo something and bam literally everything is fucked and you can't redo it, idk why too bad" It's largely user error probably, but I assume there has to be keybinds for this stuff but I haven't found a tutorial set that's actually taught me this kind of important stuff or anything.

Personally Ive never liked blender because I always found it unintuitive and clunky, but thats probably because I know 3ds max much better and Im used to it.
    Autodesk offers a Light version of Maya for like 30$ a month. (Which is pretty reasonable considering their otherwise ridiculous pricing)

I'd look into that if I were you, it's a lot more intuitive to use than Blender (but has it's own can of problems as well)

36. Post #3316
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,611 Posts
    I decided to dust of my old hitman esque stealth game that I started in gamemaker a couple of months ago. I quit the project when I couldn't figure out how to make cones of vision for the enemies. Something like this. Does anyone here know how I could accomplish that?

Theoretically it's quite easy to do with... uh... crap... forgot the name. My own stealth game got stalled a year ago when my life got turned upside down, and I haven't touched game maker since.

But there's a complete shader / lighting engine that you can buy for cheap $$ and it's relatively easy to use. And then you just make your enemies shine lights (you have to paint a lightmap with sharp edges first) and that's it.
    THere's one downside though: you can't really use any other light sources anymore then, as they'd blend in with your enemies' vision cones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Spain Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

37. Post #3317
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    3,217 Posts
    Theoretically it's quite easy to do with... uh... crap... forgot the name. My own stealth game got stalled a year ago when my life got turned upside down, and I haven't touched game maker since.

But there's a complete shader / lighting engine that you can buy for cheap $$ and it's relatively easy to use. And then you just make your enemies shine lights (you have to paint a lightmap with sharp edges first) and that's it.
    THere's one downside though: you can't really use any other light sources anymore then, as they'd blend in with your enemies' vision cones.
    Glare?

This might be useful, it's free:
    https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/as...72/fast-lights
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

38. Post #3318
    October 2016
    1,534 Posts
    Autodesk offers a Light version of Maya for like 30$ a month. (Which is pretty reasonable considering their otherwise ridiculous pricing)

I'd look into that if I were you, it's a lot more intuitive to use than Blender (but has it's own can of problems as well)
    That's still pretty expensive. Though luckily autodesk has good student licensing so I might just abuse that until I know if I like it enough to buy or not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #3319
    Official worst poster 2011
    June 2007
    8,596 Posts
    Well, whipped this up in a few hours. Quick test of moving and shooting as they stand right now with my abominable programmer art.

Honestly I feel like I may have fucked myself in a way choosing to go with a 3/4 Castle-Wolfenstein perspective instead of just going top-down.

40. Post #3320
    September 2008
    1,158 Posts

Usually if I want precision, I'll use the g key to move things instead. You can use that in combo with the number keys to move objects/vertices/etc. by specific units.

As for the undo erasing literally everything, that's a tricky thing I've noticed sometimes with regards to what mode you're editing in. For example, if you edit a bunch of stuff in edit mode, then go to object mode and undo, it'll go back to the last object mode step, not what you did in edit mode, which could result in everything you've done in edit mode since then being undone. Just gotta watch out what mode you're in when you undo.

There's an imagine I've seen around that shows most of the keys people generally use:

It looks really intimidating, but it's a pretty poorly-formatted image tbh. A lot of it you can ignore for now, the main ones you want are: tab for switching between object mode/edit mode, G for moving objects/vertices/etc., S for scaling, R for rotating, x/y/z while doing any of these things for affecting a specific axis, and twice for local axis, and using the number keys with any of these things to do them in specific units.

I also have my controls set up differently. I use left click for selecting/moving stuff, not right. I also have middle-click as panning and right-click as rotating. It feels a lot more intuitive for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)