1. Post #2281
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,215 Posts
    That's exactly what I'm aiming for; gonna add headlights, rear lights, and flashing police lights! Since it's going to be a murder map, I'm trying to figure out ways I can make it more interactive, but I also don't wanna go over the brush limit. Any suggestions?
    Brush limit is pretty hard to hit without doing something really crazy.

This was well under the limit even after I finished the seating and added a concourse.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 7 (list)

2. Post #2282
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,563 Posts

This was well under the limit even after I finished the seating and added a concourse.

I remember seeing the WIPs of that ages ago, did you ever finish this?
    It's amazing how great things can look even with just dev textures
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #2283
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,215 Posts
    I remember seeing the WIPs of that ages ago, did you ever finish this?
    It's amazing how great things can look even with just dev textures
    Not really. The building itself is pretty much done, but I never got gameplay where I wanted it. I may release it for gmod.

4. Post #2284
    February 2017
    179 Posts
    Not really. The building itself is pretty much done, but I never got gameplay where I wanted it. I may release it for gmod.
    You should. You could detail it out with propper and I'm sure it'd be cool to run around in, it'd definitely be a one of a kind map.

Is it all textured out? If you have later pictures I'd love to see, if you're cool sharing them

5. Post #2285
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    137 Posts
    DEAR GOD ITS STILL WORKING

Seriously though, is there any actual limit to entdata? I haven't had any issues with it being that high.
    The only thing you need to be careful of is reaching the edict limit. You can see how many edicts your map currently uses by typing status in console.

If you run out of edicts your server will crash.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #2286
    April 2011
    815 Posts
    The only thing you need to be careful of is reaching the edict limit. You can see how many edicts your map currently uses by typing status in console.

If you run out of edicts your server will crash.
    Hmm when typing "status" in console I can't seem to see how many edicts my map uses in singleplayer or a multiplayer server from within Garry's Mod. Does that only show up if you're on a dedicated server? Is there another way to see the number of edicts? (this probably belongs in the question megathread, but hey)

Call me crazy, but...

7. Post #2287
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,215 Posts
    You should. You could detail it out with propper and I'm sure it'd be cool to run around in, it'd definitely be a one of a kind map.

Is it all textured out? If you have later pictures I'd love to see, if you're cool sharing them
    Not completely, but here's some more up to date pictures.

Also is anyone else doing this 50 hour mapping contest?

http://www.runthinkshootlive.com/pos...epistle3ville/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 12 (list)

8. Post #2288
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    2,522 Posts
    I'm starting to make custom soundscapes for my map. What is the proper way to get them working with Gmod? Do I just name it soundscape_nameofmymap and it will automatically load? Do I also need to add it the soundscapes_manifest file to test in Ep2?

9. Post #2289
    October 2015
    420 Posts
    I'm starting to make custom soundscapes for my map. What is the proper way to get them working with Gmod? Do I just name it soundscape_nameofmymap and it will automatically load? Do I also need to add it the soundscapes_manifest file to test in Ep2?
    Yep just soundscape_mapname in Gmod/scripts :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #2290
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,215 Posts

The map I'm making for the 50 hour Ep3 contest. I have a feeling it's the same thing everyone else is making.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 2Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #2291

May 2011
    1 Posts
    Just finished my Black Lodge map.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari Russian Federation Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #2292
    Dennab
    April 2017
    58 Posts
    Not much at the moment but this is my current progress of turning gm_fork into a city rp map.

(Before any questions are raised about there being any permission to use it, the fp release thread states that it can be used for any purposes, and of course i will give original credit lmao)

This is my fave screenshot since it shows the high skybox, i've actually made the skybox high as fuck on this map and just included a trigger hurt at a certain height so it doesn't get rediculous lol.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

13. Post #2293
    September 2016
    119 Posts
    has anyone here made an rp map? id like some advice on things such as layout, buildings, etc

14. Post #2294
    September 2008
    61 Posts
    A lil' throwback to 2011 :)
    Isn't that the wafflebro?

15. Post #2295
    January 2017
    9 Posts

I wanted to see how many similar-looking wood textures I could use creatively and got a bit carried away .
    Not sure if it makes sense as a house. The front facade fades in as a hallucinatory effect of what it used to look like in the past, before it got possessed by ghosts or some shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Czech Republic Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #2296
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    5,665 Posts
    has anyone here made an rp map? id like some advice on things such as layout, buildings, etc
    is it for darkrp?

If yes I have a few tips.

-Keep It Simple Stupid.
    Most players are dumb. They go wherever it's easiest to go to. Having the general playspaces being wide and open, and connectors being easy to spot ensures dumb people can find the nearest gun shop. However, once you have your basic route, be sure to add little side alleys that allow players to explore and reward map knowledge.

-Make sure spawn is close to everything.
    The further people have to walk, the less the area is used. Try to keep iconic buildings as well as important structures scattered around the map, but close to spawn.

-Have 2 at most entrances to a place.
    Most people like little hideyholes they can do stuff in. More entrances means more breach points.

-Transaction windows are great.

-Flat sucks.
    Add a lot of height variance to your buildings and structures. Players love to get up high. Having a flat playing field makes long stretches of roads boring and unfun to traverse.

-Don't go too big.
    Contrary to what people think, bigger is not fun. The ideal rp space should be large enough to convey a city, but small enough to ensure encounters with other players will happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

17. Post #2297
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,215 Posts

Submitted what I had with a few minutes left. I didn't get as much done as I wanted, but I'm still pretty happy with it. I've never managed to finish a mapping contest before, so getting this much done in 2 days was nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 4Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #2298
    September 2016
    119 Posts

In the process of creating an RP map; cookie to whoever can guess where it's supposed to take place
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

19. Post #2299
    April 2011
    815 Posts

In the process of creating an RP map; cookie to whoever can guess where it's supposed to take place
    I like it but it might look even better if the sun angle isn't so steep. Reminds me of Miami.

20. Post #2300
    September 2016
    119 Posts

Edited:

I like it but it might look even better if the sun angle isn't so steep. Reminds me of Miami.
    Yeah, I'm working on fixing the sun angle

21. Post #2301
    January 2017
    9 Posts
    I'm reminded of Just Cause 2

22. Post #2302
    Oda
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    133 Posts

nodraw textures. that sets off my ocd so bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

23. Post #2303
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    2,575 Posts
    I don't know what you're using for reference but I think the merging lane should have flat markings so the merge starts much earlier, right now it's way too sudden imo

nodraw textures. that sets off my ocd so bad.
    what
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

24. Post #2304
    Portal 2: Abyss
    September 2009
    1,685 Posts

Actually, I went over the brush Limit when I was trying to make the WTC.
    with Barely a couple of floors done. (exterior only)

But hey, I like details....
    Unfortunately, most of the screenshots are lost as it was uploaded to imageshack, and imgur (no account)
    I shared a dropbox link to a bunch of frames and stuff that I've made, but I lost my password or the Email to that account so I can't seem to find it anymore

Rip

Edited:

I did managed to find the Vmf

Info Player Start for scale

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Canada Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #2305
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,098 Posts

Making this kind of automated machinery in goldsrc is real complicated, but it's rewarding when it works in a nice, perfect loop

Plus some more screenshots of that coolant plant

20% of my time spent mapping is pretty much just labeling stuff lmao
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 27Winner Winner x 5 (list)

26. Post #2306
    October 2009
    1,211 Posts
    That is actually very good looking for a goldsource map
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Safari Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 12Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #2307
    Not a Husky
    May 2012
    599 Posts

Making this kind of automated machinery in goldsrc is real complicated, but it's rewarding when it works in a nice, perfect loop

Plus some more screenshots of that coolant plant

20% of my time spent mapping is pretty much just labeling stuff lmao
    Incredible progress man. Keep it up <3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #2308
    August 2012
    78 Posts
    Little heistent to show this stuff at the mo as it's pretty early days
    Been working on a Zombie Survival Mall, I've taken a leaf from Dead Rising 1's Entrance Plaza

Also made some early progress on an Unreal scene, going for an old Soviet or Chineese Missile Silo, Danger signs are placeholders at the mo
    Just a heads up the Red light on the ceiling rotates
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 14Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

29. Post #2309
    October 2009
    1,211 Posts
    That unreal scene somehow reminds me of STALKER. I think its the light setup and noisy normal maps. Anyhow it looks great!

30. Post #2310

April 2014
    114 Posts
    Also made some early progress on an Unreal scene, going for an old Soviet or Chineese Missile Silo, Danger signs are placeholders at the mo
    Just a heads up the Red light on the ceiling rotates
    Looks fucking amazing. You did a great job of getting some dense detail in there without feeling too cluttered. The only thing I'd look at is that texture on the first pillar on the right; imo it's a bit too bumpy, but that could be due to the image compression. Did you produce all the content for the scene?

31. Post #2311
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,304 Posts
    Incredible progress man. Keep it up <3
    Reminds me alot of Hazardous Course with all the detail.

32. Post #2312
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,098 Posts
    Reminds me alot of Hazardous Course with all the detail.
    Hazardous Course is a massive inspiration for this. Its a mod I would keep replaying every now and again, then attempt to get the Goldsrc sdk working. The author also released a big pack of all the map files, along with older wip builds, so looking through those has been a massive help in figuring out how to achieve complex sequences in Goldsrc. I never knew how ridiculously complicated that assembaly line was!

33. Post #2313
    Gold Member
    October 2013
    47 Posts
    Is it ok to just post an Artstation link here?
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qdPQD

Finishing up some old stuff I used to work on, low-priority project I'm doing alongside my game. I initially decided not to touch Source anymore a few years ago, but at the same time it would be a waste to just leave my old work unfinished.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 3 (list)

34. Post #2314
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,514 Posts
    Is it ok to just post an Artstation link here?
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qdPQD

Finishing up some old stuff I used to work on, low-priority project I'm doing alongside my game. I initially decided not to touch Source anymore a few years ago, but at the same time it would be a waste to just leave my old work unfinished.
    Don't see why not, and absolutely beautiful work. Can't wait for the chance to play it once OC is(if) on Steam.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #2315
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,961 Posts
    Not anywhere near as good as some of the other goldsrc stuff here but hopefully as fun!
    Elevator level transition is one way because I have no idea how these multi manager shit works properly. And for some reason npcs persist in the level change but nobody answered in the questions thread, anyone know how to fix?
    Had to find a tutorial on some old half-functional wayback machine site for the elevator level change alone.
    It's gonna be a mod and it's a first time for me too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 4Winner Winner x 2 (list)

36. Post #2316
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,098 Posts
    Not anywhere near as good as some of the other goldsrc stuff here but hopefully as fun!
    Elevator level transition is one way because I have no idea how these multi manager shit works properly. And for some reason npcs persist in the level change but nobody answered in the questions thread, anyone know how to fix?
    Had to find a tutorial on some old half-functional wayback machine site for the elevator level change alone.
    It's gonna be a mod and it's a first time for me too
    Really glad to see other people doing more Goldsrc stuff as well! What problems are you having with the multi managers? Also, do you mean NPC's that die are coming back to life when you transition back to the level?

37. Post #2317
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,961 Posts
    Really glad to see other people doing more Goldsrc stuff as well! What problems are you having with the multi managers? Also, do you mean NPC's that die are coming back to life when you transition back to the level?
    Npcs that are in the first level appear in the second level, just completely still and sometimes even partially inside walls, since the 2nd level overlaps with the 1st one (after all I just used an elevator level change).
    As for the multi_manager... everything, I have no idea what does what and I resort to using a bunch of auto_trigger and trigger_once

38. Post #2318
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,098 Posts
    Npcs that are in the first level appear in the second level, just completely still and sometimes even partially inside walls, since the 2nd level overlaps with the 1st one (after all I just used an elevator level change).
    As for the multi_manager... everything, I have no idea what does what and I resort to using a bunch of auto_trigger and trigger_once
    That's really strange... I've heard that level transitions are buggy if you play from the hammer launcher? So maybe try opening the map through the console instead. Also for multimanagers, you have to turn smart edit off, then press "add". The "key" is the name of the entity you want to trigger and the "value" is the delay before it triggers. So you basically just make a list of anything you want to trigger, like how I/O's work in source but with less control.

"The Whole Half Life" has a big wiki on all the goldsrc entities and how they work if you haven't checked them out yet! As well as a few tutorials

39. Post #2319
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    7,602 Posts
    I'm really trying to create (and for the first time, finish and release) a map for Sven Co-op. I'm just having some major issues regarding inspiration. Anyone have any sources that I can get inspired by? I don't want to just sit down with paper and start drawing rooms because it always ends up a mess

Edited:
    Two pics of my last project from a while ago. Never came close to finishing it though

40. Post #2320
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,563 Posts
    Nice start, I like the dark xen-infested atmosphere
    Depending on the game you're mapping for, I usually look at the OG maps for the game you're mapping for and try to follow that style and design if you want to make it feel authentic that way

Edited:

There's also this: http://leveldesigninspirationmachine.tumblr.com/ in which you can find some pretty cool things posted sometimes