1. Post #1601
    October 2015
    256 Posts
    Released the Emperors Tower:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=932860606

There will also be a prop hunt version of this map and an imperial model pack released :)
    Big credit to LordTrilobite who sparked this idea and added a few very nice models aswell!!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 7Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #1602
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    117 Posts
    The map looks very nice although I was expecting a lot more playable area with the map being 300mb. :(

3. Post #1603
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,093 Posts
    What the fuck pommes, you are a MACHINE
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #1604
    October 2015
    256 Posts
    The map looks very nice although I was expecting a lot more playable area with the map being 300mb. :(
    Yeah I know its pretty big. Thats because literally nothing is stock content (besides the CSS pots but they are packed aswell) :D and I do not want to change that.

What the fuck pommes, you are a MACHINE
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #1605
    January 2012
    1,825 Posts
    This is pretty insane, specially how you managed to achieve it in source engine.

Congratulations.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Internet Explorer 11 Portugal Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

6. Post #1606

April 2014
    86 Posts
    Decided to try something a little different after seeing the port map on here. I usually work on Gmod maps which are open and have to be bare bones to be playable, but I love environments with tons of detail, so I'm working on an Italian map that's more for looks than playability.

I'm using content from Insurgency, DoD, and CSS for this.

This was my first compile and the lighting still needs some work:

Early editor pic with the reference I used:

If anyone has some suggestions for some interesting areas I should include or ways to improve what I have so far, that'd be awesome

Also my end goal is to make a pizza shop somewhere on the map with this on an endless loop:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 12Artistic Artistic x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #1607
    Wishes he could fit in with the mapping section..
    June 2010
    4,525 Posts
    Lmao, I think we're in a feedback loop because you just re-inspired me to keep working on mine.
    What might be really cool as a focal point might be an old castle/church, maybe at the top of a hill?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #1608
    January 2012
    1,825 Posts
    Something like Mont Saint Michel would look really nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Internet Explorer 11 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #1609

April 2014
    86 Posts
    I have a buddy who lives in Italy and has been giving me suggestions. There's a town called Savoca, which the Godfather was filmed in. It's fucking gorgeous.

Also i tried something a little different preparing this map that is actually extremely helpful. Start by laying out props that you think you'd like to use in a big grid. It makes choosing props for buildings much quicker.
    I just place them in their own visgroup, and when i copy a prop to use, remove it from the visgroup, so it doesn't hide when I toggle the group.

You don't have to limit yourself to the props you lay out, but it helps you get an idea of what you have to work with, and can quickly drag and drop objects to see what works best.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Useful Useful x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #1610
    January 2014
    80 Posts

takes a while to compile the map so I took a screenshot of the side viewport in hammer instead to give the scale of the map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #1611
    July 2015
    25 Posts

takes a while to compile the map so I took a screenshot of the side viewport in hammer instead to give the scale of the map.
    Reminds me of Shanghai for some reason.

12. Post #1612
    August 2013
    501 Posts

Trenches steeped in historical inaccuracy that really don't look like trenches are truly the best type of trenches.

13. Post #1613

January 2017
    15 Posts
    Have been working on this for a while.
    There's a lot of stuff, so I had to make a video instead.

Just to clarify, this is all made with hammer. Though I wish I could've modded the game, instead of using around 50 entities for a single npc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Chrome Norway Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 12Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

14. Post #1614
    June 2014
    33 Posts
    Have been working on this for a while.
    There's a lot of stuff, so I had to make a video instead.

Just to clarify, this is all made with hammer. Though I wish I could've modded the game, instead of using around 50 entities for a single npc.
    The effects looks so good, good job and good luck on the rest!

15. Post #1615
    January 2014
    80 Posts
    Reminds me of Shanghai for some reason.
    probs cos the tallest one looks a bit curvy reminiscent of shanghai tower newly built recently but in the map looks nothing like it, not to mention a model of shanghai tower would likely require alot of pieces in the model likely resulting in slower compile times, lighting issues etc.

16. Post #1616
    October 2011
    402 Posts

Oh my god I've never even heard about most of these
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 9Useful Useful x 5 (list)

17. Post #1617
    Wishes he could fit in with the mapping section..
    June 2010
    4,525 Posts

Six years in Hammer and I still don't know shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

18. Post #1618
    December 2007
    351 Posts
    I used $detail to hack together a cheap and easy way of creating semi-randomly illuminated window facades, for funsies:

The VMT and detail texture look like this:
    Code:
    LightmappedGeneric
    {
        $basetexture "glass/glasswindow031b"
        $surfaceprop "glass"
        $detail "<noise texture>"
        $detailscale 0.0078125
        $detailblendfactor 32
    }

Basically, each pixel of the detail texture gets stretched to cover an entire 'tile' of the base texture (1 / 128 = 0.0078125). Each tile then gets brightened based on the colour of the corresponding pixel (an RGB value of 128, 128, 128 means that the tile is unaffected). Since detail textures are normally meant to be used much more subtly, you also have to crank up the $detailblendfactor a ton. Keep in mind that the detail texture needs to use a lossless VTF format like BGR888, and that you need to enable the Point Sample flag to prevent the GPU from interpolating between the pixels. You'll probably also want to disable mipmaps, or it's gonna look weird for people who run the game with a lower texture quality.

The drawback of this technique is that you don't get any anti-aliasing around the borders of illuminated tiles, due to the lack of filtering on the detail texture. There's also no way to illuminate only certain parts of each tile, like with $selfillum. However, it might be possible to alleviate those issues by tweaking the scaling and using a higher-res detail texture where a larger block of pixels (e.g. 16x16) covers each tile. In that case you can probably get away with not using the Point Sample flag.

Edited:
    Tried it with a higher-res detail texture ($detailscale set to 0.03125). There's a bit more tiling now, but it's not very noticeable unless your buildings are enormous cyberpunk monstrosities. Looks nicer overall, I think.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #1619
    March 2007
    809 Posts

His composite decal clipping tip at 1:50 doesn't appear to work, at least in source 2013. It will indeed clip the decal, but only relative to one side/corner of the decal.