1. Post #2361
    March 2007
    845 Posts
    add puddles and other random reflective surfaces
    Didn't you know? Coating everything with a layer of glossy oil and mirrors automatically makes the graphics mindblowing and nextgen :^)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 3 (list)

2. Post #2362
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,169 Posts
    To be fair everything actually does have a certain level of reflectivity in some capacity or another. Very few things are matte unless specifically made so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

3. Post #2363
    October 2009
    1,186 Posts
    To be fair everything actually does have a certain level of reflectivity in some capacity or another. Very few things are matte unless specifically made so.

Has mankind gone too far?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Croatia Show Events Funny Funny x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #2364
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,169 Posts

FUTUUUUUUREEE
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #2365

April 2014
    111 Posts
    I'd disagree quite a bit with this scene being overly noisy. There's areas that could be toned down just a bit, but for the most part, a lot of the detail in the scene seems to be pretty meaningfully placed.
    The graffiti is really the only real complaint I could see, but even then it's something I'd expect in a society like this. Since most of it is simple text, it would take almost no time to do to this level.

This is pretty detailed versus what's in that scene:

The water also seems to be more of a subtle detail and isn't overly reflective or shiny in a way that's annoying, and the creator did a good job of achieving some nice lighting without too much bloom and whatnot.
    Animation would play a huge role in a scene like this to make areas stand out more (such as the screen). Good sound design would maintain that dystopian feel even in a brightly lit scene such as this. Not every dystopian setting needs to be dark and gloomy.

I'd definitely want to walk around a scene like this in a game and look at all the detail up close, especially if it's placed in ways that tell stories. A VR version would be pretty incredible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

6. Post #2366
    October 2009
    1,186 Posts
    I'd definitely want to walk around a scene like this in a game and look at all the detail up close, especially if it's placed in ways that tell stories. A VR version would be pretty incredible.
    But that's exactly my point. None of the detail was placed with any meaning whatsoever apart from visual fidelity
    Its all meaningless and closer to some of those edgy hyper detailed backgrounds found in anime than realism

Edited:

And the train you posted is literally abandoned
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Croatia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #2367
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,696 Posts
    Youre definitely nit picking at this point. Its a train station, this is a good recreation of a train station. I think you are praising the original level too much to see that the original is also just a train station.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

8. Post #2368
    June 2015
    1,599 Posts
    And the train you posted is literally abandoned
    I dunno man, when I worked at a scrapyard, some trains with cars that badly graffitied would roll on by. Mostly railroads don't care as long as the reporting marks & other identifiers aren't covered up.

9. Post #2369
    October 2009
    1,186 Posts
    Not looking to clog up the thread with text, but you are completely butchering the point im trying to make.

This isn't some nostalgia based criticism of the remake. In fact, im not even taking about it in that context. Id have the exact same reaction if the piece was completely unrelated to HL2.

What Im trying to point out is how many talented game artists today use a narrow toolset of cheap tricks to add meaningless noise (not detail, literally useless visual clutter) to the scene. This is also very related to composition, and in turn most of these otherwise beautiful portfolio pieces are badly composed and just feel cheap

Its some sort of horror vacui, I guess. And there are many way worse examples. Im just annoyed by it the same way Im annoyed by badly written screenplays for 100 million dollar movies. Im not criticizing the scene as much as im criticizing this silly trend present with artists and their portfolio pieces. Of course, in actual game production this is often less obvious because the artists works with concept artists and composition is important for gameplay aspects...

Edited:

I dunno man, when I worked at a scrapyard, some trains with cars that badly graffitied would roll on by. Mostly railroads don't care as long as the reporting marks & other identifiers aren't covered up.
    Again, I agree with this and this has nothing to do with what Im trying to say.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #2370
    November 2012
    1,295 Posts

I know that was a joke but Magman77 is correct. Every surface is reflective.
    How much it reflects and at what angle differs substantially depending on what something is but the total amount is never zero.

Without raytracing is where problems start to occur. Such as surfaces reflecting parts of the environment that are otherwise occluded entirely and thus appearing very glossy.
    Source does this too mind you.

Now on a mapping related note I got a question. Anyone here fiddle with static cloudcards using the VolumeClouds shader?
    Because I was going to experiment with that and if it works out I could repurpose them into 3dskybox props.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Waterfox Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #2371
    February 2017
    164 Posts
    well, I figured out my elevator

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Mapping King Mapping King x 1 (list)

12. Post #2372
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,054 Posts

Woah, where do you think you are? This is the train station criticism thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #2373
    July 2014
    106 Posts

Can we get an inside perspective?

Also, it needs more graffiti.

14. Post #2374
    May 2016
    220 Posts

Does this mean we can run INFRA maps through Gmod?

15. Post #2375
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    6,703 Posts

Does this mean we can run INFRA maps through Gmod?
    Yes, as long as important gameplay elements (puzzles) are removed, maps has been somewhat altered and INFRA is credited.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Finland Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 2Informative Informative x 2 (list)

16. Post #2376
    "Sounds like something Stiffy would say."
    May 2011
    5,452 Posts
    Gmod Supports Portal 2 bsps in the dev branch, so you may be able to mount the content and maps directly.

17. Post #2377
    June 2012
    491 Posts
    Yes, as long as important gameplay elements (puzzles) are removed, maps has been somewhat altered and INFRA is credited.
    So you don't mind if we use stuff like models, textures etc in maps, As long as Infra/Loiste Interactive are credited?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #2378
    I make awesome maps that never see the light of day
    January 2007
    6,703 Posts
    So you don't mind if we use stuff like models, textures etc in maps, As long as Infra/Loiste Interactive are credited?
    And as long it's not excessive.

Edited:

(Mostly depends on if the content are shipped with level or not, if not, then you can use as much INFRA content as you like)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

19. Post #2379
    February 2014
    66 Posts
    I worked on a new excursion lobby!

As well as worked some more on the bowling alley

And I started work on a new minigolf map this week, it's called "Heck

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 4 (list)

20. Post #2380
    August 2017
    7 Posts
    Just wanted to show my progress with the entrance, I'm using dev brushes to mock-up the general look I wanted to go with. I haven't had much time to use hammer lately. Also, this is far from polished, but any criticisms and advice would be helpful, I personally don't feel like it's big or grand enough.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 3Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #2381
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,893 Posts
    Finally got that map that connects both ends done, though it's kinda ugly right now in some places.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #2382
    February 2017
    164 Posts
    Can we get an inside perspective?

It, disappointingly enough, does not really affect the player

Because it's a physics object you fall through it. Wasn't there a fix for this years ago?

ps there was graffiti

...but hammer decided it doesn't like overlays on a func_movelinear
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

23. Post #2383
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    2,494 Posts
    On brush entities, use infodecal instead of overlays
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #2384
    October 2009
    1,186 Posts
    Doesnt using decals on certain func_ entities cause random map crashes?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #2385
    December 2007
    393 Posts
    Instead of using a decal or overlay, try creating a brush that overlaps the elevator wall and texturing it with the decal/overlay material. Then you can tie that brush to the rest of the func_movelinear (or, if that doesn't work, to a func_brush/func_illusionary parented to the func_movelinear).

As far as I can tell, the $decal parameter in VMTs only instructs the engine to offset the render depth of the material (to prevent clipping/Z-fighting), and you're not actually limited to using it with info_decal and info_overlay entities. It seems to work just fine on brushes, displacements and models.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #2386
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,325 Posts
    Doesnt using decals on certain func_ entities cause random map crashes?
    Yeah, the "Bad Inline Model" error.
    Mapcore thread on the topic: https://www.mapcore.org/topic/15841-...%80%9D-errors/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

27. Post #2387
    October 2013
    19 Posts
    I've been working on a couple of CS:GO maps based on levels from other games, can anyone guess what they're from?

A hostage rescue map with breakable walls and a climbable exterior. (On a side note does anyone know how to randomise the hostage spawn every round?)

A 1v1/3v3 arena with a symmetrical layout. (This one is a bit earlier in development.)

Did a test to see if I could manage a detailed and more realistic looking eastern slavic city using primarily hl2 and edited l4d2 assets, propper, and a smattering of custom textures. Pretty pleased with how it turned out.
    Fantastic work by the way, it just keeps getting better!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 2 (list)

28. Post #2388
    June 2012
    203 Posts
    Progress on that street

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 28Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

29. Post #2389
    August 2017
    7 Posts
    I redid the entrance again; the city building asset are pretty limited in CS:GO, but I made do I hope. It's mainly made from brushes and a few props, but I'm alright with the progress so far, I'll most likely have to take time off to make some textures, but I'm no expert in that field.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 4 (list)

30. Post #2390
    October 2009
    1,186 Posts
    Progress on that street
    This is beautiful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)