1. Post #2601
    March 2009
    579 Posts
    i tried adding some depth into textures with heightmap generated displacements.

oh god what have i done

atleast it compiled (125mb). but didnt want to run

edit: not even +r_hunkalloclightmaps 0 makes it work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Funny Funny x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2602
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,178 Posts
    It's a good concept but it'd need to be used for more niche applications than in such numbers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #2603
    January 2012
    18 Posts
    Some light progress, mapping from eye is hard and some things need to be nudged around, but we're getting there.
    The biggest challenge I think will be making this playable/fun.
    (Ignore the mess on the TF2 one)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #2604
    🚿💩🚿 just do it in the shower and stomp it down the drain asd 🚿💩🚿
    September 2008
    3,713 Posts
    That looks very good! The lighting already looks great as it is however if you wanna give it an extra touch i recommend putting some 128 x 128 sprites near the lights and maybe some dimmer smaller sprites near places that produce few lighting such as the tv or the soda machine.
    Either way it already looks super good as it is so nice work. :D
    Followed your advice and tried to add some sprites. Dump incoming.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 18Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #2605
    October 2011
    417 Posts
    Followed your advice and tried to add some sprites. Dump incoming.

[pics]
    That fog and lighting is killer, good job!
    The volumetric fog effect on that broken window is a nice touch, you really seem to have an eye for details like that - I also like the overall layout of the map, it feels very "organic" in a way; with a nice sense of spacial awareness in terms of height and detail clustering.

Do you have custom soundscapes? They would really add to the mood and depth of the environment, even if it's a bit tricky to add custom sounds to L4D2

Edited:

maybe turn the metal roofs into displacements to give them more depth and help make the overall shape seem more organic and run-down, like this:

6. Post #2606
    September 2008
    3,713 Posts
    Do you have custom soundscapes? They would really add to the mood and depth of the environment, even if it's a bit tricky to add custom sounds to L4D2
    Right now I'm just using the premade soundscapes. I can't decide between a more rural sound (rustling leaves / crickets) or something more suburban like Death Toll (Dogs barking, distant gunfire.) If I could mix those two it would be perfect.

Also, I like the idea with the roofs. Thanks for the help.

7. Post #2607
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    2,521 Posts
    On the topic of soundscapes, is there any tools for working on them? Or is editing the txt file and running reload_soundscapes the only method?

I've been working on them for rp_subterranean but the reload command seems to break them for me

8. Post #2608

January 2017
    34 Posts
    I don't know why I did, but I spent 3 hours on this.
    Made with relays & math counters. It's also sometimes off tempo, because source.
    running reload_soundscapes the only method?
    I'm guessing you're using garry's mod, so I'm not sure if it works there. I've used "soundscape_flush" in hl2 and it works alright.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Chrome Show Events Mapping King x 14Winner x 7Artistic x 2Informative x 1Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #2609
    June 2017
    13 Posts
    I'm a beginner, does my map have a leak?

Yes, I had to put that gif on the TV.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Funny Funny x 12Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #2610
    Thunderstorm Enthusiast
    February 2009
    576 Posts
    I'm a beginner, does my map have a leak?

Yes, I had to put that gif on the TV.
    might wanna check ur compile log i think that door is leaking

content:

making my basement because why not
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #2611
    August 2006
    135 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 5Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

12. Post #2612
    August 2013
    612 Posts
    This shot is an oddly accurate replication of a lobby in the NASA AMES research center (Specifically the visitor center), total coincidence it seems though. Neat.

13. Post #2613
    April 2011
    815 Posts
    Made with relays & math counters. It's also sometimes off tempo, because source.

I'm guessing you're using garry's mod, so I'm not sure if it works there. I've used "soundscape_flush" in hl2 and it works alright.
    This is awesome, nice job. Is the song something you originally composed yourself?

You should take another video with "ent_messages_draw 1". It would be cool to visually see all that I/O running!

14. Post #2614
    March 2009
    579 Posts

Nice work!

i just tried the same just with more moving parts, unfortunately im not musical at all lol

if someone wants to mess around with it:
    https://drive.google.com/uc?id=17S4m...YDKBB1A3c6duBo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Show Events Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 2 (list)

15. Post #2615
    August 2008
    538 Posts
    might wanna check ur compile log i think that door is leaking

content:

making my basement because why not
    I'm closing on a house that's gonna need some remodeling. I'm actually gonna use hammer to map it out and get ideas of how things might look. I could also take some pictures, make custom textures so I could have the actual wall paper and stuff that the house currently has.

(Cause obv Source has the most realistic lighting and shading. Lol. Close enough tho )
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #2616
    January 2010
    475 Posts
    A little preview of a new Prop Hunt map I'm working on.
    I've re-used my old Sandcrawler from my Dune Sea map. It's still a bit empty as I plan to add lots more props and I need to make some models like moisture vaporator, but at this stage it does show off the overall feel the map will have.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 6Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #2617
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,214 Posts
    A little preview of a new Prop Hunt map I'm working on.
    I've re-used my old Sandcrawler from my Dune Sea map. It's still a bit empty as I plan to add lots more props and I need to make some models like moisture vaporator, but at this stage it does show off the overall feel the map will have.
    Seeing Star Wars BSP stuff always makes me want to reinstall Jedi Outcast/Academy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #2618

January 2017
    34 Posts
    This is awesome, nice job. Is the song something you originally composed yourself?

You should take another video with "ent_messages_draw 1". It would be cool to visually see all that I/O running!
    Thanks! I tried it with that command, but it wasn't too interesting, just like 2 relays triggering playsounds. And yes, I did make that song.
    I don't usually get to plug my music so here goes.

Attack/Defense style Hl2 map WIP. Have been really liking the heavy industrial style lately.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Chrome Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #2619
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    5,784 Posts
    crossposting from another thread

Here we go bois, two months later, it's over
    Download

enjoy some cinematic pictures

now if you excuse me, i have another map in the works.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 5Winner Winner x 4 (list)

20. Post #2620
    Portal 2: Abyss
    September 2009
    1,685 Posts
    I've been thinking about making a Small L4d2 campaign map Themed around SCP
    Though, I have no experience with the L4d2 sdk.

So, that's an idea for anyone who feel like messing with L4D2
    I might mess around it for a bit though.

21. Post #2621

July 2016
    28 Posts
    speaking of scp ive remade 860 from scp:containment breach

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #2622
    Gold Member
    January 2013
    1,584 Posts
    me n a friend have been working on a warcraft themed campaign for l4d2 for a few months now

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Mapping King Mapping King x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #2623
    Portal 2: Abyss
    September 2009
    1,685 Posts
    My idea for the SCP campaign would be to make a high detail version of the facility where the zombies are the breach.
    For instance, the Witch can be the equivalent to SCP 96.

Not too sure about the others though, that's just a thought.

Every maps I've seen on the SCP universe are on Gmod and they tend to be low detail.
    It kind of kills the atmosphere for me.

Map 1
    -The start point is a blackout that releases the D-class (the players). players find guns in the Guard's armory and proceed to turn the power back on. They face a couple of zombies and maybe one special infected. Turn on the power and open the Gate to the heavy containment zone

map 2
    - the players have to go through the heavy containment zone where they fight many more infected and finish to an office area. possible tank and witch

Map 3
    - office area where they'll be battling more infected over multiple floors. (some of which have collapsed due to a tank) it ends at a grand finale where they're waiting for the exit elevator or something.

That's my general idea.

24. Post #2624
    September 2008
    3,713 Posts
    me n a friend have been working on a warcraft themed campaign for l4d2 for a few months now
    Damn, that's looking great.

May I ask how you were able to switch to the L4D1 survivors? I've been trying to figure it out for my map, but I can't find anything about it.