1. Post #881
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,230 Posts
    as mentioned before GMod runs in 32 bit on all platforms...
    Therefore it would affect all GMod Mac users. (I don't know the percentages of that)
    3%

2. Post #882
    -snip-
    March 2013
    16,453 Posts
    Let's not start this argument again -- it's pretty widely accepted that we need a solution that works for all supported platforms.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

3. Post #883
    January 2006
    1,579 Posts
    Let's not start this argument again -- it's pretty widely accepted that we need a solution that works for all supported platforms.
    This was the best idea, sucks that it can't happen https://github.com/Facepunch/garrysm...sts/issues/791

4. Post #884
    Noi
    Purrr ~
    February 2010
    2,201 Posts
    Delete gmod and start making gamemodes on real engines like UE4.

If we had something like shared content with common shit like playermodels and props, and proper wiki for common stuff it would be great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 3 (list)

5. Post #885
    -snip-
    March 2013
    16,453 Posts
    Except Source is a decade old engine built on top of a two decade old engine, while UE4 is not even five years old. I don't know what you're expecting. Garry's Mod can keep these periodical updates going for many years to come, but a two to three man team cannot do the impossible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

6. Post #886
    Noi
    Purrr ~
    February 2010
    2,201 Posts
    Except Source is a decade old engine built on top of a two decade old engine, while UE4 is not even five years old. I don't know what you're expecting. Garry's Mod can keep these periodical updates going for many years to come, but a two to three man team cannot do the impossible.
    That's what I'm saying for a long time, garry's team can't extend the many limits of the engine, or implement features that require massive overhauls to the engine.

The other problem is that garry is not even considering to hire more people to work on GMod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #887
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,336 Posts
    Alright so why don't we have CEF yet.
    Not enough ferraris    sorry   

Jka i know ue4 is an utopy, but if it works like ue3, it would have nice modding support, much better than ancestral source sdk tool, been playing with ue4 and its pretty great

8. Post #888
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    752 Posts
    So Willox suggested to post here about the recent changes done to the lightcache. A quick back story: It all started with this issue: https://github.com/Facepunch/garrysm...es/issues/2815 , Robotboy then just increased it without doing much testing and it turned out that the change even broke things.

So I just grabbed the leaked Source 2007 Engine code and decided to give it a try, I replaced the hash, removed using cached neighbours and actually made it a little more dense in its cache cube.

Willox kindly implemented some of the aspects to the Development Branch with some incredible good looking results, not only that also the performance is slightly better with average O(1) lookups.

Here are some screenshots to compare it:

Old:
    New:

You can already see that it uses less ambient light and more from the spotlight which gives this a more accurate look in general since that corner there is rather dark and not so much affected by ambient.

Another illustration:
    Old:
    New:

This shows with more detail what it means if the lightcache just used one of the closest neighbours due its limited size, it just used something from the left side of the room so its quite dark.

So thanks Willox! And no that message from him got caught up by accident when I asked if I can claim I did all of it :v

Edit: Just realized at looking at this Post that you can also see the FPS increase in the pictures
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Austria Show Events Winner Winner x 16Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #889
    October 2014
    2,438 Posts

If we had something like shared content with common shit like playermodels and props, and proper wiki for common stuff it would be great.
    gmod 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #890
    January 2006
    1,579 Posts
    No, gmod 20.

Garry's Mod 1-9: Source mod
    Garry's Mod 10-19: Steam release, Source
    Garry's Mod 20-29: Unreal
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Israel Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

11. Post #891
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    11,064 Posts
    So Willox suggested to post here about the recent changes done to the lightcache. A quick back story: It all started with this issue: https://github.com/Facepunch/garrysm...es/issues/2815 , Robotboy then just increased it without doing much testing and it turned out that the change even broke things.

So I just grabbed the leaked Source 2007 Engine code and decided to give it a try, I replaced the hash, removed using cached neighbours and actually made it a little more dense in its cache cube.

Willox kindly implemented some of the aspects to the Development Branch with some incredible good looking results, not only that also the performance is slightly better with average O(1) lookups.

So thanks Willox! And no that message from him got caught up by accident when I asked if I can claim I did all of it :v

Edit: Just realized at looking at this Post that you can also see the FPS increase in the pictures
    Matt fixed it!

Great job with tackling one of gmod's oldest niggles. Hopefully it really is just a straight positive without any unforeseen consequences.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

12. Post #892
    Noi
    Purrr ~
    February 2010
    2,201 Posts
    Now mingey doomforts wont be so terrible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

13. Post #893
    April 2011
    383 Posts
    Any possible chance we could get this in the future? (It's a long shot, I know)
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/5964...93426582988261
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #894
    January 2012
    1,615 Posts
    That's what I'm saying for a long time, garry's team can't extend the many limits of the engine, or implement features that require massive overhauls to the engine.

The other problem is that garry is not even considering to hire more people to work on Gmod.
    Extending some of the limits is feasible, just tricky.

The problem is getting people to do it. I assume most of the team is working on Gmod 2, but that's a way off. Gmod still have a lot of life in it, and even after 2 releases 1 will still be relevant for a time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Internet Explorer 11 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

15. Post #895
    October 2014
    2,438 Posts
    Its not even compatible with source engine is it? Maybe, maybe with the C api

16. Post #896
    March 2015
    940 Posts
    Probably not but a HTC Vive api would be cool instead

-VELKON OUT
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #897
    I'm living in the Best Korea. 사랑해요 김치맨!
    December 2008
    2,226 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Korea, Republic of Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

18. Post #898
    April 2011
    383 Posts
    Its not even compatible with source engine is it? Maybe, maybe with the C api
    Well isn't this the same as the new CSGO sound design stuff? If it is then its just a different engine version and might work, it might not, hard to say.

19. Post #899
    June 2014
    1,214 Posts
    get ready to become happy

local text = "저는 가끔 독서를 합니다."

surface.CreateFont("SeevaTest", {
    	font = "seevaa9",
    	size = 22,
    	weight = 300,
    	antialias = true,
    	outline = false,
    	extended = true
    })

surface.CreateFont("ConsolasTest", {
    	font = "consolas",
    	size = 22,
    	weight = 300,
    	antialias = true,
    	outline = false,
    	extended = true
    })

hook.Add("HUDPaint", "seeva_test", function()
    	surface.SetFont("SeevaTest")
    	surface.SetTextColor(color_white)
    	surface.SetTextPos(200, 100)
    	surface.DrawText(text)

surface.SetFont("ConsolasTest")
    	surface.SetTextPos(200, 200)
    	surface.DrawText(text)
    end)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #900
    October 2014
    2,438 Posts
    Well isn't this the same as the new CSGO sound design stuff? If it is then its just a different engine version and might work, it might not, hard to say.
    Yes, but they implemented it themselves, im not sure how/if you could implement this with the public stuff valve has released.

21. Post #901
    I'm living in the Best Korea. 사랑해요 김치맨!
    December 2008
    2,226 Posts
    get ready to become happy

local text = "저는 가끔 독서를 합니다."

surface.CreateFont("SeevaTest", {
    	font = "seevaa9",
    	size = 22,
    	weight = 300,
    	antialias = true,
    	outline = false,
    	extended = true
    })

surface.CreateFont("ConsolasTest", {
    	font = "consolas",
    	size = 22,
    	weight = 300,
    	antialias = true,
    	outline = false,
    	extended = true
    })

hook.Add("HUDPaint", "seeva_test", function()
    	surface.SetFont("SeevaTest")
    	surface.SetTextPos(200, 100)
    	surface.DrawText(text)

surface.SetFont("ConsolasTest")
    	surface.SetTextPos(200, 200)
    	surface.DrawText(text)
    end)

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET♬

I still remember people sayin "not going to happen" back in the day.
    Now I can die in peace

also take my ferrari
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Korea, Republic of Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #902
    Get your own DarkRP Server!
    January 2006
    7,642 Posts
    Could someone take out the automatic builds out of the gmod updates Twitter account? For every commit there are like five or so automatic build tweets. It's difficult to filter out the stuff that matters.

That of have them only tweet when a build fails or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

23. Post #903
    November 2012
    1,349 Posts
    Could someone take out the automatic builds out of the gmod updates Twitter account? For every commit there are like five or so automatic build tweets. It's difficult to filter out the stuff that matters.

i've been using this bookmark here to filter out actual gmod updates for a while now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #904
    Gold Member

March 2012
    2,106 Posts

I don't have any control over @FacepunchBot but I can stop @GModUpdates retweeting the automated builds if people want.

Something to note though is that the automated tweeter that Facepunch have is a bit unreliable (where's change #3950 - #3952?), so there may be cases where the dev branch updates but only the automated builds tweets were posted. Though I realise that such information is limited in usefulness.

I don't think @FacepunchBot tweets if builds fail.

Edited:

Looks like the binaries are in a different branch now (main.bins instead of main) so changing the filter should be very easy.

25. Post #905
    August 2016
    35 Posts
    Can we add a searchbar for the gamemodes? It's getting ridiculous the amount of gamemodes there are now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #906
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    666 Posts
    Can we add a searchbar for the gamemodes? It's getting ridiculous the amount of gamemodes there are now.
    This would help https://github.com/Facepunch/garrysm...sts/issues/915

So would this https://github.com/garrynewman/garrysmod/pull/992

To quote garry (src: https://github.com/garrynewman/garry...mment-47634671 )
    garry posted:
    It's a very trivial task to add sorting, searching and filtering to the HTML menu for anyone that understands javascript + angularjs
    Edited:

Some options could be:
    * Add Coherent UI. If Facepunch already has a subscription it could be a reduced cost or free (see "I have several projects in development" here)
    * Find out if it is possible for ISteamHTMLSurface to isolate Gmod's session from Steam/overlay's session. If not, could Valve add it? Garry/Facepunch must have contacts they could ask at Valve.
    * Wait for the Awesomium creator's new project (a replacement for Awesomium) to be released. (see this tweet). The developer works on classic Valve Time though so may never happen.
    * Use CEF 3.2271.2019 (Chromium 41) as a replacement for Awesomium. As far as I can see, this version will work for OSX users (due to it being compatible with 32bit processes). It's not the latest version but it's a lot newer than Chromium 18 / Awesomium (and should have improved performance), and would buy us some time for a better replacement in a couple years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply THIS BUG NEEDS FIXING, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT CAUSES IT, SO SHUT UP AND STOP POSTING ABOUT IT. Thanks. Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)