1. Post #841
    October 2008
    1,565 Posts
    If you load a renamed map file the cubemaps and other packed resources will break.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #842
    January 2012
    1,652 Posts
    Fixing cubemaps is easy so I do not imagine that to be an issue. What else breaks?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Internet Explorer 11 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #843
    October 2008
    1,565 Posts
    Fixing cubemaps is easy so I do not imagine that to be an issue. What else breaks?
    Rebuilding cubemaps or changing file paths changes the map's CRC.

4. Post #844
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    1,054 Posts
    Rebuilding cubemaps or changing file paths changes the map's CRC.
    First CRC then edit that stuff in memory?

5. Post #845

June 2010
    17 Posts
    How about a message box that can fix the problem for you?

"Your map differs from the server, delete old map and reconnect? [Y/N]"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 25Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #846
    YukiTheater.org
    January 2013
    155 Posts

That's actually not that bad of an idea.

7. Post #847
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    1,054 Posts

It's about as simple as it gets, but while my idea requires a tad more effort, it's seamless
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #848
    Noi
    Purrr ~
    February 2010
    2,053 Posts
    Wish lightcache update was pushed out already.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #849
    April 2016
    397 Posts
    Speaking of, when can we roughly expect the next update? Anyone know?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #850
    Dennab
    March 2015
    960 Posts
    Speaking of, when can we roughly expect the next update? Anyone know?
    Yesterday
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #851
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    890 Posts
    But it breaks the lighting, so I'm actually for a revert.

GMod:

Half-Life 2:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #852
    Noi
    Purrr ~
    February 2010
    2,053 Posts
    Performance is crucial over anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Disagree Disagree x 9Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #853

October 2016
    65 Posts
    What did break?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #854
    Noi
    Purrr ~
    February 2010
    2,053 Posts
    I've actually seen huge performance rise on my server with many props without any lighting issues, it might be you actually.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #855
    -snip-
    March 2013
    16,772 Posts
    It'd be great if both were a thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

16. Post #856
    i am resally durnbk
    December 2012
    3,089 Posts
    If that was the case I don't see why graphics have ever advanced in the first place. The map was made with specific lighting in mind, the mapper made that decision to sacrifice performance a little for better aesthetics on the map. They should also have the choice to not do that and prefer performance instead. It's not the programmers jobs to fuck up their work to scrape up a few extra frames a second.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #857
    I'm rocketsnail full of rocketfail! Drop boxes ⇒⇒⇒
    January 2011
    3,242 Posts
    that's why you always play your games on ultra low settings, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Zing Zing x 5Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

18. Post #858

March 2009
    107 Posts
    But it breaks the lighting, so I'm actually for a revert.
    It's already broken though: mp4
    If light cache limit is increased, maybe it'll at least be "less broken" :v (and not ruin the framerate)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #859
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    890 Posts
    I know its broken but that recent change broke it for all the other maps and no its not just me.

Willox did the tests and figured out it was that change by Robotboy increasing the lightcache that caused this to happen.

You can see the difference yourself going from Main to Dev. And having increased lightcache doesn't quite make it up for the broken lighting afterwards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Austria Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #860
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Informative Informative x 5Agree Agree x 3Late Late x 2Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

21. Post #861
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,271 Posts
    I didn't know about that until code_gs pointed it to me

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #862
    August 2005
    4,147 Posts
    This isn't a very big deal but when you scale models non uniformly in gmod the model normals look wrong. I think if you normalize the vertex normal in the vertex shader it would solve this problem.

The phong here looks very exaggerated because the of the bad model normals.

But I'm not sure if any addons rely on this effect. There could maybe add a new material/shader flag that can be set per entity to fix this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 2Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #863
    table.Exists
    August 2014
    1,219 Posts
    Just to inform anyone who are not filled in or don't know what the latest Garry's Mod update was about; it was a hotfix for a exploit that allowed for reading files anywhere on the computer that had recently blown up (which included FileZilla passwords, which is what it's main purpose was) and thankfully has now been fixed. Praise Kilburn and or Willox, may they be given Ferraris for their great accomplishments!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

24. Post #864
    Don't PM me about moderation - PM any of the mods.
    May 2008
    15,203 Posts
    Just to inform anyone who are not filled in or don't know what the latest Garry's Mod update was about; it was a hotfix for a exploit that allowed for reading files anywhere on the computer that had recently blown up (which included FileZilla passwords, which is what it's main purpose was) and thankfully has now been fixed. Praise Kilburn and or Willox, may they be given Ferraris for their great accomplishments!
    Jokes on you, the Ferrari is mine!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Estonia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Funny Funny x 2Zing Zing x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #865
    December 2013
    1,210 Posts
    Jokes on you, the Ferrari is mine!
    surely you've run out of room in your garage by now???????????
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

26. Post #866
    -snip-
    March 2013
    16,772 Posts
    surely you've run out of room in your garage by now???????????
    Hey keeps crashing them, which is the only reason he pushes updates.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #867
    July 2012
    1,116 Posts
    Hey keeps crashing them, which is the only reason he pushes updates.
    Hey, as long as he's crashing his cars, not my game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #868
    i am resally durnbk
    December 2012
    3,089 Posts

Never forget.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #869
    January 2015
    178 Posts
    the devs may drive Ferraris, but I heard glua.team drives Lamborghinis
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Firefox Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 1Useful Useful x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #870
    -snip-
    March 2013
    16,772 Posts
    the devs may drive Ferraris, but I heard glua.team drives Lamborghinis
    Meanwhile, cheater.team is borrowing their moms' Impalas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

31. Post #871
    September 2009
    1,677 Posts
    How awesomium he got another Ferrari...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox New Zealand Show Events Artistic x 13Dumb x 4Optimistic x 1Funny x 1Zing x 1 (list)

32. Post #872
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    2,298 Posts
    Rubat is actually more rich than Garry.

Word on the street is that he'll be buying FP from Garry along with his house and everything else.

33. Post #873

December 2012
    944 Posts
    Rubat is actually more rich than Garry.

Word on the street is that he'll be buying FP from Garry along with his house and everything else.
    His wife as well?

34. Post #874
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,308 Posts
    His wife as well?
    When you're as rich as Rubat, you buy new, not used...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Zing Zing x 1 (list)

35. Post #875
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    741 Posts
    Can we get back on topic now and quit the memes?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox France Show Events Disagree Disagree x 14Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

36. Post #876
    table.Exists
    August 2014
    1,219 Posts
    The current topic being...?

Edited:

Probably CEF.

Edited:

Yeah let's talk about CEF.

Edited:

Alright so why don't we have CEF yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 18Winner Winner x 3Zing Zing x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #877
    i am resally durnbk
    December 2012
    3,089 Posts
    Read the post under this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #878
    March 2013
    627 Posts
    That 0.05% of the user base on 32bit Mac systems.
    as mentioned before GMod runs in 32 bit on all platforms...
    Therefore it would affect all GMod Mac users. (I don't know the percentages of that)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #879
    I'm rocketsnail full of rocketfail! Drop boxes ⇒⇒⇒
    January 2011
    3,242 Posts
    The current topic being...?

Edited:

Probably CEF.

Edited:

Yeah let's talk about CEF.

Edited:

Alright so why don't we have CEF yet.
    I did it, sorry.

40. Post #880
    February 2007
    1,474 Posts
    This isn't a very big deal but when you scale models non uniformly in gmod the model normals look wrong. I think if you normalize the vertex normal in the vertex shader it would solve this problem.

The phong here looks very exaggerated because the of the bad model normals.

But I'm not sure if any addons rely on this effect. There could maybe add a new material/shader flag that can be set per entity to fix this.
    Actively trying to solve this. No idea how. Agreed some sort of solution is blessed