1. Post #1641
    August 2010
    1,478 Posts
    Made some attachments for the rifle I posted earlier;

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Q6qx4
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

2. Post #1642
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,907 Posts

Engine's coming along. The head was a bitch but it's done now. All that's left on the motor is to finish off the block, pushrods, hose clamps and intake manifold. Then a less detailed transmission, radiator, then body and rigging.

I am not looking forward to this. But it might turn out to be one of those things where the things you expect to hate just evaporates in your hands and the thing you think are going to be a breeze turn into Kafkaesque mazes of infinite suffering.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #1643
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,829 Posts
    Looks awesome ! Good job.
    I would make a suggestion tho : lower the metal parts normals a little, it looks a bit too rough/noisy.

Try to find some chromed planes for reference :

Good to note! I didn't realise how gross it looked, I'll have to take that grunge map off :x

On another note, here's what I'm making at the minute.

He's called Clog.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Funny Funny x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #1644
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    458 Posts
    Been working on a new HDR set with a bunch of accompanying matchmoved videos shot on my Canon 7D:

Reference:

I've tracked three more clips and gathered all tracking data into one 3ds max scene.
    The plan is to offer this as a freebie when it's done. First I have to rerender some parts of the second clip, there seem to be some sliding issues...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #1645
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,269 Posts
    Are you using a renderer that doesn't support caustics? That's my only critisism. At first I thought the balls and the colour checker were actually in the original footage.

Definitely going to get my hands on that when you're done, looks awesome!

6. Post #1646
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,136 Posts
    I would be interested in seeing future samples with figures that I'm not intimately familiar with, because I recognize the combine elites so quickly that I instantly say "oh right those don't exist really". Working with some random objects might be worth looking into. It really does looks good though.

7. Post #1647
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    458 Posts
    Are you using a renderer that doesn't support caustics? That's my only critisism. At first I thought the balls and the colour checker were actually in the original footage.
    It's all rendered with Vray 3.60, which has a pretty shitty caustic sampler I've never seemed to utilise properly. Caustics should IMO be a default raytraced effect, much like what Octane and probably other engines do outta the box. In fact, VrayRT does this nicely as well. So why do I need to make a separate caustics pass and setup a bunch of parameters in Vray Adv?!

Oh, and thanks for your feedback.

I would be interested in seeing future samples with figures that I'm not intimately familiar with, because I recognize the combine elites so quickly that I instantly say "oh right those don't exist really". Working with some random objects might be worth looking into. It really does looks good though.
    Thanks for your feedback, I agree that having something else placed there that's not an obvious video game rip will help sell the realism of the scene.

I used one of my own models back when I released my previous freebie. Do you guys think I should continue with this or do something completely different? There's no question I want some kind of cool-looking character in my scenes when showcasing HDRs, but I don't have the time to do that kind of a project myself seeing as I have not nearly enough time for this stuff as is.

8. Post #1648
    Penis Architect
    November 2008
    14,973 Posts
    Actually VRay Adv. is very capable with doing caustics even in the main pass, you just gotta get the settings right. Hit me up in PM's or steam or whatever if you want any help.
    And with a scene like that, you'd only have to calculate them once.

for reference, this was in VRay 3.4. No separate passes.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Edge Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #1649
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    458 Posts
    Actually VRay Adv. is very capable with doing caustics even in the main pass, you just gotta get the settings right. Hit me up in PM's or steam or whatever if you want any help.
    And with a scene like that, you'd only have to calculate them once.

for reference, this was in VRay 3.4. No separate passes.
    Thanks, I'll be in touch.
    But to avoid confusion, caustics from point lights isn't a problem. The default settings works fine, like in this render I did 5 years ago:

What I need are the nice, soft caustic effects from large area lights, especially from HDRs. When activating caustics in Vray Adv. I get very splotchy effects that doesn't look right.

EDIT:

PM'd you now. For anyone else interested in what effect I expect from Vray when using refractive materials, here's a standard HDR setup done in Octane:

EDIT2:

Ok, I might have been too quick to dismiss Vray's caustics engine. Admittedly, I haven't done much caustics work since the early days and back then never seemed to get satisfying results. However, doing the same standard HDR setup in Vray Adv and using some pretty standard settings for caustics, I actually managed to get a decent result:

Gonna of course bump up render times quite a bit, but that's the same for other engines as well when calculating caustics.

However, this is the result I want without having to set up a separate caustics pass (test render from back in april):

This is rendered in VrayRT with default settings.

EDIT3:

Thank you for the informative response, Paul-Simon. I'll definitely be precalculating caustics map for these static scenes and save a huge amount of time on rendering!

10. Post #1650
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,829 Posts
    He's called Clog.
    I hope the funnies are for his name :x

More 3D anywho, took an afternoon.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

11. Post #1651
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    4,023 Posts
    So, just got an e-mail that my first unity asset store submission has been rejected.

Its not that much of a tragedy for me since it was just an old model I've made several years ago that I decided to upload to test the waters, but I am genuenly surprised that it was so bad that it did not meet their standards, so it doesnt feel very good either way.

I wish they could give some details about it though, whether it was the quality of the model, the textures, or if made some mistake with packaging that made it not work with their standards. Maybe it was my sloppily last-minute slapped together portfollio that turned them off? I think I will need to make a better one either way before I upload anything more. I really only put it together real quick when I realized they needed one for some reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Poland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #1652
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    10,000 Posts
    maybe you should show us your model
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #1653
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    4,023 Posts
    Im not sure if I'm not a little ashamed now, especially that I wanted to charge money for it
    https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/i...i-fi-paint-gun
    CGTrader seems to have a lower barier of entry, I'll probably change it to free on there tomorrow anyway
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #1654
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    10,908 Posts
    Im not sure if I'm not a little ashamed now, especially that I wanted to charge money for it
    https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/i...i-fi-paint-gun
    CGTrader seems to have a lower barier of entry, I'll probably change it to free on there tomorrow anyway

That might be it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #1655
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,977 Posts
    That's just not something you will even get money for even if you did charge, no offence but there's plenty of free models on there too so you gotta look at those and make something you feel beats their quality and also usually people who charge make packs or a model with multiple materials.

But there is also the fact that if you plan to sell on the asset store, It's not so easy the first time because there are a whole bunch of things you will need to do to pass their checklist.

It's not so hard for programming stuff apart from obviously you need to make sure it works on all builds or at least ones you advertise it for and you also got you set up a bunch of different images using a template to be qualified to sell on the store as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Edge Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #1656
    Gold Member
    June 2013
    1,783 Posts

time for textures

17. Post #1657
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    4,023 Posts
    But there is also the fact that if you plan to sell on the asset store, It's not so easy the first time because there are a whole bunch of things you will need to do to pass their checklist.

It's not so hard for programming stuff apart from obviously you need to make sure it works on all builds or at least ones you advertise it for and you also got you set up a bunch of different images using a template to be qualified to sell on the store as well.
    Yeah, their store checklist with all the stuff like having exactly X images in x and x sizes and icon and this thing is allowed to have a logo on it, and this thing isnt, ect. is pretty wild, but I was pretty sure I did everythig right.

Maybe I'll just try to resubmit it as free, and see if they accept it.

18. Post #1658
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,829 Posts
    I wouldn't stress too much, it took me several years before my work was good enough to sell. Even now I'm still apprehensive about it. You just have to keep working at it. I wouldn't worry about selling this early on, keep challenging yourself and you'll get there eventually.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #1659
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    4,023 Posts
    Oh, I'm not really all that new to modelling! That thing I tried to submit was from 2014, its just I mostly model for source modding related things so it was one of the few non-copyrighted materials I've made so I chose it. Im not really surprised that it made you think that, though, I have only been modeling for about a year when I made it.

You might be right that I might not be ready to sell my models yet, but wanting to do it is my best motivation for improvent right now. They will reject me a couple of times, but if I learn the industry standard along the way, I think it will be worth it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Poland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #1660
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    6,427 Posts
    Speaking of selling on asset stores what are the odds of being software audited? I own licences for everything in my workflow minus Maya (it's the most expensive part obviously, using a student licence atm)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #1661
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,829 Posts
    Speaking of selling on asset stores what are the odds of being software audited? I own licences for everything in my workflow minus Maya (it's the most expensive part obviously, using a student licence atm)
    Buy LT

You can be audited by anyone at any moment at any time, you cant try and play blind and say you use Blender or free to use software.

They can also ask to come to your office to see it (assuming you have one)

22. Post #1662
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    458 Posts

Default caustics doing its thing in Octane. This is from the next HDR set with matchmoved handheld plates shot on my dslr I'm gonna release.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Norway Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

23. Post #1663
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,907 Posts

I have to re-render anyway, so i'm re-working the lighting. Keep in mind there's no displacements on anything, and no grass or anything besides the trees.

Better, yes, no? What can i do to improve this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)

24. Post #1664
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    759 Posts
    It almost seems like the reflections are actually too dim, considering that it is a sunset scene and the light is reflecting more or less directly at the viewer. It just seems like either in person or in a photograph that the highlight on the car would be blinding, whereas in the render it seems more like a reflection of a car headlight than the sun. If this is just how the renderer is interpreting a physical material then I guess just up the sun's brightness a tad to see if it washes it out a bit more.

This is weird to me because usually when I light things (albeit in real-time in a game engine) I tend to struggle with trying to get rid of washed-out highlights, which is the opposite of what I am suggesting here...

25. Post #1665
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,907 Posts
    Yeah someone else suggested that it was just too little light, so i upped the exposure and did some reasearch on sun brightness to get a more accurate result, and cranked up the HDRI sky to suit it

Better?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #1666
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,829 Posts
    I hope the funnies are for his name :x

More 3D anywho, took an afternoon.

Kerchoo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 12Artistic Artistic x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #1667
    September 2008
    917 Posts
    Hi, I have a question regarding baking. Is it okay for my lowpoly model to have floating geometry?

28. Post #1668
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    458 Posts
    Hi, I have a question regarding baking. Is it okay for my lowpoly model to have floating geometry?

Tecnically, yes. Although, to save a small bit of memory you should merge them into one object. However, in this example, would you even need that extra bit of geometry? Also, if you want to bake the grooves around the small parts, you could extend the floating geometry to capture those instead of having the seam go perfectly in line with the details.

I'm still shooting small HDR sets with matchmoved video plates. Here's are some frames from my most recent one:

I got rid of the HL2 model and used one of my own. Also, after finally getting Vray to create the kind of caustics I want, I just can't seem to get them to show onto a shadow catcher plane no matter what I do. And the whole point to my scenes is to have a realistic result in the raw render without the need to do any compositing. I'm gonna have to ask this on the Chaos Group forums and see if maybe the developers might shed some light on the issue.

EDIT:

Also, I've started experimenting with matchmoving 360 footage:

Dropbox link
    (Sorry about the quality)

EDIT2:

Okay, I'm stupid. Turns out I've used the wrong settings in the VrayMtlWrapper and that removed both caustics and all other GI effects from the shadow catcher.
    Here I tested on a new scene and refractive caustics worked instantly...

And back to the main scene:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

29. Post #1669
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,829 Posts

This asset is trash.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

30. Post #1670
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    7,790 Posts
    Can I get some CC on this? I posted it in the discord server in a less-finished state but I think I'm about finished with it now.

(Someone suggested using blackbody nodes to give the hexagram more of a burning/glowing look but I wasn't sure how to achieve that without making the emission strength uniform)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #1671
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,401 Posts
    Is the hexagram painted on the wood? If it was any sort of liquid, it'd sink into the cracks of the wood, and it looks like there's some deep ones between the individual boards. Currently it looks a bit floaty. Your composition could use some work too. The small bowl in the center is almost unnoticeable, and your image is lacking focus, with a very even distribution of light and dark throughout. The candles look pretty nice though. Consider lowering the roughness inside near the wick, since the heat of the flame would keep the nearby wax shiny.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #1672
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    578 Posts
    Can I get some CC on this? I posted it in the discord server in a less-finished state but I think I'm about finished with it now.

(Someone suggested using blackbody nodes to give the hexagram more of a burning/glowing look but I wasn't sure how to achieve that without making the emission strength uniform)
    You could make the bowl brighter, maybe some sort of terracotta, ceramic or even metal, similar to the candle holders so you can easily see it at a glance, right now it kind of gets lost.

Speaking of the holders have you tried having them a bit glossier? Right now they give me the impression of being lower res or like a rougher render pass compared to the rest because their reflections are a bit too blurry and it feels like it falls in a weird middle ground, otherwise maybe have them even less glossy so that it looks more intentional perhaps?

Maybe have the chalk/powder circle be more irregular if it's meant to have been done by hand, the glowing bit could be a bit less perfect/straight/round too, right now they feel a bit too perfect.

Also maybe rotate some of the books a bit more so it looks messier and less computer generated if that makes sense.

Just to clarify I'm being extra nitpicky, don't feel discouraged though, I like the scene as is!
    Especially the candles, those look really nice!

33. Post #1673
    August 2016
    184 Posts
    Oh, I'm not really all that new to modelling! That thing I tried to submit was from 2014, its just I mostly model for source modding related things so it was one of the few non-copyrighted materials I've made so I chose it. Im not really surprised that it made you think that, though, I have only been modeling for about a year when I made it.

You might be right that I might not be ready to sell my models yet, but wanting to do it is my best motivation for improvent right now. They will reject me a couple of times, but if I learn the industry standard along the way, I think it will be worth it.
    Wish you luck :)

Also, i might be wrong here, but i've never ever seen an individual low-poly model getting accepted to the Unity store, and i've seen many packs with even lower quality/polys, but hundreds of models. Low-poly seems to require larger quantities of content to get in there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #1674
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    7,790 Posts
    Is the hexagram painted on the wood? If it was any sort of liquid, it'd sink into the cracks of the wood, and it looks like there's some deep ones between the individual boards. Currently it looks a bit floaty. Your composition could use some work too. The small bowl in the center is almost unnoticeable, and your image is lacking focus, with a very even distribution of light and dark throughout. The candles look pretty nice though. Consider lowering the roughness inside near the wick, since the heat of the flame would keep the nearby wax shiny.
    You could make the bowl brighter, maybe some sort of terracotta, ceramic or even metal, similar to the candle holders so you can easily see it at a glance, right now it kind of gets lost.

Speaking of the holders have you tried having them a bit glossier? Right now they give me the impression of being lower res or like a rougher render pass compared to the rest because their reflections are a bit too blurry and it feels like it falls in a weird middle ground, otherwise maybe have them even less glossy so that it looks more intentional perhaps?

Maybe have the chalk/powder circle be more irregular if it's meant to have been done by hand, the glowing bit could be a bit less perfect/straight/round too, right now they feel a bit too perfect.

Also maybe rotate some of the books a bit more so it looks messier and less computer generated if that makes sense.

Just to clarify I'm being extra nitpicky, don't feel discouraged though, I like the scene as is!
    Especially the candles, those look really nice!
    Thanks guys!
    * The hexagram is actually a separate mesh I applied an emissive material to (it is floating, though I tried to get it as flush as possible with the ground without it clipping). Probably not the best way of doing it but I didn't want to do it with a texture originally because I didn't think I could get it precise enough. I wanted it to glow like it's supernatural or something, otherwise I would have just gone for straight-up chalk or something like that. As for the cracks and stuff, I tried applying the floor's heightmap to the hexagram to see if that would do what you're suggesting but it didn't seem to have an effect.
    * The bowl was a bit of an afterthought that I threw a malachite material on because I thought it was kind of exotic and I thought there should be something in the middle. Should I ditch it outright if it's not adding anything?
    * I admit the lighting is probably the part of this I was the least sure about - I originally wanted to capture a sort of "candle-lit ritual in an old dark house" look but throwing in a bunch of lights, even at low strength, ended up making it very well-lit. Composition-wise... I also don't know much there, didn't put much thought into framing this aside from "make sure the circle and assorted crap is in frame". How do you think I could improve it? I know about things like the Rule of 3rds and that golden ratio thing but I'm not great at applying them.
    * I did try making the candle holders glossier, but I thought they looked a little fake. I'll tweak the roughness down and have a second look.
    * Re: the candles, someone showed me a method for roughness involving vertex painting but I didn't think it would be worth the effort of learning and doing vert painting since the candlelight glow would obscure most of the molten bits anyway
    * Books - Will do. Should I add more books while I'm at it? Maybe a stack or two in the background?

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback immensely.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

35. Post #1675
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,630 Posts
    Hi, Programmer here who loves doing rapid prototyping for Game Development. I know how to 3D model, texturing and whatever I need. But I feel like I just want to focus on Game Programming on two of my current projects (And upcoming).

I am currently searching for someone who is good at doing rapid modelling, iterating and is self-motivated. They don't need to be any good (At least just some modelling & texturing experience) and it is a process of just learning, exploring and enjoying the process.

If you are interested in working on something for 2 months, abandoned it, pick something new up, listen to my stupid ideas and seeing your objects come to live. Please PM me! My scope is usually really small, I am super used to 48h game jams - Take a look at my portfolio http://jalict.com . I made a lot of the assets myself and this is what I sort of just expect for you to do (Just quicker than I am able to).
    Again this is all just for fun and learning. I won't just be giving tasks. I will be listening for your suggestions and get into your vision.

Edited:

It is worthy to note. That for starters I am looking for someone to make stuff fast and bad/ok-ish. But later on can get into depth of detail and aesthetics.

36. Post #1676

September 2017
    2 Posts
    slowly learning blender and cycles, my first work outside tutorials.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Russian Federation Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

37. Post #1677
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,907 Posts

Much improved the plant materials

also this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 12Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #1678
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,829 Posts
    People do actually read those man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

39. Post #1679
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    3,056 Posts
    People do actually read those man.
    if so all the more reason for the ones reading them to be ashamed.

40. Post #1680
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,829 Posts
    The program might be a bolted together mess but the guys responsible swap out constantly. Yelling at some engineer that joined autodesk a few years ago for these things he's in all likelihood not responsible for doesn't help anyone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)