1. Post #1201
    January 2012
    29 Posts
    I tried to emulate jittering vertices in Blender.

The Playstation called, it wants its FPU back

2. Post #1202
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,244 Posts
    I got a job at a vfx company in Pheonix AZ!

THEY USE BLENDER
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 24 (list)

3. Post #1203
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,337 Posts
    I got a job at a vfx company in Pheonix AZ!

THEY USE BLENDER
    Take me with you

4. Post #1204
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,382 Posts
    And me.

5. Post #1205
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,337 Posts

Now maya has decided that my wood fence, barbed wire and telegraph wire would look much better with the grass material on it. And that all background cards must die.

How does that even happen

The grille missing a material is all my fault though. Gonna go with the smoother sheet metal anyway so oh well
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #1206
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,258 Posts
    Can you drop the "woe is maya" schtick, please?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Funny Funny x 3Disagree Disagree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #1207
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,337 Posts
    i'll stop calling it bad when it stops being bad and making me want to die with 3 days left of work time to the rookies

Seriously, the fence and wires is fine in viewport, they work in the hypershade, when you hit "select objects with material" it properly selects the correct materials and the materials are referenced in from outside. You go to render and blam, it's got the grass textures on it. This shouldn't happen.

3ds doesn't have insane and unreasonable problems like this, blender doesn't have insane and unreasonable problems like this. What the fuck is up with maya?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #1208
    NSF Sympathizer
    January 2012
    3,937 Posts
    -snip-

9. Post #1209
    Mother of Dragons
    March 2006
    1,588 Posts
    7+ years with Maya and I've yet to have any big issues with it. Then again I don't do any rendering or stuff like that in it. All I do is animations and modeling(for games). Sucks that you're having trouble with it hope you work it out, I've kinda been waiting to see the finished thing for what feels like forever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #1210
    July 2012
    109 Posts
    Decided I'd attempt creating an attack animation similiar to the ones found in Dark Souls.

Cooked this up after a LOT of iterating :

Looks decent mostly thanks to the advice of the 3D Art Chat discord regulars.

I love you guys <3
    One minor critique is that the mannequin has an injured wrist position at the end of the swing:

If you've got the ability to adjust sword grip mid-way through the animation then than could be pretty neat.

Ref:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #1211
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,072 Posts

Now maya has decided that my wood fence, barbed wire and telegraph wire would look much better with the grass material on it. And that all background cards must die.

How does that even happen

The grille missing a material is all my fault though. Gonna go with the smoother sheet metal anyway so oh well
    I just want to say that (maybe due to being colorblind) as a thumbnail that looks 100% photoreal besides the background issues, and maybe the red between the cars. But it genuinely looks super, super close to passing for a photo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #1212
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,337 Posts
    7+ years with Maya and I've yet to have any big issues with it. Then again I don't do any rendering or stuff like that in it. All I do is animations and modeling(for games). Sucks that you're having trouble with it hope you work it out, I've kinda been waiting to see the finished thing for what feels like forever.
    The thing with maya is that underneath it's 100% nodes, janky ass primitive and unrefined nodes. And the thing's been passsed from hand to hand to hand for so long it's just a fucking mess underneath. I was talking to someone who's done code for tool UI, and he mentioned how (apparently) the thing was passed to junior programmers, and underneath the entire thing is just duct tape solutions of endless lists of exceptions and what have you for every single function/facet. As opposed to properly coded stuff it's basically a rupe goldberg contraption looking for any excuse it can find to fail. So as soon as you start taxing it, it just falls to pieces.

Also i found the problem. Despite being in untextured shading, the viewport was loading all the grass textures which somehow exceeded my 2gb GPU texture cache. And this somehow translated to all local meshes "rolling over" and defaulting to the first material hosted locally in the scene, which is the grass material. Why the fuck not.

Also i'm glad everyone's eager to see this thing done. I'd have figured y'all would've been sick of the fucker by now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #1213
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    10,621 Posts
    One minor critique is that the mannequin has an injured wrist position at the end of the swing:

If you've got the ability to adjust sword grip mid-way through the animation then than could be pretty neat.

Ref:

that's a trademark Dark Souls feature!

I might tweak it as I give all three attacks a clean up pass tonight / tomorrow, but I don't think I'll be doing much in regards to that

14. Post #1214
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    7,642 Posts
    There's no way I can get sick of that train when it's one of the most realistic and dedicated models of a real-world object I've ever seen in my life. I want to see it in a render that's indistinguishable from a photograph.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Chrome Korea, Republic of Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #1215

February 2006
    1,186 Posts
    Bit of a long shot, but does anyone here have experience with RealFlow?

16. Post #1216
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,668 Posts
    Some, yes.

17. Post #1217
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,805 Posts
    Quite some, worked a bit with version 10, used the C4D plugin for a while, and now i am alpha testing the next plugin for C4D

Got a lot of simulations and experiments on my IG https://www.instagram.com/appleby3d/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #1218
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    4,932 Posts
    Quite some, worked a bit with version 10, used the C4D plugin for a while, and now i am alpha testing the next plugin for C4D

Got a lot of simulations and experiments on my IG https://www.instagram.com/appleby3d/
    Does the calculation still take a century and a half?

19. Post #1219
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,805 Posts
    GPU simulations baaaabyyyyy.

They have gotten to the point where the GPU simulations are just waaay faster than CPU, but many smaller things still use some of the CPU, like deamon calculations and collision

Even the C4D plugin uses GPU now

Though optimizing the min/max substep count + interaction + accuracy to get just what you want is still a bit tricky.

but my best tip is that if something breaks, or doesn't collide correct, you need more substeps.

20. Post #1220

February 2006
    1,186 Posts
    Holy shit, nice work! I'm not even trying to do a secondary or anything complex, I'm just trying to recreate a smooth, thin pour like this oliera.

I've spent the last 3 days trying every variation of every parameter for Dyverso and Hybrido fluids and somehow the best I could do was this chunky honey-looking business: http://i.imgur.com/DYiOnd5.gif

Do you have any idea which parameters I could play with to get more stable and smooth stream?

21. Post #1221
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,337 Posts

Also, smoke is hard

I can't for the life of me get that initial pressurized plume to look good so fuck it that'll do
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #1222
    June 2013
    1,123 Posts

Also, smoke is hard

I can't for the life of me get that initial pressurized plume to look good so fuck it that'll do
    make 2 separate smoke plumes and comp them together
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #1223
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,805 Posts
    Holy shit, nice work! I'm not even trying to do a secondary or anything complex, I'm just trying to recreate a smooth, thin pour like this oliera.

I've spent the last 3 days trying every variation of every parameter for Dyverso and Hybrido fluids and somehow the best I could do was this chunky honey-looking business: http://i.imgur.com/DYiOnd5.gif

Do you have any idea which parameters I could play with to get more stable and smooth stream?
    Seems like it doesnt have a high resolution, so it sometimes break the stream.

I would try to up the resolution.

Do you have a surfacetension deamon?

Your stream seems to be moving a bit fast too, so i would try to use a drag deamon too, so that it doesn't whip around the edge, and flows more like honey/oil

Playing with Internal and external pressure also changes the behavior of the fluid. I think if the external pressure goes up, it would act like a stronger surface tension, i think...

also only use Hybrido for bigger scale simulations, it doesn't run on GPU i think and its more designed to calculate bigger bodies of water because if the way it interpret the particles that are in the middle of things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Norway Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #1224

February 2006
    1,186 Posts
    I'll keep increasing the resolution, that makes sense. For Dyverso, then, increasing the resolution value is what the right way? I remember watching some tutorial somewhere that said decreasing the value increased the res, which I thought was really counter-intuitive.

I don't have a surface tension daemon, since the Dyverso I was using seemed to have it's own surface tension property. Also, from the description of that property, it seemed like having too much surface tension would lead to tendrils. I'll play with that, though.

I could definitely go for a drag daemon, I didn't even think of that. I was trying to control everything with speed and I either got it flying out like a jet or whipping around, like that gif.

This is probably the steepest learning curve of any software I've used yet, and I'm just an industrial designer so all this 3D art stuff is a bit boggling. Thanks bud!

Also, is there some way to remove old particles or something? Building the meshes in the later frames gets obnoxiously long.

25. Post #1225
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,805 Posts
    Ah yes, what you want to do is add a kill volume, that either kills every particle outside it or inside it depending on its settings.

Settings in Realflow is still hard for me, they are very arbitrary, like what is 0.5 external pressure.

and there is about 100 settings like this, so i definitely see the steep learning curve, cause i wouldn't say i have come close to the top.

Also, just a side note, scale is very important, if you start out most of your simulations with the same size, then you would easier remember the good resolution to have.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Norway Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #1226
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    3,924 Posts
    I tried to emulate jittering vertices in Blender.

I'm going to go ahead and share the link to the .blend file since somebody's probably curious about how I managed to make the vertices all jacked up.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3T...lNTWpxWHc/view

I basically made an invisible Icosphere that follows the camera while the vertices on the hallway snap onto those of the Icosphere using the Shrinkwrap modifier. The lighting is baked onto the hallway, so the perceived lighting doesn't get all fucked up from the hallway turning itself into a messy ball of polygons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Safari United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #1227
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,337 Posts
    make 2 separate smoke plumes and comp them together

Nah i got it. Now i just have to figure out why the wind won't work

28. Post #1228
    July 2008
    1,043 Posts
    Make sure the wind and the fluid is linked in the relationship editor

29. Post #1229
    September 2009
    510 Posts
    Baked Physics in HL
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 9 (list)

30. Post #1230
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,337 Posts
    Make sure the wind and the fluid is linked in the relationship editor
    It was showing up in the attribute editor tree for the fluid container, so it was presumably connected. Might've had something to do with parenting to the rig, iunno. I ended up just disconnecting the container from the rig and setting up emission keyframes, which gave an acceptable result.

She's going though. Nevermind it failed.

http://www.therookies.co/projects/ne...vania-rail-t1/

It's entered though. If y'all wouldn't mind, please go upvote it, make some noise and all that. I'm gonna go collapse.

Also this isn't the final reel because the animation pass didn't happen in time. That's gonna be another week or two

31. Post #1231
    June 2013
    1,123 Posts

hahaaaa crunch time is so gr8