1. Post #1681
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,114 Posts
    I kinda imagine a dozen people sitting in a room typing away and working furiously, when one calls out "Oh God, Trilby sent in another one!" and a collective groan of anxiety is heard across the room.

ily trilby <3 <3   

Fuck okay pageking that's fine here's a sweatshirt I've been working on here and there
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #1682
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,734 Posts
    People do actually read those man.
    Good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 4 (list)

3. Post #1683
    June 2013
    1,442 Posts
    well then maybe they should fix their goddamn software huh?

Here's today's adventures. Wanna know what kind of progress i've made in the last two weeks trying to fix it?

Literally none. And the alternative is just throwing the entire scene away, because it somehow has the power to destroy entire maya installations on other machines, such to the degree that that installation of maya is unusable after re imaging the fucking computer. Seemingly perminently damning every installation to be like the first image there, with seemingly no way to fix it out side of re-formatting or replacing the hard drive that copy of maya inhabits.

Anybody feel like defending maya for this?

If i'd just decided to render in 3ds, or if blender's vray branch supported UDIM, i'd have been done months ago.
    let me just pull this back up. I do not blame trilby for his rage at all
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #1684
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,250 Posts
    Handling Revit models in anything other than Revit is a level of Autodesk Hell™ I never imagined possible.

Edited:

Like how can Autodesk not get their own software to interact well?

5. Post #1685
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    3,817 Posts
    Here's my WIP arc gun/bolt thrower that I am working on:

(textures so far are 100% procedurally generated cycles materials)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #1686
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    1,084 Posts
    Just began messing around with 3d modelling for the first time last week, I got a C4D r18 license from my friend who does this for a living.

Was really hard at first and I definitely have ways to go, but I just finished my first little checker model, traced it with a spline from an image online. Rendering was taking forever so I decided to pick up a trial version of Nvidia iRay to use my SLI 1080s to speed things up. Only problem is that it is extremely bright and you can't use the original C4D lighting, you have to use Iray environment so I couldn't even get a floor texture.

Anyways here it is, 4k render took about 5 minutes in iRay with multiple passes and what not, I know its a bit bright but I am not sure how to fix it. Hope to learn some more!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #1687
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,398 Posts
    Always nice to see someone starting out! Remember that what you're doing incorporates many different disciplines. To render pretty images by yourself you need modeling + texturing + material work (this is a big one) + lighting + composition. Try nabbing some tutorials that focus on these. With proper setups you'll learn how to avoid the brightness problems and speed up rendering without sacrificing quality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #1688
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,734 Posts

Witness me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 6Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)