1. Post #1521
    Mother of Dragons
    March 2006
    1,614 Posts
    I am mostly curious whether its even possible to sell anything or is the market too saturated to get any sales at all. I've heard some horror stories about model market websites before, so I just want to ask around for advice a bit before I get to it so that I know how to maximize my chances.

I'm guessimg by your emote that your weapon models on cgtrader were a limited success?
    Well I have 9 models for sale there and the last month I sold for $399.98 (kill me, soo close) after they took their cut. this month so far I'm at $197.30. I calculated the average of my 7 months there and its ~160/month mind you at the first months or so I only had like 2-3 models for sale.
    there has been like one month that it was super low sale but that happens sometimes.

I mean it's nothing you can live on but it's a nice extra. I can pay some of my rent by doing "nothing"

EDIT:
    I might mention I did sell on Turbosquid once upon a time, all I can say is don't. I don't know if they've changed anything the last year or so but the cut they take and the visibility of "gaming" content isn't worth the effort. at CGTrader you start of with getting 70% from each sale. I made more on CGTrader the first like 3 months I did my first year on Turbosquid. Turobsquid is probably great for CG non-game related content but for me at least I saw no success there, but they again things might have changed.

2. Post #1522
    Gold Member
    November 2012
    3,723 Posts
    That.. actually sounds much better then I expected! I'll be sure to give it a shot! Thanks for advice!

What kind of models are doing? Is it just weapons, or more general architecture/props also?

3. Post #1523
    Mother of Dragons
    March 2006
    1,614 Posts
    That.. actually sounds much better then I expected! I'll be sure to give it a shot! Thanks for advice!

What kind of models are doing? Is it just weapons, or more general architecture/props also?
    Just weapons. Here are my stuff on CGTrader if you wanna take a look on how I sell them: https://www.cgtrader.com/steffe-engdahl
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

4. Post #1524
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,700 Posts
    I might mention I did sell on Turbosquid once upon a time, all I can say is don't. I don't know if they've changed anything the last year or so but the cut they take and the visibility of "gaming" content isn't worth the effort. at CGTrader you start of with getting 70% from each sale. I made more on CGTrader the first like 3 months I did my first year on Turbosquid. Turobsquid is probably great for CG non-game related content but for me at least I saw no success there, but they again things might have changed.

I'm at the tail end of my time at TS, but having seen the data behind the scenes, it's very possible to sell on the site, even gaming content. I can't go too deep into specifics, but my personal opinion is that TS buyers are more sensitive to the pedigree of the seller, large libraries of quality models for sale from the same author seem to do better then even the best models coming from sellers with a handful of items on their account. It is a different audience too - having source files and compatibility with max is super useful, even if the real target of the model is real-time. Compatibility with vray is a huge bonus, and pricing models too high or too low can tank sales. Even presentation is important - if your thumbnails don't look like everyone else's and your metadata/description is wrong, what's to say that the materials/modeling technique will meet expected standards either?

Things have changed in a year, I'm happy to say that I've been directly involved in a push to help artists selling game content - you can now get game optimized models rendered in Marmoset checkmate approved, and there is a definite understanding of the value of the segment and a continued work to meet expectations on both ends.

I've seen models that made me go 'why is this selling so well' followed by 'this is a hidden gem' sometime in the same library, too. It's kind of like darts - the more you throw, the better you have a chance to hit the bullseye.

Finally, and this goes for any 3D stock site, the things customers are looking to buy their way out of making themselves are not hero assets. People buy innocuous things that they don't want to allocate time to doing internally. File cabinets, cutlery, trash cans, park benches, toilets, cell phones, drones - making the best version of these is going to sell way better then a memorable one of a kind masterpiece that'll top ArtStation. Find simple/innocuous things that aren't in the library (or the models that are there you can top), make the best version of them, don't put them out for cheap, and do it all again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #1525
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,613 Posts

City scanner type thing to ensure that the glorious proletariat revolution is never endangered by the anti-revolutionary wreckers, whom seek to destroy our utopia.

Antennas are transparent with a metal core, the tubes on top are for launching infrared flares for the night vision camera or riot dispersing grenades to deter unlawful assemblies of socially unfriendly elements, and the bars on the side are like the landing surfaces for it's cradle that it flies into for refueling.

Still needs a load of work. If y'all think it needs something in a certain place lemmie know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 11 (list)

6. Post #1526
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    6,556 Posts
    reminds me of a sea mine mixed with that sputnik inspired robot in fallout 3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #1527
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,292 Posts
    its as if a portal core, the city scanner, and sputnik had a threesome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #1528
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,733 Posts
    I'm debating making a significant effort to learn HLSL programming and shaders in general. Anyone have any advice/opinions about opening this can of worms?

9. Post #1529
    Still Not GLOD
    May 2013
    939 Posts
    I've never learned it but I'd imagine you could learn a lot from looking at some of the stuff here: https://www.shadertoy.com/

10. Post #1530
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,292 Posts
    I'm debating making a significant effort to learn HLSL programming and shaders in general. Anyone have any advice/opinions about opening this can of worms?
    Yes, a bunch.

What do you want to do? The programming itself is piss easy and straightforward, but the theory can be very difficult without the right frame of mind.

I'd recommend getting started with either shadertoy (haven't used this much at all) or unity. Unity is really nice since it will let you easily jump in and write a vertex/surface shader without delving into anything too heavy. It also provides a bunch of callable functions for harder stuff you don't want to start off your learning with, such as shadowing.

Get started by basically following the history. Gouraud shading > phong > blinn phong. After that you can get into PBR, but message me when you want to do that because it is a very difficult subject to breach and it is incredibly easy to do it 110% wrong while thinking you're doing it right.

Imo rendering is inseparable from its history. It requires context to truly understand, as it's a string of problem solving by a few brilliant people. Wikipedia actually has extensive pages covering both the history of rendering/shading and technical/practical details.

Feel free to join the discord if you haven't and post in our much neglected tech art channel. SamZaNemesis and I have done a bunch of shader work.
    https://discord.gg/bAyXHFC
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

11. Post #1531
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,061 Posts
    Okay, so I'm having some trouble with Blender. I'm trying to figure out how to turn a texture into a weight group.

Someone seemingly had the perfect solution:

https://blender.stackexchange.com/qu...p-from-texture

However, I tried it out, and the texture mask doesn't seem to do anything at all. I'm using version 2.76, so it's possible that it may be broken, but I don't know.

12. Post #1532
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,733 Posts
    Yes, a bunch.

What do you want to do? The programming itself is piss easy and straightforward, but the theory can be very difficult without the right frame of mind.
    Thanks, yeah for now I'm interested in just learning what I can, but some goals for me would be pbr subsurface scattering shader, double-sided pbr shading, anisotropic hair shading, and refractive glass type shading. I know the math behind these effects have all been figured out, but writing them to a shader and having them perform in Unity (deferred shading) is the end goal for me.

13. Post #1533
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,697 Posts

I've been messing around with c++ recently, and I've learned a lot.
    I wrote an engine plugin for our in-house UI tool (Kanzi) that generates custom geometry from LIDAR scan data, to visualize stuff around you.
    Ofc I also wrote the shaders + everything else there is.
    Also now you guys get to see our software at work, it's awesome and a very flexible piece of kit. I really hope there would be some kind of a test version for free, but atm no.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

14. Post #1534
    Still Not GLOD
    May 2013
    939 Posts
    That looks slick as hell, nice work dude.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #1535
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,061 Posts
    Okay, so I'm having some trouble with Blender. I'm trying to figure out how to turn a texture into a weight group.

Someone seemingly had the perfect solution:

https://blender.stackexchange.com/qu...p-from-texture

However, I tried it out, and the texture mask doesn't seem to do anything at all. I'm using version 2.76, so it's possible that it may be broken, but I don't know.
    Nevermind, I decided to go with the Vertex Weight Mix modifier, and it seems to get the job done.

The "none" vertex group needs to be assigned with a weight of zero instead of having a blank vertex group from the get go. Otherwise, it won't work.

Edited:

Now I just need to figure out how to view the objects weights in Object mode rather than Weight Paint mode.

16. Post #1536
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,613 Posts
    reminds me of a sea mine mixed with that sputnik inspired robot in fallout 3

I was thinkin' more along the lines of city scanner

I figure the trailing antenna makes me think of some sea preadator like squid, mixed with it's nature of an omnipotent eye. And frankly, the easiest way to describe a totalitarian state is "An omnipotent predatory eye.", so i just sorta rolled with it

17. Post #1537
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,292 Posts
    Thanks, yeah for now I'm interested in just learning what I can, but some goals for me would be pbr subsurface scattering shader, double-sided pbr shading, anisotropic hair shading, and refractive glass type shading. I know the math behind these effects have all been figured out, but writing them to a shader and having them perform in Unity (deferred shading) is the end goal for me.
    Mostly easy, but there's gonna be some difficulty in adapting refractive glass to deferred.

Any particular reason you want deferred? It's very likely on the way out as far as the tech world goes. The perf gains seen with modern clustered forward make deferred unattractive, as clustered deferred sees very marginal gains in perf at the cost of image quality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #1538
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,733 Posts
    Mostly easy, but there's gonna be some difficulty in adapting refractive glass to deferred.

Any particular reason you want deferred? It's very likely on the way out as far as the tech world goes. The perf gains seen with modern clustered forward make deferred unattractive, as clustered deferred sees very marginal gains in perf at the cost of image quality.
    That's funny, my mindset has been forward rendering = old, deferred rendering = modern/better. I thought all modern game engines were using deferred for realistic lighting/pbr.

Doing a little research I see that DOOM used a forward based rendering pipeline... interesting. Wow that actually blows my mind.

I guess I don't have any real reason for using deferred then. :/

19. Post #1539
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,697 Posts
    That looks slick as hell, nice work dude.

Hehe, looks quite a bit better with dof, tonemapping and a cool building animation I made today.

Cool fact, the quads are now scaled and oriented in the vertex shader. Dof is done using a vertex attribute of the points center positions, and then in viewspace moving vertex positions according to their uv's, multiplied by the defocus amount.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

20. Post #1540
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,613 Posts
    'lil commie ball is comin' along good

The thing on the back is an ion/plasma drive, which technically wouldn't work in atmosphere, but communism doesn't work either, so why stop there?

looks pretty fuckin' neat though.

Technically Ion drives use Xenon, and plasma use any inert gas that's been turned to plasma by forced ionization. But Xenon is pretty exotic for a mass produced object that's constantly in use, and plasma drives use an ungodly amount of energy to ionize the gas into plasma, both of which is pretty unreasonable for a little sky ball like this. So which it is is basically whichever you want it to be i guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

21. Post #1541
    Gold Member
    October 2013
    175 Posts
    After taking a break for a few weeks due to vacation etc, I did a sofa to get back into the Blender/Substance/Unreal flow. :)
    (Map itself is an example map so the rest of the content isn't mine, besides the potplant)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)