1. Post #1281
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,627 Posts

Started on stubby bob again. Today i made most of the timing chain cover, the oil filter, most of the oil pan, motor mount, remade the exhaust pipes and tweaked the alternator a little.

I'm sure it'll please everyone to no end to know that the timing number plate for reading the TDC marks on the crankshaft is correctly placed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

2. Post #1282
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,239 Posts
    I still don't understand how your able to accurately model to this level of detail and NOT be using a CAD package..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #1283
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,627 Posts
    I still don't understand how your able to accurately model to this level of detail and NOT be using a CAD package..
    it's the magic of being an insufferable pedant. And also blender.

I've decided i'm gonna go all out on the motor and do up a few more intakes and exhausts. So once the reel version is finished i can flog the motor on turbosquid for a hundred bucks a pop. Hopefully it'll pay for actual supercharged horrors once i have my own place with a lift and other such toys.

https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models...-model-1162894

The only competition for a big block is this thing. And while it's pretty good i'm noticing a lot of missing stuff on it. Undercut that thing and we're good to go

4. Post #1284
    Gold Member
    October 2013
    175 Posts
    Finally finished texturing this model of mine, was challenging since I've only started doing textures this year and this was my first time doing foliage.
    Wanted to upload it to Sketchfab as well but it always comes out too shiny and I haven't been able to fix that yet. :(

Edit:

Alright got it now, still not as good as in Unreal or Substance, but it's good enough lol
    https://sketchfab.com/models/05e99be...cb899e159e2cbe

Also updated render with the changes I made:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #1285
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,069 Posts

Normal maps on lowpoly models are cool.

Smooth version:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Safari United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Artistic Artistic x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #1286
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    7,691 Posts
    It really amazes me what kind of detail game artists were able to squeeze out of the limitations they had with just low poly models and bump maps. I remember looking at the models and textures from Halo 2 and 3, and the difference that the bump maps make is absolutely phenomenal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Chrome Korea, Republic of Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

7. Post #1287
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,322 Posts
    rip in peace halo, your artstyle was great

Edited:

The crazy thing about halo, from what I've heard, was a lot of the work before Reach was done before they had proper baking tools. Their assets are largely hand done normals 👀
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #1288
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,334 Posts
    yuuuup, split edge normals and hand painted heightmaps converted to normal maps

The absolute fucking madmen.

afaik there was like one artist who did high-to-low stuff on Halo 3 and it was just for the flood.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #1289
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,239 Posts
    Fucking what.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #1290
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,863 Posts
    Got around to finally uploading some personal work to my Artstation

more images and marmoset viewer here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Netherlands Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10Winner Winner x 5 (list)

11. Post #1291
    Mother of Dragons
    March 2006
    1,614 Posts
    Humm.. no firearms the whole page? I'm have to fix that, I made an MP40 for a game.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/v5Ov6
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 14Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #1292
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,322 Posts
    Fucking what.
    I was just getting really into modeling just before Halo 3 came out, so that was the sort of technique I started with. It was very painful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

13. Post #1293
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,627 Posts
    Humm.. no firearms the whole page? I'm have to fix that, I made an MP40 for a game.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/v5Ov6
    Damn that's nice. Teach me your ways.

Come to think, I should really do some realistic guns. The world needs more borchardts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #1294
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,464 Posts
    Alright then, I've been working on this for the last week as many of the discord users know. About an hour ago the scene decided to delete all my lights, stubborn and pissed off as I was I redid it and then made an image I'd want to share with you guys.

Early days, still a lot to go, but hey.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 8Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

15. Post #1295
    November 2012
    1,283 Posts

I remade the gravity gun.
    Then did horrible things to it so the Source version stood up to its BDRF counterpart.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Waterfox Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 7Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

16. Post #1296
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,322 Posts
    all normal shaders are brdfs :)

edit:
    normal as in regular

17. Post #1297
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,700 Posts

I remade the gravity gun.
    Then did horrible things to it so the Source version stood up to its BDRF counterpart.

Already posted this in your thread, but I had a blast screwing around with the highpoly model.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #1298
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,154 Posts
    Where do you fellas find concept weapon artwork? Back in the day I used to have folders and folders of the stuff, but I can't seem to find any decent sources now.

Edited:

Mocked this up yesterday and looking at it today I'm just really... Ehhh

Based off this dope reference:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

19. Post #1299
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,700 Posts
    I finally finished up on my NAC-22 SMG! Tons more pics on ArtStation!

I also made a video in Marmoset Toolbag. The animation editor gets the job done, but I really miss SFM's tools.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

20. Post #1300
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    9,663 Posts
    I finally finished up on my NAC-22 SMG! Tons more pics on ArtStation!

I also made a video in Marmoset Toolbag. The animation editor gets the job done, but I really miss SFM's tools.

It looks so high tech, your own concept design right?

21. Post #1301
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,700 Posts
    It looks so high tech, your own concept design right?
    Mostly. The silhouette is a mishmash of concepts we had on the cutting room floor for Due Process, and was influenced by the ingame weapon called the NAC-11. The concept stage of the gun was included in an art dump, the weapon itself was concepted and modeled by a fellow artist on the team and got a little cameo in one of our teaser videos.

One of the main challenges of working in that art style is that you have to leave a lot of details out and focus on the big shapes. This project was an opportunity to fully flesh out a design.

I also took a lot of cues from the guns in Robo Recall, particularly in color scheme and general visual direction, but it was mostly me just making those ideas mesh together on the fly.

So, yes, mostly.

22. Post #1302
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,334 Posts

Its out bois

Now that they have a proper manipulator, I might start getting into it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #1303
    June 2013
    1,325 Posts
    wasn't 4R7 meant to be the last one before 5?

dat manipulator tho, and the active booleans and interactive primitive stuff looks nice as hell too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #1304
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,322 Posts
    They announced with Core that they were pushing 5 back
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #1305
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,464 Posts
    Current progress on the gas station:

1080 Version
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6 (list)

26. Post #1306
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    5,230 Posts
    So im just starting to gettkng started with 3d modelling and am using Maya since a friend working in game dev uses it and has been helping me. Do you guys habe any good tutorials or anything i can watch to get more into all different terms, shortcuts etc.

27. Post #1307
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,464 Posts
    I don't have any tutorials, but something that's worth looking at is pressing everything and seeing what it does, if you're stuck follow the trail back using google.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #1308
    Still Not GLOD
    May 2013
    941 Posts
    The OP has some, but most are dead links. I'd recommend joining the discord server and having a look through the resources_and_tutorials channel.

29. Post #1309
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,726 Posts
    If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the Discord. We have Maya, 3dsMax and Blender users who are more than happy to answer any of them.

30. Post #1310
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,964 Posts

I don't really understand Marmoset fully so it looks better in Unity3D as I've used SP for that.

31. Post #1311
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,322 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

32. Post #1312
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    5,230 Posts
    Feeling really unmotivated right now with notmknowing all them keybindings and stuff in maya. could anyone post their progress over the years? like pictures when you first started and now.

33. Post #1313
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,964 Posts
    Is this okay?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #1314
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,464 Posts
    Feeling really unmotivated right now with notmknowing all them keybindings and stuff in maya. could anyone post their progress over the years? like pictures when you first started and now.
    I made this over 5 years ago:

Two years ago:

Just before christmas:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

35. Post #1315
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    1,593 Posts
    So im just starting to gettkng started with 3d modelling and am using Maya since a friend working in game dev uses it and has been helping me. Do you guys habe any good tutorials or anything i can watch to get more into all different terms, shortcuts etc.
    "Introduction to Maya 2015" from Digital Tutors (Pluralsight) is pretty good if you are ready to spend some money on their subscription. (tip: Visual Studio Dev Essentials might still have free keys available) It's not 100% in-depth but when they use any complex stuff they tell you which tutorials you should try if you want to know a bit more about some specific features.

36. Post #1316
    Mother of Dragons
    March 2006
    1,614 Posts
    6 years ago:

3-4 years ago:

Now - ~1 year old:

Maya has always been my home, I hope you get the motivation back soon!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

37. Post #1317
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,964 Posts
    I started so far back with like with max 7 I used to just do renderings of the solar system constantly, it's all I ever did most of the time.

38. Post #1318
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,322 Posts
    I've been doing 3D for over a decade but don't have anything from my fledgling days. Unfortunately I'm useless and don't have anything impressive now either.

6 Years ago:

Today:
    https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1556343

Edited:

I guess this too:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/1511...ce-designer/p1

39. Post #1319
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,964 Posts
    One thing no one has mentioned is that us that have been doing this for five years and more have adapted through so many different tools,techniques and technological advancements through the gaming industry, modelling is pretty much the same but materials file formats ect have changed in so many ways and now we use all these other programs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #1320
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,464 Posts
    Yeah but most of our work is done in the initial modelling stage. Get it right there you make it easier down the line.