1. Post #1721
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,797 Posts
    I love it.

Oh, what an awful first post for the page. Annecdote time.

So i went to pull the universal joint crosses from the T1 for stubby bob, to modify. So appended the valve gear to strip the U-joints, and uh.

yeah, turns out locomotives are large.

Also stubby made the polycount front page somehow

http://polycount.com/

So that's nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 6Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #1722
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,797 Posts

God damn it, they changed stubby

U-joints are done
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

3. Post #1723
    July 2008
    1,064 Posts
    Small project I spent the last couple days working on. Gonna do some more texture work on the white wall and then i'm calling it done.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 12Friendly Friendly x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #1724
    WJS
    February 2016
    531 Posts
    Can I see the wires for that my dude

5. Post #1725
    July 2008
    1,064 Posts
    Pretty much all the detail is just displacement used on pretty basic topology, the most interesting bit worth showing would probably be the lace though:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Australia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #1726
    Penis Architect
    November 2008
    14,848 Posts
    Small project I spent the last couple days working on. Gonna do some more texture work on the white wall and then i'm calling it done.

the render isn't loading, i only see the reference photo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Vivaldi Norway Show Events Zing Zing x 12Funny Funny x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #1727
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,602 Posts

How'd you do the brickwall?

8. Post #1728
    July 2008
    1,064 Posts
    I sculpted everything to some extent, for the walls I made base meshes then sculpted from there. I used this guys alphas for basically all of it: https://gumroad.com/fredogm

9. Post #1729
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,602 Posts
    So the brickwork isn't displacement on flat geo? Did you sculpt in zBrush or blender?

10. Post #1730
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,125 Posts
    Hey, I got Marvelous Designer, and I'm wondering what you guys think is a good way to get started with it and ease into it.

11. Post #1731
    July 2008
    1,064 Posts
    So the brickwork isn't displacement on flat geo? Did you sculpt in zBrush or blender?
    I built a dirty base mesh just to get the initial shapes of the bricks, chucked it in zbrush, dynameshed and did all my sculpting, then just shrinkwrapped a plane around the final sculpt and baked displacement. Did the exact same thing with the shorter wall.

Here's an image showing each step:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

12. Post #1732
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,119 Posts
    Hey, I got Marvelous Designer, and I'm wondering what you guys think is a good way to get started with it and ease into it.
    I use Marv when I'm putzing around with stuff, and I find that the easiest thing to do is just look at some of your own clothes and try to copy the patterns until you get a general sense for how a shirt or pair of pants or etc is assembled. You can try googling for various patterns but a lot of places will charge for them, so using what you have is generally easier. For specific things, try to find a storefront page for that item, so you can see a few different angles and piece it together yourself. I think trying to just make a well-fitted tshirt is a good starting point.

Quality wise, you're usually going to want to crank the density up to 2mm or so before you export, and then use something like Zbrush decimator to clean up / retopo before you do any further modifications. Keep in mind that you can either simulate real stitching by folding the ends of the fabric in towards eachother where seams meet and stitching back underneath, or just sculpt seams with brushes in zbrush afterwards (if you're unwrapping, using displacement textures for seams works well too). If you don't simulate stitching, though, your stuff can look pretty plain.

Anyways I'm not an expert and my computer is shit so I have to keep my stuff pretty basic, but if you have any questions about techniques and whatnot, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Futuristic pickpocket urchin children with some draft quality Marvelous threads

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

13. Post #1733
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,689 Posts
    Elastic are looking for an American/Canadian Environment artist to join our team on site in Montréal. You'd be helping in the last few months to ship the project and help me with finalizing the last few levels.

Email James @ contact@elastic-games.com if you think you've got what it takes.

Edited:

We're hiring animators too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #1734
    Gold Member

September 2009
    3,280 Posts
    I built a dirty base mesh just to get the initial shapes of the bricks, chucked it in zbrush, dynameshed and did all my sculpting, then just shrinkwrapped a plane around the final sculpt and baked displacement. Did the exact same thing with the shorter wall.

Here's an image showing each step:

The critique I would give you is that the bits between the bricks should be dirtier and not in the same color as the brick itself, as the wall looks weary and chipped but if it was weary the space between the bricks would have caught moisture, dirt, etc over time

15. Post #1735
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,119 Posts
    snip I misread. I would worry about overdoing dirt between the bricks, though it's hard to say without comparing side-by-side, I don't believe it needs too much as it already looks very believable and grounded.

16. Post #1736
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,125 Posts
    I wanted to use Symmetric Paste in Marvelous Designer, but for some reason it's not showing up here, despite there being tutorials showing it in that very menu.

FYI, I'm using Marvelous Designer 6 Personal.

17. Post #1737
    Still Not GLOD
    May 2013
    1,034 Posts
    I made a desk ornament:

And Updated a bunch of cycles nodegroups I had laying around to use the new principled bsdf material

My own damascus pattern metal:

My own leather patterned hard plastic:

b-wide nodepack's carbon fiber:

b-wide nodepack's wood generator:

18. Post #1738
    July 2008
    1,064 Posts
    I wanted to use Symmetric Paste in Marvelous Designer, but for some reason it's not showing up here, despite there being tutorials showing it in that very menu.

FYI, I'm using Marvelous Designer 6 Personal.
    Mirror paste?

19. Post #1739
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,125 Posts
    Mirror paste?
    I tried that, and it does make a flipped copy, but the Symmetric Paste was better since you could edit one side of the pattern while the other side would be similarly altered.

Also, I'm an idiot lol. I just found out that it was Symmetric Pattern I was looking for and I had to get there by right clicking on the pattern itself.

20. Post #1740
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,119 Posts
    If you're using MD6, it's probably confusion due to it being renamed from MD5. If it has a line of symmetry down the center it could be a new feature, symmetric paste from MD5 just makes two separate mirrored pieces that share any edits.

21. Post #1741
    April 2014
    97 Posts
    something spooky for csgo

22. Post #1742
    Mother of Dragons
    March 2006
    1,640 Posts
    Oh yea, forgot to post here, have some guns.

First up we have a weapon I made for Bethesda Game Studios to sell in their Fallout 4 "Creation Club" store.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qlodP

Then we have more Hell Let Loose stuff.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ZbRzG
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/vKgBO
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

23. Post #1743
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,259 Posts
    How did you shrinkwrap a plane around it? Looks like it's been put through InstantMeshes.

24. Post #1744
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,617 Posts
    dunkpad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9Artistic Artistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #1745
    May 2009
    1,357 Posts
    Little raptor run animation practice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 11Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #1746
    July 2008
    1,064 Posts

Glad I can finally show some things from my work from the past months!

I mainly worked on the sequence at 1:55, I modelled all the buildings, some of the street lights and I made the neon sign which he jumps onto.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 17Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #1747
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,797 Posts
    Back from exile.

Mysteriously, it was also a productive week. Go figure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)