1. Post #681
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    10,853 Posts
    I've always wondered how to make a decent car mesh that would lend itself to damage and deformation.

If you guys have ever played Burnout or Flatout, you might know what I'm talking about - the beauty of these games is how the chassis deforms and how each piece falls off

Have you guys ever had to deal with something like this? Any material you suggest I check out?

2. Post #682
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,472 Posts
    I've always wondered how to make a decent car mesh that would lend itself to damage and deformation.

If you guys have ever played Burnout or Flatout, you might know what I'm talking about - the beauty of these games is how the chassis deforms and how each piece falls off

Have you guys ever had to deal with something like this? Any material you suggest I check out?
    I'm still quite new to this kind of stuff, but my guesses they would have each destructible piece as a separate model connected to the main car 'actor'. Whenever the particular piece collides with a excessive force, the mesh would be transformed over the various damage state models, similar to how in some games you have a character creator and can use sliders to slide between various body sizes and stuff (Fallout 4/Skyrim). In Skyrim, for example, if you make a piece of armor, you need a 0 and 1 model (0 being the smallest body a character can have, and 1 being the biggest). The armor is manipulated via vertex groups (if I recall correctly) to fit onto your character, no matter what the size (eg. .5 would be the half way point between he 0 and 1 models). I think something similar is happening to the damaged pieces of the cars in Burnout, where they have possibly multiple 'damaged' models, and they are transitioning between them via vertex group manipulation.

I might be totally wrong though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #683
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,119 Posts
    You might find more recent documentation on BeamNG drive, which is still in development IIRC and has this soft body deformation shit on lock.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #684
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,799 Posts

good topology on the body and just modeling the ever loving shit out of everything basically. Then depending on your game engine, split it into parts in a few different ways in a way that makes them interact all friendly like and come apart properly when asked to. Nothing more to it really. I made some monster truck bodies for Rigs of Rods which might be a little helpful

https://p3d.in/CS7c2/wireonsmooth

You might find more recent documentation on BeamNG drive, which is still in development IIRC and has this soft body deformation shit on lock.
    That's a node based softbody physics sim which is really unreasonably "heavy" for a game because it's constantly calculating a few hundred nodes in real time. He was more asking about how to make deformation/break friendly meshes for typical games i think

Also i've been plugging away at stubby bob. Mostly alternator, starting motor, cylinder block etc. But i did get the #1 most important piece done today

Pretty sure the scoop adds 30 horsepower.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #685
    Penis Architect
    November 2008
    14,848 Posts
    BeamNG does deformable stuff in a completely different way though.
    Burnouts deformable system is, as Lord Hayden said, based on pre-set damage states - Which is a lot easier to work with, and probably runs a thousand times faster.

It's probably not easy to just create a system in this in your average 3D software though.

Edited:

I'd love to get my sweaty hands on this software
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Vivaldi Norway Show Events Useful Useful x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #686
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    10,853 Posts
    Good call! BeamNG has great car meshes, but the way their deformation is calculated (real time soft body physics iirc) makes it kinda peculiar in that regard

good topology on the body and just modeling the ever loving shit out of everything basically. Then depending on your game engine, split it into parts in a few different ways in a way that makes them interact all friendly like and come apart properly when asked to. Nothing more to it really. I made some monster truck bodies for Rigs of Rods which might be a little helpful

https://p3d.in/CS7c2/wireonsmooth

That's a node based softbody physics sim which is really unreasonably "heavy" for a game because it's constantly calculating a few hundred nodes in real time. He was more asking about how to make deformation/break friendly meshes for typical games i think
    Thanks for the mesh, this is exactly the sort of reference I was looking for!

7. Post #687
    February 2009
    1,209 Posts
    Hey, i dont post enough in here, but heres some wips from my final uni project. UE4 btw

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11Winner Winner x 2 (list)

8. Post #688
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,799 Posts
    Has anybody got any fantastically good and fantastically mediocre modeling reels to hand?

I've got a few, but i'm just trying to get a good feel for what works and what doesn't, particularly with presentation. I keep throwing around shot playblasts and thinking "this might feel like i'm avoiding showing some stuff" or "Is this too artsy, should i be keeping it plain jane" or "This feels too simple and unprofessional" or "this feels overly lit" or "this is too simply lit" etc. And i don't really know what works and what doesn't without seeing stuff and getting the vibe of what feels right and what feels wrong.

9. Post #689
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,259 Posts
    The tips I've gathered from some pros at events is audio doesn't matter, most of them mute the video because they're fed up of hearing the same royalty free dubstep songs. Keep it less than 2 minutes, as most of the time, they only watch 30seconds to a minute worth of the reel. Don't cover things up with a lot of post, unless your reel is aimed at post processing. Make sure the best stuff is at the start, and don't include anything you consider sub par - only ever include your best work, even if it means you only have one or two things to show off.

We've been shown reels where most of the work was mediocre, but there was one bit of brilliance somewhere in the 2-3 minutes of footage that got them hired. It can be as little as one model or a few seconds of footage that determines whether or not you get the job. It's all about the quality, not the quantity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

10. Post #690
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,799 Posts
    Yeah for sure. Currently i'm using a glenn miller song I cut down to 1:50 and i'm keeping it as dense as i can. I'm talking purely about the actual technical execution of each individual shot/cut.

11. Post #691
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,259 Posts
    Another thing I forgot to mention, if you're applying for a certain company, try and acknowledge that in your reel, maybe pull off a similar shot they have in some promotional material - not necessarily look like they made it, but show some influence from their own work in the way you present it. This isn't a major thing, but every person stressed that you need to cater your reel (and portfolio) to the company you are applying for.

Just upload what you have, it'l be easier for us to advise.

12. Post #692
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,799 Posts
    I'll have to playblast a bunch of shots tomorrow. I'm mostly asking because i don't want to spend a week rendering and then go "oh this sucks" and bin it

Also i have solidworks experience and experience making "patterns" for casting stuff for a high end jeweler. Would that be worth putting in? On the one hand i'm trying to dig out my neiche as a super technical and accurate mechanical modeller, but on the other hand saying "here's a ten second shot for some shiny shit i helped make for a jewler and also a valve" might come off as gimmicky and irrelevant. And if it's irrelevant, maybe the guy watching the reel might think 'what is this, does he not respect/understand the position'.

13. Post #693
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,918 Posts
    did a test with some 2D effects and volumetric scattering

(pls gary, why is the mediaplayer for vimeo so square)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

14. Post #694
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    15,532 Posts

an very realistic model and shader rendered at a very inaccurate resolution

so low res it renders slower
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 10Funny Funny x 6 (list)

15. Post #695
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,259 Posts
    I'll have to playblast a bunch of shots tomorrow. I'm mostly asking because i don't want to spend a week rendering and then go "oh this sucks" and bin it

Also i have solidworks experience and experience making "patterns" for casting stuff for a high end jeweler. Would that be worth putting in? On the one hand i'm trying to dig out my neiche as a super technical and accurate mechanical modeller, but on the other hand saying "here's a ten second shot for some shiny shit i helped make for a jewler and also a valve" might come off as gimmicky and irrelevant. And if it's irrelevant, maybe the guy watching the reel might think 'what is this, does he not respect/understand the position'.
    Just do viewport capture then, if it's just the shots and angles you're worried about right now, don't bother rendering it - we all know how damn awesome your train model is.

If this is a reel for your website or artstation, sure, anything that's good quality can go in a general reel. Date your work, people like to see how active you are and how your interests change or develop.

If this is a reel you're sending to a specific company with a job application, I'd probably advise against including the jewel stuff, that belongs in a separate reel.

Sorry for the spam, but for the past 3 years we got jack shit in terms of industry input and in our final year an ex industry pro became a lecturer and he's been at work setting up all sorts of events - last week we had a Skype call with an artists at MPC. I know I was desperate for information and opportunities back at the beginning, so now that I've actually had some good feedback and talks with industry guys, I feel obliged to share what I can.

16. Post #696
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    15,532 Posts
    i was wrong it renders slow at high res too thanks to the shader
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #697
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    6,165 Posts

Made an alien themed pillow cover with the pattern being done 100% in substance designer. Pretty happy with the outcome. Now to make it look old.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Winner Winner x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #698
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    6,126 Posts
    I can't be the only one here who actually use Cinema4D?

19. Post #699
    dai

February 2006
    30,113 Posts
    I can't be the only one here who actually use Cinema4D?
    my limited experience with C4D was a college course made mandatory by a guy who just wanted to teach it, because he took over the digital media courses for the college. Not only was his teaching capability awful, but he completely ignored me during class on the premise that I knew 3ds max (I was a TA/sub for the college's 3ds programs for years at that point), while also giving me extra goals for projects (again, no instruction to reach them) and grading me on a heavy curve. I limped out of class with a D while the stoner who constructed bones of a hand out of stretched spheres instead of modeling anything was apparently VERY comfortable with his grade

same dude wrecked the DMD degree by dividing a lot of classes that did well enough into two or three separate programs, to which there were never enough students to fill any one of them and thus nothing ran, while he got multiple teachers fired and filled in their slots teaching various classes. I had him again and again for other classes like web design, animation. I still don't have a degree because I was incapable of taking several courses needed to unlock others :)

Edited:

the program felt like primitive ass back then but I'm seeing a few large studios using it these days, which is surprising but I'm glad it was probably just my experience that made it hard to get into and appreciate the toolset
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

20. Post #700
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    6,126 Posts
    my limited experience with C4D was a college course made mandatory by a guy who just wanted to teach it, because he took over the digital media courses for the college. Not only was his teaching capability awful, but he completely ignored me during class on the premise that I knew 3ds max (I was a TA/sub for the college's 3ds programs for years at that point), while also giving me extra goals for projects (again, no instruction to reach them) and grading me on a heavy curve. I limped out of class with a D while the stoner who constructed bones of a hand out of stretched spheres instead of modeling anything was apparently VERY comfortable with his grade

same dude wrecked the DMD degree by dividing a lot of classes that did well enough into two or three separate programs, to which there were never enough students to fill any one of them and thus nothing ran, while he got multiple teachers fired and filled in their slots teaching various classes. I had him again and again for other classes like web design, animation. I still don't have a degree because I was incapable of taking several courses needed to unlock others :)

Edited:

the program felt like primitive ass back then but I'm seeing a few large studios using it these days, which is surprising but I'm glad it was probably just my experience that made it hard to get into and appreciate the toolset
    It had waaaaaaaaaay lots of issues back then, but now it's actually real good if used by its actual purpose, such as: Motion Graphics and broadcast elements. Lots of sport and car commercials you see are done in C4D, which I can understand due to its tools rely heavily to those areas, but I've seen people create lots of architectural work with it. I can't recommend it for game developing at all, even though it is possible by some degree. It has a nice learning curve with its simple layout.

All I use it for is graphical design and short animated half-assed quality films that never get done, but I have been working 6 months on a project now and it's going real well, even though every single thing I'm doing requires practicing new methods and tools, so it's slow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #701
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,918 Posts
    Im a hard core cinema fan, been using it since 2010

I use it at work where i create videos for a norwegian site/app that teaches people to take the drivers license, in a team of only me. Ive created soon 200 videos ranging from 1-10 minutes long.

I must say the quality of the things i made in the begining isnt as good as now, but god damn is C4D a good tool for a 1 man show.

And to top that off, when i come home i dont have much life, so i love experimenting with weird ideas i get, and simulations, which all ends up on my instagram: https://www.instagram.com/appleby3d/

Heres a reel/ad we have made, i didnt make the 2D stuff, got another person for that, but all the 3D clips you see are all me
    https://vimeo.com/196575326
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #702
    Gold Member
    February 2014
    781 Posts
    Im a hard core cinema fan, been using it since 2010

I use it at work where i create videos for a norwegian site/app that teaches people to take the drivers license, in a team of only me. Ive created soon 200 videos ranging from 1-10 minutes long.

I must say the quality of the things i made in the begining isnt as good as now, but god damn is C4D a good tool for a 1 man show.

And to top that off, when i come home i dont have much life, so i love experimenting with weird ideas i get, and simulations, which all ends up on my instagram: https://www.instagram.com/appleby3d/

Heres a reel/ad we have made, i didnt make the 2D stuff, got another person for that, but all the 3D clips you see are all me
    https://vimeo.com/196575326
    I'm seriously impressed with your work. That audio cable spider is the coolest thing I've seen in a while. Your other simulations makes me want to try my hand at it too, but I would have no idea where to start.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

23. Post #703
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,472 Posts
    Sorting out a Star Citizen workflow for a uni project. Coming from Unreal to Lumberyard feels like I've taken 5 steps backwards. I have no idea why Unreal hasn't added in POM differed decals yet. If anyone knows if they're possible in some form, please let me know and put me out of this Lumberyard misery.

24. Post #704
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,799 Posts
    Just upload what you have, it'l be easier for us to advise.

Here's some unrendered shots as playblasts. Still yet to make the breakdown pans and i got plenty more time to fill. I also have to figure out how to show off the rigging as well. Might just record the screen in blender with matcap on and play an animation to show shit off "inhouse" as it were

Also i want to get a job at Turn 10, and they make a big deal about their proprietary tools that can combine Cad/solidworks bezier models with traditional modelling, so i figure they'd highly value the ability to read technical drawings and work realistically as far as actual machining/engineering/etc goes. So i'm not sure if throwing the jewlery work i did in would be relevant or unwanted fluff.

Also, stabby boob is starting to look like something

The front end is a super weird shape. I like it but man is it tough to nail down
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #705
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    4,224 Posts

Edited:

Couldn't you have gone to the dean or something? I figure that he must have been the chair of your department, but how could that guy get away with nuking an entire program and singling out one of his students?

26. Post #706
    dai

February 2006
    30,113 Posts
    Couldn't you have gone to the dean or something? I figure that he must have been the chair of your department, but how could that guy get away with nuking an entire program and singling out one of his students?
    the guy got fired after a few years for reasons that I haven't heard, but have some good guesses on. I complained a decent amount and got very little out of it, given the guy was some old alumni with big art pieces donated to the college, so there was likely some favoritism

this was also during the height of the late 2000's depression so I was getting more and more involved in my work, giving up the fight at college to keep my actual business afloat when clients were very scarce and the ones you did land were cheapskates

I think I brought home 10k one of those years because most of my money just stayed in the business account to avoid other bullshit. I ended up owing like 7k in taxes that year, which was fuuuuun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

27. Post #707
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,918 Posts
    I'm seriously impressed with your work. That audio cable spider is the coolest thing I've seen in a while. Your other simulations makes me want to try my hand at it too, but I would have no idea where to start.
    Thank you! its definitely my proudest work so far.

I havent done it myself but you should look into houdini, ive seen some tutorials for simulations in it, and the node workflow in houdini looks so great
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #708
    Gold Member
    February 2014
    781 Posts

artsy closeup shot of the sculpt I'm currently working on

Thank you! its definitely my proudest work so far.

I havent done it myself but you should look into houdini, ive seen some tutorials for simulations in it, and the node workflow in houdini looks so great
    Thanks! I've heard about it, will check it out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Norway Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #709
    Gold Member

September 2009
    3,280 Posts
    another quick character im building up, i'm learning blenders sculpting tools through it, and I have to say that they're fantastic, blender has come a long way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Israel Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

30. Post #710
    🚿💩🚿 just do it in the shower and stomp it down the drain asd 🚿💩🚿
    September 2008
    3,654 Posts
    Here's a gritty bathroom I've been working on in UE4. It was a fun way to challenge my modeling and lighting skills.

I think I'm happy with the lighting. I keep getting the urge to change something, though.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 8Winner Winner x 3 (list)

31. Post #711
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,119 Posts
    Though you shouldn't fall into the AAA game trope of making everything glossy, it wouldn't hurt to try bumping up specularity on the stall doors and tiles just a bit. IMO almost everything has just a liiiittle specular.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

32. Post #712
    🚿💩🚿 just do it in the shower and stomp it down the drain asd 🚿💩🚿
    September 2008
    3,654 Posts
    Though you shouldn't fall into the AAA game trope of making everything glossy, it wouldn't hurt to try bumping up specularity on the stall doors and tiles just a bit. IMO almost everything has just a liiiittle specular.
    Yeah, I honestly was afraid of making everything look too glossy. I'll give it a shot and see how it turns out.

33. Post #713
    Gold Member

September 2009
    3,280 Posts
    just a quick reindition of the style I want to go for

its very basic retopology and texture, mainly to get the feel
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Israel Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11Winner Winner x 2 (list)

34. Post #714
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    469 Posts

Modo is super fun! I'm new to polygonal/sub-d modeling, coming from SolidWorks.
    It's quite refreshing not having to dimension everything.

35. Post #715
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,384 Posts

Full nudes

Posting now that the installation01 shit is up even tho it's been out for a bit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

36. Post #716
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    6,418 Posts
    Not sure if you guys remember me talking about a job opportunity where I'd have to learn C4D. Sounds like a good company and it would be a good foot in the door but, eww, C4D. Regardless - found a site called Glassdoor where people post reviews of their interview process. Found 3 separate reviews from people that have applied for the same position over the last ~6 months that said they've completed an art test and sent off the files along with presentation renders and haven't heard a word back from them. This could be salty people that did a shit job and haven't had a response for obvious reasons, but it could also be that the company is essentially scamming free labour via art tests. This sounds incredibly unlikely as it's a fairly large company over here in the UK and that would hurt their reputation badly. I'm not naming the company as this is all conjecture obviously

So it has been a month without a reply and out of the blue I get one last week. Shoot over my website URL and they've emailed me again today with an art test due in by next Monday. I'm planning on doing it as it'll be some good high poly modeling practice and it could lead to a great opportunity for me, but I can't help but feel a little bit torn over the reviews that I saw
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

37. Post #717
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    6,418 Posts
    So they accidentally sent references and a C4D file for a different art test, out of curiosity I grabbed a demo of C4D and opened the file. I really hope this isn't the work of somebody they've hired because....

????
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 11Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #718
    Gold Member
    August 2013
    7,512 Posts

Have a robot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Waterfox United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #719
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    11,691 Posts
    Here's what I've been working on for the last few weeks:

Mostly responsible for assets and so forth, I didn't have a huge amount of input past that but it's still a noteable amount.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 13Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #720
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    15,532 Posts
    testing realistic rendering of an LCD screen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Useful Useful x 2Winner Winner x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)