1. Post #1401
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    4,224 Posts
    Have you tried giving the material some more transmission/scattering? Small things usually let some light through.

Can't see if you did on the picture
    It has enough scattering that shadows will pass through it, yes.

Edited:

Attempting to render it with a realistically sized environment as opposed to just surrounding it with reference objects seems to have a beneficial effect. I made the surface plane it was on 5 x 5 feet and set the camera's origin at about the same height and distance from the plates I believe the photographers of that set held their DSLRs.

Also replicated the specs of my Canon.

2. Post #1402
    Still Not GLOD
    May 2013
    974 Posts
    I'd play with the camera fov, that can pact sense of scale a lot.

Edited:

blender also has camera spec "presets", you could try flipping through those.

3. Post #1403
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    4,576 Posts
    I've been looking all over Facepunch, as someone almost COMPLETELY NEW to modeling/Blender, is this the place to ask questions? Additionally, the texturing tutorial in the OP seems to be down.

4. Post #1404
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    6,409 Posts
    I personally think this is the best place but there is a modeling subforum too, it's mostly just people ripping stuff from games in order to use in their gmod sex poses though

Got a discord too for quick questions https://discordapp.com/invite/pgSdYxC
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #1405
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    4,576 Posts
    That's actually what put me off of posting in the modeling subforum. I just assumed it was solely for ripping models.

I'll hop onto that Discord though, thanks!

6. Post #1406
    Gold Member

May 2006
    6,112 Posts
    snip

7. Post #1407
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    6,137 Posts
    Does maya have anything similar to max's render to texture? I want to make an alpha map for some blades of grass but so far any tutorial I have came across has been not what I have been looking for.

Honestly just wish I could use max for what I for some reason am unable to get a student copy.

Edit: NVM transfer maps is what I was looking for.

8. Post #1408
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,729 Posts

BOOST

Still gotta figure out the throttle linkage. A friend with a holley carb is gonna measure it for me because i can't find anything helpful with it, but other than that the supercharger up is done

9. Post #1409
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    5,953 Posts
    Now I want to model a V8 witness me mobil

10. Post #1410
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,729 Posts
    yeah i'd love to do my own original mad max car with this thing

Come to think, it's the same basic engine/supercharger setup that the gigahorse has. Just needs a turbo and 58 caddy stapled to it

Also someone needs to model the general mayhem

Subby bob and mayhem? c'mon
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

11. Post #1411
    Mother of Dragons
    March 2006
    1,627 Posts
    Gun weapon firearm shooter on this page too bois.

~Artstation link~

Edit:

Winchester Model 1887 I did for the "wurstworld" update for H3VR, will post more renders when I get around doing them.

~Artstion link~
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 12Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #1412
    July 2008
    1,055 Posts
    I bought a little light tent for photogrammetry and this is the first thing I used it for, came out really well. It has really diffuse lighting an even picked up the little holes. rendered with some quick roughness/translucency maps from the diffuse.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 9Zing Zing x 1 (list)

13. Post #1413
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,879 Posts
    Nice! Love photogrammetry.

What does your setup look like, and do you recommend any tents or lightsetups?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #1414
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    5,032 Posts
    Started learning Blender as my first 3D modeler or whatever it's called

Doing the Blender beginner tutorial by Blender Guru

It's all surprisingly straightforward and easy to use! :)

The donut isn't technically made by me because i just followed simple instructions on how to make it but still   
    Cant wait to learn how to make cool shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #1415
    Still Not GLOD
    May 2013
    974 Posts
    Feel free to join the discord link in the op if you have questions, myself and a few others are mainly blender users.

16. Post #1416
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,448 Posts
    It's all surprisingly straightforward and easy to use! :)
    who paid you to post that

Edited:

jk I personally find the UI and camera controls horrible

17. Post #1417
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    5,032 Posts
    who paid you to post that

Edited:

jk I personally find the UI and camera controls horrible
    I mean yeah those and the hotkeys feel a bit tricky but the tools and features themselves seem easy to use
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #1418
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,280 Posts
    I was looking for an alternative way to make my own environments for the pepper & carrot game revival I have been working on, what I have done is make very simple 3d environments using the comic as textures as suggested by someone on the creationism corner discord.

I have to say blender is now my favorite 3d tool, it's exactly the kind of program that I like, with very fast hotkey based workflow, and it all makes sense.

In-engine:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Spain Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #1419
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    10,816 Posts
    it's a shame Blender wants absolutely nothing to do with autodesk models and animations, otherwise it would be perfect

20. Post #1420
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,280 Posts
    it's a shame Blender wants absolutely nothing to do with autodesk models and animations, otherwise it would be perfect
    I think it's the other way around, FBX is the non-open format.

Collada has as many features, and it's what I use.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Spain Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #1421
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,465 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #1422
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    3,280 Posts
    The SDK is not open, and there's no proper official FBX spec, also it's license is too restrictive to even be packaged with blender:

https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/U...odesk_FBX_EULA

23. Post #1423
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,465 Posts
    im not too up on my license lingo and all that jazz, forgive me

still, there's a lot to be said for the expectations clients or employers will have when working with files and the lack of good fbx support hurts blender a lot in that regard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #1424
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,198 Posts
    im not too up on my license lingo and all that jazz, forgive me

still, there's a lot to be said for the expectations clients or employers will have when working with files and the lack of good fbx support hurts blender a lot in that regard
    Blender won't bend around proprietary or otherwise restricted formats, e.g. licensing issues.
    If the implementation isn't open and free its not gonna happen.

That sometimes hurts Blender, similar situations exist for other plugins but it won't change.

25. Post #1425
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,465 Posts
    I don't necessarily think they should have to change their stance either, and do wish more software was as open as they strive to be. I just meant to speak to professional requirements.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #1426
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,729 Posts
    I bought a little light tent for photogrammetry and this is the first thing I used it for, came out really well. It has really diffuse lighting an even picked up the little holes. rendered with some quick roughness/translucency maps from the diffuse.

What HDRI skydome image is that? That looks really useful for my sort of stuff. Mind pointing me in the right direction?

I mean yeah those and the hotkeys feel a bit tricky but the tools and features themselves seem easy to use

Heed my warning. Once you internalize all the blender hotkeys, modelling in anything else will feel like you're missing a limb.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

27. Post #1427
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    243 Posts
    I wanted a phone holder yesterday and the first thing that popped into my head was a forklift, so I went with that.
    Just shy of 14 hours print time.

It even has a hidden compartment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 8Friendly Friendly x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

28. Post #1428
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,465 Posts
    nobody will be able to find your nugs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #1429
    July 2008
    1,055 Posts
    What HDRI skydome image is that? That looks really useful for my sort of stuff. Mind pointing me in the right direction?

Heed my warning. Once you internalize all the blender hotkeys, modelling in anything else will feel like you're missing a limb.
    https://www.doschdesign.com/products...ckgrounds.html

It's part of this pack. Doschdesign have the best hdri's I've ever used, I'd recommend looking through all their stuff. Working in film vfx for the past while has made me realize how terrible so many hdris out there are, dosch is the only one to reach the quality I'm after.

I'll try get a photo of my light tent setup tonight as well, still setting things up to work properly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #1430
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    2,729 Posts
    Ah, it looks nice but not 120 bucks nice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #1431
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    2,661 Posts
    How is this for a first blender render? I'm currently making up some beds for the company I work for to use on places like Sketchfab. They are made from manufactured wood [MDF] with a kind of matte look to them.

This is supposed to be as close to a studio shot as possible. Do you think there are any areas that I could improve on and if so, is there a direction you can point me in please [specific tutorials etc]?

Blender Render:

Actual picture of the product:

32. Post #1432
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    4,224 Posts
    How is this for a first blender render? I'm currently making up some beds for the company I work for to use on places like Sketchfab. They are made from manufactured wood [MDF] with a kind of matte look to them.

This is supposed to be as close to a studio shot as possible. Do you think there are any areas that I could improve on and if so, is there a direction you can point me in please [specific tutorials etc]?
    If it's supposed to be exactly like the studio shot, then add more vertices to the front bumps on the side panels. If you're using Cycles, then you either need to download the latest (experimental) Blender version from github to use the new, built-in PBR shader, or you need to look into designing one yourself. If you don't want to use the experimental version, then you should also look into downloading the Filmic Log Encoding Base, which greatly improves photorealism by implementing a more dynamic color space.

The edges of the panels and wood boards look dangerously and unrealistically sharp. You should also almost always bevel edges, since having a large, infinitely sharp angle is impossible in reality and will sometimes create unrealistic lighting around the violating corners/edges in Cycles. Subsurface does this for you, but if you don't want unnecessary face geometry, then using the bevel tool will usually do the same job without any needed cleanup. To give a good example, those black boards sticking out of the side panel don't look like a real material because the shine just stops on their edges in the render, whereas in the photo it wraps around the corners. Beveling the edges, not making them infinitely sharp, is what allows for sleek highlights on the edges of objects. Additionally, the materials of the black boards and the rest of the car also look like they're just a diffuse and a glossy mixed together, which isn't physically accurate.

Blender Guru has a lot of stuff on photorealism, especially when it comes to archviz.

Edited:

Oh, and if you really want to make it look exactly like the studio photo, then remove the floor plane and use a white background. The studio photo is either using a green screen or someone's gone ahead and cropped the car out.

Edited:

Filmic Log Encoding Base explained:

Blender's new, built-in PBR shader:

33. Post #1433
    Still Not GLOD
    May 2013
    974 Posts
    The new version of blender is a great step up in regards to photorealism. I'd take a look at the clearcoat option on the "principled" pbr shader.

If it wasn't made clear the new version also includes the filmic color option, which does a lot for photorealism. (after you do this, I'd play around with pushing the brightness of your lights/environment beyond 1.)

Another big plus is the addition of a denoiser, so you won't have to render for so many hours and still end up with a noisy result.

As far as the model is concerned, I'd experiment with adding a bevel modifier to smooth the sharp corners. You can limit its effect by "angle" so that it does not affect the entire mesh, and only the sharp edges. on top of that I'd add a subdivision surface modifier to smooth out some of the curves, which are still visibly blocky in some areas, like the side near the front.

34. Post #1434
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,465 Posts
    I didn't see it mentioned but one big thing that would make it look more realistic is to make sure the camera lens is at a realistic focal length and framed how a person would frame the real thing to show as much detail as possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #1435
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    4,224 Posts
    Oh, and while we're in the vein of improving rendering times, it's paramount that you find the optimal tile size for whatever device you're using to render. Doing so can significantly reduce rendering time.

36. Post #1436
    Still Not GLOD
    May 2013
    974 Posts
    Oh, and while we're in the vein of improving rendering times, it's paramount that you find the optimal tile size for whatever device you're using to render. Doing so can significantly reduce rendering time.
    There's an addon that will automatically adjust your tilesize for you.
    auto tilesize

37. Post #1437
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,465 Posts
    Can you not just progressive render and use a denoiser? Tiled rendering kinda sucks compared to progressive these days.

38. Post #1438
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    5,448 Posts
    If it's supposed to be exactly like the studio shot, then add more vertices to the front bumps on the side panels. If you're using Cycles, then you either need to download the latest (experimental) Blender version from github to use the new, built-in PBR shader, or you need to look into designing one yourself. If you don't want to use the experimental version, then you should also look into downloading the Filmic Log Encoding Base, which greatly improves photorealism by implementing a more dynamic color space.

The edges of the panels and wood boards look dangerously and unrealistically sharp. You should also almost always bevel edges, since having a large, infinitely sharp angle is impossible in reality and will sometimes create unrealistic lighting around the violating corners/edges in Cycles. Subsurface does this for you, but if you don't want unnecessary face geometry, then using the bevel tool will usually do the same job without any needed cleanup. To give a good example, those black boards sticking out of the side panel don't look like a real material because the shine just stops on their edges in the render, whereas in the photo it wraps around the corners. Beveling the edges, not making them infinitely sharp, is what allows for sleek highlights on the edges of objects. Additionally, the materials of the black boards and the rest of the car also look like they're just a diffuse and a glossy mixed together, which isn't physically accurate.

Blender Guru has a lot of stuff on photorealism, especially when it comes to archviz.

Edited:

Oh, and if you really want to make it look exactly like the studio photo, then remove the floor plane and use a white background. The studio photo is either using a green screen or someone's gone ahead and cropped the car out.

Edited:

Filmic Log Encoding Base explained:

Blender's new, built-in PBR shader:

I've never heard about the problems with sRGB before, does the same apply to other programs as well?

39. Post #1439
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    15,465 Posts
    If you mean non-color textures having to be sampled as linear rather than sRGB then yep. Literally all programs must work the same or they cannot render correctly

40. Post #1440
    Sir Michael Cole
    September 2008
    3,592 Posts
    Greyboxing a little hallway in UE4. I'm hoping to use this to practice more with Substance Designer.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5 (list)