1. Post #1
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    14,064 Posts
    Didn't rate it at the last thread, but I saw the extended edition of Suicide Squad today and I seriously don't know why I gave this fucking piece of shit another chance. Same thing happened with BvS. It just made an already terrible movie just go on longer than it needed to.

Fucking 2/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    4,360 Posts
    I was babysitting my youngest nephew this evening, so I ended up watching The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water with him since he's such a fan of Spongebob. Fucking christ, that movie is annoying. How can anyone, regardless of age, possibly enjoy hearing this every damn time? 1/10, I'd rather be burned alive while bamboo chips are being shoved under my nails and into every orifice of my body than have to hear this shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,968 Posts
    I wasn't gonna share this until I had a whole bunch more under my belt, but I rated (reviewed, I guess) Fantastic Beasts. I'll link to the actual review cos it's long as fuck.

FINAL VERDICT 7/10 not enough well-timed incidental music (just pick up a fucking tuba honestly)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome New Zealand Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    1,993 Posts
    Of Mice and Men (1992)
    Quite faithful to the book. Overall, it was a good adaption, but its nothing exceptional.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    16,370 Posts
    The title should have been "Starship Troopers is a Masterpiece"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari Japan Show Events Agree Agree x 13Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    9,882 Posts
    Did Rusty put a gun to your head to make that title?

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,480 Posts
    I was babysitting my youngest nephew this evening, so I ended up watching The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water with him since he's such a fan of Spongebob. Fucking christ, that movie is annoying. How can anyone, regardless of age, possibly enjoy hearing this every damn time? 1/10, I'd rather be burned alive while bamboo chips are being shoved under my nails and into every orifice of my body than have to hear this shit.
    i liked sponge out of water ;(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Dennab
    February 2008
    865 Posts
    An Extremely Goofy Movie 10/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    32,063 Posts
    Saul fia (Son of Saul)

Superb.

Now just because it's another holocaust movie, doesn't mean it'll be the same old predictable experience, same old outcomes and what have you because this one deserves some attention.

What makes this a unique and worthwhile experience is the perspective and flow. There are rarely films that immerse you into the situation quite like what you see here. You can almost smell and absorb the surroundings it's this strong.

As far as plot and development, it's not too dissimilar to things like Grey Zone. But again we're back to what makes this movie tick and it's simply the nature of the experience.

It's not the be all end all of films, I have to say it didn't quite hit me in the heart like some war films, but it definitely goes to show that the modern era can still deliver an experience of film where the technique is inspired to the point where it becomes memorable enough anyway.

Edited:

Didn't rate it at the last thread, but I saw the extended edition of Suicide Squad today and I seriously don't know why I gave this fucking piece of shit another chance. Same thing happened with BvS. It just made an already terrible movie just go on longer than it needed to.

Fucking 2/10
    why would you watch this again?

There is not a single inclination of seeing a film again unless I know it has something to offer that I missed the first time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    14,064 Posts
    I hadn't seen the extended cut and a lot of people said it "fixed the issues".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    24,889 Posts
    Only thing that kept me going was to see some ass

12. Post #12
    the fuck is this?
    Dennab
    November 2009
    18,339 Posts
    Only thing that kept me going was to see some ass
    Google can provide you the same results without having to sit through the movie.

Also, watched Unforgiven the other night, definite 9/10.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,266 Posts
    Peter Jackson's still got it but I wonder how well the movies would have turned out if the production didn't have these massive issues. Sucks how they are right now, but I know that Jackson can do better.

14. Post #14
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    14,064 Posts
    Jackson is okay. I love LOTR and his low budget splatter films, but The Lovely Bones and all three Hobbit movies were abysmally bad.

Plus he promised the Halo movie and never delivered, not that it would have been a masterpiece...

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    11,144 Posts
    Pearl Harbor.

Overly dramatized, romantic triangle bullshit with the cringiest lines at times that just make me wanna vomit sake and stab people...

But the visual effects are top friggen tier and they STILL hold up today quite well.

16. Post #16
    churboi austin
    Dennab
    October 2007
    14,715 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    5,029 Posts
    Downfall (Der Untergang)

Pretty good "everything's falling apart" type atmosphere. Not sure I liked how much focus was put on Traudl though. The 1942 scene and the modern day stuff didn't add much to the film. Her character is just one among many others and didn't feel particularly deserving of such special treatment (it's not even like the story is really told through her eyes).

18. Post #18
    June 2013
    1,769 Posts
    Watched Doctor Strange. 7/10, there were some things I didn't like about it though.

- The beginning where Strange gets into a car crash is jokingly abrupt. There's no lead up to it or anything, it just happens
    - Many of the jokes are extremely flat. Some parts that are meant to be epic are marred by the cut in comedy. The audience liked it. I thought it was dumb.
    - The part where Strange learns magic is way too short. They don't even show the part where he successfully pulls it off.
    - The bad guy was great... The film just needed more of him.
    - Maybe this follows in line with the comic but the ending to me feels a bit abrupt. The main character just goes full on god mode with his time gadget or whatever and just wins. The fuck?  

Also it's obvious that I haven't read the comics. But despite my complaints the film was still very entertaining.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    1,993 Posts
    I actually used to like this film when I was a kid. We had it on VHS so I saw it quite a few times. I remember it being alright, but I haven't seen it in years so I'm probably remembering it through nostalgia goggles.

20. Post #20
    April 2010
    680 Posts
    Dead Poets Society

10/10
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Edge United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    3,355 Posts
    The Big Short
    '08/10

Excellent movie, but frustrating to watch coz the banks fucked over my family.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,266 Posts
    The Mummy (8/10)
    The Mummy Returns (7/10)

Fun movies, great charm to them and very enjoyable to watch. John Hannah also absolutely owns every scene he is in.
    Now I'm very concerned that the new Mummy movie won't have any kind of charm like these ones have.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    Annotated Reader Lapsed Pacifist
    December 2008
    16,370 Posts
    At least the new one already looks leagues better than Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Japan Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    June 2013
    1,265 Posts
    Am I the only one who genuinely like the first Goofy Movie?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,266 Posts
    At least the new one already looks leagues better than Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
    Yeah, that was just... ugh. Not even made by the same people and it shows.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,480 Posts
    Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984) - 1984, 1984/1990
    john hurt was a perfect choice for winston, plus that eurythmics soundtrack, o god
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Unofficial Facepunch Android App United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    17,950 Posts
    Watched "Men and Chicken" (starring Mads Mikkelsen) with my little brother yesterday - the same director and basically the same cast as "Adam's Apples" and "The Green Butchers", so I knew what to expect and it basically delivered. Falls off a bit in the second half, but I'd say it's a pretty solid comedy. Don't know how well the humour translates, and the trailer sucks, but if you'd like to watch Mads Mikkelsen play a not so serious roll, I'd check it out. 7/10 I'd say.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    3,950 Posts
    decided to rewatch Jumper because I remembered it being a bit fun.

What an atrocious piece of garbage. It's clear that there was so little effort put into the writing, they just wanted a cash-grabbing VFX filled action flick with no depth at all.

Recycled garbage story and forced 'romance' in which both the girl and boy are incredibly dumb, have 0 chemistry, and where most of the time he comes off as a totally manipulative asshole. Their relationship is totally unbelievable and they literally don't even talk about anything during the film. The action scenes are the only cool thing, and S. Jackson is pretty fun to watch with his hilarious fake white hair, but that's it. It's really poorly made in its entirety.

Oh and my flatmate made me realize that    if the protagonist wore a rubber suit he would be invincible, since all they use to stop him is electricity.   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Malta Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    21,399 Posts
    been seeing too much superhero shit. decided to watch some real movies

Zodiac

Didn't draw me in as much as I'd hoped. I like Fincher, but some of his movies feel a bit unsatisfying. It's clear he likes stories without much closure, so an unsolved case is the perfect playing field, and he does have a lot of fun with it. There is so, so much to praise in this movie, but as a simple viewing experience, it wasn't for me

Gone Baby Gone

This reminds me of Gone Girl a lot. The name, the subject matter, the tone and the Ben Affleck association... even the obvious book pacing is here. Great little film, by the way.

Layer Cake

I know these types of movie have been around for longer than Guy Ritchie, but the heavily stylized approach (which this movie doesn't quite have) is just what I've come to expect from them, so the first half of Layer Cake was a bit awkward to get used to. It's like the style is just under the surface, but doesn't really come out? It was made by Guy Ritchie's producer, so that explains a lot. Still, the movie flows well and the characters are all distinct and well established, not to mention surprisingly charismatic for how horrible and violent they are. Lots of moments where it goes beyond 'movie cleverness' and shows real, legitimate wit    "The art of good business is being a good middleman", anyone?   , which almost makes me feel bad for saying that, while it's wildly entertaining, it doesn't have that much depth (not that it needs it)

Ex Machina

"it's fine" 9/10

30. Post #30
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    14,064 Posts
    been seeing too much superhero shit. decided to watch some real movies

Zodiac

Didn't draw me in as much as I'd hoped. I like Fincher, but some of his movies feel a bit unsatisfying. It's clear he likes stories without much closure, so an unsolved case is the perfect playing field, and he does have a lot of fun with it. There is so, so much to praise in this movie, but as a simple viewing experience, it wasn't for me
    Aw, that makes me sad. Zodiac is a legit 10/10 film to me. I've only seen the 3 hour long director's cut, but it feels like a 90 minute movie. I've seen it three times and it's easily one of my favorite movies of all time. Maybe my favorite crime film.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    9,120 Posts
    I can't count how many times I've seen Zodiac, it's god damn perfect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    5,029 Posts
    12 Monkeys

Very good time travel story, also very bleak.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Vivaldi Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    January 2013
    2,112 Posts
    I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey in 70mm at the Egyptian Theater last night. This is only the second time I've seen it. The first time I saw it was a few years ago on TV in a brightly lit room in an environment that could best be described as not-quite-ideal in terms of noise level.

It's amazing how quickly my opinion of it went from "yeah it's pretty good, I guess I see why people love it so much" to easily being one of my very favorite films. I really need to act on the opportunity to go see classics like this in the theater more often. Right now I'm just thinking about all the movies I already love that I'd probably love even more if I could see them on the big screen.

Edited:

Also I was a bit frightened the whole time because I had a bag of candy on me, and every time I'd reach in to take a piece out and made just the slightest crinkling noise due to making contact with the wrapper, the dude in the seat one to the left in front of me would turn around and glare at me briefly. I was trying to be quiet about it, but I found it very difficult to avoid making noise entirely. In retrospect, considering the circumstances of it being a special occasion for a lot of people there, maybe it would've just been better to do without the snacks this time.

Like, I think it's weird that this guy would choose to turn his neck a whole 90+ degrees to stare at me on like fifteen separate occasions during the screening, but was I possibly in the wrong there, too?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    14,064 Posts
    What I wouldn't do to see 2001 in a theater...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    9,120 Posts
    A local theater was showing it here for a night last month, but I ended up having a nasty cold so I couldn't go.

I'm still upset about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    8,969 Posts
    I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey in 70mm at the Egyptian Theater last night. This is only the second time I've seen it. The first time I saw it was a few years ago on TV in a brightly lit room in an environment that could be described as not-quite-ideal in terms of noise level.

It's amazing how quickly my opinion of it went from "yeah it's pretty good, I guess I see why people love it so much" to easily being one of my very favorite films. I really need to act on the opportunity to go see classics like this in the theater more often. Right now I'm just thinking about all the movies I already love that I'd probably love even more if I could see them on the big screen.

Edited:

Also I was a bit frightened the whole time because I had a bag of candy on me, and every time I'd reach in to take a piece out and made just the slightest crinkling noise due to making contact with the wrapper, the dude in the seat one to the left in front of me would turn around and glare at me briefly. I was trying to be quiet about it, but I found it very difficult to avoid making noise entirely. In retrospect, considering the circumstances of it being a special occasion for a lot of people there, maybe it would've just been better to do without the snacks this time.

I dunno, what do you think? Do wrapper noises bother you as much as they bother this guy, or did he just need to chill out and watch the movie instead of watching me?
    I got to see all the Star Wars movies in a theater last year, I definitely want to see more older movies in theaters as well. I know TCM was doing a collaboration with some theater chain this year, but I wasn't ever able to make it any of the showings, the two I really wanted to see in a theater were Dr. Strangelove and The Shining.

Though, I am seeing John Cleese and Monty Python and the Holy Grail in January. He's going to be telling stories and answering questions after the screening.

37. Post #37
    Dennab
    February 2008
    865 Posts
    I know what you mean. I saw Pokémon the Movie 2000 in theatres and it blew me away. Definitely 10/10 for sure, only 9/10 on VHS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    6,772 Posts
    i didn't want to create a new thread solely for this interview but i thought i would share it here anyways even if it's a couple of days old

Miyazaki is shown an ai generated cgi animation of basically a corpse that uses his own head to walk, he quickly rejects it as something distateful for two reasons. number one, he reminds it of an old handicapped friend who struggled to even give him a high-five when they met each other
    number two, the animation lacks any sort of emotion and pain from the corpse itself

i watched only a couple of his movies, and those were years ago too so i'm certainly not the most qualified person to speak, but i admire his stance about this nonetheless. do you agree with him? can cgi animation created by human beings be soulless too? does it fail to express any sort of real sympathy for the viewers?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Italy Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    the fuck is this?
    Dennab
    November 2009
    18,339 Posts
    cgi isn't soulless, but that abomination on that screen should be set on fire and put out of its misery.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

40. Post #40
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    21,399 Posts
    it was a shit presentation that's for sure
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)