1. Post #1841
    July 2017
    59 Posts
    For all intents and purposes, I'm considering the Mk. V Armor finished. For now anyway, the Blender material needs some work still.

I turned three texture masks into one RGB Mask, with Green being the armor shading/color, Red being the visor, and Blue is the lights. Now that I have a mask for the lights they will glow properly (This picture doesn't really showcase that, though).

Next I need to model the Under Suit... The normal map on that will likely be more difficult to make, but since it doesn't have much texture detail it should be finished a LOT faster than the Mk. V Armor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #1842

November 2016
    101 Posts
    Hope I'm not interrupting anything... More work completed on my Chief model:

For the internal bits and bobs of the Mk. V Armor, tried to populate it with a lot of differing shapes. I believe its just enough detail that nobody will pay attention to it during an animation. I still need to give a small part of the Helmet the same treatment, and then I can begin work on the Undersuit.
    Did you do all the little detail on your own? If so, this is outstanding work. You have talent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #1843
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    7,807 Posts
    Has anyone got a model of the Covenant destroyer from Halo Wars 1?

Edited:

I found this one on sketch fab, but was hoping someone else has it. https://sketchfab.com/models/afee16d...493eba4840080a
    Nothing that's from the games, since you only see it in pre-rendered Blur cutscenes.

4. Post #1844
    May 2017
    158 Posts
    I'm sorry ElectricSquid, but your profile pic is so damn satisfying :O Every time you post something I stare at it for hours lol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #1845
    August 2016
    379 Posts
    Something I made out of the top of my head. I do plan to retexture the body and the flood parts to look more like the H3 style flood. Might use this to replace the armored uncommon infected in L4D2 or the Hunter.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #1846
    June 2010
    717 Posts
    Something I made out of the top of my head. I do plan to retexture the body and the flood parts to look more like the H3 style flood. Might use this to replace the armored uncommon infected in L4D2 or the Hunter.
    I recommend taking away the smiley mouth, I don't think anyone really liked that addition in Halo 4 infection
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

7. Post #1847
    October 2016
    313 Posts
    I recommend taking away the smiley mouth, I don't think anyone really liked that addition in Halo 4 infection
    Made getting tbagged scary.

Looks awesome danger wasp. Can't wait to see it in action!

8. Post #1848
    July 2014
    109 Posts
    I agree, one thing I hated with Halo 4's infection. Should've went with Halo 2A's flood infected model

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Firefox United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #1849
    December 2016
    99 Posts
    I agree, one thing I hated with Halo 4's infection. Should've went with Halo 2A's flood infected model
    You can't get 2A's infection model.

10. Post #1850
    August 2016
    379 Posts
    Took the words right out of my mouth. lol. though i do hope to see what i can do with the HW2 flood dlc models when they come out. specifically the flood grunt and a few others.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

11. Post #1851
    January 2012
    1,159 Posts
    I know I already dropped a request recently for unmasked Fireteam Osiris from Halo 5 Forge but i have another one, does anyone have the Bannished Wraith?

12. Post #1852
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    7,807 Posts
    Hey all, I've got a question I was hoping someone might be able to answer. I've got a friend who had a customized version made of the Killer Instinct Arbiter port (he wanted the KI model with the feet of the Elite model from Reach instead of the stompy boots on the default) and he just recently found an improved version of the same port. Namely, it has better materials, and he wants to apply those materials to his model. The textures fit perfectly, but the materials themselves have proven extremely tricky, and I'm kind of stumped.

This first pic is using some of the updated model's textures with the custom elite's original VMT, and as you can see, it's totally matte.

Code:
    "VertexLitGeneric"
    {
    "$basetexture" "models/Soulburnin/Halo/Halo_2_Anniversary/Characters/Sangheili/Arbiter/Supreme_Commander/armor_d"
    "$bumpmap" "models/Soulburnin/Halo/Halo_2_Anniversary/Characters/Sangheili/Arbiter/Supreme_Commander/armor_n"

//"$envmap" "models/Soulburnin/Halo/shared/cubemap_brushed_metal_2"
    //"$envmaptint"	"[0.02 0.02 0.02]"
    //"$envmapfresnel" "1"

"$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" "1"

"$nocull" "1"
    "$halflambert" "1"

"$phong" "1"
    "$phongboost" "0.75"
    "$phongexponent" "5"
    "$phongexponenttexture" "models/Soulburnin/Halo/shared/phongexp"
    "$phongfresnelranges" "[4 3 7]"
    "$phongalbedotint" "1"

"$color2" "[0.85 0.85 0.85]"

"$selfillum" "1"
    "$selfillumtint" "[3 3 3]"
    }
    This version is using a modified VMT file that I had hoped would give it the golden look, but as you can see it just looks glossy and brown. Ignore how excessive the highlight is, I tweaked it up too much thinking that might be part of the problem and never changed it back.

Code:
    "VertexLitGeneric"
    {
    "$basetexture" "models/Soulburnin/Halo/Halo_2_Anniversary/Characters/Sangheili/Arbiter/Supreme_Commander/armor_d"
    "$bumpmap" "models/Soulburnin/Halo/Halo_2_Anniversary/Characters/Sangheili/Arbiter/Supreme_Commander/armor_n"

//"$envmap" "models/Soulburnin/Halo/shared/cubemap_brushed_metal_2"
    //"$envmaptint"	"[0 0 0]"
    //"$envmapfresnel" "1"

"$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" "1"

"$nocull" "1"
    "$halflambert" "1"

"$phong" "1"
    "$phongboost" "0.75"
    "$phongexponent" "8"
    "$phongexponenttexture" "models/Soulburnin/Halo/shared/phongexp"
    "$phongfresnelranges" "[1 1.05 1.25]"
    "$phongalbedotint" "0"

"$color2" "[1 0.98 0.804]"

"$emissiveBlendEnabled" "1"
    	"$emissiveBlendTexture"	"models/Soulburnin/Halo/Halo_2_Anniversary/Characters/Sangheili/Arbiter/Supreme_Commander/null"
    	"$emissiveBlendBaseTexture"	"models/Soulburnin/Halo/Halo_2_Anniversary/Characters/Sangheili/Arbiter/Supreme_Commander/retrojudge_acc01_armor_si"
    	"$emissiveBlendFlowTexture"	"models/Soulburnin/Halo/Halo_2_Anniversary/Characters/Sangheili/Arbiter/Supreme_Commander/null"
    	"$emissiveBlendTint" "[0.25 0.25 0.25]"
    	"$emissiveBlendStrength" "1"
    	"$emissiveBlendScrollVector" "[0 0]"

}
    I've tried editing both $envmaptint and $color2 (I didn't try $phongtint for reasons I don't remember) and neither one was able to achieve that golden effect.

On another tack, the updated Anniversary elite has 3 VMT files which I assume make up its material as a whole but I don't know which parts of them I'd need to pull out and put in the custom elite's VMT file. I'd post them here but I don't want to make this post too long as it is.

13. Post #1853
    July 2015
    1,231 Posts
    You have $phongalbedotint set to 0 in that. Set it to 1.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #1854
    August 2016
    379 Posts
    Texture update. tried to retexture the flood part to look like the H3/HCEA flood. does the skin need to be more beige-ish?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #1855

August 2017
    12 Posts
    Do you know where I could find an h5 mark v spartan model for sfm? I'm porting halo 5 spartans to gmod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1102685904 https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/...?id=1102704999
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

16. Post #1856
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    7,807 Posts
    You have $phongalbedotint set to 0 in that. Set it to 1.
    Tried that, it just made the lights brighter, apparently. I looked at the Source dev wiki again; it says $phongalbedotint is masked by the green channel of $phongexponenttexture, which I have a map for, but it's tinting the parts of the model that I don't want tinted (the dark trim on the helmet, for example) and not tinting the parts I do want tinted (the gloss/highlights).

17. Post #1857
    July 2017
    59 Posts
    Normal mapping on my Mk. V Undersuit is about 50% complete:

Left shows the undersuit beneath my Mk. V 3D model, and the one on the right is the undersuit itself. In truth, this has been almost entirely guesstimations, since no Spartan in Mk. V Armor has ever been shown in their undersuit WITHOUT armor. It won't be the focal point for Master Chief, thus I am taking a lot of creative liberty with it. While it is very similar proportionally to Spartan IV Techsuits (That was what I used as a reference, after all), I wanted it to look less organic and aerodynamic than newer designs. And I can imagine Blue Team wearing something similar.

I'm trying to blitz through modeling this since I've already been working on Chief for over a month (Amidst other projects), so I won't be putting as much detail into it as I did the armor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #1858
    August 2016
    379 Posts
    Do you know where I could find an h5 mark v spartan model for sfm? I'm porting halo 5 spartans to gmod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1102685904 https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/...?id=1102704999
    my only criticism is why did you squash in some parts of the model for gmod? you can keep it intact for use as a playermodel.

19. Post #1859

April 2014
    201 Posts
    I'm more confused by the weird bone weighting. Usually the chest piece is weighted solely to the Chest bone, but here the weights seem to be generated automatically, which doesn't really work well for armour. At all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPad Safari United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

20. Post #1860
    July 2014
    109 Posts
    I didn't mean get the model, I meant that Halo 4's infected model should've appeared more similar to how 2A did it. (More Original trilogy flood design.)

21. Post #1861
    December 2016
    99 Posts
    Normal mapping on my Mk. V Undersuit is about 50% complete
    Have you tried giving it a fabric-like texture and less gloss?
    I think it's made it look more like the Halo 3 undersuit.

22. Post #1862
    July 2017
    59 Posts
    Have you tried giving it a fabric-like texture and less gloss?
    I think it's made it look more like the Halo 3 undersuit.
    Like this?

Photoshop plugin I found that allows one to merge two Normal Maps together easily is a godsend. I left specific sections of the undersuit without the fabric texture to give those parts more of a plastic look.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #1863

April 2014
    201 Posts
    That looks awesome. Not like a fabric like Lemming suggested, but I wasn't fond of that idea in the first place (Not a lover of the leathery gloves in H5 either). But I think that looks perfect with the textured rubber effect.

24. Post #1864
    February 2010
    840 Posts
    I'd add some accents there at the angled pieces on the belly, as well as some metallic shine on the edges.

25. Post #1865
    August 2015
    115 Posts
    Texture update. tried to retexture the flood part to look like the H3/HCEA flood. does the skin need to be more beige-ish?
    Yeah, I think it could be a bit more beige. It looks just a little bit too green IMO, especially when you compare it with the armor colors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #1866
    December 2016
    99 Posts
    Like this?
    Yeah that's pretty much what I meant, fabric was the only word I could think of.

27. Post #1867
    June 2010
    717 Posts
    Normal mapping on my Mk. V Undersuit is about 50% complete:

Left shows the undersuit beneath my Mk. V 3D model, and the one on the right is the undersuit itself. In truth, this has been almost entirely guesstimations, since no Spartan in Mk. V Armor has ever been shown in their undersuit WITHOUT armor. It won't be the focal point for Master Chief, thus I am taking a lot of creative liberty with it. While it is very similar proportionally to Spartan IV Techsuits (That was what I used as a reference, after all), I wanted it to look less organic and aerodynamic than newer designs. And I can imagine Blue Team wearing something similar.

I'm trying to blitz through modeling this since I've already been working on Chief for over a month (Amidst other projects), so I won't be putting as much detail into it as I did the armor.
    I know it's probably too late now, but I'd suggest maybe using the Halo Wars and Halo Wars 2 Mark IV as a reference for the undersuit designs

28. Post #1868
    August 2016
    379 Posts
    I believe I got the color down now

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #1869
    July 2017
    59 Posts
    I know it's probably too late now, but I'd suggest maybe using the Halo Wars and Halo Wars 2 Mark IV as a reference for the undersuit designs
    An interesting idea, but I wanted to make sure the undersuit was differentiated from Mk. IV and Mk. VI suits. So I'll just leave it as is. Next question for you all, which do you prefer:

Look at the stomach pieces, should the plastic parts be a lighter gray (left), darker gray (right) or be pretty much the same color and just highlight the edges?

30. Post #1870
    May 2017
    158 Posts
    Noice

31. Post #1871
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    3,064 Posts
    I'm liking the one on the right
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #1872
    August 2016
    379 Posts
    the one on the right looks nice

33. Post #1873
    July 2017
    59 Posts
    Okie dokie. This should be one of the last pictures of my not video game rip of Master Chief invading the video game rip thread:

I'm going ahead and considering Master Chief's model finished for the project I have in mind... His bones do need some work, still... I simplified and combined the Blender materials I had immensely, turning some 20 images into a mere 5 textures for his armor and undersuit. The undersuit is simple I know, but it isn't something I'm gonna take another month to work on as no one will pay much attention to it. And if I add anything else to the diffuse texture it won't be visible with his armor on.

Telemus asked a page or two ago what I made this model for. I'm going to start small with an animation of Master Chief battling a group of Sangheili in a yet to be determined location, but what I've had my eye on to do for quite some time is... Ambitious. I would like to see about doing a retelling of Halo: The Flood. A story which greatly expanded upon the game which started it all. And as a huge Halo fan I would love to see the other perspectives - The ODSTs, Covenant, and flood told in animation form.

Again that is... A massive undertaking for one person, but I want to try if for no other reason than because I haven't seen anyone else attempt to do a Halo animation quite like what I have in mind. The most ambitious Halo 3D animated work that I've seen is HALOID. It was a fan crossover to be sure, but Monty Oum... May he rest in peace, created a fantastic fight animation that I haven't seen emulated anywhere else, and was a big inspiration for me to become a 3D Artist. So I would like to do something crazy that hasn't really be done before (Specifically, a quality Halo animation using only custom assets).

-Ehem- So anyway, that's what I'm aiming for. Along with one other project I'm going to get back to now that Chief is finished... Also, would anybody have use for the Blend file of this model once I have the rigging working better?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #1874
    August 2016
    379 Posts
    really enjoyed Halo: The Flood. Really look forward to what you'll accomplish! :D

35. Post #1875
    October 2016
    313 Posts
    Also, would anybody have use for the Blend file of this model once I have the rigging working better?
    Well I could remake my Halo CEA Chief PAC that uses the actual models from
    The game, that would be pretty cool. I would make it a pm or SFM addon if I knew how but well..

36. Post #1876
    February 2010
    840 Posts
    Blender, no. OBJ, yes. I'd LOVE to have the files for your Mjolnir MK 5. If you don't mind, I'd also like to see if I can't take a crack at his armor textures too, see if I can't get them to be a little more awesome.

37. Post #1877
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    4,374 Posts
    Would anyone happen to have those tools that were used for extracting models and textures from Halo: Online? I seem to have lost my installer for the tools, and I need to re-extract some of the weapon models due to the accidental deletion of a folder that I thought was my scrapped mods folder.

38. Post #1878
    April 2017
    38 Posts
    If you're handing out copies of the .blend file I'd be up for that :)

39. Post #1879
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    7,807 Posts
    If you're handing out copies of the .blend file I'd be up for that :)
    As would I, that's some wonderful work there.

40. Post #1880
    January 2012
    181 Posts

-Ehem- So anyway, that's what I'm aiming for. Along with one other project I'm going to get back to now that Chief is finished... Also, would anybody have use for the Blend file of this model once I have the rigging working better?
    Not sure if you've seen my PM, but I am really interested in using it for a fan made Halo game I've been working on.

E: although I'd need a format that's compatible with 3ds max. The rig doesn't have to be transferred because I'd have to rig it to a new skeleton anyway.