1. Post #3521
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    8,737 Posts
    Those pics are so good, does anyone have a clean scan of the whole thing? I love all the group shots

lmao at Spy taking a piss
    check the previous page.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #3522
    February 2014
    633 Posts
    Just a question because I never really saw an answer for it, what happened with Frontline?

Was it another community thing that was given the blind eye from Valve?
    Or did they notice it but drop it because of the previous issue with 'Team End of the Line'

It's one of those themes that I genuinely adored, especially the cosmetics, the goofy looking tank payloads and even down to the supply drops for capturing areas.
    Heck they even put in sea mines, as if they remembered you can put underwater sections on your maps. Something that felt rather abandoned by official map makers.

I'd really hate for Valve to just throw it to the corner after all the amazing effort these groups of people have put into it, the love and care shown is astounding and I just want Valve to speak out about it.

3. Post #3523
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    9,496 Posts
    What happened is that Valve are, reportedly, no longer taking community updates "wholesale", so to speak.

So if anything from Frontline is to make it in, it'd be either be solo (like one map gets added in a campaign) or in a "War Three: This Time It's Everyone" update that Valve has the controls on.

The same goes for Mayann, or Iron Gauntlet, or any other community updates.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Late Late x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #3524
    February 2014
    633 Posts
    Well that's disheartening to hear.

We'll have to see how this 'Jungle Update' goes I suppose, just to see TFTeam's so called control over community made content.

If it's super restrictive I can't see much fun or creativity when making maps or items for such updates, and if the issue of sale percentage gets borked because of item tiers then R.I.P high-quality community updates.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Internet Explorer 11 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #3525
    July 2007
    754 Posts
    Due to a few previous community updates featuring immature drama behind the scenes, the TF team was unable to trust the community to handle updates.

The team is currently trying a new model that we're seeing with the upcoming Jungle shindig. Basically it's them saying "We are going to do X theme, feel free to make content that fits." The community makes a bunch of stuff that falls under the theme, then the TF team selects from that pool to push with the update.

Frontline itself is more of a sub-theme. Like Spytech, it works well in many other themes. In fact, we've already gotten some of the Frontline assets in the game as they were used in cp_sunshine. It meshes well with the jungle theme under the banner of jungle warfare, so you can expect to see more of it with that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Internet Explorer 11 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #3526
    November 2015
    120 Posts
    If it's super restrictive I can't see much fun or creativity when making maps or items for such updates
    Any future community updates will be announced like that: http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=25647

And I don't see how it's "restrictive", it's not different (artistically speaking), from Valve saying on their blog "We decided to pick the Mayann project as the next community update [...]", you would still have to make jungle themed stuff.

7. Post #3527
    February 2014
    633 Posts
    Any future community updates will be announced like that: http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=25647

And I don't see how it's "restrictive", it's not different (artistically speaking), from Valve saying on their blog "We decided to pick the Mayann project as the next community update [...]", you would still have to make jungle themed stuff.
    I say it being restrictive as unique mechanics on certain maps could be asked to be removed or simply ignored because they go out of the norm. (I remember one jungle map having a boulder environmental hazard which was pretty fun)
    Of course this is a small possibility, but I just don't have a huge amount of confidence when it comes to TFTeam.

8. Post #3528
    September 2012
    2,355 Posts
    Given how popular the Frontline theme was with the community my guess is we'll see Valve announce it as the next TF2 theme either this fall or early next year and we'll get a war/frontline themed update with a new Valve map in summer 2018.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Firefox United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 5Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #3529
    September 2014
    1,908 Posts
    I'm afraid that the next MJ will be very good, valve will see how much positive feedback theyve received and decide theyll do annual updates now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #3530
    September 2016
    130 Posts
    I'm afraid that the next MJ will be very good, valve will see how much positive feedback theyve received and decide theyll do annual updates now
    You know this will bite you in the ass later right?There is an actual probability that this might be the case.

11. Post #3531
    September 2014
    1,908 Posts
    You know this will bite you in the ass later right?There is an actual probability that this might be the case.
    How will an assumption bite me back in the ass?

12. Post #3532
    July 2013
    384 Posts
    I'm afraid that the next MJ will be very good
    Why do you keep using 'MJ' as an abbreviation for 'major update'? Or are you talking about the resurrection of Michael Jackson?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Chrome Czech Republic Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

13. Post #3533
    October 2014
    103 Posts
    Listening to my vinyl, it has secret ambient tracks. Instead of the standard lock in groove most vinyl has, the pressing company replaced it with the soundscapes from different maps. I'm ripping the audio now for upload, but I can't place the sounds from one of the tracks. Side 3, the blue vinyl, has a marsh like sound, with a distant thunderstorm. Which map would that be?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7Informative Informative x 3 (list)

14. Post #3534
    hello
    October 2011
    6,386 Posts
    Listening to my vinyl, it has secret ambient tracks. Instead of the standard lock in groove move vinyl has, the pressing company replaced it with the soundscapes from different maps. I'm ripping the audio now for upload, but I can't place the sounds from one of the tracks. Side 3, the blue vinyl, has a marsh like sound, with a distant thunderstorm. Which map would that be?
    sawmill? only map that i could think of that'd match your description.

15. Post #3535
    October 2014
    103 Posts
    sawmill? only map that i could think of that'd match your description.
    There are two thunderstorm maps, and neither have a saw in the background. Side 2 on the red vinyl was when I assumed Sawmill. I'd also like to saw that this is an incredible pressing, they somehow got ROBOTS to sound good on vinyl with great bass response. I'm very happy with my purchase.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

16. Post #3536
    July 2012
    8,705 Posts
    I got my copy of the record in the mail today too. Here are some pictures because I remember some of you guys wondering what the packaging looked like.

The last picture is of the poster. I ordered it off Amazon so I didn't pick which poster I wanted, so I dunno if they are all the "blue" option, or I was just lucky and got the one I liked the most. If you guys want more indepth pictures feel free to ask but I gotta go to work in a bit so it'll probably have to wait.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

17. Post #3537
    January 2015
    1,379 Posts
    Does playing the vinyls backwards summon bonzo the evil circus god?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #3538
    October 2014
    103 Posts
    I don't want to hype anyone up, but the third soundscape is one I cannot place, and sounds like a Jungle. Ripping finished, rendering out the results.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9Optimistic Optimistic x 1Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #3539
    January 2015
    1,379 Posts
    Is it the soundscape that comes with the swamp theme? I would also like to suggest that it could be Borneo, mountain lab, or moonshine
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply iPhone Safari United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #3540
    July 2016
    227 Posts
    Does playing the vinyls backwards summon bonzo the evil circus god?
    It gives the date of the big update coming

21. Post #3541
    September 2014
    1,908 Posts
    Why do you keep using 'MJ' as an abbreviation for 'major update'? Or are you talking about the resurrection of Michael Jackson?
    to be fair at this point I dont know which one of those is coming sooner
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

22. Post #3542
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,993 Posts
    Does anyone remember that project where people were modeling weapons based on stats of ill-fitting TF2 weapons that were already in-game? I remember a Nitrogen canister knife for Spy and a laser rocket Launcher based on the laser in Gravelpit. Is there a link to that old thread?

If Michael Jackson's Moonwalker gets remade and SEGA brings out a hologram Michael I will count that

23. Post #3543
    January 2012
    1,073 Posts
    There are two thunderstorm maps, and neither have a saw in the background. Side 2 on the red vinyl was when I assumed Sawmill. I'd also like to saw that this is an incredible pressing, they somehow got ROBOTS to sound good on vinyl with great bass response. I'm very happy with my purchase.
    Looks like they took no chances and put "Robots!" as Track 2 of Side 3 which is one of the outermost tracks. In general, you would want to put all the loud songs closer to the edge of the record where they can spread out and the soft songs near the center. Putting it nearer to the center would have compressed the grooves together and dampened bass response since there is no room for the grooves to spread out in the smaller diameters, otherwise known as inner groove distortion. It's also why records sound worse the closer you get to the center and what drives the explanation for this Calvin and Hobbes comic.

The angular velocity (RPM) remains the same, but the linear velocity continuously drops as you get closer to the center, resulting in less data passing under the needle per second.

This phenomenon still plagues all disc-based media which is why CDs constantly change RPM to maintain consistent data density/playback.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

24. Post #3544
    October 2014
    103 Posts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-v7...ValveNewsExtra

Here is my rip of the secret tracks on the vinyl.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 12 (list)

25. Post #3545
    September 2015
    783 Posts
    I'm hoping there's cool extras with the tf2 vinyl/soundtrack that hint at what could be in the next update.

Like a promo item that starts an arg or music from a future update/the in-progress SFM that hasn't been heard before.
    Listening to my vinyl, it has secret ambient tracks. Instead of the standard lock in groove most vinyl has, the pressing company replaced it with the soundscapes from different maps. I'm ripping the audio now for upload, but I can't place the sounds from one of the tracks. Side 3, the blue vinyl, has a marsh like sound, with a distant thunderstorm. Which map would that be?
    I don't want to hype anyone up, but the third soundscape is one I cannot place, and sounds like a Jungle. Ripping finished, rendering out the results.

CALLED IT

ty based tyler

Edited:

also holy fuck these tracks sound ominous outside of the game
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #3546
    January 2015
    1,379 Posts
    If it is a map in game I suspect it it moonshine. Don't know what 4 is supposed to be, though.

27. Post #3547
    August 2014
    1,759 Posts
    We still have another 500 years until Michael Jackson comes back as Space Michael, so Valve are in it for the long haul.

Jungle Update confirmed for 2518.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Firefox United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #3548
    ics
    May 2006
    257 Posts

Side 1: ctf_2fort (Soundscape: 2fort.OutdoorPond)
    Side 2: pl_thundermountain (Soundscape: ThunderMountain.Outside)
    Side 3: Does not exist in the current game. I'm 99,9% sure about this. Has to be from new map / new sounds added to the game depot. Quite a tease!
    Side 4: Can be from any halloween map, i use it in Hellstone too. (Soundscape: Halloween.hell)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Firefox Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 6Artistic Artistic x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

29. Post #3549
    November 2012
    1,361 Posts
    If it is a map in game I suspect it it moonshine. Don't know what 4 is supposed to be, though.
    i'm reasonably sure 4 is the underworld from viaduct event. it's not the one from hightower, that one's a bit different.

30. Post #3550
    June 2014
    2,426 Posts
    So I just sent a suggestion to Jill, and I think you guys would like to read it, as I think I've finally figured out the solution to airblast's stunlock problem.

"Hello,
    I have come up with a small core class idea that might interest you, for the Pyro Update, if possible.

For as long as Pyro has had airblast, people have complained about its capacity to stunlock opponents, which is no fun to play against. On the other hand, I enjoy playing Pyro, and airblast is an incredible tool for offense and defense. But I do believe that its current offensive capability is significantly greater than what it should be.

So to fix this, I propose that a cooldown be added to airblast's power. If this change were to occur, anyone could still spam airblast as much as they wanted, but it would not push people much at all until that cooldown meter were about halfway full. For a nice analogy of what I mean by all this, look at the weapon swing cooldown in minecraft post 1.9. You can swing as fast as you want, but it only does significant damage if you wait.

Now, airblast, at any level of cooldown, with this change, could still reflect rockets as fast as it can currently. Airblast's timing was meant to mirror the Soldier's rocket launcher, if I remember correctly, so that the Pyro could easily beat a predictable Soldier. And I think it should stay that way.

To offset the weaknesses that this would grant the Pyro, I suggest that airblast's base power be increased noticeably, as well as the flame thrower's direct damage (if you can't lock someone into a corner to shoot them up with shotgun shots or flares, then you should at least be able to burn them to death)."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8.1 Firefox United States Show Events Late Late x 2Agree Agree x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #3551
    October 2016
    131 Posts
    Hello mercenary [Blackavar]! Greetings, from the year 2017!

Airblast spam was nerfed two years ago during tough break to enable airstraifing and movement. The flamethrower's direct damage was also increased during the pyromania update.

Sarcasm aside, direct buffs won't solve the problem of the flamethrower's unreliable particle physics (which, mind you, when working properly provides a respectably high DPS) or the skewed, wonky reflect angles.

We want consistency, not to buff broken mechanics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #3552
    June 2014
    2,426 Posts
    Airblast spam was nerfed two years ago during tough break to enable airstrafing and movement.
    That doesn't fix what happens when a Pyro has someone cornered. Also, the first airblast from the ground still removes the ability to strafe. Allowing all strafing movement on airblast would be a good change, make it act like explosive knockback, etc etc...

The flamethrower's direct damage was also increased during the pyromania update.
    Not enough. Pyro should be doing as much damage as Heavy at his optimal range. EDIT: If this is too much for you, you could make the flame hitboxes significantly smaller. Increase the level of falloff at range. Lots of options. Raise the skill ceiling.

Direct buffs won't solve the problem of the flamethrower's unreliable particle physics (which mind you when operating optimally has more than enough DPS for the amount of skill needed), or the skewed, wonky reflect angles.
    I don't disagree with those points (besides the point in parenthesis, heheh). The flamethrower's visible particles should match the invisible hitboxes, and should not operate differently depending on player connection speed. You could also make the flamethrower a short-range hitscan weapon (though I like the kind of skill ceiling the current hitbox physics could apply if you could just see them). And yes, reflecting needs to be fixed. Instead of a big box, it should be a cone. Etc etc. I've made all these points before.

33. Post #3553
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    8,737 Posts
    Side 1: ctf_2fort (Soundscape: 2fort.OutdoorPond)
    Side 2: pl_thundermountain (Soundscape: ThunderMountain.Outside)
    Side 3: Does not exist in the current game. I'm 99,9% sure about this. Has to be from new map / new sounds added to the game depot. Quite a tease!
    Side 4: Can be from any halloween map, i use it in Hellstone too. (Soundscape: Halloween.hell)
    i though side 3 was mountainlab's blue spawn.

34. Post #3554
    Gold Member
    July 2013
    183 Posts
    Side 3 sounds like it shares some sounds with Sawmill, but the new sounds (the animal calls/noises) are definitely new!

35. Post #3555
    June 2014
    468 Posts
    Side 3 definitely sounds new, I can't recognize it from any maps

I think it's safe to assume it's a tease for the Jungle update

36. Post #3556
    October 2016
    131 Posts
    i though side 3 was mountainlab's blue spawn.
    Last I checked there weren't any tropical birds or arboreal primates in mountainlab's blue spawn.