1. Post #121
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,246 Posts
    If anyone's interested we wrote a big fat blog post on how we made the FPS rig and got it into UE4 that I posted above. I'm sure there's improvements to be made but might point some people in the right direction. We wrote it cause we never found anything that specific or updated.

Also the wrist death on the KRISS is nothing compared to the deagle

Yeah when I was following the tutorial I skipped the wrist controller part because I figured things like that would happen.

2. Post #122
    March 2008
    1,784 Posts
    Actually the wrist controller allows me to easily fix it, i just didn't notice that animation until I put it in game

Wayyy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Android Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #123
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,141 Posts
    So while I was at the VFX festival in London the other day. I was talking to someone about VR and motion sickness. They mentioned that in most cases, it's usually acceleration up to speed that triggers it.

Now, I'm really sensitive to motion sickness. When I first tried Windlands, I suffered for 2 days afterwards. Remembering the discussion I had, I loaded up the ShowdownVR demo from the UE4 marketplace and gave it a go. In it, you move down a street at a constant speed.

I was eating my dinner while watching and felt almost no effects of motion sickness. The sudden stop at the end jarred me a little but I didn't feel sick.

Just thought I'd share that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #124
    March 2014
    3,313 Posts
    Hey all, here's that trail-carving tutorial:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4Useful Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #125
    March 2014
    3,313 Posts
    Working on a (hopefully) ease of use asset.

6. Post #126
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,608 Posts
    Well this is pretty much finished now aside from a few tweaks here and there.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Winner Winner x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #127
    November 2007
    215 Posts
    For valentines day and my love of VFX.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #128
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,729 Posts

Finally!, this time its ( properly ) handled trough C++, I use a single UMG Widget for the text properties. And since i can modify each text character i can apply individual colors, effects, etc . im pretty glad i have a good base to work on now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Venezuela Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

9. Post #129
    November 2007
    215 Posts

Using vector fields from my software is proving to put out some pretty cool results :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

10. Post #130
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,246 Posts
    4.15 !

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-4-15-Released!

Looking at all these changes I think I'll just update my whole project to it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Waterfox Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

11. Post #131
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,729 Posts
    So, for my game ( and since i absolutely dislike level design ) i was thinking of buying a landscape from the marketplace, to be specific affordable landscapes 2

Since -> That landscape fits perfectly the whole mood and its essentialy where the whole game will take place, Thing is the pack contains other 2 landscapes which i really dont need and paying 150$ for a single landscape feels a little bit steep, Am i better off finding someone to recreate that or all in all its a good price?

12. Post #132
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    21,027 Posts
    landscapes aren't that hard to learn
    definitely not $150 hard to learn
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,608 Posts
    If you find yourself not able to create content such as the grass (meshes, and textures) and other landscape textures then its probably cheapest to buy the landscape as it generally costs much more to hire someone. But, if youre proficient enough at making textures then I would say its a better deal to learn how to make it yourself (hint: like Oicani said, its not very hard)

14. Post #134
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    5,370 Posts
    To be fair though, Affordable Landscapes 2 has basically the best landscapes I've seen in UE4. I'd say they look better than the kite demo.

Edited:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAf...3SsHyyw/videos

I recommend this tutorial series if you end up doing it yourself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

15. Post #135
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,141 Posts
    On the topic of landscapes, has anyone got any good tutorial series on using world machine with UE4? I know how to get landscapes in, but I have no idea how to go about texturing them on a large scale. Using stacks of masks from world machine doesn't seem like the most efficient way to do it - there's got to be an easier, more efficient way.

I also went to a seminar at the VFX festival in London where Houdini demoed the upcoming terrain generation tools and they look astounding. Everything updates in realtime and the screens they had dotted about showing off work, was exclusively done in Unreal Engine. I'm certain it's going to dethrone World Machine as the top terrain generation tool.

Edited:

Here's the video they had up

Arstation Link

The guy who gave the presentation was Scott Keating, not the artist responsible for the above landscape.

16. Post #136
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,729 Posts
    Welp thats more responses than i expected, Thanks ,

I did try modelling and texturing but i got way too frustrated at it, Hence why i stick to programming, ui design, game design and such. So yeah i think ill just end up buying the asset . Still thanks for the feedback and links!, i might as well just give it a shot

17. Post #137
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,141 Posts
    Has anyone got experience with using the Custom Stencil buffer?

I'm no tech artist, but I've got to this stage with it using this example

I'm wondering if there's a way to not have the outlines occluded, and so have the outlines continue around each object, instead of blending into one. (and possibly have the outlines be occluded by static meshes, as the objects are going to be inside a building, and I don't really want wallhacks)

The purpose is this is for creating a scanning tool in my project: I want players to explore an environment for objects and be able to determine if the objects are interactive through a handheld scanner screen. I've blended it with the depth buffer so that the player has to be close to the object to see it, but that's as far as I've got.

The original idea was to have a seperate material that was only visible to the player through the render target but I haven't found any examples of that, and don't even know how I would achieve that.

18. Post #138
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    14,811 Posts

👀

19. Post #139
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    4,658 Posts
    So, for my game ( and since i absolutely dislike level design ) i was thinking of buying a landscape from the marketplace, to be specific affordable landscapes 2

Since -> That landscape fits perfectly the whole mood and its essentialy where the whole game will take place, Thing is the pack contains other 2 landscapes which i really dont need and paying 150$ for a single landscape feels a little bit steep, Am i better off finding someone to recreate that or all in all its a good price?
    download kite demo and take as many assets as you need from it, didn't stop Squad from doing it

20. Post #140
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,141 Posts
    download kite demo and take as many assets as you need from it, didn't stop Squad from doing it
    NO.

Download the content pack, which is what they would have done. The kite demo itself is fucking huge, hence why they published all it's assets to a free asset pack on the marketplace.

21. Post #141
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    4,658 Posts
    NO.

Download the content pack, which is what they would have done. The kite demo itself is fucking huge, hence why they published all it's assets to a free asset pack on the marketplace.
    that asset pack is missing quite a few things out of it, hence why I didn't say to download the content pack

22. Post #142
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    899 Posts

precious little coaster.

Edited:

But basically what's shown here is an exporter I made so one can design a rollercoaster in nolimits, and import it as a spline component into ue4
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,141 Posts
    that asset pack is missing quite a few things out of it, hence why I didn't say to download the content pack
    Like what? I assumed it had everything :/

24. Post #144
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    10,542 Posts
    If anyone's interested we wrote a big fat blog post on how we made the FPS rig and got it into UE4 that I posted above. I'm sure there's improvements to be made but might point some people in the right direction. We wrote it cause we never found anything that specific or updated.

Also the wrist death on the KRISS is nothing compared to the deagle
    One thing I don't understand from your system : does this allow you to ultimately use one rig for everything? or do you still hve to mess with it as you implement more weapons?

25. Post #145
    September 2013
    797 Posts

Holy fuck

And they just slipped this in there like it's no big deal
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Chrome United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #146
    March 2008
    1,784 Posts
    One thing I don't understand from your system : does this allow you to ultimately use one rig for everything? or do you still hve to mess with it as you implement more weapons?
    Yeah it means every weapon is sharing the same skeleton. As long as all the names of the bones are the same when I export a weapon it doesn't matter if they're different sizes/locations
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

27. Post #147
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21,093 Posts
    Does anyone know if there's a way to have a decal that follows along a spline, like a spline mesh would but without it actually using a mesh? Using decals to add roads would make it possible to have the roads actually properly follow all the shapes of a terrain which wouldn't really work with a mesh. I imagine I could make the decal on its own with the shape I need and export it as a texture or as a bunch of tiles and then manually place them on the map, but that'd be kinda tedious.

28. Post #148
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    5,370 Posts
    Nope! :)

To be specific, there's no way to make a proper spline decal. Mesh decals could work, but they don't "project" onto a surface like a regular decal would, so they would still end up floating above the surface a bit (or clipping through).

I'm still kind of bitter that Epic hasn't implemented this yet, as it kind of prevents you from having nice roads/trails/anything on your landscape unless it's completely perfectly flat.

29. Post #149
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21,093 Posts
    I decided to just make it out of a bunch of decals made out of tiles that I rendered out in 3ds max. It works pretty well, but it is pretty damn tedious to do.

30. Post #150
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    21,027 Posts
    couldnt you use splines with a very simple plane model?

31. Post #151
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,608 Posts
    Then the issue of clipping comes about and how it doesnt actually follow the landscape.

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,141 Posts
    What's wrong with having a road mesh that's slightly raised that uses a world-aligned edge texture that hides the clipping on the landscape?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 New Opera United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #153
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21,093 Posts
    Then the terrain has to be really flat in the areas that have the road cause otherwise making sure it lines up would be kind of a pain in the ass. With decals it just goes on top of whatever shape the terrain has with zero problems.

34. Post #154
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    5,370 Posts
    I don't contribute much so here's a landscape material I've been working on for the past few weeks (on and off)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Winner Winner x 3 (list)

35. Post #155
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    6,141 Posts
    Then the terrain has to be really flat in the areas that have the road cause otherwise making sure it lines up would be kind of a pain in the ass. With decals it just goes on top of whatever shape the terrain has with zero problems.
    Doesn't the landscape tool's built in road spline editor do this anyway?

I've not used it but I'd be surprised if it didn't do that.

36. Post #156
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,246 Posts
    Doesn't the landscape tool's built in road spline editor do this anyway?

I've not used it but I'd be surprised if it didn't do that.
    The spline tool for landscapes lets you place spline meshes while deforming the landscape around em.

Its great for placing roads on uneven ground since it just smooths it out.

37. Post #157
    March 2014
    3,313 Posts
    Couldn't sleep, tried out a different basebuilding method, kinda like The Sims.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

38. Post #158
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,608 Posts
    This isnt anything special at the moment, but Ive spent the last few days learning substance designer and started a scene that I am going to completely texture with procedural textures I create in designer. It feels really nice to be able to create everything from scratch.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 10 Chrome Canada Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #159
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    6,276 Posts
    Are there any benefits to working in C++ as opposed to Blueprints? It seems that working in C++ is just more of a hassle than using Blueprints.

40. Post #160
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    3,608 Posts
    Are there any benefits to working in C++ as opposed to Blueprints? It seems that working in C++ is just more of a hassle than using Blueprints.
    It really depends on what you are trying to do, blueprints are great for high level stuff like gameplay, but not the best for low level stuff like data management and other such things.